Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Gardening ideas, tips and advice

Retired Member Great Britain
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 212 Posts
    Frances and Elen I am in awe of your beautiful creations , thank you so much for sharing with us my heart is lifted !

Sadly I have no space to grow anything , just a small back yard that gets little sun and no spare cash to spend on it so I just enjoy looking at what others can do .

Cearna , As a child I spent many happy hours sitting with my dog at the bottom of my family garden which was wild and beautiful , I knew the fairies, elves and pixies were there with me , I could feel their prescence and we had many happy conversations , of course my mother thought I was talking to myself or the dog !

My secret garden !!

We bought a caravan next to a wood and I found my tree where I could sit curled up and safe in the branches watching others go by but they could not see me .

My tree made me feel safe and protected I told him all my secrets and feelings and never worried about being alone in the woods ,I could see the beach and watch the waves from my vantage point .

Happy days , that was over 50 years ago , sadly I don't think children these days would be allowed to sit alone in the woods with nature . How much they miss.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sandancer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th July 2020), Cearna (20th July 2015), Elen (19th July 2015), Frances (19th July 2015), MaryMay (26th July 2015)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by bsbray View Post
    What's that pink bush, Elen?
    Hello bsbray, it's called:

Acer palmatum dissectum, which started off a miniature and slowly, slowly grows into a shrub, although it can be cut to shape.

Best
    Elen

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th July 2020), bsbray (26th July 2015), Cearna (20th July 2015), Frances (19th July 2015)

Retired Member UK
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,600 Times in 1,366 Posts
    Hello again Cearna, you may want to plant the clematis into the soil.

Reason. The pot you buy has to be big and must be frost proof, you want the pot to last for years.
    Big frost proof pots can be expensive, you need pot feet so the pot can drain and canes for
    Support. This increases the cost.

If your budget allows, put one in the soil and have an experimental one growing in the pot.
    Make sure you put the pot where you want it as they are heavy and can be difficult to move
    When full.

The 3 year old clematis has its buds on and will bloom this year.
    The other clematis in the garden are over 5 years old and with the yearly cut backs that I do in late autumn it makes them thick and bushy when they start growing again in Spring.
    Frances.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frances For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th July 2020), Cearna (20th July 2015), Elen (19th July 2015), MaryMay (26th July 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,042 Times in 1,040 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Frances View Post
    Hello again Cearna, you may want to plant the clematis into the soil.

Reason. The pot you buy has to be big and must be frost proof, you want the pot to last for years.
    Big frost proof pots can be expensive, you need pot feet so the pot can drain and canes for
    Support. This increases the cost.

If your budget allows, put one in the soil and have an experimental one growing in the pot.
    Make sure you put the pot where you want it as they are heavy and can be difficult to move
    When full.

The 3 year old clematis has its buds on and will bloom this year.
    The other clematis in the garden are over 5 years old and with the yearly cut backs that I do in late autumn it makes them thick and bushy when they start growing again in Spring.
    Frances.
    Thank you again, the parcel arrived this morning, with everything in plastic and lots of good stuff to transport well, for they have been in the mail for about a week. When I opened it up, the two plants are barely three inches high, but one has a good shoot coming, and a label saying I am not dead or dieing I am merely dormant. They send a book for how to care for each of the plants on offer, during the winter. Your advice adds a great deal to theirs, not to mention your photos. I'm hoping I get a quicker result with the thornless blackberry. I do a yearly battle with blackberries growing up against my fence, from the school side. They came once to kill them off but can't reach with their pesticide machine, this far back from the road, so now I am spraying from my side, and my neighbour (on the othe side) is spraying from the outside, and, one year we will win. These are considered noxious weeds and must be removed so they won't get into the forest reserves, which this land abuts onto. These blackberries seem to want to grow on my side of the fence but I presume they are the brambles that some "Poms" (English) brought out here and they went beserk, are very thorny and put canes out everywhere. I had a trellis up which I thought I'd use to grow this blackberry, and have weeded the patch for the last 2 days, but it is in the backyard and on one side of the trellis, to-day Jack dug a foot deep and wide hole in seconds for himself to lie on - so yes, nothing I do seems to go easily Francis.

The reason I wanted the clematis is because I had never seen one, till I went past a house in the Vale of Clwdd with a white one climbing all over the front porch and it was so lovely, so I have wanted one ever since. However, in the winter, money is scarce because we buy a $100 load of wood every fortnight, and I never could afford it, but this year, with Esu in hospital for 3 1/2 weeks I had a bit to spare. I'm not going to be a patient waiter for three years whilst they grow big enough to flower. Thanks for your help, once again.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cearna For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th July 2020), Elen (20th July 2015), Frances (20th July 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,042 Times in 1,040 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by sandancer View Post
    Frances and Elen I am in awe of your beautiful creations , thank you so much for sharing with us my heart is lifted !

Sadly I have no space to grow anything , just a small back yard that gets little sun and no spare cash to spend on it so I just enjoy looking at what others can do .

Cearna , As a child I spent many happy hours sitting with my dog at the bottom of my family garden which was wild and beautiful , I knew the fairies, elves and pixies were there with me , I could feel their prescence and we had many happy conversations , of course my mother thought I was talking to myself or the dog !

My secret garden !!

We bought a caravan next to a wood and I found my tree where I could sit curled up and safe in the branches watching others go by but they could not see me .

My tree made me feel safe and protected I told him all my secrets and feelings and never worried about being alone in the woods ,I could see the beach and watch the waves from my vantage point .

Happy days , that was over 50 years ago , sadly I don't think children these days would be allowed to sit alone in the woods with nature . How much they miss.

What a lovely story, I understand how you must have felt, and I too , wonder what small children are missing as they sit watching TV or playing with their technology, I wander how many of them found what an amazing thing a cardboard box is, it can take you anywhere your imagination can take you, however, you tree sounds just right. I was saying about the God of the Soil, well the Tree God is responsible for the growth of the first trees on Earth, you would love to have a natter to him. I do, he reminds me of Treebeard in Lord of the Rings.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cearna For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th July 2020), Elen (20th July 2015), Frances (20th July 2015), MaryMay (26th July 2015), sandancer (21st July 2015)

Thanks
    My youngest son (he's 10) loves being outside. He loves every creature, he can spend hours just watching ants. He finds all of nature interesting and amazing.

Children aren't allowed to just be kids anymore..

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kitsune For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th July 2020), Cearna (21st July 2015), Elen (21st July 2015), Frances (20th July 2015), sandancer (21st July 2015)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Cearna View Post
    Don't forget my very favourite little people, the fairies, elves, gnomes and pixies, and the nymphs. We live next door to a nature reserve and we have teaming numbers of little people about all the time. I kid you not with this next story, I was grieving after the death of my mother, and upsetting other people with the vibrations I was putting out, so my Ivan, told me you need to go to meet the little people, they will help you.

My friend and I duly set off with no knowledge of where we were going, just directions to me by ESP, and we were told when we got to a golf course, go in here. We stopped by a gully before you get to the club house and I was told go down into the gully and there was a tiny rivulet of water running through it which I was told to stand over. Next I heard a voice telling me to hold out my hands, facing one another and about a foot apart. Then I heard, welcome, I am the king of the fairies and I welcome you to my home, he gave me a gift and my hands began to automatically move to the full shape that he was between my two hands, then one after another some one would come and say, I'm a pixie, or an elf, or a gnome and each gave me a gift, I don't see, but for each one my hands move to surround their shape and my friend could see them, so I wasn't imagining it. They told me to place my grief into the ground, which I did, then I felt wonderful. I have called on them many times for healing and they make a fairy ring above me till I no longer require it, some have stayed with me permanently, and one called Jacaranda, will clean out the house from any unwanted visitors of the evil kind. They spend a lot of time in my garden, they have a name for me of big mumma. If you visit one of their spots you may find something really strange happening - we were at a reserve area in the Blue Mountains near a small waterfall on a very clear windless day, when I spied one tuft of grass going in circles, when all else were still - it was one trying to catch me eye, and when I pointed it out one of the people saw a pixie twirling the grass like crazy.

These loved us and have never been anything but wonderful to us. One of my friends told me once, you have 6 elemental diamond fairies with you - green in colour, gold in light, and they have always been with me. If I feel down, they start dancing and singing and chucking a party till I feel happier. These and the others chase away any of the nasty type of elementals who have a habit of getting into your head, and creating mischief, sometimes worse than that, so I wouldn't like to think of you trying to be nice to them, for they are bad news.

The animal Divas are another story, we often had stories told to us by our Homeopath, who also worked on race horses, and he would come to help heal some of them, and quickly told the horse off if it was about to kick, my friend, which some liked to do.
    Wow! That is so wonderful! I love it thanks for sharing!!!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MaryMay For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th July 2020), Cearna (26th July 2015), Elen (23rd August 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,405 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Francis your garden is looking beautiful here back in 2015 , how is it now and have you got any lovely bird visitors?

Quote Originally posted by Kitsune View Post
    My youngest son (he's 10) loves being outside. He loves every creature, he can spend hours just watching ants. He finds all of nature interesting and amazing.

Children aren't allowed to just be kids anymore..
    my son is 16 and he is a avid gardener , he also loses himself watching the bees and bugs and keeping a score on how many different species he can spot ! its lovely

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tribe For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th July 2020), Aragorn (15th July 2020), Catsquotl (16th July 2020), Dreamtimer (16th July 2020), Elen (16th July 2020), Emil El Zapato (15th July 2020), Kitsune (16th July 2020), PurpleLama (16th July 2020), Wind (15th July 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,564 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Tribe

Have a great day today

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th July 2020), Dreamtimer (16th July 2020), Elen (16th July 2020), PurpleLama (16th July 2020), Tribe (16th July 2020), Wind (16th July 2020)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,405 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Catsquotl View Post
    Tribe

Aw Darling catsquoti , felt that thank you

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tribe For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th July 2020), Dreamtimer (16th July 2020), Elen (17th July 2020), PurpleLama (16th July 2020), Wind (16th July 2020)