Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Ubuntu Contribunism the future?

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Contributionism is an idea that resonates with me. I understand how it works and how it would work for me. I have lived in an alternative community, (in my 3-D tent) 6 months a year since 2010. I know how powerful the life can be. Commitment to a common community runs high and the work ethic is commensurate. Programming may be the biggest block.

Geography is important too.. Hairless mammals, (at least most humans are,), cannot live easily where ice forms for months at a time and neither do gardens meant to feed 365 days a year.

Final note: Any community will have to have an immune response to homo-pathogensis. Much easier when a whole body is not near death.
    Last edited by modwiz, 29th March 2014 at 01:33.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (2nd April 2014), Moonlight (29th March 2014), Seikou-Kishi (29th March 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,564 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Homo pathogens? Meanie :-p

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seikou-Kishi For This Useful Post:

modwiz (29th March 2014), Moonlight (29th March 2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Seikou-Kishi View Post
    Homo pathogens? Meanie :-p
    I know you know what I mean.

I changed it to homo-pathogensis

PC can make certain word usage appear somewhat queer.
    Last edited by modwiz, 29th March 2014 at 01:35.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (2nd April 2014), Moonlight (29th March 2014), Seikou-Kishi (29th March 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,564 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    I know you know what I mean.

I changed it to homo-pathogensis

PC can make certain word usage appear somewhat queer.
    You know a homeopath is the thing your hood friends walk on? Lol

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seikou-Kishi For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (2nd April 2014), modwiz (29th March 2014), Moonlight (29th March 2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Seikou-Kishi View Post
    You know a homeopath is the thing your hood friends walk on? Lol
    I like that. Very punny.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Ubuntu contributionism is a future, not the future. Very important to keep the pastels and greys working in our visions and language.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (2nd April 2014), Moonlight (29th March 2014), ronin (29th March 2014), Seikou-Kishi (29th March 2014)

Thanks
    Ubuntu is one of the jewel-seeds to emerge from an awakened humanity. It is not a new jewel as an idea but, because of modern communication, one that will find a very fertile landscape to grow upon. A new global ecology of economics is developing. Unbuntu will be one of those ecosystems. An ecosystem that can find a home on almost any continent.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Moonlight (29th March 2014), PurpleLama (2nd April 2014), ronin (29th March 2014)

Eelco
    Quote Originally posted by Moonlight View Post
    I have shared this video with a couple of my friends. I'm eager to see what will come of it. Maybe some will realize I'm not as crazy as I seem... or at least that other people are as crazy as I ... hehe

No kidding, the video is well done and can spark meaningful conversations.

Thanks.
    Good. The woman who filmed said it was done to explain to her parents what she was doing in South Africa.
    I am glad that that intentions holds.

WIth Love
    Eelco

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eelco For This Useful Post:

modwiz (29th March 2014), Moonlight (29th March 2014), ronin (29th March 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,237 Times in 670 Posts
    I too see the Ubuntu contributionism (am I ever happy you do not hear me say that... quite a challenge for my French tongue) as a seed. I also see it as a tool to spark discussions and seeding of thoughts in the collective consciousness. It appeals to me, so much so, that I am considering going to Michael Tellinger's conference coming in my area, mostly to be in the same room and get the feel, and of course hear what he has to say.

I lived in housing cooperative twice in my life. This would be a group of people coming together to fill a shelter need. I always believed in the idea, but it is quite energy draining. There are always a group of people doing all the work, another group finding ways not to do the work, and those who complain about everything but are not willing to do anything to make things happen. We always got in "he said/she said" mind games. It is saddening. But then, in a housing coop you get all kinds of people with different backgrounds, values, culture. It is hard work to get people to work towards a common goal... having good lodging at a reasonable price and work as a group.

I'm still willing to try it again. This time, we are a group of people having a common vision, and we are still working on setting the foundation. We are all in our fifties and we want lodging and community life. We all have in common that we do not want to become a burden for our children, so we want to care for each other as we grow older. A community garden and kitchen is a must for us at this point.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moonlight For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (2nd April 2014), modwiz (2nd April 2014), ronin (29th March 2014), sandy (30th March 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,237 Times in 670 Posts

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Moonlight For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (2nd April 2014), modwiz (2nd April 2014), ronin (29th March 2014), sandy (30th March 2014), Tribe (29th March 2014)

Retired Member UK
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,328 Times in 1,589 Posts
    incredible edible helping and empowering a community to be self sufficient.

Last edited by ronin, 29th March 2014 at 14:20.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ronin For This Useful Post:

modwiz (2nd April 2014), Moonlight (29th March 2014), sandy (30th March 2014)

Thanks
    I see this thread is passing into obscurity while the missing plane BS story, (it is not, and cannot, be lost) is still thriving. Intentions and priorities are revealed in the actions people participate in.

@Moonlight. The problem with non-working community members, also known as parasites, is one that has to be anticipated, with remedial action planned, when setting up a community. If one is looking for it, the lack of work ethic shows up almost immedialtely. I believe a probation period is one solution. Taking out the 'trash' is another. One must always be wary of those with cash versus the sweat equity equation. Often, parasitical types will buy their way into a position and use it to absolve themselves of work.

Setting up a working community does require planning and the will to do what needs to be done for the health of a community. There has to be an immune function or the community will succumb to parasite disease. I am glad you will still seek to set it up correctly. I plan to be part of such a year round community in the not too distant future. Either find a low dysfunction one or start one.
    Last edited by modwiz, 2nd April 2014 at 01:11.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (2nd April 2014), KosmicKat (2nd April 2014), Moonlight (13th April 2014), Ria (2nd April 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,049 Times in 1,574 Posts
    Some friends and I have been talking about starting or joining a community for some time.

I've looked into a few that are local. They were based on economics, but none seem to have common vision of sharing or community. Plus they were all expensive.

Also looked into one in Colorado. I thought the area they selected had too harsh weather.

Where I live would be perfect (weather wise). Finding the right people is challenging. Money to begin, equally challenging.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BabaRa For This Useful Post:

modwiz (2nd April 2014), Moonlight (13th April 2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by BabaRa View Post
    Some friends and I have been talking about starting or joining a community for some time.

I've looked into a few that are local. They were based on economics, but none seem to have common vision of sharing or community. Plus they were all expensive.

Also looked into one in Colorado. I thought the area they selected had too harsh weather.

Where I live would be perfect (weather wise). Finding the right people is challenging. Money to begin, equally challenging.
    Location is very important, IMO, because of costs of heating and food. With the right core group mixture of talent and temperament, money becomes less crucial. Housing needs to be rethought, especially in the beginning stages. I have spent a lot of time considering this. Living in a holistic community based around an institute six months a year since 2010 has given me both ideas and insights. The same emotional/personality dysfunctions, lack of vision, poor council and counsels show up with regularity. Inception of communities is where the first and most crucial 'power point' must be used with great alacrity. The seed and its soil must be well thought out.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (2nd April 2014), KosmicKat (2nd April 2014), Moonlight (13th April 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,049 Times in 1,574 Posts
    Findhorn in Scotland has been in operation since the mid-80's.

I'd love to go spend time there and see how it works and how they deal with the problems of the emotional nature of humans.

Also Damanhur in Italy. I believe they've been in operation since the mid-70's. And I must say, the climate of Italy is more appealing to me at this point in my life, although I think Damanhur is in the mountains, so they probably have a winter. I was hoping to go there last year, but the Universe had other ideas. Maybe this year.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BabaRa For This Useful Post:

modwiz (2nd April 2014), Moonlight (13th April 2014)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.