Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Needed with Crap on my computer

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,393 Times in 625 Posts
    Can you do a restore to last update so it will wipe away any changes between then and now? That is what I always do if I accidentally download something that I did not want and cant get rid of it.

But hey I am just a regular non-tech person....
    Last edited by lift the veil, 21st January 2015 at 11:49.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lift the veil For This Useful Post:

Highland1 (21st January 2015), Sooz (21st January 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 473 Posts
    I hope by the time you read this, you will have everything back to normal Sooz. I have learned the hard way to take updates and installations very carefully. With new software it is quite frequently "bundled" with other things which you may or may not have the option to refuse. So as soon as I have installed anything new and even slightly questionable, I check my installed programs and remove anything which was installed on the same day and which I don't recognize.

I also make use of anti-malware and antivirus scanners, and an intelligent registry editor capable of sniffing out relics which get left behind even when a program uninstalls itself honestly.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KosmicKat For This Useful Post:

Retired Member Haiti
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,813 Times in 895 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Highland1 View Post
    I would recommend you download a free version of malwarebytes Sooz and it will do a full root scan and remove any crap as it goes.
    Imo, worth buying after the free trial ends.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

Good luck!

Russ
    Hi Sooz - I was going to post a link to Malawarebytes and noticed that Highland had beaten me to it. This is a really good and thorough program - we use it at work too.

Lin

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calabash For This Useful Post:

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,405 Times in 3,015 Posts
    yes i also recommend malawarebytes xx

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tribe For This Useful Post:

Bob (21st January 2015), Highland1 (21st January 2015), Sooz (21st January 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,939 Times in 516 Posts
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

another trojan killer and root-kit remover..

their easy to use free version (the earlier version I have seen is easier than the newer...) is located HERE for download. http://www.safer-networking.org/mirrors16/

It can be setup to run at boot-up time to get in there and dig for nasties.. It's removed what you mentioned from computers which accidentally clicked on that UPDATE flash player, etc.. (social engineering used to get people to get infected)..

what some of these trojans do is to infect the JAVA engine.. they will reside in the hidden zip file where the last java update is stored.. so doing restores will not deal with an infected java-zip.. interesting infection strategy.. i've seen such bugs keep coming back until I used the spybot search and destroy and it dug deep..

It is always good to change your passwords or notify your bank or other accounts, by phone about a difficulty on your computer so that they can watch for any unusual activity if these incursions have happened to one.

For folks using malwarebytes AND spybot search and destroy simultaneously, have you seen any conflicts running both? I've used malwarebytes and switched to spybot search and destroy for more user control of what to do with "oddities found"...

For newbies dealing with trojans and viruses.. sometimes having a choice to choose what to do can be disheartening.. requiring some assistance from one who has been diving deeper.. so a comparison of "ease of use" may be in order..

--Bob

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:

Highland1 (21st January 2015), lookbeyond (21st January 2015), Sooz (21st January 2015)

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,398 Times in 3,150 Posts
    An update.

Been battling this thing the last few days. Thought I had it sussed (googled/startpaged it). But I knew remnants of it had to be burrowed in somewhere.

Long story short, I downloaded the malware programme. Thanks! But it only prevents the site from coming up. Doesn't get rid of it.

Did a bit more digging - here was my answer:

http://www.techsupportall.com/how-to...-removal-help/

I would suggest doing a combination of manual fixing and also the auto fix. I did the manual fix which 'seemed' to do the trick. Downloaded the above link to do the auto fix and sure as ****, it found 62 other bits of the blighter embedded in my computer system.

Tikotin is not nice, it collects your passwords, your key numbers for bank accounts etc.

Do not download updates (like I did) from sources you are not sure of. They caught me in a weak moment when I wanted to get to something quickly.

Be careful everyone. Hope this helps.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

Bob (23rd January 2015), KosmicKat (23rd January 2015), Tonz (23rd January 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 473 Posts
    And after everything I said yesterday, I was prompted to scan the removable drive that I had been having problems with, which defied even reinstalling some of the problem software. Turned out it was infected. Work will continue today to ensure that it is now clean.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KosmicKat For This Useful Post:

Sooz (23rd January 2015)

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,398 Times in 3,150 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by The One View Post
    Hello

Have a look in installed programme's and if its there uninstall it

Also type this in search %temp% you can delete everything in there as well

If all else fails you could try this http://www.techsupportall.com/how-to...-removal-help/

What browser are you using
    Apologies Malc, I see you had the answer all along. I was in too much of a 'tizz' to see it.

Thanks Matey.

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 2,620 Posts
    I'm late on this but:

I swapped over to Macs 4 years ago as we could see the malware tsunami getting larger by the month. The GF can't cope as she is a simple, trusting person (why can't I puck on a tab at a site? Why can't I hit a Flash site and....etc, etc), so all the house computers AND smart phones are IOS and MAC OS, heavy crunch computers are PCs but are air-gapped to the net.

My partners say I'm now "bi-lingual"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (4th December 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dumpster Diver View Post
    I'm late on this but:

I swapped over to Macs 4 years ago as we could see the malware tsunami getting larger by the month. The GF can't cope as she is a simple, trusting person (why can't I puck on a tab at a site? Why can't I hit a Flash site and....etc, etc), so all the house computers AND smart phones are IOS and MAC OS, heavy crunch computers are PCs but are air-gapped to the net.

My partners say I'm now "bi-lingual"
    Mac OS is better than Microsoft Windows, but it's still proprietary software — which means that the software on your computer still does not belong to you and that you are not allowed to do with it as you please — and Mac OS also contains built-in backdoors, just like Microsoft Windows does.

I can understand that one's work needs would require proprietary software which exists for Mac OS or Windows only, but the only real solution, if you value your freedom and system security, is to go with Free/Libre & Open Source Software. Granted, it's not for everyone — the advantage of both Windows and OS X toward the inexperienced user is that it comes pre-installed on the machine, so that the user doesn't need to install it themselves — but even people who aren't tech-savvy can work very comfortably with GNU/Linux or one of the BSD-based systems.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Blacklight43 (4th December 2015), Dreamtimer (4th December 2015), Elen (4th December 2015)