Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gardening ideas, tips and advice

Thanks
    So beautiful!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kitsune For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th July 2015), Elen (16th July 2015), Frances (15th July 2015), sandancer (19th July 2015), sandy (19th July 2015)

Retired Member UK
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,600 Times in 1,366 Posts
    Hello Elen, I love your stone work and your trees.
    There are some wonderful shapes with the trees and they add another dimension to the garden, makes it interesting and pleasing to look at.
    Thanks for showing us your garden.
    Frances.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Frances For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th July 2015), Cearna (18th July 2015), Elen (16th July 2015), MaryMay (19th July 2015), modwiz (19th July 2015), sandancer (19th July 2015), sandy (19th July 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,042 Times in 1,040 Posts
    Love the gardens. I haven't worked on mine, since the doctors told me I wasn't to bend over. However, as you know I got carried away and bout tulips, that gave me the gardening bug back again. at the moment, there is a parcel of plants sitting at the High School, Would you believe we are no 1 in our street and this house has been here for about 100 years, so when the High School was built they numbered it 1A and the posties never seem to be able to sort out who lives where, so my parcel was delivered there on Thursday, and I went down in the rain to collect it, but it was too long a distance and too heavy a parcel for me to carry. Yesterday, it snowed, so school was closed for the day - you might find that strange on your side of the world, but we are one of the few places where it does snow and that is only a few days in the year, so they don't ever set anything up to clear the roads, other than nature herself, so I am going to have to wait till Monday for some one from the school to deliver my parcel to me.

So, Frances in this parcel I have 2 clematis, which I have never grown before, one a similar colour to the one I see in your photo, growing on a trellis. I have a peach/arine tree which doesn't do too well, because there is too much wind in June for me to spray for curley leaf and I decided it might be ideal to grow a clematis over it. the other one is a single mauve/purple which I want to tral on a trellis against a wooden fence where it will get the sun, and what I am asking you is, do you put the plant inside the trellis, so that it can grow outwards, or put the plant on the outside of it and you keep trailing it where you want it to go, Yours is just lovely, as are all the rest of your wonderful blossoms. I am on a pension, so the few plants I bought was all I could afford. I still have to dig the ground for some of them and get pots ready for the rest.

I have this large backyard, which was fine once, till we got Jack our dog, who has made it into a racing track and is plowing it up, so gardening there is a bit of a waste of time.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cearna For This Useful Post:

Bob (18th July 2015), Elen (18th July 2015), modwiz (19th July 2015), RealityCreation (19th July 2015)

Retired Member UK
    Thanks
    Hello Cearna, life never makes things easy for you does it?

Let the clematis grow in front of the trellis, tie the stems to the trellis as it grows.
    The stems get very long and need support.
    Position the clematis so it is easy for you to cut it back when the time is right. They benefit from being cut back once a year, if they are left they will still grow but all the blooms may be at the very top of the plant, with little or nothing at the middle and bottom.

Above is a photo of a cane obelisk that I put together to support the clematis in a large pot.
    I am going to post some photos of the ones I have so you get a better idea.
    Frances.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frances For This Useful Post:

Cearna (19th July 2015), Elen (19th July 2015), Kitsune (18th July 2015), modwiz (19th July 2015), RealityCreation (19th July 2015), sandancer (19th July 2015)

Retired Member UK
    Thanks

You will see the cane obelisk that is in the pot, and any long stems that stick out and need support I just tie them to the trellis.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frances For This Useful Post:

Cearna (19th July 2015), Elen (19th July 2015), Kitsune (18th July 2015), modwiz (19th July 2015), RealityCreation (19th July 2015)

Retired Member UK
    Thanks

This clematis is in the ground. I am using the conifers as a support for it to climb up.
    This is still a young clematis and I am just trying out a little experiment to see what it looks like when it starts to bloom.
    It is only three years old.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frances For This Useful Post:

Cearna (19th July 2015), Elen (19th July 2015), Kitsune (18th July 2015), modwiz (19th July 2015), RealityCreation (19th July 2015)

Retired Member UK
    Thanks

Theses two clematis are in the ground and tied to the back of the fence. As they grew I tied the stems back to a willow screen on the fence.
    Frances.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frances For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Your garden is stunning!

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kitsune For This Useful Post:

Cearna (19th July 2015), Elen (19th July 2015), Frances (18th July 2015), modwiz (19th July 2015), RealityCreation (19th July 2015)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Frances View Post

Wow! that is fantastic! Beautiful!

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MaryMay For This Useful Post:

Cearna (19th July 2015), Elen (19th July 2015), Frances (19th July 2015), modwiz (19th July 2015), RealityCreation (19th July 2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Moonlight View Post

I have a lot of little critters in my yard who think I'm there to feed them. I often times have to have a talk with the devas to let them know not to be so greedy in the garden. They can serve themselves in the garden just as long as they leave some for me too! For example, I had an Italian parsley in my garden that the bugs (earwigs) were just killing. I got really mad and had a chat with the deva. They don't like humans very much and must have Uranus in the first as they are very rebellious. At the end of my conversation I just told them ... ok, do as you please, but neither one of us are going to have any to eat pretty soon. You are killing it. We could share, but you are too greedy. Well... the plant just thrived and it was the most beautiful parsley I've ever had in my garden... we shared all summer long.
    haha I love this!
    I often wonder if some of the Devas or Elementals dont like humans, I mean duh, weve don alot of bad stuff to the Earth, etc. But I love how you dealt with this!

I sometimes ask for blessings for the gardens from the Devas and Elementals but I like this idea better. its like bargaining but a reality check. which is good!

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MaryMay For This Useful Post:

Cearna (19th July 2015), Elen (19th July 2015), Frances (19th July 2015), modwiz (19th July 2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Elen View Post
    Attachment 1351Attachment 1350Attachment 1352Attachment 1353

This is my garden Frances. Not so many flowers, but a lot of small trees.

Elen
    Beautiful!

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MaryMay For This Useful Post:

Cearna (19th July 2015), Elen (19th July 2015), Frances (19th July 2015)

(account terminated) United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,648 Times in 2,895 Posts
    What's that pink bush, Elen?

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bsbray For This Useful Post:

Cearna (19th July 2015), Elen (19th July 2015), Frances (19th July 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,406 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Wow Frances and Elen>>>>>>>>>absolutely amazing colours, landscaping design and architecture as well as Beautiful green thumbs you both have. Thank you for sharing your wonders of art and creation.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sandy For This Useful Post:

Cearna (19th July 2015), Elen (19th July 2015), Frances (19th July 2015), modwiz (19th July 2015), sandancer (19th July 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Hi Francis, thank you thank you for your answer. Now you have me a bit worried over whether I should put them into a pot as you have done with some of yours or go into the ground. The pot might work best for the peacharine tree, and the ground for the fence, because behind the fence, is a very old very big pink camelia tree, which flowers profusely at this time of the year, but in summer has the lovely leaves that would be a great backdrop to the clematis flowers. However the one you show as a three year old, which hasn't flowered - is that how long before I will get to see the flowers? Can I wait that long. The nursery is having it's winter half price sale and I might be able to get a double mauve if I get an order in fast, maybe even a few others.

I'm sure, you like I love to garden, I must be weird, but I love messing about with compost and dirt, one of the God sources I just call Soil and he keeps talking to me about my love for the soil itself, and saying just how upset he gets when people do not love his soil, for he it was who put soil over the bare rocks in the beginning of Earth. Some of my favourite critters are the composting red wrigglers - I have two worm farms, looking more like compost bins on legs, and these little worms do nothing but chomp away and when really happy, produce lots of babies. In the next couple of days they will be really happy, because I now have huge piles of weeds, spread around the yard, and the first chance I get, they are going into the worm farms, and the worms will be able the chomp for months to come.

So you have given me lots of inspiration, and not for the first time, last year your garden was just as stunning, unfortunately the space I have is so much more than you show, which was fine when I moved in here and I was only 60, but now the size to keep up with is very daunting, when your knees tell you, what ever you do, don't get down or you won't get up again. Thanks again for the time you took to help me out. Love colleen

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cearna For This Useful Post:

Frances (19th July 2015), MaryMay (26th July 2015), RealityCreation (19th July 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by MaryMay View Post
    haha I love this!
    I often wonder if some of the Devas or Elementals don't like humans, I mean duh, we've done a lot of bad stuff to the Earth, etc. But I love how you dealt with this!

I sometimes ask for blessings for the gardens from the Devas and Elementals but I like this idea better. its like bargaining but a reality check. which is good!
    Don't forget my very favourite little people, the fairies, elves, gnomes and pixies, and the nymphs. We live next door to a nature reserve and we have teaming numbers of little people about all the time. I kid you not with this next story, I was grieving after the death of my mother, and upsetting other people with the vibrations I was putting out, so my Ivan, told me you need to go to meet the little people, they will help you.

My friend and I duly set off with no knowledge of where we were going, just directions to me by ESP, and we were told when we got to a golf course, go in here. We stopped by a gully before you get to the club house and I was told go down into the gully and there was a tiny rivulet of water running through it which I was told to stand over. Next I heard a voice telling me to hold out my hands, facing one another and about a foot apart. Then I heard, welcome, I am the king of the fairies and I welcome you to my home, he gave me a gift and my hands began to automatically move to the full shape that he was between my two hands, then one after another some one would come and say, I'm a pixie, or an elf, or a gnome and each gave me a gift, I don't see, but for each one my hands move to surround their shape and my friend could see them, so I wasn't imagining it. They told me to place my grief into the ground, which I did, then I felt wonderful. I have called on them many times for healing and they make a fairy ring above me till I no longer require it, some have stayed with me permanently, and one called Jacaranda, will clean out the house from any unwanted visitors of the evil kind. They spend a lot of time in my garden, they have a name for me of big mumma. If you visit one of their spots you may find something really strange happening - we were at a reserve area in the Blue Mountains near a small waterfall on a very clear windless day, when I spied one tuft of grass going in circles, when all else were still - it was one trying to catch me eye, and when I pointed it out one of the people saw a pixie twirling the grass like crazy.

These loved us and have never been anything but wonderful to us. One of my friends told me once, you have 6 elemental diamond fairies with you - green in colour, gold in light, and they have always been with me. If I feel down, they start dancing and singing and chucking a party till I feel happier. These and the others chase away any of the nasty type of elementals who have a habit of getting into your head, and creating mischief, sometimes worse than that, so I wouldn't like to think of you trying to be nice to them, for they are bad news.

The animal Divas are another story, we often had stories told to us by our Homeopath, who also worked on race horses, and he would come to help heal some of them, and quickly told the horse off if it was about to kick, my friend, which some liked to do.

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cearna For This Useful Post:

Elen (19th July 2015), Frances (19th July 2015), lift the veil (20th July 2015), MaryMay (26th July 2015), RealityCreation (19th July 2015), sandancer (19th July 2015)