Page 370 of 402 FirstFirst ... 270320360367368369370371372373380 ... LastLast
Results 5,536 to 5,550 of 6018

Thread: Rhosgobel Tent At TOT

Thanks
    Thanked 80,975 Times in 20,256 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    The one one the left is my amp with what is called a TV front.

On the right is the one I built for a friend and it is a narrow panel.

The cabinets were built by Weber, the source of the amp kits as well. Custom colors and grill cloths are available and as one can see the results can be very different.

Attachment 2621

What's the speaker size in these babies? And I reckon they're alnicos?
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th January 2022), Dreamtimer (19th January 2022), Gio (18th January 2022), modwiz (18th January 2022), Wind (18th January 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    8" speakers and they are both alnico. The darker blue amp has the same speaker as the 1200.00 dollar model that Fender is currently making. It is a Weber 8" Signature S. I use their British voiced Blue Pup speaker. An 8" version of their iteration of the Celestion Blue Bell. I have their 12" version as well, with a hemp cone, Weber calls it the Blue Dog. The Blue Pup is a paper cone.

I like British voiced speakers with American 6V6/6L6 tubes, which I personally prefer over 'British' voiced EL84/34 tubes.

Weber makes all their speakers by hand and they are the only speakers I will use now. The best articulation I have ever heard from any speaker.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th January 2022), Aragorn (18th January 2022), Dreamtimer (19th January 2022), Gio (18th January 2022), Wind (18th January 2022)

Thanks
    A little more detail and eye candy for guests and Aragorn, who always appreciates more technical data.

Both 8" speakers have a 7 oz Alnico plug magnet, with the Blue Pup having a boosted magnet, and a 1" voice coil. Both are rated at 15 watts.

Two pics of Signature 8S cone and a rear view and then the same for the Blue Pup.

Name:  8-siga-rear.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  68.5 KBName:  8-sig-s-cone_1.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  63.3 KB

Name:  apup8-.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  268.1 KB
    The greater ribbing of the Blue Pup speakers makes for less break-up of the speaker cone. Because the Champ cannot produce a single note without some harmonic distortion added (what makes the Fender Champ so revered), regardless of the volume, added speaker break-up was not what I wanted.

I wanted to hear the tubes and the 5F1 circuit sing with their own voice.

Name:  8-pup-cone.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  173.0 KB
    Last edited by modwiz, 18th January 2022 at 04:32.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th January 2022), Aragorn (18th January 2022), Dreamtimer (19th January 2022), Gio (18th January 2022), Wind (18th January 2022)

Thanks
    The greater ribbing of the Blue Pup speakers makes for less break-up of the speaker cone. Because the Champ cannot produce a single note without some harmonic distortion added (what makes the Fender Champ so revered), regardless of the volume, added speaker break-up was not what I wanted.

I wanted to hear the tubes and the 5F1 circuit sing with their own voice.
    Well, I'm no expert, but what you're saying here corroborates my own understanding of things.

I personally always associate speaker distortion with a fuzz-like sound, and fuzz is great in its own time and place, but I generally prefer the speakers to sound as clean as possible, because adding distortion is always going to be easier than taking it away, and you want to be able to get a clean sound even at higher volumes.

Now, as I said elsewhere already, I have no real experience with 10" speakers, let alone 8", but I have so far always been happy with 12", and my current rig ─ Marshall ─ has four 12" speakers. It's a bit too loud for playing at home, and perhaps even for small venues ─ although I've used it for that ─ so perhaps a 2 x 12" would be preferable for most circumstances.

Earlier I had a solid-state Traynor 1 x 12" combo, but that was definitely not loud enough for rehearsals or gigging ─ or at least, not in the band I was in at the time. We started off as a progressive rock band, but in the end, it was almost all punk rock, and my stuff wasn't being played much anymore. But for a small venue ─ like the jam sessions that I partook in back in 2003 ─ I can definitely see a 2 x 12" working perfectly fine.

Of course, at the time, I was plugged straight into the mixer, without an amp of my own present. It didn't sound as good, though, but then again, I wasn't using speaker simulation at the time ─ I didn't even realize I needed it.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th January 2022), Dreamtimer (19th January 2022), Gio (18th January 2022), modwiz (18th January 2022), Wind (18th January 2022)

Thanks
    Might as well post my review of the 5F1, (Champ) amp. Taken from the Weber website and copied here. I am friendly with "CJ" who runs the operation and he treats me well. Did my best to write a review and give his company good 'props'. They are well deserved. Excellent customer service.

Wow! What a great amp and it has to be heard to comprehend why people rave about this amp or, the 5F1 circuit especially playing through a Weber 8″ speaker. I now have two builds finished. One for myself and another for a friend who had to have one when she heard mine. She plays an electric acoustic guitar, an older Stratacoustic, and loves the harmonic distortion it adds. She plays the amp with the volume at 3.

I used all stock parts provided by Weber except for fuse holder, pilot light and a 1/4 inch jack for the speaker output. My kit came with chinese tubes. They are screamers. I followed the layout and used the boards provided. Fired up the first time. I have a Blue Pup in mine and love it. It is the circuit making the magic and any good 8″ speaker from Weber will sound great in it. Blue Pup gives a nice shimmer to the essentailly flat tone of the circuit. The 25 uF bypass cap on the first cathode of the pre-amp tube, coupled with the 1.5K resistor sets that sweet tone. Bass E string at near amplitude parity with the with the high E. No mid scoops in this signal. Weber PT, WO22772, is great and has more than enough power at 100 mA. OT, WO22905 does a great job as well. My third build will use the WO22905M so I can use and 8 ohm speaker and have an extension speaker (8 ohm) output that would use the 4 ohm tap.

My second build did away with the boards and overall layout. I used terminal strips and did away with some wires. I also followed Rob Robinette’s advice with regard to grounding and the results were a very quiet idling. Power section, including 6V6 cathode biasing and the plate resistor ground to this bus. Pre-amp tube, volume and inputs jacks ground to another common bus. Only one input jack needs to be grounded since they are connected and one ground for them both is enough. Also, speaker jack(s) are grounded by the black wire and need no chassis ground.

Weber tests all of their components and the PT, OT and caps/resistors provided will give great sound. The tone is in the circuit design and as long as components perform properly the 5F1 goodness will emerge. Astron caps in the power section would have cost 8 times more. I cannot imagine an eight-fold increase in tone. That is for sure.

I will stick to what Weber offers. They work well.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th January 2022), Aragorn (18th January 2022), Dreamtimer (19th January 2022), Emil El Zapato (29th January 2022), Gio (18th January 2022)

Thanks
    Waiting to get more detailed pictures to post of the inside of my 5F1/Champ builds. Aragorn might find the two different approaches I used to the layout interesting. Should be able to do that this weekend.

I will beginning a new build soon on the next amp Fender made, the 5F2. I will be building their revised 5F2A version. It was called the Princeton. Only few differences in the circuit, but it has a larger chassis and will be less cramped doing the soldering work. I plan to post pictures of the components as they arrive and then show the development and building of it.

This is the layout of the two amps already built.

Name:  5f1_layout.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  139.2 KB

This is the next one.

Name:  5f2a_layout.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  149.0 KB

Y'all have a good weekend.
    Last edited by modwiz, 21st January 2022 at 22:55.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (21st January 2022), Aragorn (21st January 2022), Dreamtimer (28th January 2022), Gio (21st January 2022)

Thanks
    I got the pictures of the 5F1 wiring. My first build used the provided fiber boards with eyelets using the layout provided by Weber.

Name:  Rad 5F1.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  52.5 KB

For the second build I eschewed the boards and used terminal strips for a more efficient layout and less wire. Though it may not look that way. Eliminating the boards, which add about an inch and a half of height off of the chassis bottom left me more room to work as well as cut down on wires. A more condensed grounding method resulted in a far quieter amp.

Name:  Sara 5F1.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  63.2 KB

The next picture is just for fun and eye candy.

Name:  champs and Rad.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  62.8 KB
    Last edited by modwiz, 23rd January 2022 at 01:08.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th January 2022), Aragorn (23rd January 2022), Dreamtimer (28th January 2022), Gio (22nd January 2022), Lord Sidious (22nd January 2022), Wind (25th January 2022)

Thanks
    Given the material posted here lately, this relatively short video might be of interest to some. It is the first in a series by Youtube ampaholic and teacher Uncle Doug.

It opens with him showing a schematic of the amp I have been showing, the Fender 5F1, with one exception. It is an earlier version and the first stage pre-amp cathode biasing is without the 25 uF capacitor that Fender has stayed with and used ever since. Vox uses the same resistor/capacitor biasing on the first stage of its amps. It sets a strong and tonally balanced signal to be amplified.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th January 2022), Aragorn (25th January 2022), Dreamtimer (28th January 2022), Gio (24th January 2022)

Thanks
    A slight break in theme with a picture of my three Ibanez basses. The one on the end right is a fretless bass. The black one has piezo pickup to make it an electric bass too.

Name:  Rad basses.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  112.4 KB

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (25th January 2022), Dreamtimer (28th January 2022), Gio (25th January 2022), Lord Sidious (25th January 2022), Wind (25th January 2022)

Thanks
    A slight break in theme with a picture of my three Ibanez basses. The one on the end right is a fretless bass. The black one has piezo pickup to make it an electric bass too.
    We loves fretless bass, Preciousss!

Seriously, I do love them. I've never played them ─ although I did make a good attempt at imitating that sound on a violin once ─ but I absolutely love a good fretless bass sound, like what Pino Palladino did on Paul Young's early 1980s covers of several classics, such as the one in the video below.

I had never heard that sound before, and so I initially thought it was a synth. It was only much later that I discovered that it was a fretless bass guitar, and that's where I became a fan of Pino Palladino's playing ─ as a session cat, he would later also add his characteristic sound and playing style to the music of many other artists, among whom Tears For Fears and Don Henley.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (28th January 2022), Emil El Zapato (25th January 2022), modwiz (25th January 2022), Wind (25th January 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    We loves fretless bass, Preciousss!

Seriously, I do love them. I've never played them ─ although I did make a good attempt at imitating that sound on a violin once ─ but I absolutely love a good fretless bass sound, like what Pino Palladino did on Paul Young's early 1980s covers of several classics, such as the one in the video below.
    Fretless basses do have a growl when notes are slid into, boost the mids and the growl is very evident.

I have D'Addario steel core nylon wound strings on all of my basses. Livelier than flat wound strings but still give a classic bass tone like we hear in Motown and Wrecking Crew recordings. Very warm tone with plenty of high end when called upon. They do not ring like roundwound strings.
    Last edited by modwiz, 28th January 2022 at 17:41.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th January 2022), Dreamtimer (28th January 2022), Gio (25th January 2022), Wind (25th January 2022)

Thanks
    Continuing with 'How Tube Amplifiers Work" here is Uncle Doug again with Part 2.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=901iaPVVzY0

As much as all this is about tubes and stuff. The real treat for this wizard is learning the language of electricity as it relates to producing sweet sounds. Resistors and capacitors, and their values, allowing us to tell electricity what we want from it. Endlessly fascinating for me.

Then, enjoying the sonic sweetness.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th January 2022), Dreamtimer (29th January 2022), Gio (28th January 2022), PurpleLama (29th January 2022)

Thanks
    Having problems with ascension?

Name:  fat ass.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  64.7 KB

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (29th January 2022), Dreamtimer (29th January 2022), Emil El Zapato (28th January 2022), Fred Steeves (28th January 2022), Gio (28th January 2022), Lord Sidious (29th January 2022), PurpleLama (29th January 2022), Wind (28th January 2022)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (29th January 2022), Emil El Zapato (29th January 2022), Gio (30th January 2022), modwiz (29th January 2022), Wind (29th January 2022)

Thanks
    I came across this video and loved the color interplay between these two snazzy men. Also, when I look at them in the light of Dane Calloway's research, I could see traditional Native American style.

Listened to the music and it was good. No vocals with a Zappa-like flavor to it with odd signature timing used. I'm going to post it just so people can get a look at these handsome gents.

Listen to it if intrigued.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkeuPjLcJnY

And here is the latest from Dane Calloway. I post him now again figuring anyone interested can find him when viewing one. I enjoy when he gets worked up on a point. He always recomposes himself. But I get his passion for this information that he has paid to obtain and share. It is a narrative growing amonst his people and all people who want to know some truth about history of a notorious part of American history. The part where the Christians arrive from Europe.

Last edited by modwiz, 30th January 2022 at 21:50.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th January 2022), Dreamtimer (30th January 2022), Gio (30th January 2022), Wind (30th January 2022)