Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The TOT Music Creation Thread

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,564 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Malc View Post
    Apologies we were just changing the banner on galaxy theme
    I lied, alright! I'm absolutely disappointed by the mundane explanation. Can't you just say a witch did it? Or a unicorn? Lol

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Seikou-Kishi For This Useful Post:

1inMany (25th February 2014), Calabash (25th February 2014), Frances (26th February 2014), Highland1 (25th February 2014), modwiz (25th February 2014), Sooz (25th February 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,564 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Russ, have you considered it might be easier, rather than retuning your guitars, to record whatever you're going to record in 440 and then retune is electronically? Many audio programmes have a facility to change A440 to A432, and your computer would be able to do it in seconds and all you'd have to do is click a few buttons

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Seikou-Kishi For This Useful Post:

1inMany (25th February 2014), Calabash (25th February 2014), Frances (26th February 2014), Highland1 (25th February 2014), modwiz (25th February 2014), Sooz (25th February 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Regarding tuning. What is now standard tuning or "A" 440, began in the '44-'45 period. It was "A"432 before that.

440 tuning comes from the same twisted minds that bring us GMO's. Since reality is made of choices, my choice is with the 'good guys'. Not a very hard choice for me. Organic corn or GMO corn? It's a no-brainer for me.

Just got up. I look forward to hearing Russ' songs after I wake up a bit.

From wikipedia: A suspicious source depending on material.
    A440 is widely used as concert pitch in United Kingdom[3] and the United States. In continental Europe the frequency of the A is commonly 442 Hz and 443 Hz.[4][5] In the period instrument movement, a consensus has arisen around a modern baroque pitch of 415 Hz (currently, A flat), baroque for some special church music (Chorton pitch) at 466 Hz (A sharp) and classical pitch at 432 Hz.[6]
    I had no idea that 432 tuning would be an issue with us awake folk.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (25th February 2014), Calabash (25th February 2014), Frances (26th February 2014), Highland1 (25th February 2014), Seikou-Kishi (25th February 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,684 Times in 1,382 Posts
    Bach ( the harpsichord and piano man ) invented equal temperament tuning, which was the point where I think it all went wrong. Before that, tuning was always modal and single key instruments etc. I don't know why they eventually dragged it up to 440, but it's probably a false gravitation of the ear since it was cut loose from modal harmonics.

Hey, folks....... here's what happened when I stopped playing guitar and started playing the bloody studio instead ...[get me outa here....]

Patsy Lee Harvey's Dirge:
    https://app.box.com/s/oqxhvowc17lyt3r17gk8
    Last edited by norman, 25th February 2014 at 01:27.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Useful Post:

1inMany (25th February 2014), Calabash (25th February 2014), Frances (26th February 2014), Highland1 (25th February 2014), modwiz (25th February 2014), Seikou-Kishi (25th February 2014), Sooz (25th February 2014)

Thanks
    WOW, Russ. Real recordings. Full songs too. Nice, lush guitar tone. Welcoming, open music. Very workable.

Well, the choosers are getting some choices. It's great.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (25th February 2014), BabaRa (26th February 2014), Calabash (25th February 2014), Frances (26th February 2014), Highland1 (25th February 2014), Sooz (25th February 2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by norman View Post
    Bach ( the harpsichord and piano man ) invented equal temperament tuning, which was the point where I think it all went wrong. Before that, tuning was always modal and single key instruments etc. I don't know why they eventually dragged it up to 440, but it's probably a false gravitation of the ear since it was cut loose from modal harmonics.

Hey, folks....... here's what happened when I stopped playing guitar and started playing the bloody studio instead ...[get me outa here....]

Patsy Lee Harvey's Dirge:
    https://app.box.com/s/oqxhvowc17lyt3r17gk8
    That is brilliant Norman. I like your music. You gave me some links at PA while I was there.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (25th February 2014), BabaRa (26th February 2014), Calabash (25th February 2014), Frances (26th February 2014), Highland1 (25th February 2014), Sooz (25th February 2014)

Thanks
    It is my view that this very popular thread, in the top three?, serves a better purpose being public. I do not understand the desire, or reasoning, to keep it members only.

The musical options are accruing nicely. However, unless/until this thread goes public, I will post my thoughts in the tent. Questions regarding further development and my involvement can be had by PM while we remain a members only thread.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (25th February 2014), 777 (25th February 2014), BabaRa (26th February 2014), Calabash (25th February 2014), Frances (26th February 2014), Highland1 (25th February 2014), Sooz (25th February 2014)

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,398 Times in 3,150 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    That is brilliant Norman. I like your music. You gave me some links at PA while I was there.
    I agree Modz, love the background tracks, very techy and haunting. The sound is excellent even on my crappy speakers.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (25th February 2014), BabaRa (26th February 2014), Frances (26th February 2014), Highland1 (25th February 2014), modwiz (25th February 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,470 Times in 981 Posts
    Hi Norman, thats a great soundtrack, you certainly know how to engineer sound.
    I get quite lost in the technology which makes it frustrating trying to capture an idea on the fly.
    If your ever in Yorkshire.....?
    Hi Modz, I have no objection for this thread going open to public as I think it was purple lama who originally suggested it to go on members only but I cant remember why?
    I think it it would be a good idea if someone attempted to apply some words to what has been put forward so far?
    Seikou, your probably right that there is a way to digitally detune a recording but I have yet to find out how to do this.
    Give me a guitar and im completely at home but put me in a studio and I leave it to the engineers and producers to work their magic.
    I only wish I had some of Normans skills to enhance the quality of sound.
    Also, im wondering if maybe some more modern style of music should be brought in to entice younger blood to step forward with some input? Will the real 777 stand up? Lol
    Thank you for your comments, they are greatly and humbly appreciated.

Russ

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Highland1 For This Useful Post:

1inMany (25th February 2014), BabaRa (26th February 2014), Calabash (25th February 2014), Frances (26th February 2014), modwiz (25th February 2014), Sooz (25th February 2014)

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,398 Times in 3,150 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Highland1 View Post
    Hi Norman, thats a great soundtrack, you certainly know how to engineer sound.
    I get quite lost in the technology which makes it frustrating trying to capture an idea on the fly.
    If your ever in Yorkshire.....?
    Hi Modz, I have no objection for this thread going open to public as I think it was purple lama who originally suggested it to go on members only but I cant remember why?
    I think it it would be a good idea if someone attempted to apply some words to what has been put forward so far?
    Seikou, your probably right that there is a way to digitally detune a recording but I have yet to find out how to do this.
    Give me a guitar and im completely at home but put me in a studio and I leave it to the engineers and producers to work their magic.
    I only wish I had some of Normans skills to enhance the quality of sound.
    Also, im wondering if maybe some more modern style of music should be brought in to entice younger blood to step forward with some input? Will the real 777 stand up? Lol
    Thank you for your comments, they are greatly and humbly appreciated.

Russ
    Hi Russ and All,

Agree with all you've said Russ. I have no problem with it being public, it's hardly a personal or secretive thing - the more input the better and could entice some of the lurkers to join in. Agree with more modern style of music (although I love everything that's been presented). I think 7's rapping skills would be brilliant, have you seen him in full flight? Awesome! I love rap btw, for an old chick, lol. It's modern day poetry.

I think we have all bases covered here with musical gifts. And don't forget Church - he's a sound engineer! (Although he may be too busy atm).

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (25th February 2014), BabaRa (26th February 2014), Calabash (25th February 2014), Frances (26th February 2014), Highland1 (25th February 2014), modwiz (25th February 2014)

Retired Member Haiti
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,813 Times in 895 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Highland1 View Post

https://soundcloud.com/russell-middl...lk-in-the-park
    Love/d this - really nice to groove to in a hip-hop kinda way

https://soundcloud.com/russell-middleton/who-knows
    So different to Walk in the Park but just as good - Tony has a great voice . . . (you know, I think I might be in lurve . . . [sigh])

https://soundcloud.com/russell-middleton/your-not-alone
    Again very different to the above, but powerful nevertheless.
    I love the depth of your guitar, Russ - you really make it croon (apols - in band speak I should have said "axe" – however, when I substituted it the word, it sounded a little weird and creepy, so guitar it remains! – for this post anyway . . .) J

Though you say you play heavy classic rock as a rule, 10cc's "I'm not in love" is, arguably, one of the greatest songs ever - even my dad loves it - lol . . . . ha ha ha

Having listened to Modwiz, Highland, Norman . . . . . what an extremely talented bunch we have on the forum don’t we? Norman, with your mixing skills, am I right in thinking that you can make an out of tune foghorn (me) sound like Ella Fitzgerald?

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calabash For This Useful Post:

1inMany (26th February 2014), BabaRa (26th February 2014), Frances (26th February 2014), Highland1 (25th February 2014), modwiz (25th February 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,393 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Ah, Mod, the thought that this thread should be private stemmed from the idea that the public should be apprised only of the finished pieces, with all the hemming and hawing going on behind the scenes. I for one might be more inclined to share verses, should I be inspired to contribute, if the sharing were done away from the google searchable eye. That being said, I would not deride a consensus should it say otherwise, or the OP or anyone else for that matter.
    Sometimes God shines his magic light beam from outer space, and it works in mysterious ways.

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PurpleLama For This Useful Post:

1inMany (26th February 2014), BabaRa (26th February 2014), Calabash (25th February 2014), Frances (26th February 2014), Highland1 (25th February 2014), modwiz (25th February 2014), norman (25th February 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,684 Times in 1,382 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by PurpleLama View Post
    Ah, Mod, the thought that this thread should be private stemmed from the idea that the public should be apprised only of the finished pieces, with all the hemming and hawing going on behind the scenes. I for one might be more inclined to share verses, should I be inspired to contribute, if the sharing were done away from the google searchable eye. That being said, I would not deride a consensus should it say otherwise, or the OP or anyone else for that matter.
    Yea, I was kinda hoping this thread wasn't wide open the world too.

For me, there's something similar between the creative processes and sex. You just don't do these things in public - for the public. Or, being very proud of your kids doesn't equate to being a sexual exhibitionist.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Useful Post:

1inMany (26th February 2014), BabaRa (26th February 2014), Calabash (25th February 2014), Frances (26th February 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,470 Times in 981 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by norman View Post
    Yea, I was kinda hoping this thread wasn't wide open the world too.

For me, there's something similar between the creative processes and sex. You just don't do these things in public - for the public. Or, being very proud of your kids doesn't equate to being a sexual exhibitionist.
    Its a bizarre world Norman, the public seem to accept war and the bombing of the enemy ( innocent woman and children) and yet making love in public would be deemed as obscene....

just sayin...

Russ

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Highland1 For This Useful Post:

1inMany (26th February 2014), BabaRa (26th February 2014), Calabash (25th February 2014), Frances (26th February 2014), modwiz (25th February 2014)

Thanks
    If we had a forum with a lot of posters and content, then the one of the most popular threads here going unseen would be of little note. However, TOT has a modest membership Some members rarely post or post quick replies. Little content, for the forum, develops from that.

One of the reasons for coming out of my shell and opening a maintained thread was to create a happening here at TOT. Something for visitors to read and enjoy, hopefully. Something that would make them want to join and participate.

Lastly there is something important going on here, IMO. That is a demonstration of taking ideas to reality. How well does a project develop without management. Will management be necessary? How much cohesion develops 'organically'?

Any project is a microcosm of project Humanity. All things learned are applicable.

This is an experiment, about us, our ideas and our ability to self manage. All part of true sovereignty.

So, between wanting TOT to have content for visitors, there is also the social experiment aspect of it that needs eyes or it is not a 'social' experiment but, a semi-private one. Ideas can be done by PM for those who want less eyes. It protects their privacy while protecting our out-reaching forum platform.

Hope that is helpful.
    Last edited by modwiz, 25th February 2014 at 22:59.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (26th February 2014), BabaRa (26th February 2014), Frances (26th February 2014), Highland1 (26th February 2014)