Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cookery/Recipes

Retired Member UK
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,600 Times in 1,366 Posts

Strawberry & Rhubarb Jam Recipie.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lATo3qN6pg4

Nice little 3 minute video, showing how to make low sugar Strawberry & Rhubarb Jam.

http://www.pickyourown.org/pectin.htm

Notes About Pectin for Making Homemade Jam.

Pectin is a naturally occurring substance (a polyscaccaride) found in berries, apples and other fruit. When heated together with sugar, it causes a thickening that is characteristic of jams and jellies.
    Your grandmother probably didn't use pectin. Instead she stood over a hot, boiling pot, stirring and getting splattered by hot jam until she cooked the vitamins out of it and it finally cooked down to a thicker consistency. You can also make your own pectin. Just see this page for directions. And if you are just looking for the best prices and all the options for pectin, click here!
    You can do that if you wish.. but I'll use the prepared pectin - it is completely natural and safe. It is an extract from apples (with a tiny amount of citric acid and dextrose as binders) and doesn't change the flavor a bit. It just helps thicken, allows you to use less sugar and less cooking! So unless you have a severe corn or apple allergy, there shouldn't be anything unsafe nor unnatural about it!
    Most pectin you buy at the supermarket is produced in Europe and imported to the U.S.. It has a limited shelf life; usually you don't want to keep it from year to year, as it's ability to gel will decrease.
    After the jam has been heated and starts to cool, a gel starts to form.

Gelling problems.

Too stiff or lumpy jam.

If gel formation is too strong, due to way too much pectin, the jam becomes stiff, lumpy or granular in texture.
    Cooking too long, but not at a high temperature, can boil off water, without breaking the pectin down. This results in jam that is too stiff.
    This also occurs if the temperature is too high, for too long, or the jam is not stirred frequently.
    Using underripe fruit, which has more pectin than ripe fruit, with the same amount of pecton as the recipe requires for ripe fruit, also makes stiff jellies and jams. FYI, commercial pectin is intended for use with fully ripe (but not overripe) fruit.

Runny Jam.

Undercooking (it must hit a full rolling boil for ONE minute) or too little pectin or sugar leads to runny jam.
    Overheating - that is too high temperatures or uneven heat distribution builds excess heat which causes the pectin to break down. This is why you shouldn't double batches - due to inherently uneven heating of home cookware - commercial canning equipment is design to heat more uniformly.
    Frances.
    Last edited by Frances, 28th July 2015 at 14:19.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frances For This Useful Post:

Cearna (29th July 2015), Kitsune (28th July 2015), mocha (30th July 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    boys in order to develop a healthy ultraviolet light as a result of eating packed in the lower back and then redistributed as the correct sequence of electrical charge into the body should be avoided meat, cooked foods eaten alone, and all the convolutions of chemical materials packaged .

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solarimplosion For This Useful Post:

Frances (29th July 2015), Rocket's Mom (29th July 2015)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,661 Times in 1,264 Posts

TOT recipes like "Mushy peas and scoffing pies"

I like cooking and eating and in another thread I saw a picture of some new kind of pie I had not seen with mushy peas.

What kind of pie is a"scoffing pie"? Is it a brand name like coke is for sodas?
    OR Is it a pie that goes well with derision?

skôf,skäf/
    verb
    gerund or present participle: scoffing
    speak to someone or about something in a scornfully derisive or mocking way.
    "department officials scoffed at the allegations"
    synonyms: mock, deride, ridicule, sneer at, jeer at, jibe at, taunt, make fun of, poke fun at, laugh at, scorn, laugh to scorn, dismiss, make light of, belittle; informalpooh-pooh
    "they scoffed at her article".
    Here is a ridiculous, mocking, dismissive, jiberous but tasty fancy assstroganoff like pie.

Ingredients for a Scoffing Pie

For the Pastry:
    250g plain flour
    125g butter
    pinch of salt

For the Filling:
    500g cheap beef (like chuck or brisket)
    2 onions
    5 cloves of garlic
    2 carrots
    a few sprigs of rosemary
    half a bottle of red wine
    2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    100ml crème fraîche
    salt
    pepper
    2 tbsp plain flour

This one is a true pie, in that the filling is fully enclosed in pastry. For a cheaper, heartier twist, replace the wine and crème fraîche with a can of Guinness. Any stout will do, but I’m Irish, so I’m contractually obligated to suggest Guinness.

To start this off, we’ll prepare the filling. Begin by cutting your meat into equal sized chunks. 1.5cm cubes is probably a good idea, but don’t break out a ruler or anything. Size isn’t that important. It’s what you do with it that counts. Like dredging it in seasoned flour. Put the flour into a plastic bag or just a bowl, along with plenty of salt and pepper. At this point you can also add any other spice that you might like, such as paprika, or cayenne for a kick. I kept it simple for this recipe, but feel free to mix it up.

Toss the meat in the flour, getting it completely coated. There are a couple of reasons to dredge meat like this before frying it. One is that it creates a flavoured, crusted surface, without having to toughen the actual meat, but that’s more useful when cooking fish, or thin steaks. In sauces such as this, it’s mostly a way of introducing flour to the pot, which thickens the eventual gravy. But it also flavours the meat, just like seasoning it without the flour would. It’s basically killing two delicious birds with one floury stone.

Once the beef is floured, throw it into a large pot with some oil heated in it. Fry until the meat is browned all over, then take it out and leave it aside. Browning and removing meat is a way of getting the richer flavour that develops when meat burns slightly (think char-grilled), without risking over-cooking it. If you added it with the other ingredients, it would steam rather than fry, because of all the moisture in the overcrowded pot. If you left it in while you fried the rest, it would dry up like my writing skills.

Wow. Three paragraphs to say what could be summed up in two sentences. That’s a personal best. Alright, class dismissed. Let’s just focus on the cooking.

Chop up the onion and garlic nice and small while the meat is frying. You want them to melt into the gravy by the end, so the smaller the better. Tip them into the pot after you’ve removed the beef and fry, stirring, until soft. Meanwhile, strip the leaves off of your rosemary and chop them finely. Peel the carrot and cut into small chunks. Add both of these to the onion and garlic and continue frying for a minute or two.

Pour half a glass of the wine along with the Worcestershire sauce into the pot and use the liquid to help you scrape up the tasty bits of fried stuff stuck to the base. Add the meat back in, along with the rest of the wine, and bring it to a simmer. Turn the heat down low, put a lid on the pot and leave it to stew for two hours.

After an hour and a half, make the pastry. Aside from the quantities, it’s the exact same as for the Smoked Salmon and Leek Pie, and I’ll be damned if I’m finding another way to write all that out again. Leave it in the fridge for half an hour.

Turn the oven on to 170ºC. Pour the crème fraîche into the stewing beef and give it a good stir, then leave it to thicken with the lid off. Take the pastry out of the fridge and tear off one third of it. Roll out both parts, making sure they don’t stick to the counter by using plenty of flour and flipping or moving them around regularly. About half a centimetre is a good thickness to aim for, but really the important part is that they fit your pie dish. The smaller sheet needs to be slightly larger than the circumference of the top of the dish. Grease the pie dish with some butter and drape the larger piece of pastry into it, lining the whole way up the sides and a little over the edge.

Fill it up with the beef stew, then beat an egg and brush the edges of the pastry with it. Lay the final sheet of pastry on top, forming the lid. Pinch all around the edge with your fingers to seal it shut. Get extra kudos for making it look all ridged and fancy. Wipe the whole thing with egg (so that it glazes the pastry when it cooks), then pierce the surface in a few places with a fork (so that it doesn’t glaze the oven when it cooks). If you have any leftover pastry trimmings, get artsy and decorate the top with little pastry shapes. As I’m extremely artistic, you’ll notice that I went for triangles, nature’s most creative shape. I defy you to do better.

Now all you have to do is put that magnum opus in the oven. After about 30-40 minutes, it’ll have turned a beautiful golden brown and be crispy around the edges. While it cools, remind yourself that all art is fleeting. Then slice it up and scoff it down.
    and how ever did I miss mushy peas? They look very good

Mushy peas are cooked simply with butter, then mashed and seasoned with lemon, salt and pepper. The result is a simple bright side dish that comes together in no time at all, and adds vivid color and light flavors to any plate.

Traditionally, mushy peas are made with marrowfat peas, which are mature peas left to dry outside in the field. These days, it's simpler to find a bag of frozen peas to make this classic dish. Mushy peas are a usually found as a side for fish and chips, and if you're heading that way, there's nothing quite like a chunk of battered fish dipped in warm mushy peas. But in the spirit of British ingenuity, this simple side can be adapted into a heap of other dishes.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maggie For This Useful Post:

Elen (6th January 2016), Frances (5th January 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Lord Sidious used the word ''scoffing'' that I know as ''scarfing'', which is a slang term for eating something. I like eating too but, not enough to write about it and present pictures of it. Some people really do like food so much that it occupies some, or much, of their thoughts. Certain body types usually demonstrate this preoccupation with food. Perhaps one of the reasons few people use pictures of themselves with their avatars.

Food production is without a doubt, one of the most important of human endeavors and those who produce it responsibly are to be commended. Those who eat to the point of diabetes, or other over-consumption illnesses, are not.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Elen (6th January 2016), Maggie (5th January 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I thought he meant scarfing. The pies look delicious. Fresh. I love that a pie is/could be called a scoffing pie.

How many cooking channels are there? I was there when the Food Network started. It's still around.

Of course it all goes back to the Matriarch of Mealtime, Julia Childs.

In Tunisia, food was a required social offering. It would be the height of rudeness to fail to offer ailments.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Elen (6th January 2016), Maggie (5th January 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,661 Times in 1,264 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    Lord Sidious used the word ''scoffing'' that I know as ''scarfing'', which is a slang term for eating something. I like eating too but, not enough to write about it and present pictures of it. Some people really do like food so much that it occupies some, or much, of their thoughts. Certain body types usually demonstrate this preoccupation with food......

....Food production is without a doubt, one of the most important of human endeavors and those who produce it responsibly are to be commended.
    Thanks for clarifying the word. There is a brand "Scoffing Pies?"

I read here on TOT the possible origin of the skinny meme They came up with hiring skinny models. They dumped the bigger 'normal' gals everyone was familiar that was the preferred and hired skinny models. The need for fabric was so much less that the bid changed significantly enough to get the manufacturers to sign. They did and skinny models were used from then on to save money on cost of advertising.

The real cost however, was that the generation of boys that grew up seeing the skinny models while their father's looked on wondering why all the skinny girls were now on TV but it never quite hit anyone that it was conflicting things. This man says the hand and the eyes were now on different pages.

Thin as equated with beauty and health and virtue is not universal.

Actually, I prefer to be with people who love to look at recipes lovingly, people who love producing and coking wonderful food. They are less likely to be really angry (?? can't prove that??)....

I do not believe anymore the simplistic ideas I used to have about "hunger" and starvation. What I used to take for granted was that people were just deprived. It is not ONLY drought and lack of knowledge. People with-hold food from themselves and one another. Hunger is an inner kind of starvation of more than the stomach. I do not understand the whole picture but I THINK it is huge and a human dilemma of depth....

People could grow the vegies, raise the meat and eat in season....even from a backyard. I know that many people do not cook. Even fewer have even a patio "garden."...seen as too hard, too time consuming...LOTS of issues.

Given the level of derision people feel around food choices...scoffing pies will not be inappropriate hehe.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maggie For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (5th January 2016), Elen (6th January 2016), modwiz (6th January 2016)