Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: All Things Astrological

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,572 Times in 2,477 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Moonlight View Post
    Haha... no fear here, just a bit of ignorance on the subject and Love...
    Very glad to hear it!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 777 For This Useful Post:

Altaira (3rd May 2014), Calz (7th May 2014), Cearna (4th May 2014), Liberty (4th May 2014), Moonlight (3rd May 2014), Spiral (3rd May 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,402 Times in 1,356 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Spiral View Post
    Ok I've done my chart off the link on the last page, & found that that Uranus in the first house ! LOL

What do words like "sextile, square, conjunction & trine mean & what is the significance ?
    I will say a little bit about those words and will leave the trest to the professionals. Simply these are called aspects and they express the angular distance between two planets in the astrological chart. Ptolomaic aspects (conjunction, sextile, square, trine, opposition) are all based on dividing the circle into multiples of two and three, to a total of twelve.The twelve pieces of the chart are divided in 30° each. Hard aspects mean that two planets or signs in the chart cannot communicate properly with each other or are obstructed by certain obstacles.

Main hard aspects are opposition180° and square 90°.

Opposition of the Signs that make

Opposition is opposition and is seen as not easy aspect. However this can also be positive. Very often Scorpio people are attracted to Taurus which is straight across the zodiac. And Cancers and Capricorns can be very compatible. There is often a strong attraction in opposites.

Square Aspects of the Signs make 90 in between.

This aspect between sun signs can be the most challenging. Remember there is no good or bad in any aspects, just different circumstances obstacles that might even help us .

Conjunct Signs

Conjunct signs is determined when one sign is next to the other on the astrology wheel. How these signs work together is deeply affected by other aspects on the chart. This position of the signs is more of a positive aspect than a negative one.

Main Soft Aspects are sextile 60°and trine 120°

Trine Aspect Between Signs 120°

This is perhaps the most harmonious of all aspects. The trine aspect are always signs in the same elements. I am repeating this for emphasis and you don't have to look up to figure out what signs you are trine with.

For example If you are Sagittarius you are trine with Leo and Aries ..both fire signs.

If you are a Taurus you are trined with Capricorn and Virgo--all earth signs.

If you are a Libra you are trine with Gemini and Aquarius--all air signs

If you are a Pisces you are trine with Scorpios and Cancers--all water signs.

Having perfect harmony and a relatively easy communication between two signs not always make the perfect team but it surely cannot hurt.

Sextile Aspect Between Signs makes 60°

This aspect is basically determined by jumping one sign. For example if you are a Sagittarius you form a sextile with an Aquarius and a Libra.

Apart from thos major aspectthere are several minor which can be seen from the fig below.

I hope this was a simple explanation but please correct me if I've done a mistake.
    Last edited by Spiral, 3rd May 2014 at 20:09. Reason: fix quote

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Altaira For This Useful Post:

777 (3rd May 2014), BabaRa (4th May 2014), Calz (7th May 2014), Liberty (4th May 2014), Moonlight (4th May 2014), ronin (3rd May 2014), Seikou-Kishi (4th May 2014), Spiral (3rd May 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,684 Times in 1,382 Posts
    I'm basically an astrology 'skeptic', but I do have to admit that it is at least based on more than arbitrary measures.

As with most things I wasn't properly introduced to at an appropriate stage by the right person at the right time, I've had more than enough ******** spoken to me about astrology. Really stupid stuff that I could see straight through.

Many people I've known over my life have been really quite sweet wishful thinkers, doing a charming job of cultivating wishful work-arounds for a lack of understanding. I could see it clearly but they were so nice I didn't want to be unkind.

My bottom line grasp ( or non grasp ) of astrology is that I have no working knowledge of how to go about it properly but I have an instinctive hunch that there is something big to it, if only people could cut through the crap and get their heads directly around the real thing without legacy cultural mysticisms.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Useful Post:

777 (3rd May 2014), BabaRa (4th May 2014), Calz (4th May 2014), Liberty (4th May 2014), Moonlight (4th May 2014), ronin (3rd May 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,564 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Spiral View Post
    Ok, heres an idiot question, what is the first house (& houses generally) ? and is it the same for eveyrone or does it depend on your Sun sign ?
    It doesn't depend on your sun sign, though there is a small connection. Houses are the division of the circle into (usually) twelve sectors. They are determined by time and location on the globe and it's possible to draw the houses on a map of the globe (do you remember that picture you put up showing where the blood moon would be visible? The houses, when drawn over the planet, look like that).

In the most common systems today, the first house begins at the point called the Ascendant. This is the point in the sky on the eastern horizon: it's rising, and thus your rising sign is the sign which lies over the eastern horizon at birth. All houses have a mirror house six houses along and they will be equally sized. If your first house begins in the 9th degree of Leo, your seventh will begin in the 9th degree of Aquarius (180 degrees away).

This is why I say there is a small connection between sun signs and the first house: if you happened to be born at dawn, your sun would be conjunct the Ascendant (that is, in the same place as the start of the first house). Dawn always begins when the sun is conjunct the Ascendant, and because by the dawn of the following day the sun will be only very slightly ahead (just under a degree, since the 365 days the sun takes to move through the zodiac are divided by the 360 degrees of that zodiac), it is possible to take a rough guess at the ascendant by judging how far between dawns you were born.

Say we're two thirds of the way through Cancer. Dawn on your birthday was 5 am and the same the following day. You were born at 2 pm. Because that's 9 hours after one dawn and 15 hours before the other, you can say that you're roughly 9/24 or 3/8 of the way through the zodiac from your sun sign. 3/8s of 360 is 135 or 4.5 whole signs. 4 signs after Cancer is Scorpio, then you were two thirds of the way through Cancer and there's another half, so we can add another sign on (0.67+0.5=1.17) and say your Ascendant is about a fifth of the way through Sagittarius. Of course, it's only a rough guide.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Seikou-Kishi For This Useful Post:

777 (4th May 2014), Altaira (4th May 2014), BabaRa (4th May 2014), Calz (4th May 2014), Cearna (4th May 2014), Liberty (4th May 2014), Moonlight (4th May 2014), Spiral (4th May 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,070 Times in 1,329 Posts
    Short answer is every planet has different sorts of impact on our lives.

Sun and moon are most prominent.

Others have to do with different aspects of our lives.

How they all fit together is ... stuff for astrologers to discern.

Yes it is real.

Yes it has a great impact on all our lives.

My 2 cents worth (awaiting your 2 cent checks in the mail ... )

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Calz For This Useful Post:

777 (4th May 2014), Altaira (4th May 2014), BabaRa (4th May 2014), Cearna (4th May 2014), Liberty (4th May 2014), Moonlight (4th May 2014), Spiral (4th May 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,564 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Attachment 575

With Love
    Eelco
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Catsquotl, 4th May 2014 at 16:57.
    Have a great day today

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Useful Post:

Altaira (4th May 2014), BabaRa (4th May 2014), Calz (7th May 2014), Cearna (5th May 2014), Liberty (4th May 2014), Moonlight (4th May 2014), Spiral (4th May 2014)

Thanks
    So any thoughts on the whole sign vs placidus house systems debate?

I am having a difficult time understanding the placidus system where whole sign seems to make more sense...
    For my untrained eye anyway.

With Love
    Eelco
    Have a great day today

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Useful Post:

777 (4th May 2014), Altaira (4th May 2014), BabaRa (4th May 2014), Calz (7th May 2014), Cearna (5th May 2014), Liberty (4th May 2014), Moonlight (4th May 2014), Spiral (4th May 2014)

Thanks
    For those that like to play a while.
    There are some programs you can download via various torrent sites.(for review purposes only and then buy them of course)
    Janus 4
    Solar fire gold
    Kepler

The Kepler has an avalon course in astrology on the disk...
    All of them give detailed (generic) reports and klickable drawings that make it fun to explore..

What I find most difficult in my trying to understand this. Is the fact that most reports or sites have elaborate stories to explain the qualities of a planet or a sign. Where I'd like to have a more general list of qualities..

For a book tip.
    I've been reading "the only astrology book you'll ever need" by Joanna Martine Woolfolk.
    It at least gives all the info to get you started in a simple laid out way.

WIth Love
    Eelco(Who just got interested because of the grand cross last month)
    Last edited by Catsquotl, 4th May 2014 at 17:19.
    Have a great day today

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Useful Post:

777 (4th May 2014), Altaira (4th May 2014), BabaRa (4th May 2014), Calz (7th May 2014), Cearna (5th May 2014), Liberty (4th May 2014), Moonlight (4th May 2014), Spiral (4th May 2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Calz View Post

Yes it is real.

Yes it has a great impact on all our lives.

My 2 cents worth (awaiting your 2 cent checks in the mail ... )
    I like to see it more in a so above so below kind of way. Its not the planets or signs that influence us. As it is an energetic play that moves it all. The forces that govern the planets within the zodiac are the same that govern our lives. so its more like a mirror that reflect the dynamics of our lives..

with love
    Eelco
    Have a great day today

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Useful Post:

777 (4th May 2014), Altaira (4th May 2014), Calz (7th May 2014), Cearna (5th May 2014), Liberty (4th May 2014), Moonlight (4th May 2014), Spiral (4th May 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,882 Times in 3,290 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Eelco View Post
    Attachment 575

With Love
    Eelco
    I have no idea what any of this means but i have the same blue triangles & red cross ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Useful Post:

777 (4th May 2014), Altaira (4th May 2014), Cearna (5th May 2014), Liberty (4th May 2014), Moonlight (4th May 2014)

Thanks
    The red lines are oppositions and squares if you have them.
    The so called harder aspects..

The blue and green lines are the so called softer aspects..

Patterns like these are fairly common. I think the more obvious ones even have names..

With Love
    Eelco
    Have a great day today

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Useful Post:

777 (4th May 2014), Altaira (4th May 2014), Cearna (5th May 2014), Liberty (4th May 2014), Moonlight (4th May 2014), Spiral (4th May 2014)

Thanks
    Hello Seikou-Kishi,

I had to be brought to outpatient this morning as when I got up my head was spinning as well as the room.....it did not stop so after a lull I called my neighbor and she took me.
    I refused all the tests they wanted to do and I signed myself out...I feel I have not been getting enough sleep for some time now and also stress so I still feel tired. This post was on my mind as I was trying to find a way to answer and you just made it easier, so I thank you....I do not want to read astrology charts anymore but I know many here would like that and I kinda left it open ended.

I like to discuss more the specifics in someone's chart such as Uranus in the first house or some of the aspects but giving readings was not what I had in mind so I am glad you offered. I do feel the subject can be helpful and I also felt I do not have the experience that others like yourself have so again I am happy for your gift in this way. I don't know if I will be going to the library as I need to rest and I think the last part of the month and its energies have affected me. The eclipse of the 28th landed in my 6/12 house axis.

I was never good in math and could not have done the calculations in order to pass the AFA tests back in the early 70's so it is great for me to have a computer program that does the math!!! So glad for your input and support...

Hugs,

Today

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Liberty For This Useful Post:

Altaira (4th May 2014), Cearna (5th May 2014), Moonlight (4th May 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,564 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Hi everybody. I couldn't resist checking out this thread before I go off for my festivities. Ours begin on the dusk of the preceding day, according to Anglo-Saxon (and, incidentally, Jewish) custom.

All things being equal the sun and moon will tend to be the most prominent but, of course, in any particularly chart it is safe to say that all things won't be equal. There are many combinations that can result in the sun and moon having diminished impacts. The sun does not fare well in the 12th house of imprisonment, for example, but is very well at home in the 5th house of creativity and standing out from the crowd. The sun is also weakest in Aquarius (the sun is the planet of the self and Aquarius is the sign of selfless humanitarianism), being opposite its sign of rulership, Leo, the look-at-me sign.

There are also relationships between planets called trees of disposition or dispositors. When Planet A is in the/a sign ruled by Planet B, Planet A's energy is said to be diverted towards the goals of Planet A. You can think of it in terms of lords and vassals: if Jupiter is in Aries, Jupiter is the "vassal" of Mars and Jupiter's activities will be in support of Mars' goals. If, however, Jupiter is in Aries but Mars is in either Sagittarius or Pisces (both ruled by Jupiter), we would have a situation called "mutual reception", in which both play into each other. This can get interesting when both planets are in their weak spots. I recently saw a chart in which Saturn was in Leo and the Sun was in Aquarius. Because both are in weakened positions and the relationship is somewhat tense, it is as though the kings of two warring nations find themselves in each other's war camps. That can be a source of great distress or the foundation of an eager peace.

Eelco, I completely agree with you. I do not think the planets themselves, as balls of rock, have that much effect on humanity. I think the planets' movements are the result of a clockwork system of energetic fluctuations and these are the same fluctuations that are the background of human life.

As for the whole-sign house system versus the Placidus, well, I think any system, not just the Placidus system, is better than the whole-sign system, which is crude and unrefined.
    Last edited by Seikou-Kishi, 5th May 2014 at 22:28.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Seikou-Kishi For This Useful Post:

777 (4th May 2014), Altaira (4th May 2014), Catsquotl (5th May 2014), Cearna (5th May 2014), Liberty (5th May 2014), Moonlight (4th May 2014)

Thanks
    Hi Eelco,

Thanks for the book tip. I studied with Frances Sakoian who wrote "The Astrologers Handbook" in 1973. She wrote others with Betty Caulfield and Louis Acker on transits, and comparisons. So happy you got interested!

Happy Day,
    Today

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Liberty For This Useful Post:

777 (4th May 2014), Altaira (4th May 2014), Moonlight (4th May 2014)

Thanks
    Hi Russ,

I would like to say something about your sun sign. You mentioned those who have interpreted your chart told you things you already knew about Pisces. The sun sign is very important...It is your starring role! it is what you came to be/do and the other planets either help or hinder that. I see with with music, one of the gifts of Pisces natives...also dance, poetry, art, singing (my dad had 4 planets in pisces and had a wonderful tenor voice. Music was so important to him and his moods. Pisces are very sensitive and kind souls who are there to help and can feel others pain.
    I did set up a chart without the place called a solar chart and you have a cancer moon....the moon rules cancer and so that is a very powerful placement. Home and family ties are very important to you and you are very protective of the "clan". Your sun has a hidden trine to Jupiter in Saggitarius so you are very magnanimous with others and are protected for the most part with this aspect. You probably love to travel and a spiritual path is important to you. You may have a problem balancing your home life with your career but you are a strong person who can cheer others when they are down. Hope this helps a bit.

There was once a joke about a pisces which went like this; Once a pisces has made up his mind, anyone can change it! lol....that is because it is what we call a mutable sign, flexible and adaptable and a good salesman or con artist can hook pisces people in. My dad was this way.

Peace/hugs
    Today

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Liberty For This Useful Post:

Altaira (4th May 2014)