Page 52 of 87 FirstFirst ... 2424950515253545562 ... LastLast

Thread: A New Modwiz Video

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I enjoyed both new TOT-Casts. Keep up the good work, Modwiz.

Thanks for coming on and sharing, Fred.

I personally benefit from hearing the stories and thoughts of 'veterans' because, though I'm not so young, I'm still on the upslope of the learning curve.

As far as action goes, every day matters. And planning for future action is tied closely in with learning what's going on and where we may be headed. For me, with friends and family all over the country, it's not necessarily local action.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th March 2017), Aragorn (20th March 2017), Elen (20th March 2017), modwiz (20th March 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Mystic Brew: A Save You Tube Idea from Styxhexenhammer

Styx put out a video tonight with an important topic and strategy I am behind.

"To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th March 2017), Aragorn (26th March 2017), Dreamtimer (26th March 2017), Elen (26th March 2017), Gio (26th March 2017), JRS (28th March 2017), pointessa (26th March 2017)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Last edited by Myst, 12th January 2018 at 01:17.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Myst For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th March 2017), Aragorn (26th March 2017), Dreamtimer (28th March 2017), Elen (26th March 2017), modwiz (26th March 2017), TargeT (27th March 2017)

Retired Member Virgin Islands
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 356 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Myst View Post
    "Save Youtube or we all fall together" doesn't make sense to me. Instead I agree with James Corbett:

THE SOCIAL MEDIA EXODUS HAS BEGUN. HERE'S WHERE EVERYBODY'S GOING.
    I agree Youtube = Google = Evil.

The fact that you can make money off it is very nice, but....

I hope there is a replacement for youtube that's viable and not run by one of the "big corps" but as of yet I'm not seeing a replacement.
    Last edited by TargeT, 27th March 2017 at 19:06.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th March 2017), Aragorn (27th March 2017), Dreamtimer (28th March 2017), Elen (27th March 2017), modwiz (27th March 2017)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Last edited by Myst, 12th January 2018 at 01:17.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Myst For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th March 2017), Aragorn (27th March 2017), Dreamtimer (28th March 2017), Elen (27th March 2017), modwiz (27th March 2017), TargeT (27th March 2017)

Thanks
    Unfortunately, Bitchute is still centralized in other ways, and it doesn't appear to be open source. Even though they claim that their purpose for existence is to offer a non-censored version of YouTube, there's no guarantee they won't sell out, especially when monetization is introduced, as they plan.
    Well, the beauty of bit-torrent style systems is it's very difficult to control the content; now the distribution of the content (the "front page" as it were) IS a choke point (single point of failure)... but it seems better than the current offering.

But by implementing it in a browser like BitChute, that entry barrier could be lowered. Even with this, inertia (as with Styxhexenhammer above) and resistance to cooperation (as mentioned by Modwiz here) would have to be overcome.
    Shifting the masses is the big problem, but the "easy entry barrier" is very important; but the beauty of youtube IS the monitization that has allowed creators to work at creating full time.. so some sort of deal with the devil may be needed.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th March 2017), Aragorn (27th March 2017), Dreamtimer (28th March 2017), Elen (28th March 2017), modwiz (27th March 2017), Myst (27th March 2017)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Last edited by Myst, 12th January 2018 at 01:18.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Myst For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th March 2017), Aragorn (27th March 2017), Dreamtimer (28th March 2017), Elen (28th March 2017), modwiz (27th March 2017), TargeT (27th March 2017)

Thanks
    But monetization can be handled separately, with Patreon, for example, as Styxhexenhammer is now doing. Better yet, people could just support their favorite feeds using decentralized cryptocurrencies, for a fully decentralized, anonymous solution. But the masses still must shift.
    The patreon avenue does seem to work pretty well, I love that you can donate $1 a month or what ever... some creators are doing very well off their patreon donations... I've thought about going that route with my rescue, (additional revenue stream hunting seems like a big part of running a rescue.. haha).

The front page is still a possible strangle point, and if he plans on monitizing later I'm sure he won't open it up... I wonder if he'd be willing to offer a non-monitized tie in's for browsing or something so there isn't a single point of failure and it's more distributed (This is almost exactly like Popcorn time, a very easy "netflix like" approach to torrented movies) it's pretty interesting; but needs a lot of momentum to catch up.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th March 2017), Aragorn (27th March 2017), Dreamtimer (28th March 2017), Elen (28th March 2017), modwiz (27th March 2017), Myst (27th March 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by TargeT View Post
    Shifting the masses is the big problem, but the "easy entry barrier" is very important; but the beauty of youtube IS the monitization that has allowed creators to work at creating full time.. so some sort of deal with the devil may be needed.
    I disagree with that. Monetization of content is only one of the many outward manifestations of a larger underlying problem, and that problem is the very existence of a(n artificial) scarcity-based economy and the abstract barter medium called money, which serves as the primary tool for regulating who may have access to what resources.

In this system, I unfortunately need money to survive — and at present time, I need more money than I possess, just to be able to pay my ever-increasing bills, so I can't even afford proper medical care anymore — but I refuse to accept money from individuals who do not already owe me. (Several people do still owe me because I've lent them (large amounts of) money and they've never bothered to pay me back.)

I have to survive off of a pitiful amount in alms that the government extends me — and of which they know all too well that it sits far below the official European poverty barrier — but the government is a for-profit organization, given that they can afford exuberant wages for themselves, and the waste of gobs of taxpayer money on the royal family and on providing military support for US imperialist operations.

So I have no qualm accepting money from them, or from any other profitable organizations or corporations, because they deserve nothing less, leeches that they are. But everything I do for anyone else, I do for free, and I refuse to accept money for it.

One does not make deals with the devil, amigo. The devil [*] doesn't deserve whatever profit he may gain from that, and you can rest assured that he will gain from it.

[*] I use the term "the devil" only as a metaphor, of course. I do not adhere to any religious descriptions of what "the devil" would be, albeit that my experience has taught me that demonic entities do exist, wherever they come from and whatever they are. I've got a few theories of my own about that subject, but that would derail this thread, so I'll save it for another occasion.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th March 2017), Dreamtimer (28th March 2017), Elen (28th March 2017), modwiz (27th March 2017), Myst (27th March 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    But monetization can be handled separately, with Patreon, for example, as Styxhexenhammer is now doing. Better yet, people could just support their favorite feeds using decentralized cryptocurrencies, for a fully decentralized, anonymous solution. But the masses still must shift.
    If I ever "monetize" it would be paypal and/or patreon. I use an adblocker and recommend one to anyone with a browser. I have watched a few commercials and they are from the same companies I think are part of the problem in many instances.
    Last edited by modwiz, 27th March 2017 at 21:10.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th March 2017), Aragorn (27th March 2017), Dreamtimer (28th March 2017), Elen (28th March 2017), Gio (28th March 2017), Myst (27th March 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    I disagree with that. Monetization of content is only one of the many outward manifestations of a larger underlying problem, and that problem is the very existence of a(n artificial) scarcity-based economy and the abstract barter medium called money, which serves as the primary tool for regulating who may have access to what resources.

In this system, I unfortunately need money to survive — and at present time, I need more money than I possess, just to be able to pay my ever-increasing bills, so I can't even afford proper medical care anymore — but I refuse to accept money from individuals who do not already owe me. (Several people do still owe me because I've lent them (large amounts of) money and they've never bothered to pay me back.)

I have to survive off of a pitiful amount in alms that the government extends me — and of which they know all too well that it sits far below the official European poverty barrier — but the government is a for-profit organization, given that they can afford exuberant wages for themselves, and the waste of gobs of taxpayer money on the royal family and on providing military support for US imperialist operations.

So I have no qualm accepting money from them, or from any other profitable organizations or corporations, because they deserve nothing less, leeches that they are. But everything I do for anyone else, I do for free, and I refuse to accept money for it.

One does not make deals with the devil, amigo. The devil [*] doesn't deserve whatever profit he may gain from that, and you can rest assured that he will gain from it.
    Seems like a bit of a conflict there, but I think I understand the underlying motivation.

I however, write the whole system (the energy-leech money system) off and game it how ever I can when it doesn't hurt individuals ( I see government programs as "over all" hurtful especially since they take money directly from the people, though that's just the influence of being raised a libertarian.. in reality it's basically the same right?) yet I'll gladly take money from corporations should the opportunity arise (and it's no strings attached). But even in that I'm dissonant, I have yet to take a dime from the government I didn't first pay to them in taxes, but should the opertunity arise... I'll take advantage of what ever grant I can get my hands on (just waiting on my 5013c paper work to go through).

Same mentality, 100% opposite approach (similar dissonance?)?

I go through periods of being a "do"er though, need resources to "do".

I'm picking my battles a lot lately, and anything bigger than "next door" doesn't get very much energy from me anymore (money falls in that category). It's like having a bad knee,, you know it's bad & don't like it, but you still gotta walk. I'll bitch about my knee and how unfair it is (monetary system) to anyone who will listen; but even that is sort of a waste of energy unless its an educational transaction.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th March 2017), Dreamtimer (28th March 2017), Elen (28th March 2017), modwiz (27th March 2017), Myst (27th March 2017), PurpleLama (28th March 2017)

Thanks
    What's your 'rescue' TargeT?

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th March 2017), Elen (28th March 2017), Gio (28th March 2017), modwiz (28th March 2017), TargeT (28th March 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,393 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    What's your 'rescue' TargeT?
    Look up the Cruzan Cowgirls....
    Last edited by PurpleLama, 28th March 2017 at 16:57.
    Sometimes God shines his magic light beam from outer space, and it works in mysterious ways.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PurpleLama For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th March 2017), Dreamtimer (28th March 2017), Gio (28th March 2017), modwiz (28th March 2017), sandy (29th March 2017), TargeT (28th March 2017)

Thanks
    Preemptive apology for the hijack, but a missed opportunity.....

Quote Originally posted by PurpleLama View Post
    Look up the Cruzan Cowgirls....
    We work with more than horses, but that's our focus.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeywyJenFkc

We currently have 26 horses, 13 dogs, 25 cats, 2 pigs, 1 donkey and a few rabbits, we've had iguana's, mongoose and snakes dropped off in our care as well.. haha

So that takes resources.. to fund the rescue we take tourists money in trade for a hour and half educational tour of the west end of the island I live on... riding a horse on the beach is a "bucket list" item for a LOT of people apparently.

Last edited by Aragorn, 28th March 2017 at 18:19. Reason: fixed your video link ;)

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th March 2017), Dreamtimer (28th March 2017), Gio (28th March 2017), JRS (29th March 2017), modwiz (28th March 2017), sandy (29th March 2017)

Thanks
    Horse rescue and riding horses on the beach...Nice.

I've ridden horses on trails in Tucson, not far from the Mexican border. It was beautiful. Also in a vineyard in Temecula. But never on the beach. (I'm no equestrian, they were tourist trail rides and mostly calm horses who follow along, except for Clyde who would not stop eating the dry, thorny desert weeds. Sheesh.)

Once, in Newport, RI, we went for an afternoon ride in which my husband was thrown to the ground. I watched it in slow motion. He was OK and he did get back on the horse, but never again after that day.

I went to the BVI and went snorkeling. I've never been to the USVI. Something to add to the travel itinerary, perhaps. I'd have to find an alternative for the hubby. Like some live music.

Sounds like there are plenty of other animals to interest him as well.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th March 2017), Gio (28th March 2017), modwiz (28th March 2017), sandy (29th March 2017), TargeT (28th March 2017)