Page 11 of 402 FirstFirst ... 8910111213142161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Rhosgobel Tent At TOT

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,237 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by lookbeyond View Post
    Sounds like a wonderful way to spend time,lb
    Indeed it is. It is also a great way to travel without leaving the comfort of your home.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Moonlight For This Useful Post:

Calz (29th January 2014), Cearna (27th January 2014), Frances (26th January 2014), modwiz (27th January 2014), Spiral (27th January 2014)

lookbeyond
    Quote Originally posted by Moonlight View Post
    Indeed it is. It is also a great way to travel without leaving the comfort of your home.
    Moonlight, do you drum inside or outside? If i were outside i would feel the neighbours might be peering at me and would not be able to relax, and yet outside is probably the best place to be,lb

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lookbeyond For This Useful Post:

Calz (29th January 2014), Frances (28th January 2014), modwiz (27th January 2014), Spiral (27th January 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,237 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by lookbeyond View Post
    Moonlight, do you drum inside or outside? If i were outside i would feel the neighbours might be peering at me and would not be able to relax, and yet outside is probably the best place to be,lb
    These days, it's in the -20's C around here, so definitely inside ... brrr. In the summertime, I do go outside and keep the tone down. One would not even know I am drumming unless they saw me. Of course, then, I do not let the songs come out, because those can get quite noisy. LOL

I'm playing with the idea of not going to work today... it's cold outside, we had a snow storm, and I just don't feel like it. urgh! But then I think of the people who are waiting on me. Ok, ok... I'm going!

Much Love.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Moonlight For This Useful Post:

Calz (29th January 2014), Frances (28th January 2014), modwiz (27th January 2014), PurpleLama (27th January 2014), Spiral (27th January 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,393 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Name:  IMAG0256.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  10.4 KB

Here is the first of three tower gardens I have built for households in my family for the recent holiday. I completed the third tower just this past weekend. Just add organic dirt, and seeds or seedlings.
    Sometimes God shines his magic light beam from outer space, and it works in mysterious ways.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PurpleLama For This Useful Post:

Calz (29th January 2014), Frances (27th January 2014), modwiz (27th January 2014), Moonlight (31st January 2014), Spiral (27th January 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by PurpleLama View Post
    Name:  IMAG0256.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  10.4 KB

Here is the first of three tower gardens I have built for households in my family for the recent holiday. I completed the third tower just this past weekend. Just add organic dirt, and seeds or seedlings.
    Is there a 'technology' associated with these towers?
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Calz (29th January 2014), Frances (27th January 2014), Moonlight (31st January 2014), PurpleLama (27th January 2014), Spiral (27th January 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,882 Times in 3,290 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    Is there a 'technology' associated with these towers?
    I will expand on this question, what grows best & at what height on the tower & on which side & do you orientate it with a face or a corner to the north.

The design is great, ingeniously simple, with a chopsaw & an electric screwdriver quick to make too, if you use those hose pipe snap connectors the watering could be built in, removing the need to hold one over the top or lift a heavy watering can.

I am also guessing from the look of the proportions that the height is a standard length of wood (say six feet ) & that the length of the "shelves" is a whole fraction of one of those lengths (like 3) so that wood use is optimal/ waste minimal ? If it is thats how I make stuff too

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Useful Post:

Calz (29th January 2014), Frances (28th January 2014), modwiz (27th January 2014), Moonlight (31st January 2014), PurpleLama (27th January 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,393 Times in 1,104 Posts
    okok let's see...

The vertical pieces and the crossbars are 2x6 and the shelves are 2x8, the shelves and cross pieces are 2 feet long, and the height is 6 feet. The whole project, three planters, had only a few small scraps left over, as it was all taken from 12 foot lengths. Each planter has space for 64 row feet. it is all made from untreated pine, I opted to make it from material that will ultimately rot, but will not add unwanted chemicals into the mix. I have advised them all to bury logs in the dirt as they fill the inner space. I know quite a bit about companion planting, and planting by the moon, so everyone will be checking with me on the what goes where, when.

It is the idea that some compostables will be able to go into the space at the top, as well, which will help hold in the moisture. The steps on the north and south corners will make watering and putting compostables into the top a bit easier, too.

As for "technology", I will likely be providing some crystals to one household, one household has their own already, and the other won't be interested. I figure it is a win just getting them into growing their own organic produce, and all three houses are all fired up for that. I also found some organic wood dye, so two of them will wind up all kinds of funky colors.
    Last edited by PurpleLama, 27th January 2014 at 21:28.
    Sometimes God shines his magic light beam from outer space, and it works in mysterious ways.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PurpleLama For This Useful Post:

Calz (29th January 2014), Frances (28th January 2014), Mark (30th January 2014), modwiz (27th January 2014), Moonlight (31st January 2014), Spiral (28th January 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,564 Times in 1,218 Posts
    I think when people talk about reptiles and *dramatic gasp* reptilians, things are greatly oversimplified. There are three main areas which in my mind are oversimplified. The first is the reptilian brain, the second is the existence of dinosaurs before mammalian dominance beginning 65 MYA, and the third is the idea that all reptile species are confined to a primitive existence.

For the first, the "reptilian" brain is no more a feature of reptiles than it is a feature of mammals. Why do we call it the reptillian brain when all mammals possess it too? Is it a way of externalising those bestial impulses? A way of disowning them as "not really ours"? We have, thanks to mammalian evolution, the ability to temper those bestial impulses with affection and, especially in humans, with the reason of the prefrontal cortex. We have the ability to rise above those bestial impulses and yet so often do not. Furthermore, for all we think of our bodies as vehicles of our lofty spirits, without the faculties of that reptilian brain, our bodies would never have progressed to the point at which they were fit for our spirits, but now they are we will denigrate those faculties that brought our bodies here, that prepared them for our spirits? It seems a little ungrateful.

For the second, I raise the idea that reptilians have some sort of superior claim to the earth because of the previous predominance of dinosaurs on earth. For all it is commonly assumed that dinosaurs were the first real forms of complex life on earth, there were animals before them. Before the first age of dinosaurs (the Triassic), there was the Permian era, an era in which the pelycosaurs ruled. Now for all they share the -saur suffix of the dinosaurs and many other ancient animals, they were closer to mammals than they were to reptilians, and so why don't mammals, as their descendants, have the superior claim? Of course, in those days there were no mammals or reptiles, but these animals, like dimetrodon and edaphosaurus, were more closely related to mammals than reptiles.

These animals were originally called "mammal-like reptiles" out of the assumption that, as mammals were obviously more evolved than reptiles, reptiles must have come first. It wasn't until anatomical research revealed that these were closer to mammals and so should probably be called "reptile-like mammals" that this name fell out of use. But of course, before these beings, there were other beings. Before these were those who still lived close to the primordial waters from which they had emerged: the insects and the amphibians. If a "first come, first serve" rule applies when it comes to apportioning ownership of the earth, neither mammals nor reptiles would win the day, as we're both Johnny come latelies. All hail the frogs, rulers of the earth! Lol

That behaviour referred to in the first point as behaviour of the reptilian brain is perhaps best thought of as Root chakra functioning, which is concerned with material provision and security. This brings me onto the third point. You know, there is an insidious form of racism which accuses any display of intelligence from a black person as an attempt to act or "pass off" as white. If any black person displaying intelligence is accused of trying to imitate white people, the idea that "true" black people aren't intelligent is surreptitiously reinforced. The same happens with reptiles. When we think of reptiles, we think of cannibalistic Komodo dragons or the living image of the prehistoric archosaurs, the crocodilians. While ever we limit the idea of what a reptilian is to primitive, bestial beings, we will only ever be surrounded by primitive, bestial reptiles. In fact, it is not that reptiles are not as capable of intelligence and affection as any mammal, just that we exclude intelligent and affectionate reptiles from the popular definition of reptile. There is a clade of reptiles that have displayed intelligence unparalleled outside our most immediate evolutionary relatives, including the ability not only to use tools, but to fashion purpose-built and highly specific tools. They have displayed an ability to form emotional relationships not just with their own kind, but also with other animals, including humans. They have also displayed culture in the form of ritual, specifically ritual related to the death of one of their kind.

This clade of reptile is the clade of the birds. By no scientific definition can reptiles be construed as excluding the birds. Ravens have been shown to create highly specific and novel tools for puzzles. They do so in a case-by-case basis demonstrating an adaptive intelligence, and not one which finds a single tool and uses it in so basic a way that it is instinctive. Parrots engaged in intelligence and language-processing experiments have been shown to develop highly personal and affectionate relationships with their scientists, even to the point of being able to express that affection verbally. Finally, magpies have been shown engaged in rudimentary funeral rites for deceased fellows, just like elephants. While we continue to deny the reptilian nature of the birds, reptiles will always be deprived of their greatest success. Do not forget the symbol of the united kingdom of Egypt. The cobra rises and becomes the hawk. To disbar the birds from the reptiles is to say "an intelligent, affectionate or highly evolved reptile" is a contradiction in terms. If such a nonsensical idea were applied to mammals, we would have to emancipate the human race, most cetaceans, elephants, pigs and simians from the races of mammals.

Bird brains do not show the same adaptations by which humans arose like the centaur from among the races of beasts, but they have found different paths to the same heights. There is nothing primitive in reptiles that isn't also present in mammals, and there is nothing advanced in mammals that isn't found in reptiles (specifically, birds). If the reign of the dinosaurs somehow has the power to grant ownership of the earth, the surely that goes to the birds which descend from them, rather than all other reptiles, which do not? It is popular to think of reptiles as the epitome of primitiveness, but how can we think that of those who gave us crows and parrots and eagles? Oh, don't like the birds, they're just self-hating reptiles acting mammalian.
    Last edited by Seikou-Kishi, 28th January 2014 at 03:20.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Seikou-Kishi For This Useful Post:

Calz (29th January 2014), Frances (28th January 2014), KosmicKat (28th January 2014), Mark (30th January 2014), Moonlight (31st January 2014), Sooz (28th January 2014)

Eelco
    Another wizard had taken its place at this wizzards dwelling.
    One of words, amongst other abilities.

Thank you so much for thinking this through and articulate what i could only sense and express in a rudimentary way.

With Love
    Eelco

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Eelco For This Useful Post:

Calz (29th January 2014), Frances (29th January 2014), Mark (30th January 2014), modwiz (28th January 2014), Moonlight (31st January 2014), Seikou-Kishi (28th January 2014), Sooz (28th January 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,070 Times in 1,329 Posts
    Purple zapping thingy shield raised such that I might survive the day ...

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Calz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (29th January 2014), Frances (29th January 2014), Mark (30th January 2014), modwiz (29th January 2014), Spiral (30th January 2014)

Thanks
    I once belonged to a pagan chat room. I was astounded by how many witches had no real grounding in the basics of passive magic and how one weaves webs of meaning by being able to see underlying energies in events and objects. So, rather than go into any deep explanation, I will lay out the very few basics and comment on the utility of this knowledge as it develops.

The affiliations given are the classical ones and end at Saturn.

METALS:
    Moon=Silver
    Sun=Gold
    Mercury=Mercury. Aluminum is a modern affiliation.
    Venus=Copper
    Mars=Iron
    Jupiter=Tin
    Saturn=Lead

As a musician, the use of certain metals reveals recipes to those in the know. Bronze being a very good example. Basic bronze is made of Copper and Tin. Venus and Jupiter. A warm organic Venus with outgoing/expansive and regal Jupiter. A very nice recipe for bells made to evoke a protective yet inviting nature.

Now it gets interesting.(At least to me it does) The basic recipe for bronze given above is, more often than not, a starting point. The addition of silver, popular in many sacred bells, brings in the power of the Moon. It speaks to deep parts of our selves. Gold can also be added. Lead in anything that emits waves, as in sound, is a very unsafe thing to do. Repeated exposure to these vibrations will cause neurological problems. This was demonstrated during the use if lead crystals that were used in an instrument called a harmonium. Players and frequent listeners developed various neuropathologies that abated when exposure to the music was stopped.

Iron adds the energy of Mars. A little can be like pepper (a Martian herb) and add vibrancy, too much can aggravate to aggressiveness.

Although proportions of different metals produce different tones and that is one part of the science, the other is adding metals for their desired energetic synergies. The amount of intent used is more important than the volume of the actual metal when energetic considerations part of the magic. Bells and gongs are able to clear and add their own frequencies when used.

I have a medium sized Tibetan bell that clearly has some Silver in it and at least a couple of flakes of Gold.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

22. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (29th January 2014), Calabash (29th January 2014), Calz (29th January 2014), Frances (29th January 2014), KosmicKat (30th January 2014), Mark (30th January 2014), Moonlight (31st January 2014), PurpleLama (30th January 2014), Seikou-Kishi (30th January 2014), Spiral (30th January 2014)

Fred Steeves
    Very interesting, something new to learn every day.

Iron adds the energy of Mars. A little can be like pepper (a Martian herb) and add vibrancy, too much can aggravate to aggressiveness.
    Sounds rather like cooking, season to taste. Oh, and easy on the pepper lol.

Although proportions of different metals produce different tones and that is one part of the science, the other is adding metals for their desired energetic synergies. The amount of intent used is more important than the volume of the actual metal when energetic considerations part of the magic.
    I'm not surprised intent is the prime ingredient, that makes sense. Am I to assume you mean intent from the actual maker of a bell, the one who rings it, or maybe even both?

Looks like we're getting into the realms of alchemy here, of which I have very little knowledge. So going back to the intent factor, here is a real life question as to practical application: There's an old, fairly decent sized iron bell set in a concrete knee wall in front of our house by the previous owner. That would make it an awfully peppery dish huh? Are you saying I can tone that down a bit through intent, toss in a few different "spices", thus creating a new, and personalized resonance?

Bells and gongs are able to clear and add their own frequencies when used.
    What do you mean by that?

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

1inMany (30th January 2014), Calabash (30th January 2014), Frances (30th January 2014), modwiz (30th January 2014), Moonlight (31st January 2014), Spiral (30th January 2014)

Eelco
    Hi modwiz,

So when one gets a feel for say a tibetan singing bowl,
    Would you be able to change its frequency or intent by putting different metal objects inside the bowl before ringing it?

Or maybe ornate it with feathers and such to add some animal medicine?
    I had never thought of that before...

With Love
    Eelco

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Eelco For This Useful Post:

1inMany (30th January 2014), Calabash (30th January 2014), Frances (30th January 2014), modwiz (30th January 2014), Moonlight (31st January 2014), Spiral (30th January 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 473 Posts
    This was demonstrated during the use if lead crystals that were used in an instrument called a harmonium. Players and frequent listeners developed various neuropathologies that abated when exposure to the music was stopped.
    The instrument invented by Ben Franklin? I would be interested to know more about the players and listeners who were affected (I've always found the sound of it to be cloyingly sweet, so try to avoid it).

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KosmicKat For This Useful Post:

1inMany (30th January 2014), Frances (30th January 2014), modwiz (30th January 2014), Moonlight (31st January 2014), Spiral (30th January 2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Eelco View Post
    Hi modwiz,

So when one gets a feel for say a tibetan singing bowl,
    Would you be able to change its frequency or intent by putting different metal objects inside the bowl before ringing it?

Or maybe ornate it with feathers and such to add some animal medicine?
    I had never thought of that before...

With Love
    Eelco
    No, to the first question. I do not wish to confuse magic/energy with make-believe.

The second question is one I had not considered but, it seems a valid way of synergizing energies. If I had a Tibetan bowl, making use of this technique you have suggested would be something I would employ.

Great idea.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (30th January 2014), Frances (30th January 2014), Moonlight (31st January 2014), Spiral (30th January 2014)