Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Know Thyself - Trite Answer or Required Work?

Retired Member UK
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,328 Times in 1,589 Posts
    it is said that when a new invention comes along.
    there may be as many as 5 people across the globe working on that notion.
    it could be said the information is given to us when we are ready and whoever can tune into that info will be the founder.

cannot quite remember where i heard this sorry.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ronin For This Useful Post:

Altaira (10th February 2014), BabaRa (9th February 2014), Calz (10th February 2014), Cearna (10th February 2014), modwiz (9th February 2014), Moonlight (9th February 2014), Woody (10th February 2014)

Fred Steeves
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    The law of Thelema is "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will."
    Rad, wasn't at least part of that quote from an already pre-existing doctrine saying exactly the opposite, and that Crowley reversed it to "love under will"? Not entirely sure about that, but either way I think this point is key to anyone delving into this stuff in the very slightest. To me anyway, it should most definitely be: "Love is the law, will under love". If I'm not sadly mistaken here, to reverse that is an open invitation to ultimate tyranny.

Thoughts on that?

Fred

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Altaira (10th February 2014), BabaRa (9th February 2014), Calabash (9th February 2014), Calz (10th February 2014), Cearna (10th February 2014), modwiz (9th February 2014), Moonlight (9th February 2014), ronin (9th February 2014), Woody (10th February 2014)

Retired Member Haiti
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,813 Times in 895 Posts
    Yes, I heard something similar ronin, to the effect that we were all like bicycle spokes, joined at the hub (to the universal subconscious) and we all tapped into ideas that were floating around at random and never actually had one of our own. Maybe for eureka moments, but usually we arrive at ideas from a series of deductionss. But then I also heard that nothing is random either and this is where I start losing the plot. Perhaps this is what modwiz means when he says "know thyself", meaning know thyself and therefore know everything else . . . .?

I'm reading the "Hidden Hand" stuff - back soon . . . .
    Last edited by Calabash, 9th February 2014 at 21:57.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Calabash For This Useful Post:

Altaira (10th February 2014), BabaRa (9th February 2014), Calz (10th February 2014), Cearna (10th February 2014), modwiz (9th February 2014), Moonlight (9th February 2014), ronin (9th February 2014), Woody (10th February 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    Rad, wasn't at least part of that quote from an already pre-existing doctrine saying exactly the opposite, and that Crowley reversed it to "love under will"? Not entirely sure about that, but either way I think this point is key to anyone delving into this stuff in the very slightest. To me anyway, it should most definitely be: "Love is the law, will under love". If I'm not sadly mistaken here, to reverse that is an open invitation to ultimate tyranny.

Thoughts on that?

Fred
    I plan no depth to Crowley's work. It is not my path.

Agape is a state of Being and is effectively neutral. It is Will that moves things along the energetic wave that Agape provides.

However, Will without Agape leads to the willful tyranny you correctly see in regard to Will operating in isolation. The energies represented by the chakras are a whole system and use of all of them, as situations require, is proper function.

As long as one has a body, a well functioning root chakra is crucial. It is our energetic foundation.

I agree that Will is not above Love in any way that is helpful with current understanding.

My thoughts only. Not a form of answer.

It is still my day off and the white tea with melon is delicious and fragrant.
    Last edited by modwiz, 9th February 2014 at 22:35.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Altaira (10th February 2014), BabaRa (9th February 2014), Calabash (10th February 2014), Calz (10th February 2014), Cearna (10th February 2014), Moonlight (9th February 2014), Woody (10th February 2014)

Retired Member UK
    Thanks
    the words know thyself i took literally.
    i started to peel away who i thought i was.

first was my name,cast it aside as it was a given name.
    then my belongings and what the world said i was.

what i came up with is mind.

but even then there may be more to it than just mind.

true Calabash it does get confusing

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ronin For This Useful Post:

777 (10th February 2014), Altaira (10th February 2014), BabaRa (9th February 2014), Calabash (10th February 2014), Calz (10th February 2014), Cearna (10th February 2014), modwiz (9th February 2014), Moonlight (9th February 2014), Woody (10th February 2014)

Thanks
    To know thyself provides one with what is known and what is not known. Both do well when they are dynamic and not dogmatic in 'nature'. Dynamic systems always operate close to 'real time' and respond to shifting of data. Dogmatic systems encode more deeply and may need a password to re-access.

Sometimes we forget the password.

If we have known and unknown well sorted, confusion will be kept to a minimum.

To be confused about what we know makes no sense. Neither does confusion about what we do not know.

Everybody. Give yourself a break and enjoy the process.
    Last edited by modwiz, 9th February 2014 at 22:34.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

12. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

777 (10th February 2014), Altaira (10th February 2014), BabaRa (9th February 2014), Calabash (10th February 2014), Calz (10th February 2014), Cearna (10th February 2014), Church (10th February 2014), Moonlight (9th February 2014), PurpleLama (11th February 2014), ronin (9th February 2014), Woody (10th February 2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Calabash View Post
    Yes, I heard something similar ronin, to the effect that we were all like bicycle spokes, joined at the hub (to the universal subconscious)
    This is very useful imagery.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Altaira (10th February 2014), BabaRa (10th February 2014), Calabash (10th February 2014), Calz (10th February 2014), Cearna (10th February 2014), Moonlight (9th February 2014), ronin (9th February 2014), Woody (10th February 2014)

Retired Member UK
    Thanks
    this is not the first time i have heard or been asked for a code or password?

so close but so far!

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ronin For This Useful Post:

Altaira (10th February 2014), BabaRa (10th February 2014), Calabash (10th February 2014), Calz (10th February 2014), Cearna (10th February 2014), modwiz (9th February 2014), Moonlight (9th February 2014), Woody (10th February 2014)

Fred Steeves
    Quote Originally posted by ronin View Post
    the words know thyself i took literally.
    i started to peel away who i thought i was.

first was my name,cast it aside as it was a given name.
    then my belongings and what the world said i was.

what i came up with is mind.

but even then there may be more to it than just mind.

true Calabash it does get confusing
    What I've discovered ronin, is that the very moment something like this, and *especially* something like this is labeled, it has also become necessarily limited to that label. And what's more, suppose that label is incorrect in the first place? Hey, it happens LOL...

To my (current) thinking, it's best in this case to leave the labeling and the figuring out behind, and simply notice what I notice as the experience continues to unfold. Allowance is key.

Cheers,

Fred

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Altaira (10th February 2014), Calabash (10th February 2014), Calz (10th February 2014), modwiz (10th February 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,049 Times in 1,574 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post

To my (current) thinking, it's best in this case to leave the labeling and the figuring out behind, and simply notice what I notice as the experience continues to unfold. Allowance is key.

Cheers,
    Fred

I agree, and perfectly said I might add.

It seems every label puts a thought/idea in a box which then confines it, keeps it from growing and expanding.

And, I'll repost this good advice from the wizard:
    modwiz
    To be confused about what we know makes no sense. Neither does confusion about what we do not know.

Everybody. Give yourself a break and enjoy the process.
    Last edited by BabaRa, 10th February 2014 at 17:59.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BabaRa For This Useful Post:

Altaira (10th February 2014), Calabash (10th February 2014), Calz (10th February 2014), modwiz (10th February 2014), PurpleLama (10th February 2014)

Retired Member Haiti
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,813 Times in 895 Posts
    Since last posting here, the idea that it’s all about frequencies keeps coming to the fore. The key is the brain’s ability to “tune in” to any particular frequency. The answers to anything and everything should be simple enough to be within everyone’s grasp and not exclusive to those with higher abilities and frequencies cover everything and connect everything too.

Continuing that train of thought, it’s amazing how much is frequency-based. For instance, the frequencies of music and how they affect our moods has been well documented on the forum – then there’s meditation, sleep, mind-altering drugs, etc. and could also explain why somebody has the ability to excel at maths, english or art. Is it just that those individuals are better tuned in to that particular frequency? Further along the band width would be abductions, mediums /channelling, lucid dreaming, etc. Just about everything can be linked to frequencies. Even having a cold could be likened to having a frequency low enough to catch it.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Calabash For This Useful Post:

modwiz (20th February 2014)