Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Thread: Jordan Maxwell & Other Paranormal Stories

Retired Member UK
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,600 Times in 1,366 Posts
    Yes jimmer, I am looking through some articles at the moment on thought photography.
    Uri Geller and a Japanese man, (cannot spell his name at the moment) they have done experiments in the past and there is documentation on this.

When I was looking through the images and articles I thought of Mike Paterson straight away.
    So I am going to delve through them and put something together.
    Frances.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frances For This Useful Post:

jimmer (12th February 2015), samos (9th February 2015), sandy (10th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 482 Posts
    Hello Frances,

I'd like to contribute this story to your thread, flowing with a similar theme as the Scole experiment.

An oldie but goodie 'Sightings' episode where polaroid photos were taken revealing written messages from beyond. Some in Latin, others in English, transposed onto film by an entity named Wright. Paranormal researcher Kerry Gaynor got involved on this one. I've always liked his integrity and unbiased research style.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZKCTb5-AJg

Psychic, Peter James chimes in towards the end...he's too biased for authentic, critical research. IMO...but tolerable : )
    Last edited by samos, 9th February 2015 at 23:11.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samos For This Useful Post:

Frances (9th February 2015), jimmer (11th February 2015)

Retired Member UK
    Thanks
    Hello Samos, thank you for the contribution, looking forward to watching this.
    Frances.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frances For This Useful Post:

jimmer (11th February 2015), samos (9th February 2015), sandy (10th February 2015)

Retired Member UK
    Thanks

An Experiment Of True Psychokinesis. Thoughtography.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pdpygM5iK8

Uploaded January 29th 2008.
    Video 6:14.

"In the 1970's, the Japanese Nengraphy Association (nengraphy being the Japanese name for thoughtography) conducted experiments with the Japanese teenage psychic wonder, Masuaki Kiyota.
    He proved to have the ability to transmit images on to unexposed film under strict scientific conditions. Dr. Walter Uphoff supervised a series of experiments with Kiyota under laboratory conditions in Tokyo, as well as in the United States for a special NBC-TV program on the paranormal. He was able to produce photographs of a nearby hotel and other images using a Polaroid camera, even though it was placed on a table across from him with its lens cap on, and the shutter release never touched."

The video is not the best but the content is good.
    It's also in Japanaese. If I come across a better one I will post it.

One of the reasons I like this experiment is that Masuaki does not touch the camera, he projects his thoughts onto the unopened pack of Polaroid films.
    As in the Scoles experiment the images were projected onto unopened film reel.
    Frances.
    Last edited by Frances, 20th July 2015 at 14:58.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frances For This Useful Post:

jimmer (11th February 2015), samos (11th February 2015)

Retired Member UK
    Thanks

Mind Over Matter. Thoughtography.

Source :- http://www.williamjames.com/Folklore/MINDOVER.htm

Link to an article covering quite a few subjects of the paranormal.
    If you keep scrolling down through the article there is a section that covers, Psychic Photograps.
    Ted Serios and his thoughtographs are discussed.
    Frances.
    Last edited by Frances, 26th March 2015 at 14:42.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frances For This Useful Post:

jimmer (11th February 2015), samos (11th February 2015), Seikou-Kishi (24th February 2015)

Retired Member UK
    Thanks

Masuaki Kiyota. Thought Photography.

Psychokenesis: Thought Photography.
    There's area of ITC (Instrumental Transcommunication), that's called "Thought Photography".

"In the 1970’s, the Japanese Nengraphy Association (nengraphy being the Japanese name for thoughtography) conducted experiments with the Japanese teenage psychic wonder, Masuaki Kiyota. He proved to have the ability to transmit images on to unexposed film under strict scientific conditions.

Dr. Walter Uphoff supervised a series of experiments with Kiyota under laboratory conditions in Tokyo, as well as in the United States for a special NBC-TV program on the paranormal. He was able to produce photographs of a nearby hotel and other images using a Polaroid camera, even though it was placed on a table across from him with its’ lens cap on, and the shutter release never touched."

There are cases when things show up that are somewhere within the vicinity of where the experiment is taking place.. like buildings or street views, for example. The experimenter will not be focusing on such things at all yet they still show up in the undeveloped film that they focused on. Sometimes what shows up is not even anywhere near where the experimenter is taking place... i.e. a building or scene from some other place clear across the world or even "time".

Then there are times when things show up that are actually part of photographs taken previously by others that are seen books (but not always because sometimes they are isolated photo's or photographic material of one sort or another). This part of the phenomenon indeed brings up accusations of fraud yet, it's just another weird aspect of this phenomenon too.

What's even stranger about this is that the experimenter claims that they have never even seen the book before and had no prior knowledge of its existence and that the same photo that showed up in his experiment, was to be found in the book. I run across this aspect of this phenomenon a few times and needless to say it's very embarrassing for the experimenter/psychic photographer because such evidence like that definitely points in the direction of fraud, but because there have been a number of incidents like this among those who are good at thought photography and paranormal photography, those of us who study such material have been willing to give some of those psychics who have had that happen before the benefit of the doubt especially for those who have clearly demonstrated their abilities in thought photography or paranormal photography already for several years.

In my own view, in cases like what's described in the above paragraph, I'm not ruling out that those spirits whom the psychic photographer is consciously or unconsciously working with, actually goes to a book or a photo somewhere and then impresses that image onto the film. So in that case, it was the spirit (or a being from those realms outside of our own) that was using psychokinesis to impress that image onto the film in the experiment and not experimenter himself and it's not unlike how apports show up in legitimate seances
    At any rate, we are, afterall, dealing with the paranormal which means that we don't make the rules because there are other forces out there that are calling the shots.

This means that 'anything' can happen and anything is possible. That is the nature of Fortean Phenomenon's.
    Frances.

It should be said that the above text are not my words.
    It's an excellent summary so I have included them.
    Last edited by Frances, 11th February 2015 at 14:15.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frances For This Useful Post:

jimmer (11th February 2015), samos (11th February 2015), Seikou-Kishi (24th February 2015)

Retired Member UK
    Thanks

Mike Paterson, Sasquatch Ontario. The Sinister Face Photograph.

This was not a thought photography experiment.

This image was imposed by an entity/being onto the digital camera.
    Taken in 2014 at 2am in the morning.

Time stamp is 2am, when it is pitch black in the forest.
    No flash has gone off.
    The image is imposed onto the digital point & shoot camera.

The point and shoot camera was in the cottage on the table when the images appear.
    The camera gets checked at intervals and the images are there. No flash goes off.

Mike did leave the camera out in the forest in the early part of his research, the camera is now kept indoors on the table in the cottage.

Photographs appear when the camera is within arms reach of Mike and the cottage owner, and camera is on the table.

Mike checks the camera at intervals while they are sitting there at the table and the camera is in sight.

You see the angular face, nostrils and the oriental eyes which are clearly shown in the foreground.
    In the background you see another smaller face?

Mike Paterson has given me permission to use this photograph. It is not in his videos but he has it on his facebook page.
    Frances.
    Last edited by Frances, 18th February 2015 at 19:00.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frances For This Useful Post:

jimmer (12th February 2015), samos (12th February 2015), sandancer (12th February 2015)

Retired Member UK
    Thanks

The Sinister Face Photograph.

In the above photograph, some points to look at.

You can clearly see how light it is by looking at the green trees.
    The brown bark on the trees can be seen.

The forest is lit up as it is during the day time.
    Now what ever the dimensional world/realm this is, it is clearly not pitch black night time when this image was imposed.

Should any readers follow Mike Paterson and his research, Sasquatch Ontario.
    You will know Mike, the cottage owner and his family are not hoaxers.
    They are full on genuine.
    Frances.
    Last edited by Frances, 11th February 2015 at 16:14.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frances For This Useful Post:

jimmer (12th February 2015), samos (12th February 2015), sandancer (12th February 2015), Seikou-Kishi (24th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,116 Times in 3,777 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Frances View Post

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pdpygM5iK8

Uploaded January 29th 2008.
    Video 6:14.

"In the 1970’s, the Japanese Nengraphy Association (nengraphy being the Japanese name for thoughtography) conducted experiments with the Japanese teenage psychic wonder, Masuaki Kiyota.
    He proved to have the ability to transmit images on to unexposed film under strict scientific conditions. Dr. Walter Uphoff supervised a series of experiments with Kiyota under laboratory conditions in Tokyo, as well as in the United States for a special NBC-TV program on the paranormal. He was able to produce photographs of a nearby hotel and other images using a Polaroid camera, even though it was placed on a table across from him with its’ lens cap on, and the shutter release never touched."

The video is not the best but the content is good.
    It's also in Japanaese. If I come across a better one I will post it.

One of the reasons I like this experiment is that Masuaki does not touch the camera, he projects his thoughts onto the unopened pack of Polaroid films.
    As in the Scoles experiment the images were projected onto unopened film reel.
    Frances.
    I just watched this vid after having a long day.
    the beginning is hilarious (considered my mashed state of mind).
    what a mind F.

wonder what this fellow is doing now?
    quite the talent.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jimmer For This Useful Post:

Frances (11th February 2015), samos (12th February 2015), Seikou-Kishi (24th February 2015)

Retired Member Great Britain
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 212 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Frances View Post

This was not a thought photography experiment.

This image was imposed by an entity/being onto the digital camera.
    Taken in 2014 at 2am in the morning.

Time stamp is 2am, when it is pitch black in the forest.
    No flash has gone off.
    The image is imposed onto the digital point & shoot camera.

The point and shoot camera was in the cottage on the table when the images appear.
    The camera gets checked at intervals and the images are there. No flash goes off.

Mike did leave the camera out in the forest in the early part of his research, the camera is now kept indoors on the table in the cottage.

Photographs appear when the camera is within arms reach of Mike and the cottage owner, and camera is on the table.

Mike checks the camera at intervals while they are sitting there at the table and the camera is in sight.

You see the angular face, nostrils and the oriental eyes which are clearly shown in the foreground.
    In the background you see another smaller face?

Mike Paterson has given me permission to use this photograph. It is not in his videos but he has it on his facebook page.
    Frances..
    Thanks Frances and Mike for sharing it with us !

It may be paredolia on my part but I see at least four faces in this photo !

I'll have to study this carefully when I have a bit more time , Mike and the Sasquatch People continue to amaze us

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sandancer For This Useful Post:

Frances (12th February 2015), jimmer (12th February 2015), samos (12th February 2015), Seikou-Kishi (24th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,116 Times in 3,777 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by sandancer View Post
    Thanks Frances and Mike for sharing it with us !

It may be paredolia on my part but I see at least four faces in this photo !

I'll have to study this carefully when I have a bit more time , Mike and the Sasquatch People continue to amaze us
    I just see a gassy amorphic 'clump' between foliage and the trunk.
    although, a very mysterious image to add to mike's cache.
    thanks for posting, frances.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jimmer For This Useful Post:

Frances (12th February 2015), samos (12th February 2015), Seikou-Kishi (24th February 2015)

Retired Member UK
    Thanks

Stigmata.

Stigmata.

Marks resembling the wounds of the crucified Christ that appear inexplicably on the limbs and body of certain sensitive individuals, especially Christian mystics. The most common stigmata are marks on a person's hands and feet resembling piercing with nails, sometimes accompanied by bleeding. Other stigmata include the weals of scourging, wounds on the shoulder and side, the bruising of the wrists (where Christ was bound with cords), and marks on the mouth (paralleling the effect of the sponge soaked in vinegar). The most dangerous stigma is the Ferita or heart wound, which under normal circumstances can cause death.

There have been hundreds of cases of stigmata over the last two thousand years, many of them on the bodies of women. In spite of some actual or suspected frauds, most of these cases seem genuine, and some individuals bearing stigmata have been canonized or beatified by the Roman Catholic Church. In those cases, the stigmata was one of many criteria used to determine canonization and church authorities have never used belief in stigmatization as a mark of holiness.

Some people believe the Apostle St. Paul was the first stigmatic. He wrote in an epistle: Ego enim stigmata Domini Jesus in corpore meo porto. In the first twelve centuries of the history of the church his words were taken figuratively. There were ascetics who had wounds attributed to the teeth and claws of the devil on their body, but it was St. Francis of Assisi (died 1226) from whom the history of stigmatic wounds really dates. He was also reported to have manifested the phenomenon of bilocation. He carried the marks of stigmata during the final two years of his life. He fasted all through the 40-day fast of St. Michael and concentrated his thoughts on the Passion of Christ.

Not only was his flesh torn and bleeding at the five places, but

"… his hands and feet appeared to be pierced through the middle with nails, the heads of which were in the palm of his hands and the soles of his feet; and the points came out again in the back of the hands and the feet, and were turned back and clinched in such a manner that within the bend formed by the reversal of the points a finger could easily be placed as in a ring, and the heads of the nails were found and black. They were the source of constant pain and of the utmost inconvenience. He could walk no more and became exhausted by the suffering and loss of blood. It hastened his premature decease…. After the death of Francis … a certain cavalier, named Jeronime, who had much doubted and was incredulous concerning them …ventured, in the presence of the brethren and many seculars to move about the nails in the hands and feet."

The Reverend F. Fielding-Ould, in his book Wonders of the Saints (1919), conjectured that the nails were of some horny material the body is able to naturally develop.

La Bienheureuse Lucie de Narni (1476-1544) carried stigmata for seven years, from 1496 onward. Reportedly, four years after her death, her body was exhumed. It was perfectly preserved and exhaled a sweet scent. The stigmatic wounds on her sides were open and blood flowed from time to time. In 1710 she was again exhumed and the body was found still intact.

The stigmatic wounds of Johnanna della Croce, 1524, appeared every Friday and vanished the following Sunday.

St. Veronique Giuliani, born in 1660, received the crown of thorns at the age of 33. On April 5, 1679, the five wounds developed.

Seventy-five years after the death of St. Francis 30 stigmatic cases were on record, including twenty-five women. Dr. Antoine Imbert-Gourbeyre in his monograph L'Hypnotisme et la Stigmatisation (1899) recorded more than 321 cases, and men comprised a seventh of the cases. This number includes the "compatients." and not those instances in which the stigmatic wounds were considered the work of the devil.

The "compatients" or participants did not exhibit the physiological signs of stigmatization in the form of wounds. It is believed to be an inner, psychical experience, noticeable, however, by outsiders as well. For instance, the complexion of Jeanne de Marie-Jesus in the ecstatic state of the Passion became dark and blue, the blood mounted under her nails, bruises appeared on her arms and hands as if left by chains, her forehead and other parts of her body sweated blood.

Of the cases enumerated by Imbert-Gourbeyre, 29 occurred in the nineteenth century. Catherine Emmerich(1774-1821) furnished one case. Count Stolberg, the celebrated naturalist, visited her in 1821. We learn from his description that for months the nun of Dolmen ate small portions of an apple, plum or cherry and drank water daily. The thorn wounds on her head opened every Friday morning and later blood flowed continuously from eight wounds on her hands and feet.

Research in the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries
    Marie-Dominique Lazzari, Marie-Agnes Steiner, Marie de Moerl (1812-68), Crescenzia Nierklutsch, Victorie Courtier (1811-88), Louise Lateau (1858-83), Marie-Julie Jahenny, Therese Neumann (died 1962) and Padre Pio (died 1968) bring the line of stigmatists to the twentieth century.

Padre Pio (Francesco Forgione of Pietrelcina) was a Capucin monk in the convent of San Giovanni Rotondo. Reportedly, in 1918 bleeding scars pierced his hands and feet and produced appoximately a glassful of blood and water daily. Physicians certified the fact. In 1926 the stigmata of Therese Neumann, of Konnersreuth, developed during Lent. There was no evidence of infection or inflammation and blood flowed freely every Friday from the wounds. She also shed tears of blood.

In some cases the stigmata appear as simple red marks, in others as blister-like wounds oozing blood and lymph. The flow of blood, according to many testimonies, conforms to the supposed position of a body on the cross. The individual bearing stigmata may lie in bed and the blood appears to flow up the toes in defiance of gravity. In the case of Dominique Lazzari, of Tyrol, Lord Shrewsbury testified to this fact. He also referred to the statement of a German physician that the stigmatic could not endure water and was never washed, yet the blood sometimes suddenly disappeared, leaving the stigmatic with clean skin on unsoiled bedding. The wounds were often said to be luminous and to exhale a scent. Supposedly, the wounds never produced pus and after death the entire body frequently became exempt from putrefaction.

During the nineteenth century, physicians investigated some 29 reported cases of stigmatization and were convinced of the honesty of the subjects and the objective reality of the phenomenon.

One difficulty in assessing the strictly Christian spiritual value of stigmatization is due to the perception that some stigmatics have not been especially religious. Moreover similar phenomena have been reported of Islamic ascetics, who appear to have reproduced the wounds received by Muhammed the Prophet in spreading the message of Islam. Experiments with posthypnotic suggestion have shown that burns, blisters, and similar wounds may be produced on the body as a result of strong suggestion, and it is possible that some cases of stigmatization resulted from conscious or unconscious selfhypnosis.

Professor Jean-Martin Charcot was the first to demonstrate in an experiemnt the role of autosuggestion in stigmatic or borderland phenomena. Hereward Carrington in Psychic Oddities (1952) cited this case from an original document:

"On the afternoon of May 1st, 1916, I was standing in my hall, preparing to go out, when I saw the knob of my front door slowly turn. I stood still, awaiting developments; gradually the door opened, and I saw a man standing there. As he saw me he quickly closed the door and ran down the stairs and out of the front door. (He was, in fact, a burglar, trying to enter my apartment.) The interesting thing about the experience is this: that during the moment he was standing in the door, although he did not actually move, I had the distinct impression that he had run up the hall and grasped me firmly by the arm, and I was for the moment petrified with fear. The next day my arm was black and blue in the exact spot where I thought he had pinched me; and this mark continued for several days until it finally wore off. I told Dr. Carrington about this two days later when he called, and showed him the mark. Louise W. Kops."

Charles Richet stated that marks of stigmata,

"… may and do often appear on hysterical persons, bearing predetermined forms and shapes, under the influence either of a strong moral emotion, or of religious delirium. These are facts which have been thoroughly and scientifically established, and they only prove the power of the action of the brain upon the circulatory processes and upon the trophism of the skin."

As a mediumistic phenomenon, it was reported by many experimenters, including J. Malcolm Bird, in his book My Psychic Adventures (1924). Additionally, the stigmatization of Eleonore Zügun, who had strange bites and scratches on her body, was supposedly recorded in the process of invisible production by the camera.

An experience, resembling stigmatization, was mentioned by Richet in a footnote to his book Thirty Years of Psychical Research (1923). Supposedly, Count Baschieri placed a handkerchief to his eyes and withdrew it stained with blood. His eyes had sweated blood. He was unable to discover any conjunctional ecchymosis.

Dermography (skin writing) is a phenomenon of the stigmatic class, but there is an essential difference. Reportedly, stigmata last for months, years, or throughout a lifetime, whereas skin writing disappears in a few minutes or a few hours at the most. A kindred phenomenon to stigmatization is the mark of a burn or in rare cases blood left by the touch of phantom hands.

Reportedly, some devout Christians experience stigmatization. Such individuals usually exhibit wounds that bleed on Good Friday, sometimes accompanied by a personal identification with Christ during crucifixion.

The Case of Ethel Chapman
    The phenomenon of stigmatization was studied in the case of British subject Ethel Chapman. A victim of multiple sclerosis, Chapman was paralyzed from the waist down. She was unable to hold things in her hands. Chapman was a patient at the Cheshire Home in Britain, where she was interviewed by geriatrician Dr. Colin Powell, who found no indication of depression, neurosis, or psychosis. There was also no indication of the condition known as dermatitis artifacta, when subjects scratch or otherwise harm themselves for various reasons. Chapman appeared friendly, mentally stable, and far from gaining any psychological advantage from stigmata, she found it a burden. Various witnesses testified to seeing wounds on Chapman's hands and feet on Good Friday. In a BBC radio interview in 1973, Chapman gave a description of her first vision and sensations in the following words:

"I remember saying quite plainly 'Oh Lord, please show me in some way you're there.' In the early hours of the morning, I thought it was a dream. I felt myself being drawn on to the Cross. I felt the pain of the nails through my hands and through my feet. I could see the crowds, all jeering and shouting and, of course, it was in a foreign language, I don't know what they were saying. I felt myself all the agony and all the pain that the Lord Himself went through…."

Chapman also claimed that on occasions she had been lifted up in the air and smelled supernatural sweet perfumes (see also odor of sanctity ). However, it is believed that sensations of floating often occur in subjects with heightened or mystical consciousness and do not involve any actual physical levitation. Reportedly, in some cases, "astral projection" or out-of-body experience may occur in which a subtle body appears to leave the physical body.

Witnesses affirmed seeing fresh blood on Chapman's hands on Good Friday and it is believed that Chapman was unable to inflict the wounds herself due to her paralysis. Neither Chapman nor her medical adviser at the Cheshire Home seemed interested in publicity or cultism. Chapman, like some other stigmatics, seemed to regard the phenomenon as a mark of divine love due to her illness. Word spread about Chapman's stigmata and people wrote asking for her help or healing. She regularly devoted time to prayers on behalf of the afflicted.

The objective aspects of such phenomena as stigmata take second place to the spiritual issues and their resolution. The rationalistic explanation of stigmata seems to be of interest chiefly for any light it may throw on the way that the phenomenon works, but it says nothing of the mystery of the function of stigmata in the spiritual life of the subject.

Sources:
    Carty, Charles M. The Two Stigmatists: Padre Pio & Therese Neumann. Dublin: Veritas, 1956.

Fielding-Ould, Fielding. The Wonders of the Saints in the Light of Spiritualism. London: John M. Watkins, 1919.

Siwek, Paul. The Riddle of Konnersreuth. Dublin: Browne & Nolan, 1956.

Summers, Montague. The Physical Phenomena of Mysticism. London: Rider, 1950.

Thurston, Herbert. The Physical Phenomena of Mysticism. London, 1952.

Wilson, Ian. The Bleeding Mind. London: Weidenfeld & Nic-olson, 198
    Frances
    Last edited by Frances, 24th February 2015 at 00:54.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frances For This Useful Post:

jimmer (21st February 2015), samos (21st February 2015), sandancer (21st February 2015), Seikou-Kishi (24th February 2015)

Retired Member UK
    Thanks

Stigmata.

Link to more information, Stigmata.

Source :- http://www.paranormalhaze.com/stigma...-divine-blood/

Padre Pio Of Pietrelcina.

Unexplainable wounds which never became infected.
    His wounds did heal at one time, but then suddenly reappeared. Examinations, blood tests and even x-rays were preformed on Padre Pio's hands, no conclusive diagnosis was ever done.
    Frances.
    Last edited by Frances, 26th March 2015 at 14:47.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frances For This Useful Post:

jimmer (21st February 2015), sandancer (21st February 2015), Seikou-Kishi (24th February 2015)

Retired Member UK
    Thanks

Stigmata. St Francis Of Assisi.

The Mystery of the Five Wounds

St Francis receives the stigmata. From a foil plaque on a 13th- century reliquary.

On September 14, 1224, a Saturday, Francis of Assisi noted ascetic and holy man, future saint was preparing to enter the second month of a retreat with a few close companions on Monte La Verna, overlooking the River Arno in Tuscany. Francis had spent the previous few weeks in prolonged contemplation of the suffering Jesus Christ on the cross, and he may well have been weak from protracted fasting. As he knelt to pray in the first light of dawn (notes the Fioretti the Little flowers of St Francis of Assisi, a collection of legends and stories about the saint),

he began to contemplate the Passion of Christ and his fervor grew so strong within him that he became wholly transformed into Jesus through love and compassion. While he was thus inflamed, he saw a seraph with six shining, fiery wings descend from heaven. This seraph drew near to St Francis in swift flight, so that he could see him clearly and recognize that he had the form of a man crucified. After a long period of secret converse, this mysterious vision faded, leaving in his body a wonderful image and imprint of the Passion of Christ. For in the hands and feet of Saint Francis forthwith began to appear the marks of the nails in the same manner as he had seen them in the body of Jesus crucified.

In all, Francis found that he bore five marks: two on his palms and two on his feet, where the nails that fixed Christ to the cross were traditionally believed to have been hammered home, and the fifth on his side, where the Bible says Jesus had received a spear thrust from a Roman centurion.

Thus was the first case of stigmata the appearance of marks or actual wounds paralleling those Christ received during Crucifixion described. Later stigmatics (and there have been several hundred of them) have exhibited similar marks, though some bear only one or two wounds, while others also display scratches on their foreheads, where Christ would have been injured by his crown of thorns. Through the centuries, stigmata has become one of the best-documented, and most controversial, of mystical phenomena. The extensive record makes it possible to compare cases that occurred centuries apart.
    Frances.
    Last edited by Frances, 20th July 2015 at 15:02.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frances For This Useful Post:

jimmer (21st February 2015), sandancer (21st February 2015), Seikou-Kishi (24th February 2015)

Retired Member UK
    Thanks

Francis Of Assisi.

Portrait of Francis Of Assisi receiving, The Five Wounds Of Christ.

Stigmata.
    The term originates from the line at the end of Saint Paul's Letter to the Galatians where he says, "I bear on my body the marks of Jesus." Stigmata is the plural of the Greek word στίγμα stigma, meaning a mark, tattoo, or brand such as might have been used for identification of an animal or slave. An individual bearing stigmata is referred to as a stigmatic or a stigmatist.

Stigmata are primarily associated with the Roman Catholic faith. Many reported stigmatics are members of Catholic religious orders. St. Francis of Assisi was the first recorded stigmatic in Christian history. For over fifty years, St. Padre Pio of Pietrelcina of the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin reported stigmata which were studied by several 20th-century physicians.
    Frances.
    Last edited by Frances, 23rd February 2015 at 22:19.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frances For This Useful Post:

jimmer (21st February 2015), Seikou-Kishi (24th February 2015)