Thumbs Up

Will share this here ...

Linda Ronstadt The Sound of My Voice

Full Docu/Movie

Part 1 (start)
    Part 2 (14:16)
    Part 3 (29:41)
    Part 4 (37:55)

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice 2019 complete film interviewed musicians or others involved in Ronstadt's life and career. They include Linda Ronstadt, Peter Asher, Karla Bonoff, John Boylan, Jackson Browne, Patricia Casado of Lucy's El Adobe restaurant, Ry Cooder, Cameron Crowe, David Geffen, Emmylou Harris, Don Henley, Bobby Kimmel, Kevin Kline, Aaron Neville, Dolly Parton, Bonnie Raitt, Petie Ronstadt, Joe Smith, record executive for Elektra/Asylum, J. D. Souther, and Waddy Wachtel. The music documentary was originally broadcast on January 1, 2020.

In addition, The Muppets, Kate and Anna McGarrigle, Nelson Riddle, Johnny Cash, Glen Campbell, Don Lane, Glenn Frey, Johnny Carson, Rubén Blades, and Ringo Starr appear in archival footage. The CNN Films production ends with the performance of When Will I Be Loved at The Rock And Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony with Carrie Underwood, Bonnie Raitt, Sheryl Crow, Emmylou Harris, and Stevie Nicks (46:02).

Sep 15, 2020

48:21 minutes

Presenting an alternative to the alternative community.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (1st October 2020), Aragorn (22nd September 2020), Dreamtimer (24th September 2020), Elen (24th September 2020), modwiz (23rd September 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 37,060 Times in 7,319 Posts
    With autumn in the air ...
    And for those inclined...
    Guaranteeing you won't get wet ...

Sleep in the tent on a rainy day

8:00:13 minutes

May i suggest listening to the above top video
    "Mandolin Rain" by Bruce Hornsby
    simultaneously while listening to this
    raining audio pleasure on low volume ...

It's Magical ...
    Last edited by Gio, 23rd September 2020 at 04:27.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (1st October 2020), Aragorn (23rd September 2020), Dreamtimer (24th September 2020), Elen (24th September 2020), modwiz (23rd September 2020), Wind (23rd September 2020)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Will do. Could use some serenity. Thanks.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (1st October 2020), Aragorn (24th September 2020), Elen (25th September 2020), Gio (25th September 2020), modwiz (1st October 2020), Wind (24th September 2020)

Thanks

Thumbs Up

Continuing my squat here in the tent ...

Here's another of my LA YouTube fav's
    Hiking4Life with his latest as always great tour (s) ...

Jim Morrison: 21 Most Essential Los Angeles Locations

Oct 1, 2020

11:10 minutes

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (1st October 2020), Aragorn (1st October 2020), Dreamtimer (1st October 2020), Elen (2nd October 2020), modwiz (1st October 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,447 Times in 10,157 Posts
    I ponder coulda woulda shoulda be a way of learning new ways, even here on TOT regards thread love, so one may be happy with others of triggered feelings and emotions or/and pain n hurt may not use your toilet as such, maybe an empowering way can be created ? >

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Gio (7th October 2020), modwiz (2nd October 2020)

Thanks
    "Ah... some refreshing musical sanity in this broken world" ...

Chocolate Souffle

Oz Noy

w/Vinnie Colaiuta/John Patitucci/Brian Charette

7:33 minutes

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (7th October 2020), Aragorn (7th October 2020), Dreamtimer (7th October 2020), Elen (7th October 2020), modwiz (7th October 2020), Wind (11th October 2020)

Thanks

Wink

#When there's nothing else to drink ...

Sam Adams

A Real Bostonian
    Oct 10, 2020

2:10 minutes

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th October 2020), Dreamtimer (11th October 2020), Elen (11th October 2020), modwiz (13th October 2020), Wind (11th October 2020)

Thanks
    Now that's the kind of booga looga loo I can get behind!

Thanks for the jack-o-pumpkin laugh, Gio.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th October 2020), Elen (12th October 2020), Gio (13th October 2020), modwiz (13th October 2020), Wind (11th October 2020)

Thanks
    Looking back now towards the future ...

Five Crucial Lessons From
    Jac Holzman, Who Founded Elektra
    Records and Signed The Doors

The 89-year-old Jac Holzman — founder of Elektra Records, legend of the music industry, and tech pioneer — passes on his hard-won wisdom in a rare interview

By Tim Ingham

Jac Holzman, pictured at his home studio during Elektra's rise as an independent label

"They don’t make ’em like Jac Holzman anymore. Maybe they never did.

While music executives are keen to brand their firms “technology companies” these days, Holzman, 89, is already several laps ahead. After co-founding Elektra Records in his dorm room in 1950 then bringing the label into Kinney National (now Warner Music Group) in a $10 million deal in 1970 — and signing and developing acts including The Doors, Love, Judy Collins, Tim Buckley, and The Stooges on the way — Holzman began spearheading Warner’s experiments in the tech world.

He helped launch both the CD format and home video, and sat on the board of Atari, which revolutionized home entertainment in 1977 with the Atari 2600 game console. He also set up the pilot program that became MTV, and held executive roles at Pioneer Electronics and Panavision.

This month marks 70 years since Holzman started Elektra. As the veteran industry maven, who rarely gives interviews, gears up for a host of anniversary celebrations, I caught up with him about the best lessons he’s learned throughout his career.

1. If you can’t do what you love, don’t settle. Do something else to get there

The first album released on Elektra in 1950 was New Songs by the folk artist John Gruen. Holzman pressed up 500 copies of the LP, but sold less than a quarter of this number.

“It was a mess, and I was very discouraged,” Holzman says. “The repertoire wasn’t right, and I didn’t know how to connect it with people.”

By 1957, Elektra had racked up a debt of $90,000 (worth around $830,000 in today’s dollars). The label clawed its way out of that situation with its first major successes including a pair of albums from Theodore Bikel, but by the early 1960s, Holzman found himself getting tired of the folk scene, hankering after something new.

Determined not to sign an artist he wasn’t passionate about, but also determined to keep Elektra afloat, in 1964 Holzman launched the “Authentic Sound Effects” series. A 13-volume collection of albums, the LPs contained a plethora of made-for-broadcast sounds including Car Skid, Tractor, and Train Through Tunnel. The records were a huge hit with radio networks and generated nearly $1.5 million for Elektra all told.

“We needed to stay alive, but also not record what we didn’t believe in,” Holzman says. “We were waiting for the next thing, and I was scratching my head as to what to do in the meantime. One day, I came home from the office and there on the television there was a car crash. It hit me: Let’s do sound effects.”

After years of uncertainty, the “Authentic Sound Effects” albums rendered Elektra financially secure: “It meant I could do what I always wanted to do: be very, very particular about the artists I signed.”

2. Be patient with people, but don’t bother with those who want you dead

A burgeoning singer-songwriter scene erupted in the 1960s, leading to Elektra signing the likes of Judy Collins, Tom Rush, Tim Buckley, Phil Ochs and, in 1970, Carly Simon. “I would say to artists, I’m not signing you to do one record and throw you away,” recalls Holzman. “We’ll do up to three albums, and see where we are… I wanted my artists to feel comfortable. I wanted them to tell me if they disagreed with me about something.”

There are, though, limits. Holzman says Delaney Bramlett of duo Delaney & Bonnie once legitimately threatened to kill him when Bramlett’s father couldn’t locate the singer-songwriter’s new album in a retail store near his Texas home.

The first album released on Elektra in 1950 was New Songs by the folk artist John Gruen. Holzman pressed up 500 copies of the LP, but sold less than a quarter of this number.

“I said, you don’t have to bother,” recalls Holzman. “I’m releasing you as of now.” He adds: “That’s how you handle that situation. [Bramlett] made a wonderful album. But you just don’t want those people on the label because they will ruin it for everybody. We wanted to have nothing but a friendly atmosphere.”

Many of Holzman’s artists evidently appreciated that atmosphere. Judy Collins, the Grammy-winning singer/songwriter who helped discover Leonard Cohen, says of Holzman today: “Jac supported artists in a way that would give them comfort and affirmation, and over time Elektra would become a haven to dozens of gifted and talented people.”

3. Forget the mid-life crisis. Aim for mid-life retirement instead

When Holzman merged Elektra into Warner in 1970, personally banking around half of the $10 million deal (before tax), he had escape on his mind.

“When I was 19 years old, I saw a movie called Holiday with Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn,” he says. “It was the story of a guy who came from the other side of the tracks, but got lucky in a financial transaction, and decided [he] would take a vacation in midlife. That stuck with me as a good idea: to have your retirement in your late 30s, early 40s, when you can still move around, and do what you want to do.”

He adds: “I had found Hawaii and decided I wanted to live there. But I needed to get a home for Elektra, and the natural place was with Warner and Atlantic.”

Holzman did indeed retire to his self-built house in Hawaii in 1973 — but then returned to Warner as Chief Technologist under boss Steve Ross. “I did very little music listening while I was in Hawaii,” he admits. “I don’t know why that was. I spent more time reading.”

He returned to Warner refreshed. Today, Holzman remains a trusted advisor to Warner’s senior leadership, just as he has in each of the past four decades.

4. The minute you leave, you relinquish control

“Now you’re going to hear the sound of a man crying,” Holzman says, when I raise a personal point of confusion — why Elektra signed Queen for the US in the early 1970s but doesn’t seem to represent the band’s master rights anymore.

Holzman says Bob Krasnow, who ran Elektra under Warner very successfully from 1983 to 1994, was never a fan of Queen, and felt them to be unworthy of Holzman’s storied label. In the mid-Eighties, Krasnow agreed a deal with the band’s manager, John Reid, to sell Queen back their Elektra rights. The way Holzman tells it, the band paid Elektra $1 million, but Reid had already quietly lined up a $10 million deal for the catalog with Hollywood Records — immediately profiting to the tune of $9 million.

Today, in the wake of the Bohemian Rhapsody movie, Queen are by far the biggest artist from the 1970s and 1980s on global streaming services. According to the IFPI, Queen were the world’s fifth biggest artist in terms of global recorded music revenues last year.

Krasnow “thought Elektra was just great,” says Holzman, “and he was very good at Elektra — he picked good artists.” But the Queen kerfuffle was such a mistake that “I could never talk to him again,” Holzman says.

Krasnow died in 2016, dubbed the “revitalizer of Elektra Records” by the New York Times.

5. You are what you fake

Above all else, is there one thing — one golden commandment — that Holzman would give himself if he shot back 70 years and spoke to the young man setting up Elektra in his dorm?

“Be sure of yourself,” Holzman says. “And, even when you’re not, pretend you’re right and move forward.”"

Source page

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (13th October 2020), Dreamtimer (13th October 2020), Elen (13th October 2020), modwiz (13th October 2020), Wind (14th October 2020)

Thanks
    So glad you're not afraid to look back, Gio.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th October 2020), Aragorn (13th October 2020), Elen (14th October 2020), Gio (14th October 2020), Wind (14th October 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,447 Times in 10,157 Posts
    Outa the way you tent blockers, turn your radio on , channellll Harmonic Future , nice vibe indeed, hear any law changes come news time ? , like end of oct leaves 90 days to 31stjan2021 , y law wise 9o important, ask a judge lol, in the brig ya all , land ahoy.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th October 2020), Gio (20th October 2020), modwiz (22nd October 2020)

Thanks
    From a consummate studio/live musician ...
    During these hard and unknowing times ...

I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry

Will Lee

“I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry” cover. I admit it gets a little lonely sometimes these days.....

I did this as a humble tribute to my friend and idol, BJ Thomas. My first “big time” gig was with BJ. He was on the radio all the time with hits like “Hooked On A Feeling “, “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head” and this one, by Hank Williams.

3:16 minutes

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (20th October 2020), Aragorn (20th October 2020), Dreamtimer (20th October 2020), Elen (20th October 2020), Fred Steeves (20th October 2020), modwiz (22nd October 2020), Wind (20th October 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,990 Times in 2,602 Posts
    Thanks Gio, that brought back some memories, especially with BJ Thomas being his idol. Another lifetime ago back when I was in my 20's and hitting the bar scene on a regular basis, "Raindrops" was one of the songs I could do very well on Karaoke night.

Interesting that the older we get, we can look back more and more on the different people we've been over the years. For better or for worse.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (20th October 2020), Aragorn (21st October 2020), Dreamtimer (20th October 2020), Elen (21st October 2020), Gio (20th October 2020), modwiz (22nd October 2020), Wind (20th October 2020)

Thanks
    And are...

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (20th October 2020), Aragorn (21st October 2020), Elen (21st October 2020), Gio (20th October 2020), modwiz (22nd October 2020), Wind (21st October 2020)

Thanks

Thinking

And speaking of going ...

Why Ireland’s Pub Owners
    Have Long Moonlighted as
    Undertakers

It helps to have cold storage and room to hold a wake.

by Jessica Gingrich October 29, 2019

Jasper McCarthy outside of the pub established by his great-great-grandfather, Michael, in 1840.

"Jasper McCarthy, the fifth-generation owner of the pub that carries his family’s name, pulled his first pint at the age of 10 and buried his first body three years later. For nearly two centuries, the McCarthy family has been serving Irish spirits in Fethard, a quaint village in County Tipperary fortified by a 13th-century stone wall. A hearse is now parked in the old livery stable out back, but otherwise little has changed at McCarthy’s Pub, Restaurant, and Undertakers since it was founded in 1840 by Michael McCarthy, Jasper’s great-great-grandfather.

The worn wooden walls, textured by tobacco smoke and time, are adorned with faded photographs, decades-old newspaper clippings, and horse-racing memorabilia. Funeral ledgers, dust-covered and peeling with age, are stacked haphazardly on antique grocery shelves. A cast-iron stove fights the chill of the Irish winter and partitions called snugs, set with stained glass, frame the front section of the bar. Traditionally, these nooks were for women, who were not permitted, by policy and propriety, to drink in the main bar. The frosted glass on the front door reads “McCarthy’s Hotel and Pub,” though the former has long since closed.

McCarthy’s is not the only pub in Ireland that serves beer alongside burials, but it is one of the last. This seemingly unusual commercial pairing used to be quite common, but has steadily declined since funeral homes were introduced in the late 1960s. “It wasn’t uncommon for a publican to combine undertaking with their normal day-to-day business 50 or 60 years ago, but the number has declined over the years,” says Tom Coburn, a longtime casket supplier. “Throughout the Republic of Ireland there are maybe 100 publicans that also still do the undertaking.”

Five generations of McCarthys have been in the pub and undertaker business.

“In my home town of Newry, there were three public houses/undertakers within 50 yards,” writes Iain Harkness of East Lothian in a column in the Irish Daily Mail. “As children, we would play among the beer barrels and coffins out the back.”

In the 19th and 20th centuries, the dual role flourished in rural Ireland, where publicans often ran multiple businesses from the same premises to compensate for low foot traffic. “Back then the local publican was a general factotum. He just did everything, including the undertaking,” says Coburn. Country pubs doubled as groceries, butchers, hardware stores, carpenters, and of course, undertakers. “You could buy anything in a pub, from a needle to an anchor,” recalled Tommy O’Neill, a carriage driver from Dublin, in Dublin Pub Life and Lore: An Oral History. For example, Michael McCarthy was listed in a 1889 business directory as a baker, grocer, spirits dealer, draper, and post car and hearse driver.

Since the early 18th century, pubs have been deeply woven into the fabric of Irish political, social, and economic life. “At the time there were no community halls or neighborhood meeting places. So therefore, all social, recreational, political, and economic activities were concentrated in the pub,” says Eamonn Casey, a pub historian and author of The Dublin Pub Saunter. With so much of a community’s life centered in the pub, it was natural that they would also play a prominent role in death."

Fethard, Ireland, is home to both McCarthy’s Pub and medieval walls.

“The publican was the man who christened them, married them, and buried them, the local people,” said John O’Dwyer, a Dublin publican, in Dublin Pub Life and Lore.

In many ways, the combination of publican and undertaker was natural within the context of a traditional Irish wake. Up until the middle of the 20th century, wakes were raucous, multi-day affairs where alcohol flowed freely and traditional taboos were temporarily suspended. “It was very convenient for the family,” explains Coburn. “At a traditional Irish wake there would be a lot of drinking done to give the deceased a good send off and a bit of a party.”

Traditionally, locals looked to the publican to provide alcohol for the wake—and money for the funeral. “If there was a death in the family they always depended on one person [to] go to the publican for a loan of money for the funeral,” noted Mikey Boy, from the Liberties district in Dublin, in Dublin Pub Life and Lore, “And always after the burial there was a good session [at the pub].”

Welcome to McCarthy’s, which still has partitions, called snugs, that created a separate place for women to drink.

"Pubs always had a place in commemorating the dead, but the actual foray into undertaking can be traced back to the Great Famine in the late 1840s and early 1850s, in which an estimated one million people—one-eighth of the total population—died from disease and starvation. Mortuaries and medical practitioners struggled to keep pace with the endless flow of corpses. The bodies needed to be stored somewhere, lest they spread infection or be consumed by wild animals.

And this is where the centrality of the pub to community life returns. The Coroners Act of 1846 mandated that dead bodies be brought to the nearest public house. Publicans were required to store the corpses until an inquest was held, and those that refused were heavily fined. (Remarkably, the requirement was on the books until 1962, though it had stopped being enforced long before.) It was also a practical matter. In the days before refrigeration, beer cellars provided a cold storage space to delay decomposition. Eventually, even after the famine had passed, some pubs gained a reputation for their services and remained in the business. For example, the Templeogue Inn, which was located next to a dangerous road bend in Dublin, was nicknamed “The Morgue” because so many traffic accident victims were dropped on its doorstep.

During this time, some aspiring publicans even opened mortuaries first, since the establishments were allowed to serve alcohol. “Many pubs received licenses because they had facilities where a body could be held overnight,” says Casey. The Dropping Well Pub, located on the banks of the Dodder River in South Dublin, opened as a morgue in 1847. Shortly after, the proprietor, John, caught an infection from all the dead bodies on the premises. He died of complications in 1850."

McCarthy’s hearse and coffins in a shed behind the pub.

"Sensing an opportunity, some of the publicans tasked with storing dead bodies took the next logical step and developed side businesses as undertakers, which included making funeral arrangements with the cemetery, priest, and family. They installed autopsy tables and separate rooms in which to hold wakes. “Back in the late 1800s and early 1900s, families were often not in the position to host a wake,” explains Coburn. “The homes in Ireland would have been really small and sparse and not have the facilities to have a good wake.” The pub was like a home away from home. This was certainly the case at McCarthy’s. “Before we had a funeral home, bodies were waked in a side room off the pub,” says Jasper McCarthy.

As society changed, so, too, did the pub’s function within it. Increased mobility brought other stores within reach, so not everything had to be procured at the pub. Modern funeral homes and hospital mortuaries made the storage and viewing of corpses in pubs unnecessary. Irish pubs have always played a part in funerary rituals—and probably always will—but their role has expanded and contracted over time, constantly evolving to meet the needs of their communities. While the future of the publican-undertaker trade is uncertain, at least a few Irish bartenders can still properly prepare a stiff one."

Source page

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (23rd October 2020), Aragorn (21st October 2020), Dreamtimer (21st October 2020), Elen (21st October 2020), modwiz (22nd October 2020), Wind (21st October 2020)