Page 3 of 402 FirstFirst 1234561353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Rhosgobel Tent At TOT

Eelco
    Quote Originally posted by Calabash View Post
    Thanks for this Eelco. There is much to know about the human brain. I have recently learned, for instance, that both sides of the brain work together all the time - they just interpret information in a different manner - and the line that joins them running down the middle is there mainly to stop one side from interfering with the other. I guess that is why some people who have half their brains removed (severe cases of epilepsy) are shown to be able to function as well as people who have the two sides intact.
    What got me interested in the book was a podcast i listened to recently with the author where he explained that every self-inclined action or though we do/have triggers connections all over the brain which subside when we go on to thoughts and action that are not as self-aware.
    He suggested that this was a sign that self/ego is a temporary mindstate that gets rebuild from moment to moment. And thus had a connection to the notion of no-self in buddhism.

Fascinating stuff.

With Love
    Eelco

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Eelco For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (20th January 2014), Calabash (20th January 2014), Frances (21st January 2014), Highland1 (4th February 2014), KosmicKat (21st January 2014), Mark (20th January 2014), modwiz (20th January 2014), mojo (20th January 2014), Spiral (20th January 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,049 Times in 1,574 Posts
    And interesting personal (not scientific) experiment with the brain.

Whether right or left handed - try using the opposite hand to do things for a portion of the day - then see what (if any) changes occur, either mentally or physically.

Don't over think what you're doing while using the opposite hand.

I'm completely right handed, but found when I used my left hand to paint pictures (and didn't try to control my hand) I came up with some interesting paintings.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to BabaRa For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th April 2018), Alice44 (25th May 2014), Calabash (20th January 2014), Frances (21st January 2014), Highland1 (4th February 2014), Mark (20th January 2014), modwiz (20th January 2014), mojo (20th January 2014), Nora (7th October 2014), Spiral (20th January 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,020 Times in 1,226 Posts
    The artist and subject is a fascinating dance. One can sense the Destiny behind the works that rise above obscurity.Thanks for asking.
    So the observer is obviously detached, from this perspective. In fact, creating art can be seen as a selfish and/or manipulative act...

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to donk For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th April 2018), BabaRa (20th January 2014), Calabash (20th January 2014), Frances (21st January 2014), Highland1 (4th February 2014), Mark (20th January 2014), modwiz (20th January 2014), Nora (7th October 2014), Spiral (20th January 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,882 Times in 3,290 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by donk View Post
    So the observer is obviously detached, from this perspective. In fact, creating art can be seen as a selfish and/or manipulative act...
    It can be, but it can also be many other things too, but in our times its has become more & more the norm for that to be the case due to the "gatekeeper" effect of the Media & galleries.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th April 2018), Calabash (20th January 2014), donk (20th January 2014), Frances (21st January 2014), Highland1 (4th February 2014), Mark (20th January 2014), modwiz (20th January 2014), Nora (7th October 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,049 Times in 1,574 Posts
    . . . . In fact, creating art can be seen as a selfish and/or manipulative act...
    An interesting perspective. . . if I understand you correctly, then almost everything could be interpreted as a selfish act. . . meditation, exercise, reading

My perspective is anytime someone is bettering themselves, or exploring their inner world to understand themselves and their outer world - they are helping the whole. If this becomes excessive (moderation in all things) than I suppose I would consider it selfish, or if it interferes with the well-being of others - than definitely selfish. However, I don't personally see how trying to understand oneself and how one's brain works by painting some pictures is selfish.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BabaRa For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th April 2018), Calabash (20th January 2014), Frances (21st January 2014), Highland1 (4th February 2014), Mark (20th January 2014), modwiz (20th January 2014), Nora (7th October 2014), sandy (20th January 2014), Spiral (20th January 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,020 Times in 1,226 Posts
    I just meant that particular perspective, "the dance of artist and subject". Removes the observer completely. Unless either has them in mind, during the creation, of course

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to donk For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th April 2018), BabaRa (20th January 2014), Calabash (20th January 2014), Frances (21st January 2014), Highland1 (4th February 2014), Mark (21st January 2014), modwiz (20th January 2014), sandy (20th January 2014)

Eelco
    This is the scene from Fear and Loathing in LA.
    Out of context as is the paragraph in the article..

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib_5nnWbb_4

with love
    Eelco

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eelco For This Useful Post:

Frances (21st January 2014), Highland1 (4th February 2014), Mark (21st January 2014), modwiz (20th January 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    I just meant that particular perspective, "the dance of artist and subject". Removes the observer completely. Unless either has them in mind, during the creation, of course
    The observer watches the dance.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th April 2018), Frances (21st January 2014), Highland1 (4th February 2014), Mark (21st January 2014)

Retired Member Haiti
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,813 Times in 895 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    I am uncertain as to what is being said in the first paragraph. I would like to understand.

As for your question. I have not taken any of this into consideration. This thread has no real focus, agenda or case to make. It is a place for me to ramble on, think out loud, share ideas and thoughts. I speak with no authority other than the authorship of my words. It is my hope that thoughtful and engaging conversation might ensue. It could be crickets too and then I would get the hint.

Your information is well received. I dropped the triune brain into thread for consideration if it might be helpful. I like it as a reasonable model for certain idea experiments. Without knowing the actual brain structure of the Reptoids the whole discussion is one of fantasy, of sorts. It also might contain food for thought in bridge of understanding.

Quite a bit of weight is on the shoulders of humanity from many sides. Inter-species communication and understanding would have ramifications beyond our planet. It would also leap-frog us over our current dysfunction with intra-species communication and understanding. However, I see the populations having made the intra-species connection with their leaders being the dysfunctional holdouts.

Populations are almost ready. We pride ourselves on our empathy and compassion. There is reason for it. There will be a quantum challenge for us to try and "get into the head" of these species. The whole purpose on getting into their heads would be to see with their eyes. That brings understanding.

I tell you. I believe the power to create cosmic ripples is ours.

Brevity will have me conclude here.

I think I get this, particularly as it’s running parallel with my own thoughts. I recently asked a forum member why the reptilians or mantids did not tune up the dna of their own kind, instead of Neanderthal man, so that snakes and lizards and insects ruled the planet. Ignoring the David Icke lizard stuff for one moment, I’m thinking now that I got it arse about face and that maybe – with our brains being formed as they are - we are really meant/equipped to be able to communicate with everything on the planet, (like the recent video of the South African woman who tuned in to the panther). Obviously we have become more aligned with our reptilian side that wishes to dominate everything at the expense of other living things. Are we on schedule or behind schedule? Who knows. Maybe it’s true that we are all exactly where we’re meant to be.

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Calabash For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th April 2018), BabaRa (21st January 2014), Frances (21st January 2014), Highland1 (4th February 2014), Mark (21st January 2014), modwiz (20th January 2014), Nora (7th October 2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Calabash View Post
    I think I get this, particularly as it’s running parallel with my own thoughts. I recently asked a forum member why the reptilians or mantids did not tune up the dna of their own kind, instead of Neanderthal man, so that snakes and lizards and insects ruled the planet. Ignoring the David Icke lizard stuff for one moment, I’m thinking now that I got it arse about face and that maybe – with our brains being formed as they are - we are really meant/equipped to be able to communicate with everything on the planet, (like the recent video of the South African woman who tuned in to the panther). Obviously we have become more aligned with our reptilian side that wishes to dominate everything at the expense of other living things. Are we on schedule or behind schedule? Who knows. Maybe it’s true that we are all exactly where we’re meant to be.
    Their interest in us would appear to be to get something they want from our DNA. Our DNA is the phenomenal world's part of our consciousness. It is our consciousness that is the part of this, IMO. The only way for them to really receive what they need from us is for us to awaken and be able to offer them the profound wisdom and compassion that is ours to offer. I see an awakened humanity as what is really the key to 'cleaning' this part of the universe up a bit.

More later.
    Last edited by modwiz, 20th January 2014 at 23:55.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

20. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th April 2018), BabaRa (21st January 2014), Frances (21st January 2014), Highland1 (4th February 2014), Mark (21st January 2014), Nora (7th October 2014), PurpleLama (22nd January 2014), Sooz (21st January 2014)

Eelco
    I see an awakened humanity as what is really the key to 'cleaning' this part of the universe up a bit.
    More later.
    Yes please.. more...
    I am especially interested in what you would view an awakened humanity.
    The process of awakening and what awakened really means is a topic I have been pondering for years.

One thing I am comming to realize is that it has nothing to do with the brain.
    In the sense that even though the functions of the brain helps us loosely catagorize what we experience.
    It does a bad job of discerning truth.(whatever that is)

The brain is highly opinionated and seems to fill in gaps in our experience with made up possibilities that are not what has actually happened, but with bits and pieces from earlier experiences so that it fools itself in seeing a complete picture.

I feel that is why meditation especially vipassana is so valuable to many to get to an interpretation of awakening/enlightenment.
    As it systematically teaches you to just see what is real in the realms of sense impressions, and the interpretations your mind makes about them.

WIth Love
    Eelco
    (i know i am consistently refering to buddhism or meditation, not because its Truth, but because at this time in life i seem to syudy that and am therefore biassed to paint my vieuws from that set of axioms. Its on my mind)

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Eelco For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (21st January 2014), Calabash (21st January 2014), Frances (21st January 2014), Highland1 (4th February 2014), Mark (21st January 2014), modwiz (21st January 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,534 Times in 500 Posts
    I have often thought of this planet being a trap of sorts, not for us though, but for he dark agenda. We are the bait.

Who would fall for a bait that has the ability to become the hunter, unless of course the bait does not realise this until it needs to when the green light is given?

God really is a sheep herd..

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th April 2018), BabaRa (21st January 2014), Calabash (21st January 2014), Frances (21st January 2014), Highland1 (4th February 2014), modwiz (21st January 2014), Nora (7th October 2014)

Retired Member Haiti
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,813 Times in 895 Posts
    Their interest in us would appear to be to get something they want from our DNA. Our DNA is the phenomenal world's part of our consciousness. It is our consciousness that is the part of this, IMO. The only way for them to really receive what they need from us is for us to awaken and be able to offer them the profound wisdom and compassion that is ours to offer. I see an awakened humanity as what is really the key to 'cleaning' this part of the universe up a bit.

More later.
    Yes, I see that if it could be made into a more equal relationship it would be beneficial for all, but awakening is not something that can be achieved by just desiring it unfortunately. In what way are they superior to us? They are hidden and they lack compassion seems to be the sum of it. Our wisdom and compassion is within our DNA but it does not seem to extend into their humanity. If our animals were having the same conversation about us, how would they get our attention?

Eelco's question about awakening and what it is (and the different ways of achieving it) is very relevant and I would like to learn more about this.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Calabash For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th April 2018), BabaRa (21st January 2014), Highland1 (4th February 2014), Mark (21st January 2014), modwiz (21st January 2014), Nora (7th October 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 473 Posts
    The observer watches the dance.
    Sir Alfred Munnings: "Does the subject matter?"

Just the sense of humor of a Norfolk lad

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KosmicKat For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th April 2018), BabaRa (21st January 2014), Highland1 (4th February 2014), Mark (21st January 2014), modwiz (21st January 2014), Nora (7th October 2014)

Thanks
    I am happy with the flow of this thread. The pace works for me. I know it may be too slow for some.

I see the brain as a receiving and processing center for consciousness, including the native 'body' intelligence which is separate from our higher intelligence. Unfortunately, the animal body is at the mercy of the brain's imaginations, which often bring it burdens unnecessary to health and survival. Its province.

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th April 2018), BabaRa (21st January 2014), Calabash (21st January 2014), Highland1 (4th February 2014), Mark (21st January 2014), Nora (7th October 2014)