Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The TOT Music Creation Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Sooz View Post
    Hello Mr Parsnip,

Sounds kind of right to me. I imagined it being something you hold in your hand and wizz around in a circle, if that makes any sense.
    That is called a bullroarer.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (22nd February 2014), Calabash (23rd February 2014), Highland1 (22nd February 2014), Moonlight (23rd February 2014), Sooz (23rd February 2014)

Thanks
    Might put up another piece of music when I get it recorded. It would be very different from the first piece.

I have been using my new amp for the recordings. I really like it.

Let us not forget that Black Panther is a guitar player and singer too.
    Last edited by modwiz, 22nd February 2014 at 23:07.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (22nd February 2014), BabaRa (23rd February 2014), Calabash (23rd February 2014), Highland1 (23rd February 2014), Moonlight (23rd February 2014), Sooz (23rd February 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,564 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Highland1 View Post
    What really inspires many of us here Seikou is your voice.
    Your no nonsense razor sharp intellectual wit is second to none.
    Your recent thread relating to childhood round the "tree"" was for me more inspiring than anything I have read for a long time because you have the ability to capture moments and make us all feel like we are all there right with you bro.
    If you could recreate that story in a lyrical context, I for one am right on it and would love to compliment that story with a musical backdrop that brings that story back to life so others can enjoy it too as we all have.
    The eccentric songs you have brought to our attention so far aint got a patch on what you can bring to the table, lyrically speaking anyway.
    In my experience as a semi pro musician and song writer the best songs have a great story that people can relate to.
    Using musical dynamics and tempo can greatly enhance that story.
    For example many great songs start in a ballad format and as the climax of the lyrics hit home the power chords kick in propped up with dynamic percussive interludes bringing euphoric passion to those who listen and feel what is within that song.
    I'm sure I'm not alone here by suggesting that Tots very own wordsmith should perhaps try writing some lyrics whether it needs a musical accompliment or not.
    Why not give it a try?

Russ
    Oh god Russ my cheeks are on fire. I'm not normally prone to blushing but wow I could cook an egg on my cheeks right now lol. I'm probably as close to speechless as I could get XD. I don't think I'd make a good lyricist though, but I can give it a try. I agree with you that some of the most enjoyable songs tell stories. From the Seekers' The Carnival is Over to Cradle of Filth's Her Ghost in the Fog. I think when they tell stories, they're more engaging because it's not just a string of nice words or ideas

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Seikou-Kishi For This Useful Post:

1inMany (23rd February 2014), BabaRa (23rd February 2014), Calabash (23rd February 2014), Highland1 (23rd February 2014), modwiz (23rd February 2014), Moonlight (23rd February 2014), Sooz (23rd February 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,049 Times in 1,574 Posts
    What really inspires many of us here Seikou is your voice.
    Your no nonsense razor sharp intellectual wit is second to none.
    Your recent thread relating to childhood round the "tree"" was for me more inspiring than anything I have read for a long time because you have the ability to capture moments and make us all feel like we are all there right with you bro.
    If you could recreate that story in a lyrical context, I for one am right on it and would love to compliment that story with a musical backdrop that brings that story back to life so others can enjoy it too as we all have.
    The eccentric songs you have brought to our attention so far aint got a patch on what you can bring to the table, lyrically speaking anyway.
    In my experience as a semi pro musician and song writer the best songs have a great story that people can relate to.
    Using musical dynamics and tempo can greatly enhance that story.
    For example many great songs start in a ballad format and as the climax of the lyrics hit home the power chords kick in propped up with dynamic percussive interludes bringing euphoric passion to those who listen and feel what is within that song.
    I'm sure I'm not alone here by suggesting that Tots very own wordsmith should perhaps try writing some lyrics whether it needs a musical accompliment or not.
    Why not give it a try?

Russ

I have actually encouraged him to write a book. He even had a great story line. But, maybe the time wasn't right. Or the time involved wasn't right for him.
    Great idea Russ, songs wouldn't take the same time commitment.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BabaRa For This Useful Post:

1inMany (23rd February 2014), Calabash (23rd February 2014), Highland1 (23rd February 2014), modwiz (23rd February 2014), Moonlight (23rd February 2014), Seikou-Kishi (23rd February 2014), Sooz (23rd February 2014)

Thanks
    OK Totters. Got another one here. Quite different than the other. This one has some salsa in it. It is part of a song I recorded at home in the seventies. I reshaped it, added a part, and put it up.

I still have the original title on it for now, it is, Mundo Mi. My World. Although the word mundo can also speak to earthiness and foundation. Mundane is a word in this family. A more profound word when considered a bit. So 'My Foundation' is another translation that felt right for me.

Anyway, that is the history of the title. It is up for change if the song became used.

https://soundcloud.com/modwiz-1/mundo-mi
    Last edited by modwiz, 23rd February 2014 at 08:11.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (23rd February 2014), Calabash (23rd February 2014), Highland1 (23rd February 2014), Moonlight (23rd February 2014), ronin (23rd February 2014), Seikou-Kishi (23rd February 2014), Sooz (23rd February 2014)

Thanks
    If I get real ambitious, I will record a dancy Motowny thing I have that is a lot of fun.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (23rd February 2014), Calabash (23rd February 2014), Highland1 (23rd February 2014), Moonlight (23rd February 2014), Seikou-Kishi (23rd February 2014), Sooz (23rd February 2014)

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,398 Times in 3,150 Posts
    Second listen is even better.

I like the latin/salsa feel to it, very upbeat. I can imagine drums and/or percussion making it quite luscious.

Ah, got idea for percussion.....

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (23rd February 2014), Calabash (23rd February 2014), Highland1 (23rd February 2014), modwiz (23rd February 2014), Moonlight (23rd February 2014), Seikou-Kishi (23rd February 2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Sooz View Post
    Second listen is even better.

I like the latin/salsa feel to it, very upbeat. I can imagine drums and/or percussion making it quite luscious.

Ah, got idea for percussion.....
    I've played it with the salsa beat my keyboard has and it really creates a luscious poly-rhythmic interplay with the guitar.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (23rd February 2014), Calabash (23rd February 2014), Highland1 (23rd February 2014), Moonlight (23rd February 2014), Seikou-Kishi (23rd February 2014), Sooz (23rd February 2014)

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Forgive my ignorance, but I don't think this is drumming, but percussion?
    Sounds incredible anyway, there's a good bit around 2.45.
    Byron Bay band btw, the drummer (not the guy in this vid) was my son's drum teacher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJVoslo_xdM

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (23rd February 2014), Calabash (23rd February 2014), Highland1 (23rd February 2014), modwiz (23rd February 2014), Moonlight (23rd February 2014), ronin (23rd February 2014)

Thanks
    Thanks again Modz, so far you are leading the way with your ideas and I'm hoping others too come forward and build upon this? Of course having the tools to play and record is a big advantage and frustrating for those who dont and yet have an idea to put forward?
    So please folks, don't leave it all to Modz even if you only have a suggestion?
    Speaking of Black Panther, has anyone heard from him recently as I have not seen him post for a while?
    Also Ben our one truth rapper, where are ya bro?
    Of course having free time is a big factor in contributing to something like this so I'm still very hopeful we can collectively write something we can all get involved in.
    Sooz, I know you cant wait to get the didgeridoo out of the cupboard and start ripping it up! Lol
    I hope to find some time tomorrow to get some ideas down and see if we can turn this spark into a flame.

regards

Russ
    What is great Russ, is I bought the new amp with the intention of using it for simple recording, except with good 'tone' shaping from a tube amp. And within a day or two, I am using it for just that. Makes me enjoy my decision to get it even more.

I am surprised to see myself in the lead as I was simply trying to keep up with the urgency I perceived when the idea first erupted. I expect the contributors will be along. If I had had a mic I would have used Calabash's scooby doo words in a chant or chant/rap sort of fashion, in a playful rhythmic engagement of the more open part in the song where it is riding a grooove.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    If I get real ambitious, I will record a dancy Motowny thing I have that is a lot of fun.
    Oh, I'd like to hear THAT! Geeze we may end up with so many good things, it will be hard to know what to choose, lol...

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (23rd February 2014), Calabash (23rd February 2014), Highland1 (23rd February 2014), modwiz (23rd February 2014), Moonlight (23rd February 2014), Seikou-Kishi (23rd February 2014)

Thanks
    Well, here I go again. Get down with it.
    https://soundcloud.com/modwiz-1/get-down-with-it

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (23rd February 2014), Calabash (23rd February 2014), Highland1 (23rd February 2014), jimmer (23rd February 2014), Moonlight (23rd February 2014), Seikou-Kishi (23rd February 2014), Sooz (23rd February 2014)

Thanks
    I am having trouble posting and when I finally can.......it is a double post.

The members are fine, it's the software that needs moderating.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (23rd February 2014), Calabash (24th February 2014), Highland1 (23rd February 2014), Moonlight (23rd February 2014), Sooz (23rd February 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,470 Times in 981 Posts
    Thanks again Modz, so far you are leading the way with your ideas and I'm hoping others too come forward and build upon this? Of course having the tools to play and record is a big advantage and frustrating for those who dont and yet have an idea to put forward?
    So please folks, don't leave it all to Modz even if you only have a suggestion?
    Speaking of Black Panther, has anyone heard from him recently as I have not seen him post for a while?
    Also Ben our one truth rapper, where are ya bro?
    Of course having free time is a big factor in contributing to something like this so I'm still very hopeful we can collectively write something we can all get involved in.
    Sooz, I know you cant wait to get the didgeridoo out of the cupboard and start ripping it up! Lol
    I hope to find some time tomorrow to get some ideas down and see if we can turn this spark into a flame.

regards

Russ

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Highland1 For This Useful Post:

1inMany (23rd February 2014), Calabash (23rd February 2014), modwiz (23rd February 2014), Moonlight (23rd February 2014), Seikou-Kishi (23rd February 2014), Sooz (23rd February 2014)

Thanks
    If one looks, they will see that in my post #55 I have quoted Russ in his post #60. Should be impossible in most situations. I responded to a post Russ had already made before me and now it is 5 posts after me.

There's queer folk about, I tell you.

I guess the software did it?

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post: