Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Disney's Sexualisation of Children

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,398 Times in 3,150 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Shezbeth View Post
    Let me just throw this out there for a moment if memory (and the general idea) is accurate. While hyper-sexualization is agreeably a dysfunctional agenda/direction, what about holistic sexuality?

There have been cultures who may have been open and free with their sexuality even amongst adolescents. The Celts and May Day come to mind,....
    OK, go ahead, I have an open mind. Always open to hearing another point of view. And I'm sure you have a persuasive pov, take it away...

But bear in mind it's past midnight here in Oz, so if I don't hang around it's nothing personal. My eyelids are getting heavy...

If I don't hang around, will catch up tomorrow after some well earned zeds....been working like a Trojan today in this heat.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (9th December 2014), Pris (9th December 2014)

Senior Member United States 1inMany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,248 Times in 378 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Seikou-Kishi View Post
    The point is, it doesn't matter what somebody is saying if they say it in a language you don't understand. What matters far more is the tone. If Disney hides sexual messages in their films, it really doesn't matter because children are oblivious. It's not a language they speak. The sexualisation of children may or may not be Disney's goal, but it won't work either way.
    I see your point. Quite valid. I am thinking, though, that auditory and visual messages would be different. If I went to see a movie at a theater, and there was a picture of popcorn that was flashed on the movie screen from time to time, I might have a craving for popcorn by the end of the movie and not know why. If, however, the word popcorn was played randomly throughout the movie, and it was in a language I do not speak, I would likely not end up with a craving for popcorn. And these visual subliminals, if that is an actual term, work on children. I have seen, myself, little girls emulate the attire and behavior they see (whether it be on television, the big screen, or hell-even at home). So, it may be a gradual indoctrination, if one could call it that. I do not think the sexualization by Disney is solely to blame for the promiscuity (etc.) I see. America has so many problems as a society, as a culture, there is plenty of responsibility elsewhere.

I was also thinking about how teachers introduce concepts to students knowing full well they are not quite ready to learn and/or master the concept, solely because the it becomes familiar to the students whether they have any grasp of the concept or not. When the students are ready, it is no longer a "new" concept so it is easier to slide them into it. Desensitization, possibly? It starts with maybe a swing of the hips in Frozen, and goes downhill from there.

Sorry, sooz. Just some random thoughts. Which should surprise no one. Lol.
    Last edited by 1inMany, 9th December 2014 at 17:45.
    Do not fashion me a maiden who needs saving from the dragons. I am the Dragon. And I will eat you whole.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 1inMany For This Useful Post:

Calabash (9th December 2014), Pris (9th December 2014), Shezbeth (9th December 2014), Sooz (10th December 2014)

(account terminated) Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,923 Times in 728 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by 1inmany View Post
    I see your point. Quite valid. I am thinking, though, that auditory and visual messages would be different. If I went to see a movie at a theater, and there was a picture of popcorn that was flashed on the movie screen from time to time, I might have a craving for popcorn by the end of the movie and not know why. If, however, the word popcorn was played randomly throughout the movie, and it was in a language I do not speak, I would likely not end up with a craving for popcorn. And these visual subliminals, if that is an actual term, work on children. I have seen, myself, little girls emulate the attire and behavior they see (whether it be on television, the big screen, or hell-even at home). So, it may be a gradual indoctrination, if one could call it that. I do not think the sexualization by Disney is solely to blame for the promiscuity (etc.) I see. America has so many problems as a society, as a culture, there is plenty of responsibility elsewhere.

I was also thinking about how teachers introduce concepts to students knowing full well they are not quite ready to learn and/or master the concept, solely because the it becomes familiar to the students whether they have any grasp of the concept or not. When the students are ready, it is no longer a "new" concept so it is easier to slide them into it. Desensitization, possibly? It starts with maybe a swing of the hips in Frozen, and goes downhill from there.

Sorry, sooz. Just some random thoughts. Which should surprise no one. Lol.

I very much agree with you!

Yes, of course it's not 'just' Disney. But, Disney IS a big one, so I wouldn't gloss over that one. It's actually not very hard to connect the dots, however, and see who's doing it all and who's behind it. There are not THAT many corporations/organizations (individuals/families) behind it all. In fact, there are literally a very small number that run basically everything.

This 'sexualization' problem runs parallel with our mainstream media, oil cartel, big pharma, educational system etc. Behind-the-scenes, it's the same people pulling the strings. Do they have an agenda? Yes.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pris For This Useful Post:

1inMany (10th December 2014), Calabash (9th December 2014), Shezbeth (9th December 2014), Sooz (10th December 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,564 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Let me just throw this out there for a moment if memory (and the general idea) is accurate. While hyper-sexualization is agreeably a dysfunctional agenda/direction, what about holistic sexuality?

There have been cultures who may have been open and free with their sexuality even amongst adolescents. The Celts and May Day come to mind,....
    I quite agree. We are living in cultures that not only push sex at every touch and turn, they also treat it like a dirty issue. one might conclude from this that the real theme they're peddling is the one the Catholic church peddled for centuries in Europe — nothing but shame

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Seikou-Kishi For This Useful Post:

1inMany (10th December 2014), Calabash (9th December 2014), Pris (10th December 2014), Shezbeth (9th December 2014), Sooz (10th December 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    I quite agree. We are living in cultures that not only push sex at every touch and turn, they also treat it like a dirty issue. one might conclude from this that the real theme they're peddling is the one the Catholic church peddled for centuries in Europe — nothing but shame
    Cognitive dissonance.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (10th December 2014), Calabash (9th December 2014), Pris (10th December 2014), PurpleLama (11th December 2014), Shezbeth (9th December 2014)

Retired Member Haiti
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,813 Times in 895 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Pris View Post
    I very much agree with you!

Yes, of course it's not 'just' Disney. But, Disney IS a big one, so I wouldn't gloss over that one. It's actually not very hard to connect the dots, however, and see who's doing it all and who's behind it. There are not THAT many corporations/organizations (individuals/families) behind it all. In fact, there are literally a very small number that run basically everything.

This 'sexualization' problem runs parallel with our mainstream media, oil cartel, big pharma, educational system etc. Behind-the-scenes, it's the same people pulling the strings. Do they have an agenda? Yes.
    Let's not forget how many kids have been molested at Disney by the workers.

Do you remember Pinnochio and Pleasure Island . . . . watch it here, knowing what you know now. Chilling isn't it?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calabash For This Useful Post:

1inMany (10th December 2014), Pris (10th December 2014), Sooz (10th December 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 297 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Sooz View Post
    OK, go ahead, I have an open mind. Always open to hearing another point of view. And I'm sure you have a persuasive pov, take it away...
    I really can't even begin to speculate what you expect by this. I had made my point.

However, recently I felt inclined to add (and put it in response rather than edit it in like I am prone/want to): The hyper-sexualization of girls, boys, kids in general is due to the lack of sexualization on behalf of the parent(s).

Now before anyone attempts to jump my ass (in a bad way) for saying so, I'm referring inherently to the general disconnect between children and parents. The reason it appeals to kids to see displays of dis-empowered, incompetent, or otherwise ineffective parents is because there are those. Is it by design? Perhaps, (and by 'perhaps' I mean 'perhaps' there are exceptions to yes), but the 'devil' didn't make anyone do anything.

Admitting that the story/suggestion of the Celts and May Day might be inaccurate/fictional, but some accounts allege that the festival was concluded with intercourse. This was not wanton, indeed it was said to be quite responsible; aware of the benefits, the consequences, the intent/spirit,... but lovingly so as opposed to apprehensively so as indicated earlier.

Personally, I have a hard time identifying with a somewhat ancient culture and what they are alleged to have done, but I will say that parents who don't leave it to Disney (et al, implicitly or explicitly) to sexualize their children tend to be less worried about the issues of hyper-sexualization. I'm not at all trying to shift blame, so much as share it with every party that has a hand in the 'wrong'.

And when it comes to sexuality, having a hand in the 'wrong' is just,... nevermind.

Too crass?

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shezbeth For This Useful Post:

1inMany (10th December 2014), modwiz (10th December 2014), Pris (10th December 2014), Sooz (10th December 2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Sooz View Post
    The blatant manipulation of programming kids through TV......
    Who pays the cable bill for this sewage to seep into their homes? 'They' are taking control of/managing our children's environments because too many parents won't. Yes, there are very sick people out there and the children need protection from them. Who does this responsibility fall to?
    Last edited by modwiz, 10th December 2014 at 02:44.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (10th December 2014), Pris (10th December 2014), Shezbeth (10th December 2014), Sooz (10th December 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    Who pays the cable bill for this sewage to seep into their homes? They are taking control of/managing our children's environments because too many parents won't. Yes, there are very sick people out there and the children need protection from them. Who does this responsibility fall to?
    Booyah. Moreover, who is paying for their kids' internet access, Iphones, and all that jazz?

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shezbeth For This Useful Post:

1inMany (10th December 2014), modwiz (10th December 2014), Pris (10th December 2014), Sooz (10th December 2014)

Thanks
    Booyah. Moreover, who is paying for their kids' internet access, Iphones, and all that jazz?
    This might be a cry for gubmint to step in do something. Like inviting a camel/skunk/wolverine into your tent.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (10th December 2014), Pris (10th December 2014)

Thanks
    Nothing but shame... and guilt, guilt, guilt!

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pris For This Useful Post:

1inMany (10th December 2014), modwiz (10th December 2014), Shezbeth (10th December 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    This might be a cry for gubmint to step in do something. Like inviting a camel/skunk/wolverine into your tent.
    Like hell it is! I'm saying parents need to do their job and be less willing/inclined to give into a child's wants and instead focus on providing for their needs.

Moreover, the very cognitive dissonance ought to be addressed; I'll illustrate.

Why is an interest and/or disposition of liking and/or being mindful of sexuality and sensuality relegated with the terms 'pervert/perverted' (related to perverse), 'dirty', etc.? From whence did that hit emerge and IMO, unto which should it be be doffed?
    Last edited by Shezbeth, 10th December 2014 at 11:59. Reason: Shezbeth is a guiltless and unrepentant pervert BTW

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shezbeth For This Useful Post:

1inMany (10th December 2014), Pris (10th December 2014)

Thanks
    Like hell it is! I'm saying parents need to do their job and be less willing/inclined to give into a child's wants and instead focus on providing for their needs.

Moreover, the very cognitive dissonance ought to be addressed; I'll illustrate.

Why is an interest and/or disposition of liking and/or being mindful of sexuality and sensuality relegated with the terms 'pervert/perverted' (related to perverse), 'dirty', etc.? From whence did that hit emerge and IMO, unto which should it be be doffed?
    It isn't, normally. When they use images and/or examples of, say, women sitting, naked, in provocative poses, on top of wrecking balls, licking the chains... well now....

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by lookbeyond View Post
    Society today does promote the oversexualisation of little girls, however do not underestimate the power of the parent in terms of role model and authoritarian.
    I was thinking about this for a few days actually. There was something here that was bothering me... and I finally figured it out.

It is NOT the role of a parent to be an authoritarian figure. Yes, it is the role of a parent to be a role-model.

ANY authoritarian figure is part of a hierarchical system of control. NO SOVEREIGN BEING wishes to be lorded over. It doesn't matter what age you are. This is why the term 'anarchist' has been misrepresented by the PTB as someone who brings 'chaos'. An anarchist is simply one who is against authority. It's the hierarchical systems of control that bring chaos.

The PTB use the idea of rebelling against authority as one of their tools of control, while at the same time, implementing their 'authority' in all areas of our lives. If you can make parents believe they are supposed to be authority figures in their children's lives, you'll be assured of conflict.

I grew up with loving parents who treated me as an equal and with respect. And, they took care of me for which I was, and shall always be, grateful. Was I rebellious? No. If I behaved in a way that was... undesirable or unreasonable, I was told I was embarrassing, or I was grabbed by the ear (lol) -- just as a friend would do to with their buddy. I must say, it worked. Respect goes both ways. And, as long as I can remember, I've always felt equal with anyone I've ever met.
    Last edited by Pris, 10th December 2014 at 17:39. Reason: clarification

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Pris For This Useful Post:

Shezbeth (11th December 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,133 Times in 710 Posts
    Glad youve been thinking pris, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, just wondering pris, do you have any children of your own?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to lookbeyond For This Useful Post:

Shezbeth (11th December 2014)