Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The quitting tobacco thread

Thanks
    Way to go Church!

I smoked for almost 30 yrs and the last 9 or so was a pipe (inhaled it too) plus rolling my own. I've now been vaping for almost 4 months and its great. The thing that made me decide to take the jump was just before getting my e-cig, I was always short of breath, coughing and had a wheeze when I would breathe. Every bit of that cleared up about 1 1/2 weeks into vaping. I was going to go cold turkey (even warned my family, ) but a close friend turned me on to vaping. I use a joytech (both ego-C and ego-ctwist) and now mix my own e-liquid I've also jumped up to 38mg. Because of the lower nicotine amounts in the prepackaged liquids I was vaping all day, now I only have to grab it once in a while. Plus, mixing my own e-liquid tastes much better than the premixed flavors (they're too sweet).

Granted there is no long term study on the hazards but compare the 4-7 chemicals for e-liquid vs. 400+ for manufactured cigs. In my case I have 4 ingredients, food grade VG+PG(with nicotine) and flavoring. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but the chemicals from natural tobacco (when burned/inhaled) cannot cross the blood/brain barrier which I believe is why the tobacco companies put so many chemicals in their cigs, they want that barrier to be crossed and force the habit. E-cigs should be the same as natural tobacco so the nicotine levels (I've noticed in myself) are only keeping the edge off, from the original habit. I also believe getting a non disposable e-cig will help break the mental habit of having to have something between your fingers because its held different when vaped (that's just my opinion though). Now after about 4 months, I can go quite a while without needing to puff.

For my friend that turned me on to this, his wife is a surgical nurse and I've talked with her about the difference between smoke and vapor. She said the particles from vapor (e-liquid) are smaller than the particles from smoke so should be less of an irritant in the lungs, but an irritant non the less. While she will not say they're good for you, she does say they're definitely better than smoking. They've both been vaping for quite a while and working their way down to quitting.

Again, way to go Church, keep it up!!

-z

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Zebowho For This Useful Post:

Altaira (19th September 2013), Calabash (19th September 2013), Frances (19th September 2013), Highland1 (14th October 2013), jagman (19th September 2013), Spiral (19th September 2013)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,402 Times in 1,356 Posts
    here is what I read as good tobacco substitute. It might help those who want to stop smoking.

Indian tobacco helps smokers kick the habit and repair their lungs

Before the American Indian culture was shattered, the Indians used an unprocessed tobacco in pipes ceremoniously and for healing. Yes, healing lung disorders.

Indian tobacco is known as Lobelia inflate or lobelia, which some herbalists, unafraid of being politically incorrect for using an herb once banned by the FDA, use medicinally today. Not necessarily to smoke, but dispensed as tinctures or tablets.

Lobelia for asthma and other lung/bronchia disorders was a topic of another article from this author. This article will focus on lobelia as the most effective smoking cessation agent without side effects today.

A recent pharmaceutical smoking cessation product on the market drove many mad enough to commit suicide, murder or both. Few knew the severity of this smoking cessation drug's side effects until an independent found a major flaw with the company's adverse report papers.

The Institute for Safe Medication Practices, an independent watchdog group, analyzed the major adverse data that both the drug company and the FDA were allowing to get mixed in with minor adverse events (http://www.naturalnews.com/032849_qu...ing_drugs.html).

After that discovery, the drug company became open to lawsuits that could prove they continued to market their smoking cessation drugs even as several went violently nuts from it. Since many started realizing side effects early and quit the drug, few, if any, received the claimed benefits.

Temporarily banned by the FDA, lobelia is both safe and effective as smoking cessation remedy

Medical Herbalist and Naturopath, Dr. Richard Schulze, has used lobelia on many of his patients who were desperate to quit smoking cigarettes and/or heal their lungs.

He also described how the FDA ban had stigmatized lobelia's use. Now it's legal, and some practitioners are returning to prescribing it, but many are still afraid of using it for fear of medical groups hassling them if a patient has a reaction.

Lobelia is considered one of the strongest herbs in the world. It contains 14 alkaloids, one of which is lobeline, which is similar to the nicotine found in common tobacco.

Schulze advocates the gradual approach of smoking one less cigarette each day and taking lobelia when the urge to smoke becomes impossible to resist. Dr. Schulze has had many kick the nicotine habit, and he has helped patients get over serious lung problems with lobelia.

So how did early American Indians manage to smoke?

One thing is for sure, they didn't have 600 chemical additives added to create a virtual freebasing of nicotine, ensuring they would be addicted forever to chain smoking.

They did manage to appreciate lobelia's healing qualities. Even today, herbal advocate David Wolfe has noticed indigenous tribal members in the Amazon and New Guinea smoking pure tobacco in their 80s while enjoying good health.

The Department of Health and Human Services approved 599 chemical additives to cigarettes in 1994. Among them are ammonia compounds to create a nicotine freebase effect. Then there are the additives to the paper to make it burn evenly.

In 2010, legislation was passed in 49 states to start putting fire safe cigarettes (FSC) on the market as all the current ones are sold. The FSCs papers contain a toxic chemical used for rug glue to ensure that cigarettes go out when not being puffed.

Even before all this chemical craziness, tobacco itself has been grown commercially with phosphate fertilizers, causing tobacco plants to accrue radioactive isotopes of polonium 210. Puff by puff, those isotopes accumulate in smokers' lungs.

http://www.naturalnews.com/035119_to...addiction.html

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Altaira For This Useful Post:

Calabash (14th October 2013), Frances (14th October 2013), Highland1 (14th October 2013), Moonlight (14th October 2013), Sooz (14th October 2013), The One (14th October 2013)