Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 6018

Thread: Rhosgobel Tent At TOT

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,684 Times in 1,382 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    That would be good but, it's not me.
    I appreciate that answer Mdwz.

Here is something I worked out a few years ago regarding Equal Temperament tuning, post Bach.

He decided that keyboards were so 'open' to multi key uses that there was no way that a modal single key tuning would suffice any longer.

So, he ripped all the beautiful harmonical majesty out of music to create THIS:

THE FACTOR 1.0594630943592
    (the semitone gap between 'equal temperament' musical notes)

1.0 ^ 0
    1.0594630943592 ^ 1 << * This is the basic factor
    1.12246204831 ^ 2
    1.189207115 ^ 3
    1.25992104989 ^ 4
    1.33483985417 ^ 5
    1.41421356237 ^ 6
    1.49830707688 ^ 7
    1.58740105197 ^ 8
    1.68179283051 ^ 9
    1.78179743628 ^10
    1.88774862536 ^11
    2.0 ^12

( inverse of factor = 0.943874312682 )

I regard this mathematical adulteration as a far more serious assault on harmonical beauty that any other factor. At least until I can figure out why concert pitch has been dragged up from somewhere around 432A . Even then, I may still regard it as the most serious adulteration.

edit:

Modal tuning does NOT stick to these numbers. With modal tuning, the 3rd, or whatever the favor, are exact fractions of the root. This is only possible if the tuning is restricted to one single key.
    Last edited by norman, 7th March 2014 at 20:53.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Useful Post:

1inMany (7th March 2014), BabaRa (7th March 2014), Calabash (9th March 2014), Calz (8th March 2014), eaglespirit (8th March 2014), Frances (8th March 2014), Highland1 (8th March 2014), modwiz (7th March 2014), Seikou-Kishi (8th March 2014)

Senior Member United States 1inMany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,248 Times in 378 Posts
    I want to watch that video. I hope I can get to it. But I do have just a quick question, modwiz. Does tuning a guitar to 432 change the pitch of the strings? Because I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Wouldn't you just be able to transpose music on a piano to change the pitch by that measure? Or would you need to tune the piano using the middle C, and change the pitch less than a half step, and then tune the piano by that "new" C?

Oh, also...I was talking to Em's band teacher about this, I provided her some information because she was curious and interested. And she told me that the center of the Universe vibrates at a B flat. Have you ever heard this?
    Do not fashion me a maiden who needs saving from the dragons. I am the Dragon. And I will eat you whole.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 1inMany For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (7th March 2014), Calabash (9th March 2014), Calz (8th March 2014), eaglespirit (8th March 2014), Frances (8th March 2014), Highland1 (8th March 2014), Moonlight (8th March 2014), Seikou-Kishi (8th March 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by 1inmany View Post
    I want to watch that video. I hope I can get to it. But I do have just a quick question, modwiz. Does tuning a guitar to 432 change the pitch of the strings? Because I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Wouldn't you just be able to transpose music on a piano to change the pitch by that measure? Or would you need to tune the piano using the middle C, and change the pitch less than a half step, and then tune the piano by that "new" C?

Oh, also...I was talking to Em's band teacher about this, I provided her some information because she was curious and interested. And she told me that the center of the Universe vibrates at a B flat. Have you ever heard this?
    Yes, a piano would have to be retuned to play in 432. The half step intervals on a piano are the notes next to each other. There is a scale of finer division of the frequencies between half steps. These divisions are called "cents''. There are 100 cents to a half step. An A# is 100 cents above 'A' and 'Ab' is 100 cents below 'A'.

So, 'A' 432 is 32 cents below 'A' 440 in frequency. Roughly 1/3 of a half step.

Not to leave 'C' out. It is not the focus but, its frequency changes with the adjustment.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (8th March 2014), BabaRa (8th March 2014), Calabash (9th March 2014), Calz (8th March 2014), eaglespirit (8th March 2014), Frances (8th March 2014), Highland1 (8th March 2014), Moonlight (8th March 2014), Seikou-Kishi (8th March 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,684 Times in 1,382 Posts
    I think these numbers are only relevant in relation to each other, not as absolutes.

In the 'geometry' video above, the relationships between the angles and frequency numbers make perfect sense, but the absolute values cannot be determined by the same understanding.

e.g.

'Cycles per second' ( = Hz )

Why a second?

Who decided what a second is, in time. It's arbitrary. It doesn't even relate to 'Earth time' because every four years we have a leap year to jump back to a time that fits the solar geomatrix better ( but not perfectly ).

If a second ( or whatever else is used to determine Hz ) was even a slightly different unit of time, the whole scale of the music based on those amazing angles and their relationships to each other would be shifted to different audible pitches.

I understand there is a special relationship between the audible pitch of the notes of the angles, I do not ( yet ) understand why we can be so certain what their absolute pitch values should be.

Even if the way we measure and record angles was done using a different unit from the degree that we use, the relationships between the angles would still be absolute, but the numbers would be different.

The 'perfect' chord produced by those angles is enough to convince me there is something very interesting going on that I want to learn as much about as possible. To really get my head right into it, I know I have to strip all the arbitrary measures away and see it in it's it's own terms.
    Last edited by norman, 8th March 2014 at 11:29.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Useful Post:

1inMany (8th March 2014), BabaRa (8th March 2014), Calz (8th March 2014), eaglespirit (8th March 2014), Frances (8th March 2014), Highland1 (8th March 2014), modwiz (8th March 2014), Moonlight (8th March 2014), Seikou-Kishi (8th March 2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by norman View Post
    I think these numbers are only relevant in relation to each other, not as absolutes.

I understand there is a special relationship between the audible pitch of the notes of the angles, I do not ( yet ) understand why we can be so certain what their absolute pitch values should be.
    I agree. I cannot be certain and can only go by what works for me on a few levels. The experiential one being paramount.

I have no case to make. As a musician, I can have more of an effect by how I make my music. I share my passion for this subject in my words but, I have no case to make if challenged. Nothing to prove.

I like the tuning much more than standard tuning.
    Last edited by modwiz, 8th March 2014 at 01:47.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (8th March 2014), BabaRa (8th March 2014), Calz (8th March 2014), eaglespirit (8th March 2014), Frances (8th March 2014), Highland1 (8th March 2014), Moonlight (8th March 2014), Seikou-Kishi (8th March 2014)

Eelco
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    When I first began meditating Eelco, late 90's I think it was, this line from Alan Watts whom I had just been introduced to was of tremendous help and inspiration.

"The past is a memory, the future an expectation. Neither past nor future actually exists, there is simply eternal now".
    That is indeed a helpful statement. It also gives rise to much unneccisary thought outside the realm of meditation though I think. As it requires a "mindset" for it to makes sense without giving rise to too much overthinking it. Don't you think?
    Would you share some of your meditation experiences? exercises, insights and maybe why you stopped practising?

With Love
    Eelco

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Eelco For This Useful Post:

1inMany (8th March 2014), BabaRa (8th March 2014), Calabash (9th March 2014), Calz (9th March 2014), eaglespirit (8th March 2014), Frances (8th March 2014), modwiz (8th March 2014), Moonlight (8th March 2014), Seikou-Kishi (8th March 2014)

Fred Steeves
    Quote Originally posted by Eelco View Post
    Would you share some of your meditation experiences? exercises, insights and maybe why you stopped practising?
    It eventually just got to the point where it was taking up too much of my daily life Eelco, simple as that. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but something had to give when it didn't feel like I had done an adequate session until two or three hours had lapsed. So in true Buddhist fashion I found a middle way. I chose to start training and allowing myself to spend more and more of my daily hours in a state of idle contemplation and observation, whether at work rest or play. When the time is right and I'm alone, I also enjoy going a little deeper into a nice walking meditation mode. These have both managed to integrate quite nicely, and become very much so second nature.

A purist might call that cheating LOL, and maybe it is, but hey whatever works.

Cheers

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

1inMany (8th March 2014), BabaRa (8th March 2014), Calabash (8th March 2014), Calz (9th March 2014), eaglespirit (8th March 2014), Frances (8th March 2014), Highland1 (8th March 2014), modwiz (8th March 2014), Moonlight (8th March 2014), Seikou-Kishi (8th March 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,564 Times in 1,218 Posts
    "Cheating" is the name used for taking the most efficient route by those who insist upon making things difficult for themselves ;-)

16. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Seikou-Kishi For This Useful Post:

1inMany (9th March 2014), BabaRa (8th March 2014), Calabash (9th March 2014), Calz (9th March 2014), eaglespirit (8th March 2014), Frances (8th March 2014), Highland1 (8th March 2014), modwiz (8th March 2014), Moonlight (9th March 2014)

Thanks
    The tent has been quieter lately, much of that owing to events unfolding on the world stage and that takes precedence. These are not ordinary times and what is transpiring may turn out to be extraordinary. The many connecting dots that shift daily make this a somewhat dizzying experience. I tend to take a wholistic, organic view of things. Everything is interconnected. Words would either fall short or be overbearing in their presentation. Not to mention laborious in production, in an era where the time taken to compose a thoughtful piece makes it old news when posted.

Although the left hand will take advantage of the right hand to continue its mischief, it is nothing new. What is happening in the Ukraine is the new meeting the old. It will pay to watch the right hand this time.

The Olympians against the Titans? More like Humanity 2.0 against the Olympians to my eyes.
    Last edited by modwiz, 8th March 2014 at 18:33.

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (9th March 2014), Calabash (9th March 2014), Calz (9th March 2014), eaglespirit (8th March 2014), Frances (8th March 2014), Highland1 (8th March 2014), Moonlight (9th March 2014), norman (9th March 2014), Seikou-Kishi (8th March 2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by eaglespirit View Post
    I feel transportation should be sound ecologically...and I believe Carr's OTC-X1 could be brought online in very little time.
    The OTC actually has a personality and is living and communes with us...and this should be the case with all that we interact with...energy for the home, etc., etc.

The "conscious connection" workings behind this would quickly evolve into every facet of our lives and become a living musical rhythm with all of our surroundings and one another.
    I immediately clicked on the short video and liked everything I saw. The implications for travel are huge at every level of usage. Communication could now be made local because relocating is now almost instantaneous for participants and there is no pollution produced.

Furthermore, if less energy is used to turn the device, which can move a magnet to produce electricity, than the output, one has a free energy perpetual motion model.

I have been meaning to address your post, Eaglespirit. It is another glimmer of light.
    Last edited by modwiz, 8th March 2014 at 18:56.

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (9th March 2014), Calabash (9th March 2014), Calz (9th March 2014), eaglespirit (9th March 2014), Frances (8th March 2014), Highland1 (8th March 2014), Moonlight (9th March 2014), Seikou-Kishi (8th March 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,049 Times in 1,574 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post

Interesting concept in the above video. Definitely worth listening to.

My background: I have little music expertise (can play piano - not well, never practiced, - can read notes and convert to keys), however, I LOVE music, many kinds. Love to sing (average voice, good at caring tune, limited range), but sing constantly. When my son was a baby and crying, I found if I held him to my heart chakra and sang, he almost immediately quieted.

At some point began to use my voice as an instrument (something like Bobby McFerrin). Many years later I realized that when I did this, I raised my vibrations and tapped into something of a higher spiritual level. I have at times (when listening to music that moves me) become one with the music. I remember Greybeard on PA saying he had the same experience. I'm guessing many here have as well.

Remember years ago reading about a flute that was shaped like a bird that someone found (ancient relic) that only played a single note. Another was found (different person, different place) that also played a single note (different one). They believed that there was a third one out there and if they were all played together they could move matter. Perhaps this is how the Tibetan monks do it. Sound effects me at a deep level. The sound that the European ambulances use (or maybe it's just the UK), literally makes something in me pop with vibration.

I can't be any different from the rest of humanity. I have been also guided to study sacred geometry, don't know why. Lived in a dome house for 9 years, WOW!

The Hathors, who are a cadre in another dimension and who speak through Tom Kenyon, have freely given sounds and geometric symbols (octahedron, etc.) which allegedly do various things (i.e. open heart chakra, etc.).

Always short meditations with these sounds. I would be curious as to those of you who have a better understanding of music than I, how you would interpret and/or respond to these.

If you are so inclined, here is the website showing list of messages: http://tomkenyon.com/hathors-archives

Here is one of the many sound meditations: https://tomkenyon.app.box.com/s/5qvzrgzn3mdvi7u4mqrz

I will add that some of these sound discordant to me.
    Last edited by BabaRa, 8th March 2014 at 19:39.

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BabaRa For This Useful Post:

1inMany (9th March 2014), Calabash (9th March 2014), Calz (9th March 2014), eaglespirit (9th March 2014), Frances (8th March 2014), Highland1 (9th March 2014), Moonlight (9th March 2014), Seikou-Kishi (8th March 2014)

Thanks
    One view of mine regarding the Ukraine issue is one of boundaries and healthy, symbiotic relationships. When one looks at the ethno-political 'ecology of the situation a different, organic view emerges. The larger organism, Russia lives in symbiotic relations with a smaller organism, Ukraine. I have done some reading on the various agreements between the two countries and the arrangement was more cozy than predatory. We are talking business and not charity.

I also see the matter of 'influence' as an organic force of Nature. How much influence does Russia wield over the Ukraine? The organic equivalent of the Earth and the Moon. Russia is the planet and Ukraine the satellite. The arrangement is less about power and more about 'mass'. They share a membrane, a border. This is an intimate relationship and one that shows no overt signs of abuse since the Soviet system dissolved.

The encroachment by NATO, an organization formed to counter the Warsaw Pact, now 20 years in non-existence, is a cancer growing towards Russia. If NATO had a noble purpose, like the containment of a Soviet Empire from almost ancient history, its continued existence could be understood. It is now not only an anachronism, it has no raison d'etre other than to serve as a police force for the Anglo-American/EU financial interests. Not a very legitimate or savory reason to be. Since it is the arm of parasites it is itself a pathogen, encroaching on Russia.

Russia has a right to keep its local ecology in order. NATO/EU is engaging in poor boundaries. No respect for business agreements and suit and tie legal issues. Might makes right for them. Russia's might is the only thing they respect but, they are engaged in a 'chicken' staring contest hoping their barbarian tactics will not be met with the proper disinfecting response. It is an ugly move by 'soulless' people. It is ferally desperate.

This is civility versus mob rule by controlled mobs. Discipline versus lack of control. Adults vs teenagers.

24. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (9th March 2014), BabaRa (8th March 2014), Calabash (9th March 2014), Calz (9th March 2014), eaglespirit (9th March 2014), Frances (8th March 2014), Moonlight (9th March 2014), Seikou-Kishi (8th March 2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by BabaRa View Post
    The Hathors, who are a cadre in another dimension and who speak through Tom Kenyon, have freely given sounds and geometric symbols (octahedron, etc.) which allegedly do various things (i.e. open heart chakra, etc.).

Always short meditations with these sounds. I would be curious as to those of you who have a better understanding of music than I, how you would interpret and/or respond to these.

If you are so inclined, here is the website showing list of messages: http://tomkenyon.com/hathors-archives

Here is one of the many sound meditations: https://tomkenyon.app.box.com/s/5qvzrgzn3mdvi7u4mqrz

I will add that some of these sound discordant to me.
    I checked out Tom Kenyon briefly and experienced some of the music. Dedicated a night to it and then dropped it.

26. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (9th March 2014), BabaRa (8th March 2014), Calabash (9th March 2014), Calz (9th March 2014), eaglespirit (9th March 2014), Frances (8th March 2014), Highland1 (9th March 2014), Moonlight (9th March 2014), Seikou-Kishi (8th March 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,564 Times in 1,218 Posts
    BabaRa, when it comes to singing I have a tremendous range (I don't say that as though it's any accomplishment, it is what it is). I don't really know why. I've certainly never sought singing lessons. I haven't sung publicly in, god it must nearly be a decade. Just recently I performed something of a little experiment with a few friends of mine. None of them could sing very well. Most of them were tone deaf, a few others were able to sing but had such a small range they couldn't really sing anything.

Well, this test was working on an idea I'd had rolling around in my head about tone deafness. Many of the people who are tone deaf when they sing are quite as capable as anybody else of picking out an off-note when somebody else is singing. Well, whenever one's voice is recorded, everybody recognises the voice as identical to the one with which one speaks, and yet one struggles at all to recognise the voice. This is because we do not hear our own voices how others hear it. Our own voices do not really travel out into the room and back into the ear (though they do that, too), they travel internally through the body. Perhaps there is some difference between the way sound travels through flesh and the resonant cavities between the larynx and the ear, and both together make for quite a disorienting listening.

Anyway, I was thinking about this. You know how placing a microphone near a computer generates audio feedback? I assumed the same thing was happening between the voice and ear of those who were tone deaf when it came to their own voices but not when it came to others. So I asked a few friends who couldn't sing to help me with an experiment. I asked them to attempt to sing as they ordinarily would, and then to repeat the song but this time place both fists on their throat so that the eight fingers formed a V before the voice box. I was hoping for a slight difference in their abilty to monitor their own pitch, depending upon the vibration of their voice boxes' being felt in their hands and thus giving them a second, new way in which to test their own voice's setting, so to speak. I asked them to place their hands as I did, with the top sides of the proximal phalanges over their voicebox as a way of providing "resolution" (to test the validity of this position, we tried many others and found this by far the best).

Anyway, the results completely blew me away. They were all able to sing well from the very first song. The first verse was sometimes a little patchy, but once they got into it, they were able to maintain great pitch. It astounded me particularly because they were able to sing beyond their usual range. It was as though the physical connection with their larynges provided a method of judging their pitch by feel rather than by sound. I was surprised to find that they needed no acclimatisation period (for example, they didn't need to learn how each note felt before it enabled them to stick to it). Perhaps this lack of stress in their throats enabled them to open up to a greater range. One of my friends was so completely tone deaf with his own voice that every single note he sang ordinarily was all the same pitch, and another one seemed to confuse pitch and volume, getting louder and louder for higher pitches and quieter and quieter for lower pitches. Both of them were able to sing in tune. I was quite blown away.

So I offer this with the idea that perhaps you will give it a try and see how it feels. All you have to do is make two fists and position them as though you were punching yourself, with both fists side by side and touching, but angled so that the little fingers on each hand are furthest forward and the index fingers furthest back.

28. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Seikou-Kishi For This Useful Post:

1inMany (9th March 2014), BabaRa (10th March 2014), Calabash (9th March 2014), Calz (9th March 2014), eaglespirit (9th March 2014), Frances (8th March 2014), Highland1 (9th March 2014), KosmicKat (9th March 2014), modwiz (8th March 2014), Moonlight (9th March 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,070 Times in 1,329 Posts
    What a hoot!

I have never liked Sarah Palin ... but have to give it up to her for coming up with this ...

Palin Re-Writes Dr. Seuss: 'I Do Not Like This Uncle Sam, I Do Not Like His Health Care Scam'

Sarah Palin, inspired by Ted Cruz's reading of Green Eggs and Ham during his filibuster last year, re-wrote the Dr. Seuss classic to whack Uncle Sam at CPAC today:

"I do not like this Uncle Sam.

I do not like his health care scam.

I do not like -- oh, just you wait --

I do not like these dirty crooks, or how they lie and cook the books.

I do not like when Congress steals, I do not like their crony deals.

I do not like this spying, man, I do not like, 'Oh, Yes we can.'

I do not like this spending spree, we're smart, we know there's nothing free.

I do not like reporters' smug replies when I complain about their lies.

I do not like this kind of hope, and we won't take it, nope, nope, nope."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...am_784344.html

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Calz For This Useful Post:

1inMany (9th March 2014), Calabash (9th March 2014), eaglespirit (9th March 2014), Frances (11th March 2014), modwiz (9th March 2014), Moonlight (9th March 2014)