Thread: UK wants to ban all forms of Encryption. WTF is wrong with this country?!

Retired Member
    Thanks

UK wants to ban all forms of Encryption. WTF is wrong with this country?!

http://www.activistpost.com/2015/01/...o-orwells.html

In the United States, government officials responded to Apple and Droid’s new encryption services by throwing temper tantrums in speeches and making archaic arguments in court.

In the United Kingdom, home of big brother and big brother to the U.S., they simply want to ban forms of communication they cannot intrude upon.

British Prime Minister David Cameron drew media attention this week when, in response to the Paris terrorist attacks, he said:
    In our country, do we want to allow a means of communication between people which […] we cannot read?
    He is opposed to the reality that encrypted data on services like the iPhone’s iMessage (iPhone to iPhone texting) and international communication app “WhatsApp” cannot be accessed, even with a warrant, and suggested such tools should be outright banned. Droid operating systems would also fall into this category. Cameron’s statement has strong implications in implying that people should not be allowed to communicate unless the government is privy to it.

Cameron’s comments came as a part of a broader push for more state surveillance powers in the name of “safety.” Legislation nicknamed the “snooper’s charter” was blocked previously by liberals in the British legislature, but Cameron is pouncing on the Charlie Hebdo tragedy to push for support in a newer version. He will re-introduce the bill if he wins the next general election, set for May of this year.

Director of Big Brother Watch, Emma Carr, condemned such a move:
    It is the wrong solution and would divert resources from focused surveillance operations at a time when the agencies are already struggling to cope with the volume of information available.

Since Edward Snowden’s leaks in 2013, there has been powerful opposition to state surveillance. However, many citizens cower to privacy violations when global tragedies occur and lawmakers exploit the surrounding fear to expand state reach. It is difficult to believe that the British people would tolerate banning many of the world’s most common and convenient forms of text messaging, but Conservatives (Cameron’s party) are currently ahead in electoral polls.

At the same time, the establishment’s preferences are strong and vocal. London’s Mayor Boris Johnson declared
    I’m not particularly interested in all this civil liberties stuff when it comes to these people’s emails and mobile phone conversations.
    If they’re a threat to our society then I want them properly listened to.
    The ambiguity of words like “these people” and “threat,” however, are exactly why companies developed enhanced encryption features in the first place.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to KINGSTON FRIZZ For This Useful Post:

Catsquotl (14th January 2015), Cearna (15th January 2015), gardener (14th January 2015), Juniper (15th January 2015), KosmicKat (14th January 2015), Ria (14th January 2015), sandy (14th January 2015), Sooz (14th January 2015), Stoat muldoon (14th January 2015)

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,398 Times in 3,150 Posts
    Yep, they are saying the same thing here in Oz via mainstream media. (MSM). Ban snap chat and all encryption that promotes privacy. You can bet when it comes out in MSM, it's government controlled.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

Catsquotl (14th January 2015), Cearna (15th January 2015), gardener (14th January 2015), Juniper (15th January 2015), KosmicKat (14th January 2015), sandy (14th January 2015), Stoat muldoon (14th January 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,564 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Might just be a good thing for everyone to get things out in the open.
    Oh I know we will be intruded upon and our words and ideas twisted and prosecuted. But I think its better than having a false sense of security.
    Keeps one vigilant on what you say where perhaps?

With Love
    Eelco
    Have a great day today

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Useful Post:

Cearna (15th January 2015), gardener (14th January 2015), Juniper (15th January 2015), Sooz (14th January 2015), Stoat muldoon (14th January 2015)

Senior Member Togo Stoat muldoon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,719 Times in 436 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Eelco View Post
    Might just be a good thing for everyone to get things out in the open.
    Oh I know we will be intruded upon and our words and ideas twisted and prosecuted. But I think its better than having a false sense of security.
    Keeps one vigilant on what you say where perhaps?

With Love
    Eelco
    And stifles freedom of thought and speech . I agree we need to keep ourselves safe , but they knew who these people were , or so THEY tell us (and I for one don't believe a word of it ) . Monitor and listen to the people who are perceived as a threat , or is that everyone ? We can talk about this until the cows come home , but for sure this is a massive step in the direction of totalitarianism from all our gubmints . Does that not imply if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear BS .

Well I have things to hide , how I tex my wife when I feel in the mood for love (trust me , they can get quite hot, me being a hot blooded male an all ) . I don't want any perv watching what my emails are saying to my Secretary asking her what time she booked us in the that hotel for the weekend I think you get my drift .

But there are always, always away round their monitoring , I wounder how many of them can speak Klingon

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stoat muldoon For This Useful Post:

Cearna (15th January 2015), gardener (14th January 2015), john parslow (24th January 2015), Juniper (15th January 2015), Ria (14th January 2015), sandy (14th January 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,646 Times in 1,886 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Stoat muldoon View Post
    And stifles freedom of thought and speech . I agree we need to keep ourselves safe , but they knew who these people were , or so THEY tell us (and I for one don't believe a word of it ) . Monitor and listen to the people who are perceived as a threat , or is that everyone ? We can talk about this until the cows come home , but for sure this is a massive step in the direction of totalitarianism from all our gubmints . Does that not imply if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear BS .

Well I have things to hide , how I tex my wife when I feel in the mood for love (trust me , they can get quite hot, me being a hot blooded male an all ) . I don't want any perv watching what my emails are saying to my Secretary asking her what time she booked us in the that hotel for the weekend I think you get my drift .

But there are always, always away round their monitoring , I wounder how many of them can speak Klingon
    I take it you wife and secretary are the same person.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ria For This Useful Post:

Cearna (15th January 2015), gardener (14th January 2015), Juniper (15th January 2015), Stoat muldoon (14th January 2015)

Senior Member Togo Stoat muldoon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,719 Times in 436 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Ria View Post
    I take it you wife and secretary are the same person.
    You got it in one and many other thing

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stoat muldoon For This Useful Post:

Cearna (15th January 2015), gardener (14th January 2015), Juniper (15th January 2015), Ria (14th January 2015), sandy (14th January 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Stoat muldoon View Post
    Monitor and listen to the people who are perceived as a threat , or is that everyone ?
    I am absolutely certain that invading a person's privacy is a gross violation and that violation causes and produces the potential for violence, and the potential violence effectively creates a threat and so... to invade someone's privacy is to create the condition one seeks to condemn.
    Last edited by mjk9, 24th January 2015 at 15:19.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjk9 For This Useful Post:

john parslow (24th January 2015), Ria (24th January 2015)

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,245 Times in 554 Posts
    encrypted data on services like the iPhone’s iMessage (iPhone to iPhone texting) and international communication app “WhatsApp” cannot be accessed, even with a warrant,

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-HbFO5cbFE

And this is just the stuff YOU can do with your i phone .. imagine what they can do ...

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvvIyhgMnLI

Regarding the encryption stuff not being readable by agentcies.. i dont believe that for a second. Apple and other clandestine companies create products that " Promote Anonimity " however i can assure you they dont actually work. What they are designed to do is create groups of special interest people to monitor closely.

In other words .. Its a trick. The media spin is to create the illusion that it actually works so people who do have something to hide use this network and that eliminates the other 98.7% of innocent peoiple they have to monitor on a broader network and then filter.

No product is allowed to go to market that works to promote privacy, if it does its banned, bought out , owned by the larger corporation and changed or it simply dissapears.

If you want privacy , go live in a cave , communicate with a can and a piece of string or use smoke coulds...

N

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NANUXII For This Useful Post:

Catsquotl (25th January 2015), sandy (24th January 2015)