Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Million Points of Light

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,564 Times in 1,218 Posts

A Million Points of Light

A Million Points of Light

I must preface this thread with a little disclaimer: I was not sure when I decided that I must create this thread where on earth it should go. In the end I settled for the subforum with the broadest scope. This is a thread that may or may not seem a little out of step. I am moved to created it after communication with a member in which I used the phrase "a million points of light" to describe the way in which those who are awake and aware seem very dispersed throughout the globe.

It is a phrase I have used before and I am sure I will use it again, but perhaps it is time to share the origin of the phrase. It is a message, I think, worthy of any "revealed text" and yet it does not come from anything pretending to such heights. Instead, it comes from a work of fiction intended only as entertainment. I have never shared the opinion of the Abrahamic religions that inspiration is a rare phenomenon. I do not believe that only the bible is inspired or only the qur'an is inspired. Frankly, I believe these books are somewhat less inspired than your average, run-of-the-mill cookery book.

This form of entertainment is a child's TV show, an anime. I watched the original series when I was child and when the second series came out, I gathered up the episodes like a forager picking berries and shared them with the younger children in my family. To them, it was a fun and dramatic form of entertainment, but there were so many good messages in them that they would thoroughly dissect them afterwards and mull over the themes portrayed in their childish sincerity.

This TV programme was "Digimon Adventure 02". Many of you, through younger relatives, will be acquainted with "Pokémon", but perhaps fewer of you will have heard of this. Certainly, there is much in the show that can be written off as childish and, of course, it is childish because it is aimed squarely at children. However, the themes it discusses are the same themes you are likely to find in any book by Dolores Cannon and it only goes to show how most adults will struggle to get their heads around concepts which are readily accepted by children.

The eponymous "digimon" are monsters. Digital monsters. They're beings whose bodies and even the world in which they live are just data that has gathered together. When a digimon dies, his body dissolves and each bit of data, every 0 and 1, disperses throughout the world where it is recycled into new things. In one part of the original series, one of the digimon dies saving his friends from evil and his data, his lifeforce, disperses into the world. In time, the child destined to be friends with this digimon finds an egg and from it hatches another being just like the one that had died: the being had been reincarnated.

In order to overcome the sequential and incrementally stronger opponents threatening harm to this world, these digimon must become stronger through their connections with their human allies. In order to reach what they call their "ultimate form", each of the digimon requires a certain kind of virtue. One requires a bond of unbreakable friendship, another requires selfless courage. A third requires love and a fourth requires sincerity. As these humans realise these parts of themselves and their bond grows, they find it in them to overthrow the evil that has seized that world made of energy. In the original series, one such enemy was a vampire called "Myotismon" who invaded the physical world (the "real world") and attempted to destroy both worlds. He was defeated and, like all digimon, his energy dispersed.

Anyway, the following three videos are the last three episodes in the (second) series. Well worth just less than an hour. Oikawa is a man eaten up by bitterness. He so longs to go and join this world of brilliance and energy but was never able to go. As Oikawa witnessed the original "digidestined" returning to the digital world, he desperately called out to that world, asking it to allow him to go too. A voice answered and it was the disembodied data of the fallen Myotismon, his spirit. This spirit told Oikawa he could sooth his pained heart with darkness and when Oikawa agreed, the disembodied Myotismon entered his body.

This has so many parallels with the way humans can become host to dark entities that play upon bitterness, anger and fear — any negative or hateful emotion. Oikawa, possessed by Myotismon, worked to change one of the new generation of "digidestined" to the darkside and he became a maniacal despot intent on becoming the evil emperor of the digital world. He persuaded him to this darkness by latching onto the person's pain and negative emotions. In the end, he is helped to overcome the darkness in him by the good example of others and the selfless devotion of his partner. This has so many parallels for the present situation, too, in which people are simply here to be, to uplift the world by their presence, to give an example.

So Oikawa believes that by putting a seed of evil in the hearts of children who have abandoned their dreams, he will open a path into that world for himself. It is a world into which only children, ordinarily, can pass and he believes that by leeching off their pure energy, he can force the world to allow him entry. The idea of dark, twisted beings draining the pure energy of children is not one that is new to the people here.

It turns out that all this was actually doing was providing energy for Myotismon who possessed Oikawa. The energy was never intended to help Oikawa, but to provide the energy for Myotismon to rebuild his body and manifest again. He does this in the following videos. He re-emerges as the much more powerful form "Malomyotismon". The doorway Oikawa opens doesn't actually lead to the world he wanted to go to, the digital world, and instead it is a world in which wishes have the power to come true. It is a world in which emotions become real, and just by thinking something, it will happen.

Malomyotismon intends to use the power of this world to conquer both the digital and real worlds. He sets about engulfing both the digital and "real" world in darkness, fed by the hopelessness and despair of those children who had been implanted with the dark seeds. Eventually, the kids realise they can use that power to overcome him, and they knock him straight through the boundary of that world back into the digital world. The children's rekindling hope generates enough light to drive away the darkness and Malomyotismon is finished for good.

In the world in which wishes manifest, Malomyotismon takes one of his servants and kills her, taking her data, her energy as a way of gaining strength. When the servant objects, Malomyotismon says he is only doing what she thought he was going to do anyway, and is that so wrong? She thought that would happen to her and so it did. In other words, her thoughts manifested. She caused to happen to her what she expected to happen. Again the parallel is strong. These two servants, whom Oikawa made, were made when Oikawa took his own DNA and transformed the data — another parallel, showing how the DNA is information, energy, solidified into a solid form. It also shows that even in the "real" world, where everything is physical, everything is really just a compilation of energy-data.

So I include below the last three episodes of that series. They're not even 20 minutes long each and, I would say, worth the watch. If you can only spare the time for one video, though, make it the last. I was about 13 when these came out and I remember discussing them avidly with my friends. I also remember sitting with the younger kids while they watched and they too would discuss the show. I remember them taking away lessons like never being ashamed of their dreams and how friendship and compassion overcome darkness.

In the end, Malomyotismon's attack on the worlds did so much damage that the digital world was gravely wounded and would take a long time to recover. Oikawa's almost lifeless body was only a few feet away in the other dimension in which thought becomes reality. He realised that in the end he could go to the digital world and he willed himself to dissolve too and dispersed his energy throughout the world where it would replenish and revitalise the digital world. Like Ken's overcoming the darkness in him and casting off the persona of the Emperor, Oikawa's final moments were moments of redemption in which he joined the very fabric of the digital world and uplifted it from its broken state.

I do not mind saying that, all those years ago, these final episodes were very emotional. Perhaps, the juvenile form being innocuous to my juvenile mind, I was able to see the content and the message unhindered. Perhaps, even as an adult, I will see the same. In the end, it wasn't fighting Malomyotismon that defeated him, it was the defiant refusal of all the children to succumb to hopelessness and despair that caused Malomyotismon to wither into nothingness.

So now I have to ask the parents on the forum: is it strange to think that your own children might be having similar thoughts? Is it strange to think of them enjoying entertainment that is not just compelling viewing (for them at least lol), but also full of themes an adult would enjoy in a good story? Many years ago my nascent love of all things science fiction and fantasy was fuelled by a woman I knew who said those forms have greater power than any other to relay profound concepts and insight. They take those concepts into the abstract where they can be assessed and considered without regard to material details.

Young or old, I hope you enjoy this. I hope you can see through the childish form and appreciate the message it relays. Coming from a family in which I'm as likely to find my 90-year-old elders watching cartoons as our 9-year-old younglings, I can't help but think there is something in this for everyone. Because of that, I want to share the following videos with TOT's small collection of some of those million points of light.

"The darkness has not been conquered and it will continue to fight against the light forever, but as long as people continue to follow their dreams, evil will be kept at bay."

"I know you're afraid, but you can't give into it. You can't let fear control you."

"The only person who can take your dreams away is you by giving up on them."

"As long as we believe in ourselves and our dreams, the dark spores will remain powerless against us."

Episode 48: Oikawa's Shame

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw1EO3xeKDo

Episode 49: The Last Temptation of the DigiDestined

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdJ2IgeRYnE

Episode 50: A Million Points of Light

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4M9CO73kFE

Ok, ok, so — childish delivery aside — I loved every minute of it at least as much as I did all those years ago. That bit at the end — the "Oh, the series has finished and now let's all feel really lovely about it" bit — it just seems like a whole alien contact scenario and like I say, I could easily imagine reading this in a Dolores Cannon book. Just replace "digital world" with "convoluted universe" and "partner digimon" with "alien friend":

"There have been a lot of big changes in the world and in us since then. So you can see we're still having adventures. They're just a little different than the ones we used to have when we were kids. Now everybody on the planet knows about the digital world and has their own partner digimon. But despite all the changes that contact with the digital world has brought, one thing has remained the same..."

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Seikou-Kishi For This Useful Post:

777 (3rd May 2014), Breeze (24th February 2015), Calz (4th May 2014), Cearna (3rd May 2014), Curt (4th May 2014), Frances (3rd May 2014), Highland1 (3rd May 2014), john parslow (19th August 2014), KosmicKat (19th August 2014), lookbeyond (4th May 2014), modwiz (3rd May 2014), monk (19th August 2014), Moonlight (3rd May 2014), sandy (3rd May 2014), Sooz (3rd May 2014), Spiral (3rd May 2014), Tonz (4th May 2014), Tribe (3rd May 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,406 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Thank you for the Point of Light you always bring Seikou-Kishi

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sandy For This Useful Post:

Altaira (4th May 2014), Breeze (24th February 2015), Cearna (3rd May 2014), Frances (3rd May 2014), Highland1 (3rd May 2014), KosmicKat (19th August 2014), lookbeyond (4th May 2014), modwiz (3rd May 2014), Moonlight (3rd May 2014), Seikou-Kishi (3rd May 2014), Sooz (3rd May 2014), Spiral (3rd May 2014), Tonz (4th May 2014), Tribe (3rd May 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,405 Times in 3,015 Posts
    you have put together something wonderful ! my 9 year old son says we live in dimensional space, and one day we will move into another , I don't have to worry about explaining anything to him I just have to make sure he doesn't lose it what ever the it is ! Xx

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Tribe For This Useful Post:

Altaira (4th May 2014), Breeze (24th February 2015), Cearna (3rd May 2014), Frances (3rd May 2014), Highland1 (7th May 2014), KosmicKat (19th August 2014), lookbeyond (4th May 2014), Moonlight (3rd May 2014), Seikou-Kishi (3rd May 2014), Sooz (3rd May 2014), Spiral (3rd May 2014), Tonz (4th May 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,237 Times in 670 Posts
    I will definitely watch and I have a feeling I will pass it on to my grandson. He's 7 years old now and such a brave little soul. When he was about 2 years old, he told me about this other earth we are going to move to...

Recently, my daughter was on the phone with her aunt, his great grandmother was dying (she had been sick for a while). Well, he picked that up and told his mom to tell her to die with a smile, that it was better that way...

Bless the children.

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Moonlight For This Useful Post:

777 (4th May 2014), Altaira (4th May 2014), Breeze (24th February 2015), Cearna (4th May 2014), Frances (3rd May 2014), Highland1 (7th May 2014), KosmicKat (19th August 2014), lookbeyond (4th May 2014), sandancer (19th August 2014), Seikou-Kishi (3rd May 2014), Tonz (5th May 2014), Tribe (3rd May 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Ah, your replies are so uplifting. Sandy, I am touched by your kind words.

Tribe... I don't know about you, but it seems as though the advances in children have picked up quite considerably recently. They seem to be coming through with a heightened awareness, and the current generation of children... they seem like little miracles. Perhaps this is only a surprise to me because it was not so long ago that I was one of them and I am only just realising how adults see children and maybe children have always seemed so forward-thinking and aware. I know every parent considers their own children a miracle, but there is something new, it seems, about all children.

Moonlight, that's lovely! Children are so brilliant like that. They have such a great way of cutting through the heavy feelings adults can develop.

Recently my grandmother was in a somewhat morbid mood. She was fixating on her own death. She goes through such periods, as I suppose a lot of people do when they've reached her age. Most people through good intentions try to change the subject as though avoiding the topic will keep everybody alive. They'll say things like "oh, why do you want to go worrying about things like that?" and so on. From my grandmother's point of view, it is necessary to provide for her own death in order to ensure that her family are as little inconvenienced by it as possible. From the point of view of almost everybody else in my family, any convenience pre-planning could provide would be of no comfort to them and they would rather she lived until she died, so to speak. It is not the inconvenience of preparations that would bother them about her death, in other words.

I can see both sides. I have always been very close to my grandmother and have a little more patience with her. It's not that others are impatient, more that they aren't eager to cross a bridge before they've come to it, to twist a phrase. When my grandmother mentioned it to me, I didn't shoot her down with "happy thoughts" the way people plaster over many a crack. I just said that yes, of course, one day she would die. I said one day we all die and that even the very youngest of us, only just able to walk, would die in time. Dying is something we all do, in the end; it's an inevitable consequence of living. She seemed to agree with me when I said to her what I have said here: when somebody dies, the practicalities pale so completely in comparison to the grief and sadness that she could plan her own funeral down to the last iota, she could have an entire clockwork mechanism set up ready to spring into action, but it would be focusing on the trivial at the expense of the significant; it would be to put a plaster on a severed artery.

Since then, she has not dwelt upon it at all. I think now she thinks that because her concerns have been accepted and not dismissed, she can relax. Shortly after I had this talk with her, my mother told me that she had said that when she dies, she wants me to lead her funeral and give her eulogy. This was quite an idea for me because although I feel the closest to her, I have uncles and aunts who ordinarily might have a superior right and I would hesitate to tread on their toes. But, of course, it is her wish that matters most. She said if I were to read her eulogy, she could count on it to be accurate rather than full of empty compliments. She said she'd hate to look down on her own funeral and hear everybody talking about somebody she didn't even recognise

I think people shy away from death and that's a natural impulse. It's painful and grievous and people don't want to think about it all that much. But you cannot take into account the whole of a person's life unless you see it through to the conclusion, so to speak. Imagine stopping a book one chapter from the end because you didn't like where you knew it was going. We are quite happy to celebrate the arrival of new people into our families. We celebrate the birth of people whom we don't even know, when we think about it. But when it comes to death, we shy away from accepting every consequence of death.

Your child (grandchild?) has a much better approach to it and it's an approach we could all learn from. If you have to die, die with a smile on your face. That is an argument Jeremy Bentham would have loved. What a brilliant thought from one of your very own Points of Light.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Seikou-Kishi For This Useful Post:

Altaira (4th May 2014), Breeze (24th February 2015), Cearna (4th May 2014), Highland1 (7th May 2014), KosmicKat (19th August 2014), lookbeyond (4th May 2014), Tonz (4th May 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,133 Times in 710 Posts
    Thankyou for your thought provoking post SK. I have noticed my older children (teenagers) certainly are able to discern the themes in movies and cartoons they watch. My eldest daughter in particular likes to think back over her childhood cartoons be they disney or otherwise and pick out what she considers brainwashing stereotyping, most recently we watched Frozen and my daughter commented that it was about time the female lead character took on the rescue mission instead of waiting for a hero.I can imagine if she were to continue with her awakening further she might run with this thought and relate it to the re-empowering of the Divine feminine, lb

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lookbeyond For This Useful Post:

Altaira (4th May 2014), Breeze (24th February 2015), Highland1 (7th May 2014), Moonlight (4th May 2014), Seikou-Kishi (4th May 2014), Tonz (4th May 2014), Tribe (4th May 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,662 Times in 1,289 Posts
    you are so wise for a young man Seikou.sometimes i wonder if you remember your past life vividly.

Wisom comes with old souls but not before finding themselves.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tonz For This Useful Post:

Altaira (4th May 2014), Breeze (24th February 2015), Highland1 (7th May 2014), Moonlight (4th May 2014), Seikou-Kishi (4th May 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Ah, thank you, Tonton, but I am not so young. I may not have reached my thirtieth year yet, but I am a weary, weary old man lol.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Seikou-Kishi For This Useful Post:

Altaira (4th May 2014), Breeze (24th February 2015), Highland1 (7th May 2014), KosmicKat (19th August 2014), Moonlight (4th May 2014), Tonz (5th May 2014)

Retired Member UK
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,328 Times in 1,589 Posts
    i was sent this a while ago from a friend,yes it is a cartoon but the message it teaches is very profound!
    enjoy.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ronin For This Useful Post:

Altaira (4th May 2014), BabaRa (19th August 2014), Breeze (24th February 2015), Highland1 (7th May 2014), Moonlight (4th May 2014), Seikou-Kishi (4th May 2014), Tonz (5th May 2014), Tribe (4th May 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,237 Times in 670 Posts
    Yes, my grandson is a very wise young man, SK. Can you tell he is the love of my life ? hehe... You should have seen him caring for everyone at the funeral. My daughter was very sad and he just stayed by her, caring for her and he did the same with his grandfather (my daughter's father). I was sitting in the back, watching all of this and was so proud of him.

It seems that I am the one he comes to with his existential questions. I have very deep conversations with him. Sometimes I forget that I am talking to a child... a lot of adults I know don't even think of the things he comes up with.

I found the Digimon in French... I'll introduce it to him on our next sleepover date.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Moonlight For This Useful Post:

Altaira (4th May 2014), Breeze (24th February 2015), Highland1 (7th May 2014), ronin (4th May 2014), Seikou-Kishi (4th May 2014), Tonz (5th May 2014), Tribe (4th May 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    He is very blessed to have you moonlight , I'm sure your paired perfectly ! Xx

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tribe For This Useful Post:

Altaira (4th May 2014), Breeze (24th February 2015), Highland1 (7th May 2014), Moonlight (4th May 2014), ronin (4th May 2014), sandy (5th May 2014), Tonz (5th May 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Bloody Hell Ronin, that was excellent! The further and further it went, the more and more excited I became to think these are things our children are watching. It's also a good reminder not to be so proud about such things or to be disdainful. If the cosmic truth is flooding into this planet and has no problem manifesting in children's stories, we should learn to accept it wherever we find it too and not just where we expect it to be. I guess that would include being open to lessons even from those we do not like and cannot respect.

When it got to the heart chakra and it mentioned love I thought for sure, with it being a children's story, it would say that the opposite of love is hatred. I was very pleasantly surprised to find the truth hadn't been dumbed down or sugar-coated. I had my own very dramatic climax between love and grief in the heart chakra and understand intimately that grief is love's shadow, not hatred.

A friend of mine occasionally used characters from Avatar in the place of the archangels and god names in the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram. It was part of a phase we went through of adding flippant elements to rituals to underline the fact that we relied only on our own power as facets of the one source, rather than actually making supplications to external entities. I used the heads of the houses of Hogwarts as the archangels in mine, the names of the houses themselves in place of the god names, and for the formula intoned in forming the Qabalistic Cross, I used the motto of Hogwarts: Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus. Fun in its own, weird little way.

Another used four anthropomorphised herbs: "Holly" (fire, south), "Rosemary" (air, east), "Cresstina" (watercress, water, west) and Ivy (earth, north). We're a particularly virulent strain of weird lol.
    Last edited by Seikou-Kishi, 12th May 2014 at 03:12. Reason: spelling

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Seikou-Kishi For This Useful Post:

Altaira (4th May 2014), BabaRa (19th August 2014), Breeze (24th February 2015), Highland1 (7th May 2014), Moonlight (4th May 2014), PurpleLama (19th August 2014), ronin (4th May 2014), Tonz (5th May 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Oh, Moonlight, he sounds brilliant! :-D yes, it's abundantly clear he's the apple of your eye. I can see why, too :-)

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Seikou-Kishi For This Useful Post:

Breeze (24th February 2015), Highland1 (7th May 2014), Moonlight (4th May 2014), ronin (4th May 2014), sandy (5th May 2014), Tonz (5th May 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tribe For This Useful Post:

Breeze (24th February 2015), Seikou-Kishi (19th August 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,445 Times in 1,680 Posts
    Here is a song for you Oliver, seeing as you're a man of few words.

Ní siocháin go saoirse

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sidious For This Useful Post:

Breeze (24th February 2015), Seikou-Kishi (5th January 2015)