Page 346 of 402 FirstFirst ... 246296336343344345346347348349356396 ... LastLast
Results 5,176 to 5,190 of 6018

Thread: Rhosgobel Tent At TOT

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Wonderful day here that began sunny and quite warm, and it felt delicious on my skin. Small thunderstorms began to travel through the area, but largly around it. Thundrsong was coming from different directions and it cooled off a bit. But, birds were singing, a single cricket chirping away from underneath a nearby bush and other insects in the branches making a sweet whirring sound to accompany the cricket and birds. They are small insects and not the large and loud cicadas.

So much beauty and wonder.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (25th May 2020), Aianawa (25th May 2020), Aragorn (24th May 2020), Catsquotl (25th May 2020), Dreamtimer (25th May 2020), Elen (25th May 2020), Gio (25th May 2020), Wind (24th May 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    Wonderful day here that began sunny and quite warm, and it felt delicious on my skin. Small thunderstorms began to travel through the area, but largly around it. Thundrsong was coming from different directions and it cooled off a bit. But, birds were singing, a single cricket chirping away from underneath a nearby bush and other insects in the branches making a sweet whirring sound to accompany the cricket and birds. They are small insects and not the large and loud cicadas.

So much beauty and wonder.
    Spring is my favorite season too. You know that the days are still getting warmer and longer, and the sun is coming closer. Always better than the day before, but not as good yet as it'll be the next day. It is growth, it is life blooming. It is color returning.

By contrast, the summer solstice always makes me sad. Not right away yet, because you don't start noticing the shift until about the second half of July ─ at least, here in the northern hemisphere ─ but then the days are getting shorter, the sun is staying closer to the horizon again, clouds of thin mist start floating above the ground, and it's all telling you that liveliness is moving farther away from you, and that soon, the lush green will start making way for barren brown, bald branches and chilly rains on mud-covered streets. Nature retreats, and all that remains just as active as before ─ and becomes more visible and tangible as color vanishes with every passing day ─ is the cold of Man's industry.

"We've got to install microwave ovens, custom kitchen deliveries. We gotta move these refrigerators, gotta move these color teevees..."

By the way, Belgium has only two seasons: Winter and Roadworks.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

1inMany (25th May 2020), Aianawa (25th May 2020), Catsquotl (25th May 2020), Dreamtimer (25th May 2020), Elen (25th May 2020), Gio (25th May 2020), modwiz (24th May 2020), Wind (24th May 2020)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Looks like there may be cause to resurrect the 'Sooz effect' emoji.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

1inMany (25th May 2020), Aianawa (25th May 2020), Aragorn (25th May 2020), Catsquotl (25th May 2020), Elen (25th May 2020), Gio (25th May 2020), modwiz (25th May 2020), Wind (25th May 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Spring is my favorite season too. You know that the days are still getting warmer and longer, and the sun is coming closer. Always better than the day before, but not as good yet as it'll be the next day. It is growth, it is life blooming. It is color returning.

By contrast, the summer solstice always makes me sad. Not right away yet, because you don't start noticing the shift until about the second half of July ─ at least, here in the northern hemisphere ─ but then the days are getting shorter, the sun is staying closer to the horizon again, clouds of thin mist start floating above the ground, and it's all telling you that liveliness is moving farther away from you, and that soon, the lush green will start making way for barren brown, bald branches and chilly rains on mud-covered streets. Nature retreats, and all that remains just as active as before ─ and becomes more visible and tangible as color vanishes with every passing day ─ is the cold of Man's industry.

"We've got to install microwave ovens, custom kitchen deliveries. We gotta move these refrigerators, gotta move these color teevees..."

By the way, Belgium has only two seasons: Winter and Roadworks.
    Your comment had a special meaning for me because it was just yesterday that I remembered that there is a month remaining of lengthening days. So, I am going to make the effort to enjoy this waxing period. Also, the upside to earlier nights as the Summer deepens and gets warmer, is the delighful cool that always sets in here at a 2500 foot (762 meters) elevation after the Sun goes down. No matter how hot a day it was.
    Last edited by modwiz, 25th May 2020 at 05:41.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (25th May 2020), Aianawa (25th May 2020), Aragorn (25th May 2020), Dreamtimer (25th May 2020), Elen (25th May 2020), Gio (25th May 2020), Wind (25th May 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Your comment had a special meaning for me because it was just yesterday that I remembered that there is a month left of lengthening days. So, I am going to make the effort to enjoy this waxing period. Also, the upside to earlier nights as the Summer deepens and gets warmer, is the delighful cool that always sets in here at a 2500 foot (762 meters) elevation after the Sun goes down. No matter how hot a day it was.
    762 meters? Wow, that would be considered high altitude over here. The town I'm in has an elevation of only 15 meters ─ myself living at one of the highest points of the town. And while the distance from my home to the coast is only approximately 100 km ─ whereby I'd mainly be using two highways, at a maximum allowed highway speed of 120 km/h, which would get me to the coast in just over an hour ─ that's already considered "a very long distance" over here.

I guess the idea that the coast is such a long distance away goes back to my youth, and the time when my parents themselves ─ now already long deceased ─ were still young. I remember my dad putting things into perspective when he described to me how he and my mom went on vacation to the coast before I was born.

They didn't own a car yet, but my dad had a light motorcycle ─ barely any more powerful than a moped. The husband of one of my mom's cousins owned a small car, and he took his wife, her sister, the sister's little girl, my mom and all of their luggage with him in the car, while the sister's husband and my dad would ride on their (very light) motorcycles. That poor car ─ it was a FIAT 850, a very small car with a rear-mounted 850 cc engine ─ was loaded so heavily that it was leaning on its suspension blocks. No spring rate left whatsoever. My mom was sitting with her knees up and her feet on the spare tire, so that they could put more luggage in the trunk, which was of course in the front of the car, given that the engine sat over the rear axle.

Because it was such a "huge journey", the car had been given a full service and inspection before they left ─ fresh oil and oil filter, fresh air filter, new spark plugs, contact breakers, washer fluid, a full tank of gas/petrol, and just about anything else that periodically needs to be replaced or refilled in a car.

And of course, in those days, the E-17 highway ─ which connects France with the Netherlands and moves farther up north from there ─ hadn't been completed yet, and there was also no direct connection with the E-40, the highway that connects the south-eastern part of the country with the city of Ostend ("Oostende" in Dutch, which translates as "East End") at the coast. So they had to take a lot of slow country roads, even with the car, which unloaded would have had a maximum speed of approximately 130 km/h (~85 mph). There was no speed limit on the highway yet in those days ─ most cars couldn't go any faster than 140 km/h anyway ─ but with an 850 cc engine, five people in the car and a trunk full of luggage, they probably only reached about 100 km/h max.

The two motorcycles had a much slower speed ─ about half that of the car, if it even was that fast ─ and they were not even allowed to use the highway because they were too slow. The minimum allowed highway speed is 70 km/h, and your motorcycle has to have at least 125 cc of displacement in order to be allowed on the highway, while theirs were only 50 cc. So they had to ride over small country roads and pass through all kinds of small villages, and it would take them several hours before they'd eventually reach the coast. And as it would then also turn out, my dad's companion made a nasty fall with his motorcycle on that trip, so it took them even longer to get there. And no cellphones for a quick call or text message either. Those who got there first had to keep their fingers crossed for several hours, hoping that the other ones would make the trip in once piece.

To those people, back in 1960, or whatever the year was, it was an incredible journey, and they were only going to be away from home for one or possibly two weeks. But they had been preparing for the trip for months already. And later on, after I was born ─ and then my brother four years later ─ and we had our own family car, we still considered it a long journey. Belgium is also a lot denser in traffic and in rural road infrastructure than the US, and I guess that's why we generally wouldn't consider hopping into our cars and drive to the coast on a whim, although more and more people are beginning to do just that nowadays.

But even then, it's still considered a long drive, due to the amount of traffic on the highways, most of which is international transport via tractor-trailer combos. And those must by law be electronically limited to 90 km/h (~55 mph), but 90 km/h as measured by the instruments in one truck is not 90 km/h as measured by the instruments in another truck. And so there's a discrepancy.

But, because those trucks are all using cruise control on the highways, instead of a truck slowing down for the one in front that's going 2 km/h slower, it'll overtake that one, which means they'll be driving side by side for maybe 5 km before the faster truck has overtaken the slower one. And on a six-lane highway ─ three lanes in either direction ─ this in turn means that two of the three lanes in either direction are almost always taken up by slow-moving trucks, with only the inner two lanes available anymore for regular cars. And that in turn is then further exacerbated by the arrogant assholes in the left lane who don't care about the speed limit and who make it more difficult for you to move into that lane. You really have to time your approach to the two trucks going 90 km/h side by side in front of you and being able to accelerate to 120 km/h in order to get into the leftmost lane without that asshole slamming into the back of your car while doing 160 km/h in his Porsche Cayenne or some other powerful SUV.

So while the above all seems like a digression, my point is that driving on the highway over any time close to or over an hour is a very fatiguing enterprise over here, and that Belgians are therefore not inclined to quickly jump into their cars for a quick trip over to the coast and back.

The last time I drove to the coast ─ to the same place as where we had always gone on vacation with the family, because that place has gone through some incisive changes, and I wanted to see what had become of it, and if possible, relive some old and fond memories one more time (albeit that I'll save that story for another day) ─ was on the 31st of July 2009. I did, um, slightly exceed the speed limit on a few occasions ─ not all that dramatically, mind you ─ and I made it over to my destination in exactly one hour. However, on the way back, there had been an accident ─ it wasn't even a serious one, judging by the damaged vehicle ─ on one of the two highways, near the point where you can shift from one highway onto the other one, and there was a massive traffic jam. So then it took me two and a half hours just to get back home, about an hour and a half of which was wasted standing still on the highway.

Just goes to show the difference in culture, geology, geography and the view on traveling by road between Western Europeans and North Americans.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

1inMany (25th May 2020), Aianawa (25th May 2020), Cearna (26th May 2020), Dreamtimer (25th May 2020), Elen (25th May 2020), Emil El Zapato (25th May 2020), Gio (25th May 2020), modwiz (25th May 2020), Wind (25th May 2020)

Thanks
    762 meters? Wow, that would be considered high altitude over here. The town I'm in has an elevation of only 15 meters ─ myself living at one of the highest points of the town. And while the distance from my home to the coast is only approximately 100 km ─ whereby I'd mainly be using two highways, at a maximum allowed highway speed of 120 km/h, which would get me to the coast in just over an hour ─ that's already considered "a very long distance" over here.

Just goes to show the difference in culture, geology, geography and the view on traveling by road between Western Europeans and North Americans.
    I used to love driving and am a competent and defensive one. Now, I would rather not drive and I no longer own a car, nor could I afford one. That said, much of that has to do with having found my home. I had come down to Floyd, Virginia to have a Global Mission of Peace Gathering for a weekend. I fell in love with the town and the people.

We are in SouthWest Virginia and, although in the South, we are part of Appalachia with a strong Scots/Irish and German settler presence. Yeah, they fought a bit with the natives but, being self sufficient and wanting to be left alone, they made a happy home here. Hell, they might fight amongst each other as well as the natives when disagreements broke out. Never for long, just to get it out of their systems and settle things. Very independent people, like the natives. There was respect for each other. Without them, George Washington would not have won the Revolutionary War. After the War he levied a whiskey (moonshine) tax on them. Good general but, a scumbag of a man.

Edgar Cayce had spoken of Earth changes in his book and Floyd was a 'safe area' owing to elevation, hundreds of miles from the East coast and the Appalachian mountains guarding the West flank.
    Certain intelligent and artistic hippies started moving to the area. Two things valued by Appalachian natives. Don't let the twang fool you, not a drawl here, these people are fecking smart, can build almost anything from scratch and love music, dancing and any form of alcoholic beverage. Many enjoy more plant based things, as well. So, the hippies got accepted and created a unique hybrid culture here. I like to call it hippies and hillbillies but, since a good many of them wear their hair long, it can be hard to tell them apart until they open their mouths. Though the Scots/Irish all tend to be six foot tall or better. At 6'3" inches myself I am not taller than most of them. Just slimmer, lol. And some dwarf me.. These are the descendants of men who toss short telephone poles for sport. The caber, in the Highland Games.

I have been embraced in this community by people who have been here for hundreds of years. And, that is no small thing. If they like and accept you, it all works. Very well.

So, the main reason I no longer want to drive much is because it takes me away from where I want to be most. With people I love and who return it.

Basically, there is no place like home. Even a new one. And though I am 3/4 Akkadian Quebecois, the other 1/4 is Scots/Welsh/Irish. Found out I like one side of my family more than the other. Genetic resonance really is a 'thing'.

I will post a map from an article about American 'nations' and showing my part of Virginia belongs to another 'nation'. I am in Appalachia.

https://www.unz.com/jman/american-nations-series/
    Last edited by modwiz, 25th May 2020 at 14:51.

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (25th May 2020), Aianawa (25th May 2020), Aragorn (25th May 2020), Cearna (26th May 2020), Chester (27th May 2020), Dreamtimer (25th May 2020), Elen (25th May 2020), Emil El Zapato (25th May 2020), Gio (25th May 2020), Lord Sidious (25th May 2020), Wind (25th May 2020)

Thanks
    People start winning when they stop whining.
    Last edited by modwiz, 25th May 2020 at 05:57.

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (25th May 2020), Aianawa (25th May 2020), Aragorn (25th May 2020), Cearna (26th May 2020), Chester (27th May 2020), Dreamtimer (25th May 2020), Elen (25th May 2020), Gio (25th May 2020), Lord Sidious (25th May 2020), Wind (25th May 2020)

Thanks
    It was such a pleasure to hear from Sooz and 1inMany. Jinjer with one post did more than many members who visit the forum every day. With two posts (or was it three?) Sooz downright stomped them.

No post-shaming intended. That would be politically incorrect.
    Last edited by modwiz, 25th May 2020 at 06:49.

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (25th May 2020), Aianawa (25th May 2020), Aragorn (25th May 2020), Cearna (26th May 2020), Chester (27th May 2020), Dreamtimer (25th May 2020), Elen (25th May 2020), Gio (25th May 2020), Lord Sidious (25th May 2020), Wind (25th May 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 2,615 Posts
    And while the distance from my home to the coast is only approximately 100 km ─ whereby I'd mainly be using two highways, at a maximum allowed highway speed of 120 km/h, which would get me to the coast in just over an hour ─ that's already considered "a very long distance" over here.
    I used to love driving and am a competent and defensive one. Now, I would rather not drive and I no longer own a car, nor could I afford one. That said, much of that has to do with having found my home. I had come down to Floyd, Virginia to have a Global Mission of Peace Gathering for a weekend. I fell in love with the town and the people.
    Sounds like the 3 hour 46 minutes driving time it would take me to get to Rad's tent door from here in East Tennessee, and see what kind of herbage that old hippie is smoking in there these days, would seldom be done in Belgium. Then again, that would take you into another country now wouldn't it Aragorn?

I'm sure the modern wizard knows of a good pub in town where I'd spring for a pint or two of his highest recommendation?

We are in SouthWest Virginia and, although in the South, we are part of Appalachia with a stong Scots/Irish and German settler presence.

I will post a map from an article about American 'nations' and showing most of Virginia belongs to another 'nation'. I am in Appalachia. Couldna get the picture to propagate.
    I wonder how Appalachia was ever considered stretching as far west as Eastern New Mexico? Seems to me that Nashville might even be stretching that a bit.

https://www.unz.com/jman/american-nations-series/
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (25th May 2020), Aragorn (25th May 2020), Cearna (26th May 2020), Chester (27th May 2020), Dreamtimer (25th May 2020), Elen (27th May 2020), Emil El Zapato (25th May 2020), modwiz (25th May 2020), Wind (25th May 2020)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,042 Times in 1,040 Posts
    Just wanted to say Hi there, long time no hear.

You know what seems stupid to me, is how the wheels of life turn around. When I lived in Lithgow, with Edu, I kept saying I wasn't allowed to turn on TV or you tube or watch, what I wanted to watch. Well now I virtually am left with TVv to enter train me all day, every day.. But!..... The Neilssen ratings group have set me up wth boxes and tonnes of cords so that I now represent 3,000women of my age in my region, for what is being watched on TV each day. No Edu to stop me either, it's my life now.

20. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cearna For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (25th May 2020), Aragorn (25th May 2020), Catsquotl (25th May 2020), Chester (27th May 2020), Dreamtimer (25th May 2020), Elen (27th May 2020), Emil El Zapato (25th May 2020), Gio (25th May 2020), modwiz (25th May 2020), Wind (25th May 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,564 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Hi Cearna,

So good to see you.

With Love
    Eelco
    Have a great day today

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (25th May 2020), Aragorn (25th May 2020), Cearna (26th May 2020), Chester (27th May 2020), Elen (27th May 2020), Emil El Zapato (25th May 2020), Gio (26th May 2020), modwiz (25th May 2020)

Thanks
    Anyone want to pop around? Beers, s'mores and marshmallows will be provided.

With Love
    Eelco
    Have a great day today

24. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Useful Post:

1inMany (25th May 2020), Aianawa (25th May 2020), Aragorn (25th May 2020), Cearna (26th May 2020), Chester (27th May 2020), Elen (27th May 2020), Emil El Zapato (25th May 2020), Gio (26th May 2020), Lord Sidious (25th May 2020), modwiz (25th May 2020), Wind (25th May 2020)

Senior Member United States 1inMany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,248 Times in 378 Posts
    Thanks, Modwiz. I was touched by your response. Thanks, Catsquotl. It has been a lifetime since I walked any forum roads. Maybe it is meant for our paths to converge for a time. Y'all know how to get ahold of me behind the scenes, as well...

Ah, Aragorn, I have missed reading you lol. I enjoy your eloquence.

I just started my summer break from school. This has been a bizarre school year, that's for sure. It takes more energy and work to walk the two worlds during the year. During off season, I choose to be my Hermit self and enjoy the hell out of the freedom and anonymity.

It is wonderful that you found your Home, Modwiz. I'm tickled for you! There is nothing like connecting, feeling the deep belonging. It is beyond words, really. The sensation that the soul's puzzle pieces have found each other. Good for you

Quite stormy here. Violent. Some of them are even natural weather systems. Lol. But even the natural systems are more volatile than seasons past. We have many visitors. The sky lights up at night and there is such life in the heavens.

As above, so below, I reckon.
    Do not fashion me a maiden who needs saving from the dragons. I am the Dragon. And I will eat you whole.

26. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 1inMany For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (25th May 2020), Aragorn (25th May 2020), Catsquotl (25th May 2020), Cearna (26th May 2020), Chester (27th May 2020), Elen (27th May 2020), Emil El Zapato (25th May 2020), Gio (26th May 2020), modwiz (25th May 2020), Wind (25th May 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,445 Times in 1,680 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by 1inMany View Post
    Thanks, Modwiz. I was touched by your response. Thanks, Catsquotl. It has been a lifetime since I walked any forum roads. Maybe it is meant for our paths to converge for a time. Y'all know how to get ahold of me behind the scenes, as well...

Ah, Aragorn, I have missed reading you lol. I enjoy your eloquence.

I just started my summer break from school. This has been a bizarre school year, that's for sure. It takes more energy and work to walk the two worlds during the year. During off season, I choose to be my Hermit self and enjoy the hell out of the freedom and anonymity.

It is wonderful that you found your Home, Modwiz. I'm tickled for you! There is nothing like connecting, feeling the deep belonging. It is beyond words, really. The sensation that the soul's puzzle pieces have found each other. Good for you

Quite stormy here. Violent. Some of them are even natural weather systems. Lol. But even the natural systems are more volatile than seasons past. We have many visitors. The sky lights up at night and there is such life in the heavens.

As above, so below, I reckon.
    Load of rubbish.............
    Ní siocháin go saoirse

28. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sidious For This Useful Post:

1inMany (25th May 2020), Aianawa (25th May 2020), Aragorn (25th May 2020), Catsquotl (25th May 2020), Cearna (26th May 2020), Chester (27th May 2020), Elen (27th May 2020), Emil El Zapato (25th May 2020), Gio (26th May 2020), modwiz (25th May 2020), Wind (25th May 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Lord Sidious View Post
    Load of rubbish.............
    You big softy you...

Your lordship.......
    Have a great day today

30. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Useful Post:

1inMany (25th May 2020), Aianawa (25th May 2020), Aragorn (25th May 2020), Cearna (26th May 2020), Chester (27th May 2020), Elen (27th May 2020), Emil El Zapato (25th May 2020), Gio (26th May 2020), modwiz (25th May 2020)