Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The TOT Music Creation Thread

Retired Member Haiti
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,813 Times in 895 Posts
    If we're going with the scooby-doo lyrics (are they really called that? cute . . . .) then perhaps they should be scat/rapped (like Dizzy Rascal) and we could all join in a chorus - what chorus? exactly . . . . . get going folks.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-yMcqwR6o

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhiauKb4J3M

Why Dizzy Rascal? Why, because my (86 year old) dad thinks he should be shot with a bag of crap and then slowly tortured - that should be a seal of approval enough for the renegade side of us . . .?
    A working title could be - "Sauron?) eats his hat"
    Last edited by Calabash, 25th February 2014 at 11:21. Reason: Honestly . . . . . . ? :( - NOT HAPPY!!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calabash For This Useful Post:

1inMany (24th February 2014), Highland1 (24th February 2014), modwiz (24th February 2014), Seikou-Kishi (24th February 2014), Sooz (24th February 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by 777 View Post
    I have been kindly invited into this space by Russ (cheers mate).

Would anyone be kind enough to update me as to where this has gotten please? Failing that I shall trawl through this evening. Looks like a bloomin marvellous idea though guys!!

Is there going to be a bridge section for me to rap over? (joking.....I know most of you aren't into it)
    Verse section.

You might have missed this post by me:
    Had to sign on to share thoughts.

Ben would be great with Get Down With It, henceforth to be known as "Howzat".

Have a idea of crooned harmonies working with Calabash's scooby lyrics during the non-verse part. I would have to change my setup to do so. Maybe in a couple of days for that.

I have to cool my heels and let others in.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (24th February 2014), 777 (24th February 2014), Calabash (24th February 2014), Highland1 (24th February 2014), Moonlight (25th February 2014), Seikou-Kishi (24th February 2014), Sooz (24th February 2014)

Thanks
    shoop shoop, sha-waddy . . . . shamone . . .. howzat
    Looks like we may get a song, or two, going, if we're not careful.

Shoop shoop sha-waddy
    Shoop shoop sha-waddy shamone. (with feeling)
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (24th February 2014), 777 (24th February 2014), Calabash (24th February 2014), Highland1 (24th February 2014), Seikou-Kishi (24th February 2014), Sooz (24th February 2014)

Retired Member Haiti
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,813 Times in 895 Posts
    There's something called sibelius, which you can download for free for 30 days. However, I don't know whether it's the right thing or not. I'm thinking we should put the shoop shoops in last, along with any clapping (like one of Sooz' vids - very effective - the Spanish do it quite well don't they, over their flamenco, etc. . . . . . ). How are we going to do it?

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calabash For This Useful Post:

1inMany (24th February 2014), Highland1 (24th February 2014), modwiz (24th February 2014), Seikou-Kishi (24th February 2014), Sooz (24th February 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,684 Times in 1,382 Posts
    hi Modwiz, Here's a "click track" from your own right hand.

Perhaps you could rig it up in your ears somehow and jam to it, for a shareable tune.

https://app.box.com/s/hg4z4ku73u3fmdzgq6nf

[ there's a downward pointing arrow near the top-right, to download the file ]

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Useful Post:

1inMany (24th February 2014), Calabash (24th February 2014), Highland1 (24th February 2014), modwiz (24th February 2014), Moonlight (25th February 2014), Seikou-Kishi (24th February 2014), Sooz (24th February 2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by norman View Post
    hi Modwiz, Here's a "click track" from your own right hand.

Perhaps you could rig it up in your ears somehow and jam to it, for a shareable tune.

https://app.box.com/s/hg4z4ku73u3fmdzgq6nf

[ there's a downward pointing arrow near the top-right, to download the file ]
    Thanks Norman that is a very cool app. For whatever reason, the sampled part catches a part where I must have 'pushed' the rhythm a bit, so the sample is a little too fast but, the loop really had a groove.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (24th February 2014), Calabash (24th February 2014), Highland1 (24th February 2014), Moonlight (25th February 2014), Sooz (24th February 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,393 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    Oh yes, of course.

Thank you Babarooni.
    Radda-tot-tot
    Sometimes God shines his magic light beam from outer space, and it works in mysterious ways.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PurpleLama For This Useful Post:

1inMany (24th February 2014), Calabash (24th February 2014), Highland1 (24th February 2014), modwiz (25th February 2014), Moonlight (25th February 2014), Seikou-Kishi (24th February 2014), Sooz (24th February 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,564 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Maybe Bad Ass isn't fitting and we should call ourselves the Good Bums lmao

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Seikou-Kishi For This Useful Post:

1inMany (24th February 2014), Calabash (24th February 2014), modwiz (25th February 2014), Moonlight (25th February 2014), Sooz (24th February 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,470 Times in 981 Posts
    Hi lovely people, what a frustrating afternoon it has been trying to scrape a song together for the thread!

I always play in standard concert pitch but of course we agreed we would write something in 432hz which is a natural frequency.

All my guitars have Floyd Rose locking tremoloes on them which causes ridiculous problems when trying to detune them.

Not only that, I play with my band a couple of times monthly in concert pitch so eventually I chose my least favourite guitar and starting tuning down so I dont mess things up at my next gig!

The problem initially being that my digital tuners do not have the 432hz option so I had to rely on an internet site to "detune" the strings to the agreed 432hz.
    Only after a couple of hours messing about recording on my recording platform ( Cubase ) did I realise it was tuned slightly lower than 432hz.

So, whatever ever key this is actually in I just went with it out of frustration, Sorry!

If you click on the following link it will take you to the little ditty I have put together.

Before you do though, please be aware that although I write songs and melodies, If they sound like anyone else then that is only because I am influenced by all music and those influences have bound to surface perhaps sounding similar to music that may have already been written.

Having said that, I think that's pretty much the same for most composers, as pretty much everything has already been done whereas the main thing that changes is the technology and sound equipment itself.

So basically. I have used a basic drum pattern as an intro followed by just a clean guitar sound with no frills or solos but I couldn't resist putting a little badly played keyboard strings to pad it out.

I simply just called it "Walk In The Park" because I couldn't think of anything else to call it, besides if anyone actually likes it they can call it whatever they like.

https://soundcloud.com/russell-middl...lk-in-the-park

If truth be known, the song I wanted to record fresh today was a guitar ballad I wrote years ago in the 80's during a period I call my "dark period".
    but because I had tuning issues I just ended up writing A Walk In The Park instead.

However, I am going to place a couple more rough recordings of my material here because few people have actually heard these songs and it seems such a shame that they will never be listened to unless of course I upload them here.

The vocals are not sang by myself, although the lyrics and instruments are so I have total free licence over the material if anyone wants to add or remove anything and actually put the songs to use?

https://soundcloud.com/russell-middleton/who-knows

This next ballad was recorded and written literally right after " Who Knows" song in the mid 80's but this time I rip a wee solo towards the end of the song.
    Please note, although the title is the same as Michael Jacksons "Your Not Alone" from 2009 they are not connected in anyway, besides my song was written in 2005.

https://soundcloud.com/russell-middleton/your-not-alone

I hope you enjoy my small contribution folks.
    I would have really preferred to record fresh but it is so time consuming trying to do so much in only a couple of hours.

As a rule, I mainly play heavy classic rock and I have quite a few original ditties of those if anyone wants me to upload them.

I also have written a few tribal type rythyms using sequencers and adding a heavy guitar rythym over the top but Im not sure if anyone here likes anything a bit harder edged?

If so.....just say the word.

Well, that's me done today, I'm pretty cream crackered now after 7 hours tweaking and strumming so if there is anything here you like and think we can use, then please leave some comments on how you would like it to sound and what lyrics you would like to use?

If not, then that's absolutely fine and thank you for taking a little time to listening to my songs anyway.

regards

Russ

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Highland1 For This Useful Post:

1inMany (24th February 2014), Calabash (25th February 2014), modwiz (25th February 2014), Moonlight (25th February 2014), ronin (28th February 2014), Seikou-Kishi (25th February 2014), Sooz (24th February 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    I think this project has got legs, BUT, I think it needs a skype conference. Who here knows best how to set one up and run it smoothly?

We only need audio hookup, visuals are irrelevant and distracting, I.m.O.. This is an audio project after all.

Also, I'm interested in skype ( or a technologically better alternative ) for another reason. I'm in the dreamy planning stage of developing a 'new format' kind of talk show that's based on pre recording and editing and putting out something that's more like BBC radio 4 than Paranormal Radio , including lots of cool musical and experimental interludes. The anticipated audience (probably on Youtube [can you suggest a more up and coming new site for audio publishing? - I hate the phony "image" over a radio program that's so common on youtube just to make it a youtube video ] ) are the mainstream intellectuals who like serious talk but need to be baby spoon fed a sugar'd version of the stuff we discuss. The objective is to get lots of those folks thinking in a space they have never done before.

Anyway, back to the TOT creative writing and building....................

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Useful Post:

1inMany (24th February 2014), Calabash (25th February 2014), Highland1 (24th February 2014), modwiz (25th February 2014), Moonlight (25th February 2014), Sooz (24th February 2014)

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,398 Times in 3,150 Posts
    Love them all Russ, very professional.
    I quite understand these are rough and raw starters. Very impressive though.
    You've put a lot of work in there - 7 hours, wow. Have a scotch.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (24th February 2014), Calabash (25th February 2014), Highland1 (24th February 2014), modwiz (25th February 2014), Moonlight (25th February 2014), norman (24th February 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,320 Times in 464 Posts
    Wow folks, I don't have a look for a few days and this thread is now seven pages long, can some kind person with more time than I, please set-out what is going down thus far, the last time I looked/listened the wizard had recorded some wizard chord patterns but not in standard tuning A = 440 Hz. How far has it evolved? JP
    Last edited by john parslow, 25th February 2014 at 08:46.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to john parslow For This Useful Post:

1inMany (24th February 2014), Calabash (25th February 2014), Highland1 (24th February 2014), modwiz (25th February 2014), Seikou-Kishi (25th February 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    1)......... Bloody lovely. Sounds a tad like a drummer's mix but that leaves plenty of room for lyricists and flashy vurtuoso improve' etc.... like it's sweetness.

2).... Noisy fkd up recording ( I'll guess it's copied off an old cassette tape) It proves you have a real power-ballad vocal gift to be lassoed when needed. In fact. so far, until others stand up and take the mic', you're definitely "Patsy Lee-Harvey"

3)... Also noisy cruddy ish. You need a sound engineer. I just so happen to be one ( up to a point ). Your quite 'serious' persona as a vocalist is impressive in this world of **** taking stunt celebrities, everywhere. I get a strong feeling you are a solid case of "tell me what it takes - and I'll do it". That's very reassuring and gives me the fuzzy feeling this outfit has already got a male vocalist and a guitarist.

The Wizzard's rawness is the counterpoint here. 'Moddy' has a 'standup' quality like a great comedian but not at all expecting laughs ( at least, not all the time ). ( )

I used to play guitar but I've become so rusty it's silly to think I could step up and 'spank the plank for "god"'.

I'm currently far more at home behind the gear, making everything sound as good as it possibly can, and ironing out the unwanted wrinkles in the vibe etc. I once produced a 'Psych' Folk album that flopped badly and put me in a factory working nights to pay my way out of the debt it dropped me into. But, now, a few decades later, copies of the vinyl are changing hands on ebay for £300 upwards quite regularly, I must have got something right at the time, even though it felt like failure. There must be a lesson in that somewhere

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Useful Post:

1inMany (24th February 2014), Calabash (25th February 2014), Highland1 (24th February 2014), modwiz (25th February 2014), Seikou-Kishi (25th February 2014), Sooz (25th February 2014)

Senior Member United States 1inMany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,248 Times in 378 Posts
    Wow Russ. That was awesome, that Walk in the Park. (I'm still listening to it with my headphones, so I can't comment on the others yet.)

I would love to sit in the grass and listen to you guys playing together, I really would. It would be fun to collaborate and play with some sounds, melodies, lyrics. Alas, I'm just an ole country girl, and sangin' days are long gone. But...I sure would love to watch all this unfold in person.

Just wanted to say you guys really are doing a great job putting some things together. I really hope this effort produces something.
    Do not fashion me a maiden who needs saving from the dragons. I am the Dragon. And I will eat you whole.

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 1inMany For This Useful Post:

Calabash (25th February 2014), Highland1 (25th February 2014), modwiz (25th February 2014), Moonlight (25th February 2014), Seikou-Kishi (25th February 2014), Sooz (25th February 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,406 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Wow Russ, What talent !!

I think that with all the, musicians, artisans, creativity and talent in this forum one could make an album, never mind one measly song...........Hey Ben I love Rap and Rock, Jazz, Blues and music created from the joy of one's soul.......................thus there sure is much soul here and I anticipate some Soul Music too

What I love the most is the coming together to share and care. I only wish I had a talented bone in my body to contribute but alas not one of my many blessings. However I sure can be recognized in the audience for my loud outbursts of joy and enthusiasm to be apart of such a great coming together to Love and Unity.

Thanks everyone for my heart filled with warmth and love this very day..............TOT is an awesome place to hang out

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sandy For This Useful Post:

1inMany (25th February 2014), Calabash (25th February 2014), Highland1 (25th February 2014), modwiz (25th February 2014), norman (25th February 2014), Seikou-Kishi (25th February 2014), Sooz (25th February 2014)