Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Needed with Crap on my computer

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,398 Times in 3,150 Posts

Help Needed with Crap on my computer

Hi All,

Sorry to bother everyone with this, but I need some help. I've been Googling for hours, removing programmes, etc.

Long story short, I downloaded some crap, I thought it was to update flash player. Turns out it dumped a whole lot of programmes and pop up ads. I've got rid of most of it. Now it's running a lot more smoothly.

But now my home page is Tikotin, I did not ask for this. Turns out that Tikotin is not very nice. I can't figure out how to get rid of it. It doesn't show as a programme in my control panel, so can't remove it.

I'm worried that it's looking at my bank details, log ins. Just a hunch. I am no computer hi-tech wiz.

Has anyone had any experience with this.

Again, sorry to ask. I just don't know what to do and I feel my personal details are in danger. I hope I'm just being a worry-wart.

Sooz

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

Calabash (21st January 2015), Highland1 (21st January 2015), lookbeyond (21st January 2015), Spiral (21st January 2015), The One (21st January 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 48,690 Times in 10,221 Posts
    Hello

Have a look in installed programme's and if its there uninstall it

Also type this in search %temp% you can delete everything in there as well

If all else fails you could try this http://www.techsupportall.com/how-to...-removal-help/

What browser are you using
    No one person can ever change the truth, but the truth, once learned, can and will change the person

You must be the change you wish to see in the world when you are through changing, you are through

theonetruth forum status theonetruth facebook

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The One For This Useful Post:

Highland1 (21st January 2015), Sooz (21st January 2015)

Thanks
    If you use internet explorer

go to tools then click internet options

You will see that is probably says www.TikoTin.com, replace it to www.google.com, then click on apply and close.

Then go back tools internet options and then click manage add ons you can disable in there
    No one person can ever change the truth, but the truth, once learned, can and will change the person

You must be the change you wish to see in the world when you are through changing, you are through

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The One For This Useful Post:

Highland1 (21st January 2015), Lord Sidious (21st January 2015), Sooz (21st January 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,470 Times in 981 Posts
    I would recommend you download a free version of malwarebytes Sooz and it will do a full root scan and remove any crap as it goes.
    Imo, worth buying after the free trial ends.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

Good luck!

Russ

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Highland1 For This Useful Post:

Calabash (21st January 2015), Sooz (21st January 2015), The One (21st January 2015)

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Thanks Malc,

I have looked at installed programmes, it's not listed, that's what makes me worried. It's hidden somewhere.

Will try the %temp%. Thanks!

Will also try the techsupport link you supplied - thanks again.

I use Internet Explorer mostly. Some other sites I have to use Chrome.

Thanks heaps Malc. Really appreciate your help.

Sooz
    x

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

Highland1 (21st January 2015), The One (21st January 2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Sooz View Post
    Thanks Malc,

I have looked at installed programmes, it's not listed, that's what makes me worried. It's hidden somewhere.

Will try the %temp%. Thanks!

Will also try the techsupport link you supplied - thanks again.

I use Internet Explorer mostly. Some other sites I have to use Chrome.

Thanks heaps Malc. Really appreciate your help.

Sooz
    x
    If you use internet explorer you should be able to do it manually.Just do what i said here http://jandeane81.com/threads/5280-H...#post841896158

cheers

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The One For This Useful Post:

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    OK, did what you said Malc and it's changed my home page to google. I don't use google normally. I use start page. But it's better than Tikotin as a home page!

I was trying to do some bill paying today and very strange things were happening, could not connect to pay bills, hence I thought my bank details may have been in compromised.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help.

I think I may get my IT guy in tomorrow to check things out, just to be sure. My IT guy is very suspicious of anything and everything! He's not a member of TOT, but he's one of us.

Sooz

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

Calabash (21st January 2015), Highland1 (21st January 2015), The One (21st January 2015)

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Well, I hope this may help others. Got to be very mindful of stuff which is going on with the net.

You can't be too careful.

And be VERY careful what you download! Think twice.
    Last edited by Sooz, 21st January 2015 at 11:25.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

Highland1 (21st January 2015), lookbeyond (21st January 2015), The One (21st January 2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Sooz View Post
    OK, did what you said Malc and it's changed my home page to google. I don't use google normally. I use start page. But it's better than Tikotin as a home page!

I was trying to do some bill paying today and very strange things were happening, could not connect to pay bills, hence I thought my bank details may have been in compromised.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help.

I think I may get my IT guy in tomorrow to check things out, just to be sure. My IT guy is very suspicious of anything and everything! He's not a member of TOT, but he's one of us.

Sooz
    If you dont want to use google just change it to this https://startpage.com/ then click on apply and close

walla done

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The One For This Useful Post:

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,662 Times in 1,289 Posts
    :Seffect: At times you are not alone.
    I had a crazy thing happen the other week ,there was malwear and all sorts of pop ups everywhere ,even all over tot pages (heaven forbid!) but i hadn't downloaded anything!
    After running anti virus and malware removers anti everybloodything still the problem prevailed so i wiped google and any and all search engines,all history,and downloads, and re installed google . problem solved.
    but i lost a whole lot of stuff that i had in in my bookmarks folders, years of links and things of interest that i had placed there that i would refer to from time to time. so if you need to do this save the valuables first on your desktop at least or in a sub folder somewhere or on an external hardrive.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tonz For This Useful Post:

Calabash (21st January 2015), Highland1 (21st January 2015), Sooz (21st January 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,684 Times in 1,382 Posts
    Sooz, you may well find that when you reboot the computer, the home page is back to the nasty one again. These crap-ware things are quite persistent.

Here's a sequence of procedures for you.

As Russ said, download the free version of malwarebytes and install it. Don't choose the option to trail the full paid version.

Let it have a good dig through and see what it dislikes. It's give you a list of what it's found. With very few exceptions, it's usually wise to let it wipe-out all that it's found, so best do that, if it finds anything.

Another good second line of attack is to download Spybot Search and Destroy. Same routine.

Oh, make sure you update the malware databases of both ( not program updates )

Even after all that, you may still have crapware in the system that still causes crazy things to happen, but once you've hammered the active malware, it's going to be easier to fix the glitches and they stay fixed.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Useful Post:

Calabash (21st January 2015), Highland1 (21st January 2015), lookbeyond (21st January 2015), Sooz (21st January 2015)

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by norman View Post
    Sooz, you may well find that when you reboot the computer, the home page is back to the nasty one again. These crap-ware things are quite persistent.

Here's a sequence of procedures for you.

As Russ said, download the free version of malwarebytes and install it. Don't choose the option to trail the full paid version.

Let it have a good dig through and see what it dislikes. It's give you a list of what it's found. With very few exceptions, it's usually wise to let it wipe-out all that it's found, so best do that, if it finds anything.

Another good second line of attack is to download Spybot Search and Destroy. Same routine.

Oh, make sure you update the malware databases of both ( not program updates )

Even after all that, you may still have crapware in the system that still causes crazy things to happen, but once you've hammered the active malware, it's going to be easier to fix the glitches and they stay fixed.
    Thanks Norman, really appreciate that. I hope this thread is not a nuisance and that everyone learns something to keep their comps clean and running well, so we can all be part of TOT without interference from malware.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

Highland1 (21st January 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,882 Times in 3,290 Posts
    It sounds like a "root kit" this a type of malware that hides in many other folders & can reconstitute itself

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products...i-rootkit.aspx

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Useful Post:

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,684 Times in 1,382 Posts
    Yea, root-kit or not, it's a good idea to NOT ! switch your computer off before you've run an anti malware application or two.

It's very common for these nasties to dig even deeper into the system if you give them the luxury of a reboot while they are still undetected and active.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Useful Post:

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks

I'm going to bed now before I get even more confused, lol...see you on the other side.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

Highland1 (21st January 2015)