Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Disney's Sexualisation of Children

(account terminated) Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,923 Times in 728 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by lookbeyond View Post
    Glad youve been thinking pris, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, just wondering pris, do you have any children of your own?
    Does it matter?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pris For This Useful Post:

PurpleLama (11th December 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,133 Times in 710 Posts
    IMO, yes. Get back to me in a few years when you have given birth to a few precious babes and begun raising them.Some of my views on parenthood as a young woman (pre motherhood) changed when I actually became a parent- these even included opinions I had on my own parents "methods"of child rearing.

Namaste Pris, and i am bowing out of this thread as I have stated my opinion on the topic of Disneys sexualisation of children and the rest is dribble, of course imo

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lookbeyond For This Useful Post:

PurpleLama (11th December 2014), Shezbeth (11th December 2014)

(account terminated) Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,923 Times in 728 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by lookbeyond View Post
    IMO, yes. Get back to me in a few years when you have given birth to a few precious babes and begun raising them.Some of my views on parenthood as a young woman (pre motherhood) changed when I actually became a parent- these even included opinions I had on my own parents "methods"of child rearing.

Namaste Pris, and i am bowing out of this thread as I have stated my opinion on the topic of Disneys sexualisation of children and the rest is dribble, of course imo
    With greatest respect to you, we are equals regardless of our experiences.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pris For This Useful Post:

PurpleLama (11th December 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 297 Posts
    Equals in terms of being sentient individuals, yes. This is one case however where one disregards experience rhetorically and is not entitled to the high-ground they seek to attain.

I agree that a parent should not act as an authoritarian, but recognize that a rearing child has no understanding of acceptability or unacceptability. The role of parent then includes becoming that of a disciplinarian, especially in the sense that if the parent does not then the state (unless the child has crafty sovereign parents) will, and purely statistically speaking will subject the child to a far less conducive experience.

This is one avenue where 'the lesser of two evils' definitely comes into play and idealism can get both parties (the parents and the children) into an endless heap of adversity. Being a parent means seeing to the child's best interest,... as in needs, as opposed to wants.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shezbeth For This Useful Post:

1inMany (11th December 2014), Pris (11th December 2014), PurpleLama (11th December 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,393 Times in 1,104 Posts
    It should also be observed that children are each unique, and what one responds to another simply won't. My eldest, by the time she was five only needed to observe my disappointment either expressed or implied, and would correct her own behavior. My second child, at the same age, is far more willful and wily, and requires more of an authoritative expression before he might respect one's wishes (which frequently involve his physical safety, or that of his younger brother, or one of the cats). I never even had to put hos older sister in time out, and only gave her one spanking in her life when she was almost three and ran out in the street and a car was coming. With the now almost five year son, you can explain to him why and usually he will listen, but if his wee little wily mind can think up a loop hole in your explanation, watch out! So already, he had seen more discipline at 4 3/4 than his sister ever did. Pinching an ear or expressing embarrassment are subtle expressions of discipline compared to others, but the latter is most definitely an expression of authority whereas the former relies on the child to self correct. One likewise must not forget, that children ever emulate their parents, and a conscious expression of authority on the part of a parent as opposed to a mindless because I said so, actually goes a long way to showing a child how to be their own authority, how to be sovereign in their own right. I do agree with lookbeyond's sentiment, that many ideas regarding child rearing are in need of being tested by actual experience, but I would expand on that, saying that each child may even require different ideas, different methods and strategies, to get the child to where they need to be, and unfortunately or fortunately it is in the parents right to decide what and why corrective action should be taken.
    Sometimes God shines his magic light beam from outer space, and it works in mysterious ways.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PurpleLama For This Useful Post:

1inMany (11th December 2014), Melidae (11th December 2014), Pris (11th December 2014), Shezbeth (11th December 2014)