Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did You Know Your Computer is Set to Allow Remote Access By Default?

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,882 Times in 3,290 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by gardener View Post
    thank you for this information spiral will I be able to purchase ubunto and install in uk?gardener x
    Ubuntu is free, as are most of the programs for it, you just down load it from them, the latest one with long tern support is 14.04 LTS http://www.ubuntu.com/

You need to know what you are doing IT wise if you are going to install it alongside windows, there are tutorials out there if you search for "ubuntu dual boot".

If you reduce windows size on the HDD you need to turn it on & off a few times before doing anything else (I reduced W7 from 750gb to about 550gb on my laptop, & then Ubuntu installed itself into the space when I loaded it from a DVD I had burnt earlier, having changed the boot device to DVD drive first)

The other alternative is to buy a new hard disc drive & put that in instead of the windows one & go into boot settings before hand to change the priority boot device to your DVD drive, & then start it with a DVD in with Ubuntu on it that you would need to down load & burn to disc first.

To change the boot device you have to press F8 or F12 (it may say at the bottom of the screen momentarily on start up ) when you start up your computer before windows loads, that takes you into BIOS or its equivalent, its very primitive looking, thats where you can set things like Boot Device etc.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Useful Post:

Altaira (30th May 2014), BabaRa (1st June 2014), Sooz (30th May 2014)

Retired Member UK
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,328 Times in 1,589 Posts
    what does someone need to remote access your computer?just a ip address?
    i would have thought they would need a lot of information?
    and is there not a program or something that tells you if someone is trying to access your comp.

thanks for the heads up!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ronin For This Useful Post:

Altaira (30th May 2014), BabaRa (1st June 2014), john parslow (30th May 2014), Spiral (31st May 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,320 Times in 464 Posts
    Hi ronin, if anyone takes over your computer, you will see the mouse moving and you will have no control over it. I only know this because my son-in-law builds my computers for me and if I have a problem he fixes it remotely for me. JP

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to john parslow For This Useful Post:

Altaira (30th May 2014), BabaRa (1st June 2014), ronin (31st May 2014), Sooz (31st May 2014), Spiral (30th May 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,684 Times in 1,382 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by KosmicKat View Post

As far as security is concerned I am much more concerned about the possibility (take a bow, Edward Snowden) that Windows has undocumented "backdoor" access points which are known to the initiates of the alphabet-soup agencies.
    That's exactly what I mean about 'updates'. They can call anything an update. and all the good little people will click "YES PLEASE".

I don't want to tell the world, here in a post, how I protect my system, but I always wonder about so called anti-virus software. If I was an NSA person back in the last decade or so, I would have infiltrated those anti-virus companies and exploited their unique deep access to the bowels of our computers. When I used to click "Full Scan", I always wondered what was really going on.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (1st June 2014), john parslow (31st May 2014), KosmicKat (31st May 2014), ronin (31st May 2014), Sooz (1st June 2014), Spiral (31st May 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 473 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by ronin View Post
    what does someone need to remote access your computer?just a ip address?
    i would have thought they would need a lot of information?
    and is there not a program or something that tells you if someone is trying to access your comp.

thanks for the heads up!
    To gain remote access using the Windows Remote Assistance program requires that both the controller and the computer being controlled are set up to send and receive Remote Assistance requests. The request is then sent from one computer to the other and has to be accepted before the link is established. That's the Windows Way.

However, I recall reading fairly recently about a journalist who had paused while writing an article on his laptop only to notice that words were being removed and even sentences changed. When he typed an invitation to dialog into the text he was working on, the process immediately stopped and did not begin again (which would be standard operating procedure for someone in the "black" community).

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KosmicKat For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (1st June 2014), ronin (31st May 2014), Sooz (31st May 2014), Spiral (31st May 2014)

Retired Member UK
    Thanks
    (which would be standard operating procedure for someone in the "black" community).

i don,t know any Jamaicans who would want to remote access my computer!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ronin For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (1st June 2014), KosmicKat (1st June 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    [off topic]
    Jamaicans tend to be more of a beautiful warm brown. The people I have encountered who were truly black (almost a blue-black) seem to originate from somewhere in northern Africa.
    [end off topic]

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KosmicKat For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (1st June 2014), ronin (1st June 2014)

Retired Member UK
    Thanks
    twas a joke that sank like a rock

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ronin For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (1st June 2014), john parslow (1st June 2014), KosmicKat (1st June 2014), Sooz (1st June 2014), Spiral (1st June 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,564 Times in 1,372 Posts
    I realize digital security is an ongoing "thing". We can protect our computers. Only send mails with PGP encryption and browse the net anonymously via the TOR browser network.
    That said though. How is it that as soon as anyone creates "free energy" black heli's will show up.
    I think or am affraid that our very thoughts are monitored on a constant basis.

So even though we can protect our network musings to some degree I have no doubt it is monitored by thos that really matter regardless of what safety measure I think I need to feel safe..

I've stopped caring. I wil say and do alomost everything i feel like slinging into the bit O' sphere.
    The virus scans I do perform is to get rid of pesky malware and such..

With Love
    Eelco
    Have a great day today

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (1st June 2014), KosmicKat (1st June 2014), modwiz (1st June 2014), Spiral (1st June 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    I realized, long before I had access to the internet, that the best way to have a private conversation was to stand back-to-back in the middle of open heath. The other way that seems to work quite well is when both parties speak a common language that is not understood (note: understood, not spoken by) any potential snooper.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KosmicKat For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (1st June 2014), Spiral (1st June 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,882 Times in 3,290 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Eelco View Post
    I realize digital security is an ongoing "thing". We can protect our computers. Only send mails with PGP encryption and browse the net anonymously via the TOR browser network.
    That said though. How is it that as soon as anyone creates "free energy" black heli's will show up.
    I think or am affraid that our very thoughts are monitored on a constant basis.

So even though we can protect our network musings to some degree I have no doubt it is monitored by thos that really matter regardless of what safety measure I think I need to feel safe..

I've stopped caring. I wil say and do alomost everything i feel like slinging into the bit O' sphere.
    The virus scans I do perform is to get rid of pesky malware and such..

With Love
    Eelco
    Anti virus software doesn't always deal with malware, & is usually incapable of dealing with rootkits.

This is a copy of an email about getting rid of rootkits & malware my brother sent me.

It's safe to use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free) alongside any anti-virus software you have running because it is not an anti-virus, it is anti-malware. The free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will not be running or slowing your computer down when you click on the close cross (X) in the top right of its window.
    How do I install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware?

To install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0, please follow the instructions provided below:

1 Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware at http://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

2 After downloading, double-click the downloaded file to get started

3 Choose Yes if the User Account Control dialog appears

4 The installation wizard will now appear to guide you through the installation process
    Click Next
    5 Review and accept the license agreement, then click Next

6 Review the latest changes made to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, then click Next

7 Choose where to install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (the default location it suggests is fine), then click Next

8 Choose to have a Start Menu entry and allow its name, then click Next

9 Choose to have a desktop icon, then click Next

10 Review your installation choices, then click Install

12 The wizard will begin to install the files

After installing, you will have the option to enable a free "trial" of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware "Premium" (do not choose the free trial of the premium version, left click in the little tick box to remove the tick next to "Enable free trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium". Because otherwise it will be running in the background all the time, poissibly slowing down your computer and could annoy you with ads saying, pay for the premium version now! Which it doesn't do in the free version). Make sure the tick is in the tick box next to "Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware". Then left click on "Install" or "Finish" (whichever confirms your options in the tick boxes).
    The Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will open up. Move on to "How to run a scan using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware...".

And here's a video showing what to do (do not choose the free trial of the premium version) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4AFzg08RSI

Reference: https://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/entries/20840058

How to run a scan using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware...

1. Once installed, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will automatically start (if not, double click on its icon on your desktop to open it) and you will see a message stating that you should update the program, and that a scan has never been run on your system...
    [Image: Click on the Fix Now button to start a scan]

However, I first suggest you left click on "Settings" next to the gear/cog icon near the top of the window. Then left click on "Detection and Protection" on the left side menu. Make sure "scan for rootkits" is ticked (left click in the box to add or remove a tick) and make sure the other two are also ticked as shown:

2. Return to the Dashboard menu by left clicking on "Dashboard" next to the clock/meter icon near the top of the window. Then, start a system scan by left clicking on the “Fix Now” button or...
    [Image: Click on the Fix Now button to start a scan]

2a. Alternatively, you can click on the “Scan” tab and select “Threat Scan“, then click on the “Scan Now” button.
    [Image: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Threat Scan]

3. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now check for updates, and if there are any, you will need to click on the “Update Now” button.
    [Image: Click on Update Now to update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware]

4. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now start scanning your computer for malware. When Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is scanning it will look like the image below.
    [Image: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware while performing a scan]

5. When the scan has completed, you will now be presented with a screen showing you the malware infections that Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware has detected. To remove the malicious programs that Malwarebytes Anti-malware has found, click on the “Quarantine All” button, and then click on the “Apply Now” button.
    [Image: Remove the malware that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has found]
    Please note that the infections found may be different than what is shown in the image.
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now quarantine all the malicious files and registry keys that it has found. When removing the files, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware may require a reboot (which means it wants to restart your computer) in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot your computer, you should first, finish, close and/or save any other software/programs/applications you have running such as Internet browsers, file transfers or Word Processing software. Then return to Malwarebytes and left click on "Yes" as shown below. Alternatively you could have clicked "No" and then manually restart your computer later.
    [Image: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware while removing viruses]

6. After your computer will restart, you should open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and perform another “Threat Scan” (starting from step 1) to verify that there are no remaining threats

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Useful Post:

777 (1st June 2014), BabaRa (1st June 2014), Catsquotl (1st June 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,564 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Yup thats what i use for malware.....

With Love
    Eelco
    Have a great day today

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (1st June 2014), Spiral (1st June 2014)