Thread: Anyone in Oz having problems with email after signing petitions?

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,398 Times in 3,150 Posts

Anyone in Oz having problems with email after signing petitions?

Hi All,

A couple of hours ago I signed 2 petitions against the Abbott government here in Australia:

1. Against Abbott's daughter receiving a scholarship of $60,000 from a friend who happened to be the chairman of the institution, where she is studying

and

2. Against the proposed Medicare 'sick' tax, which target the sick, the elderly and the poor.

Directly after that, my email will not send anything. I can receive email though.

I have tried all the error codes and it sends me around in circles. Call me a conspiracy theorist (LOL!), but I reckon there is something going on here.

Not asking anyone for help, I will call my IT guy to help me out. Normally I can fix these things on my own, but this one's got me beat.

Has anyone else in Oz experienced this? I'm just wondering what percentage of people are having the same problem. To deter them from signing petitions against the government? Or have I been drinking too much cool-aid?

I'm just bloody down right cranky. I haven't downloaded anything new or changed anything, just BOOM, can't receive emails.

PS: I sufficiently calmed down before writing this, so this would not be an expletive laden scorpionic rant. I think I've done rather well, considering I was just about frothing at the mouth and had steam roaring out of my ears about an hour ago. :fisty:

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

777 (24th May 2014), Cearna (25th May 2014), GCS1103 (25th May 2014), lookbeyond (24th May 2014), shamanseeker (26th May 2014), Spiral (24th May 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,882 Times in 3,290 Posts
    I just got sent this, never heard of this before, sounds possible in this case Sooz.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-...bout-rootkits/

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Useful Post:

Cearna (25th May 2014), Sooz (24th May 2014)

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,398 Times in 3,150 Posts
    LOL! Spiral, I don't know if you know what 'root' means in slang terms here in Oz, but ahem.....rootkit sounds like something a hired hooker would bring with them for a paid session.

Needless to say that link is all gobbledegook to me.

Meanwhile, trying to write this, I am bombarded with flash signs asking me for a password to my email account, every 10 seconds, which I've never done before. Ever. It's all gone bat**** crazy.

Think I'll go pour myself a glass of wine. My nice IT man will figure it out for me Monday morning, I hope.

Thanks anyway. All I can say is the world has got a lot weirder.

Now I've got a complex. No, really.....

It will be a miracle if I can post this.

Cheers

Sooz

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

Cearna (25th May 2014), lookbeyond (24th May 2014), Spiral (24th May 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,882 Times in 3,290 Posts
    That sounds like a good idea waiting for the IT guy, I wouldn't put in any passwords for anything or go on any sites like your bank etc until its fixed, & you might want to change your TOT password too after its sorted.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Useful Post:

777 (24th May 2014), Cearna (25th May 2014), KosmicKat (25th May 2014), lookbeyond (24th May 2014), Sooz (24th May 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,133 Times in 710 Posts
    Hi Sooz, ive not had that problem and im also signing these petitions, however i get the craziest emails, so many i dont click on them now-the most recent from the FBI stating that they have discovered who has been financially defrauding me and if i will just provide a few details...

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lookbeyond For This Useful Post:

Cearna (25th May 2014), Sooz (25th May 2014), Spiral (25th May 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,662 Times in 1,289 Posts
    i used to sign a lot of petitions ,but we really don't know who they are from , we assume they are from legitimate ,lets do something about it people,but these days i wonder that they are petitions only designed to get info from you ,to send spam mail and viruses ect.
    rarely sign these days unless i can find out who and where they are.
    And yes a rootkit is designed to screw you.