Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Young and Jobless

Retired Member Haiti
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,813 Times in 895 Posts

Young and Jobless

This is a very important video, one that I have just watched on BBC News Channel. It affects all young people in all countries and shows just how bad the situation is everywhere in the world. This really brings it home like a sledgehammer how serious the situation is.

No solution to the problem is given in the video but imo it seems as though youth's best bet is to try and find something they can do on their own - to all become self-employed. This of course is extremely difficult for all but the very gifted to do, especially with no work experience or skills to draw on. My daughter is 26 and she has never managed to secure paid work even though there are many things she is capable of doing. Apart from the obvious ramifications of not being able to support herself, there are also the feelings of poor self-esteem to be taken into account.

I hope you are able to access the video. If Youth are our future then our future looks very bleak.

Last edited by Calabash, 31st December 2013 at 19:16.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Calabash For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (1st January 2014), Cearna (1st January 2014), Frances (1st January 2014), GCS1103 (1st January 2014), ronin (31st December 2013), shamanseeker (2nd January 2014), Tonz (1st January 2014)

Retired Member UK
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,328 Times in 1,589 Posts
    here,s a link that countries may want to borrow and develop.
    give everyone a basic income and they can create their notions and do what they want.
    learn what you want,but remember to give back to the community.

http://www.salon.com/2013/10/11/rath...rek_economics/

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ronin For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (1st January 2014), Calabash (31st December 2013), Cearna (1st January 2014), shamanseeker (2nd January 2014), Tonz (1st January 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 473 Posts
    I don't think a normal, healthy human being can be content to live without making some contribution to society, or perhaps more importantly, without receiving some recognition from society. Since recognition depends heavily on contribution I see the two as inextricably linked. I don't believe the fabric of society would collapse if a minimum income were introduced, although there might need to be some programme to ensure that less popular jobs were performed just as reliably as the "dream" jobs.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to KosmicKat For This Useful Post:

777 (1st January 2014), BabaRa (1st January 2014), Calabash (1st January 2014), Cearna (1st January 2014), GCS1103 (1st January 2014), modwiz (1st January 2014), ronin (1st January 2014), Tonz (1st January 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,572 Times in 2,477 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by KosmicKat View Post
    I don't think a normal, healthy human being can be content to live without making some contribution to society, or perhaps more importantly, without receiving some recognition from society. Since recognition depends heavily on contribution I see the two as inextricably linked. I don't believe the fabric of society would collapse if a minimum income were introduced, although there might need to be some programme to ensure that less popular jobs were performed just as reliably as the "dream" jobs.
    Dangerous ground though surely? I hate to bring politics in but this is a classic communist argument. We already have (in western society) a communist agenda whereby we all comply (animal farm......by not speaking out) and some animals are more equal than others. We are played on every level.....religiously, emotionally, financially, spiritually and completely. If the base level of that system were raised it would only further the value of fiat currency and change nothing.....other than the geographic spread of suffering.

In that sense (as I see it kk....) I'm lost! What does one do to change that status quo other than work inwards? That's a sincere question meant with respect.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 777 For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (1st January 2014), Calabash (1st January 2014), Cearna (1st January 2014), KosmicKat (1st January 2014), ronin (1st January 2014), shamanseeker (2nd January 2014)

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Calabash View Post

No solution to the problem is given in the video but imo it seems as though youth's best bet is to try and find something they can do on their own - to all become self-employed.
    Perhaps the reason why there is no solution to the problem in the video, is because there is no solution to the problem.
    Perhaps the problem, is the solution to a much larger conception of how the machine operates.
    In other words, things are operating the way they were designed to.
    Trying to fix, it, would only spin another paradox portal of unsustainable possibilities.
    Last edited by Vitalux, 1st January 2014 at 03:16.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vitalux For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (1st January 2014), Calabash (1st January 2014), KosmicKat (1st January 2014), ronin (1st January 2014), shamanseeker (2nd January 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by 777 View Post
    I hate to bring politics in but this is a classic communist argument.
    A dangerous argument indeed! Thank you for reminding me that the biggest flaw in the communist ideal continues to be human nature. Or perhaps it would be fairer to say that there are some humans whose nature is not closely aligned with the majority, and it is those humans who pose the greatest threat to an otherwise utopian society. In short, the psychopaths. But I have a feeling that they are a part of the system for a reason that we don't yet understand and if we remove them without understanding why they are there we risk replacing them with something equally troublesome if not worse.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KosmicKat For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (1st January 2014), Calabash (1st January 2014), Cearna (2nd January 2014), ronin (1st January 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,049 Times in 1,574 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Vitalux View Post
    Perhaps the reason why there is no solution to the problem in the video, is because there is no solution to the problem.
    Perhaps the problem, is the solution to a much larger conception of how the machine operates.
    In other words, things are operating the way they were designed to.
    Trying to fix, it, would only spin another paradox portal of unsustainable possibilities.

Yes, until we change the system, it is difficult to change the behavior of the people in the system.

Of course, the BIG question is: HOW do we change the system.

I think giving everyone a decent wage is certainly a beginning - (as is pointed out in Ronin's post above, but I also think having them work for this decent wage is part of the component. There is so much need in every country, people who are unemployed could do much service as volunteers, etc. And when I say a decent wage, I mean something more than struggling at poverty level.

That would mean that the rich would have to be willing to give up some $$, and unfortunately, I see little willingness there.

So perhaps the huge disparity that the rich have created between us in their greed, will end up being their own downfall. Nothing like turning the screws, to make people respond and that is definitely happening. How we respond and how those in power will respond will make a difference.

In the end, inner reform MUST precede social reform. Are we there yet?

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BabaRa For This Useful Post:

Calabash (1st January 2014), Cearna (2nd January 2014), KosmicKat (2nd January 2014), modwiz (1st January 2014), ronin (1st January 2014), shamanseeker (2nd January 2014)

Retired Member UK
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,328 Times in 1,589 Posts
    and in the land of the ancients.
    let,s say atlantis or lemuria they had this same problem of unemployment?
    i would,nt have thought so.
    the people would have had one goal.
    and that is the difference.our society tells us to look after oneself.
    maybe the atlantian,s knew the goal was one of spiritual development and they all strived for it.

so much has been lost that we have all become selfless,selfish,self,me and i.

maybe we do need a global consciousness for spiritual development.
    knowing what you are striving for would help.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ronin For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (2nd January 2014), Cearna (2nd January 2014), modwiz (1st January 2014)

Retired Member Haiti
    Thanks
    Good point Ronin, except they bit the dust too, albeit for other reasons. Having said that, we know very little about their society, although for the sake of interest here is a link to a website which pertains to tell us all about the Atlantean societal structure. It does not ring true to me, although of course I am of a different civilisation altogether . . . .
    http://thelighthouseonline.com/articles/atlantis4.html

We do need global consciousness but it's not likely to happen in our lifetimes unfortunately. Although we on the forum consider ourselves to be free spirits (apologies - I don't mean to talk for everyone ) we still seem to waiting for somebody else to do something to make everything better. Someone like the government maybe? The government to achieve any kind of consciousness apart from the very minimum needed to line their own pockets? Hmmm . . . No, it's going to have to be something really MEGA. but what would be mega enough?

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calabash For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (2nd January 2014), Cearna (2nd January 2014), modwiz (1st January 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    A functioning world would not have "jobs", IMO. We would have vocations based on what we do well or can be of assistance to. Joy comes from doing. If what you are doing it not bringing one joy, it is because they are a cog in a broken machine. The world is currently built wrong. When the foundation, us, decides to act in true self interest, repairs will begin.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (2nd January 2014), Calabash (1st January 2014), Cearna (2nd January 2014), Church (1st January 2014), GCS1103 (2nd January 2014), KosmicKat (2nd January 2014), shamanseeker (2nd January 2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by KosmicKat View Post
    But I have a feeling that they are a part of the system for a reason that we don't yet understand and if we remove them without understanding why they are there we risk replacing them with something equally troublesome if not worse.
    Pathogens are messengers, providing information about the environment they can find support from.

Worrying about who might replace them is a paralyzing state of mind. We, replace them. The real talent is not with "them". It is with us. There are natural leaders and administrators. We have to make sure the new ones represent our interests. It is doable. It is finding the will, in between sports and other distractions.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (2nd January 2014), Calabash (1st January 2014), Cearna (2nd January 2014), GCS1103 (2nd January 2014), KosmicKat (2nd January 2014), shamanseeker (2nd January 2014)

Thanks
    I see comments that still are expecting government to give us what we want. That is what a minimum wage is. A crumb from gov't. The system is broken, like my broken record of a comment.

I could be collecting unemployment but I do not so so because that would be using a system I despise.

The opening video comes from the BBC. Why is anyone watching this propaganda channel? Why does anyone still have a cable subscription, supporting a system that exists to misinform us and create urges to buy what we do not need?

Please do not answer. The answers are painful to hear.

Transmitted from a dimension adjacent to the consensus.

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (2nd January 2014), Calabash (1st January 2014), Cearna (2nd January 2014), GCS1103 (2nd January 2014), KosmicKat (2nd January 2014), Seikou-Kishi (2nd January 2014), shamanseeker (2nd January 2014)

Retired Member Haiti
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    I see comments that still are expecting government to give us what we want. That is what a minimum wage is. A crumb from gov't. The system is broken, like my broken record of a comment.

I could be collecting unemployment but I do not so so because that would be using a system I despise.

The opening video comes from the BBC. Why is anyone watching this propaganda channel? Why does anyone still have a cable subscription, supporting a system that exists to misinform us and create urges to buy what we do not need?

Please do not answer. The answers are painful to hear.

Transmitted from a dimension adjacent to the consensus.
    How can you lob a hand grenade in and not expect a response (even if you haven’t removed the pin)?

The video content reflects my fears of the current situation and therefore imo appears to be a valid assessment of the current youth world job market. In the same way that David Attenborough’s views about population control should not detract from his spectacular nature programmes, we should not cut ourselves off from available information, however unpalatable the source. I will not defend the BBC other than that as what you say is true. I also agree that the system is broken but the effects are ongoing and still continuing; there is still a long and painful way to go before it halts altogether.

Two relevant matters I wanted to raise are: what do forum members feel about:

Vastly over-qualified students taking on jobs at McDonalds, for instance, which leaves lesser qualified people unable to find work and

Volunteering, which seems to play into employers’ hands.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calabash For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (2nd January 2014), Cearna (2nd January 2014), shamanseeker (2nd January 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by ronin View Post
    and in the land of the ancients.
    let,s say atlantis or lemuria they had this same problem of unemployment?
    i would,nt have thought so.
    the people would have had one goal.
    and that is the difference.our society tells us to look after oneself.
    maybe the atlantian,s knew the goal was one of spiritual development and they all strived for it.

so much has been lost that we have all become selfless,selfish,self,me and i.

maybe we do need a global consciousness for spiritual development.
    knowing what you are striving for would help.
    Am I at least partly right in thinking that what you are advocating is a society based on doing what you can to meet the needs of those around you rather than focussing exclusively on meeting your own needs?

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KosmicKat For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (2nd January 2014), GCS1103 (3rd January 2014), modwiz (2nd January 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,049 Times in 1,574 Posts
    Just a suggestion: Let us not get lost in semantics. None of us use the correct wording all the time - instead, let's look at the deeper meaning behind what a person is trying to say. We constantly get side-railed in the details; as if we're so busy looking for the ants, we get stampeded by the elephants. This is what the PTB count on - we all quote it regularly: Divide and conquer. Yet we continue to fall for the programming.

I believe we are all here to find a better way - and we're each doing it in the best way that we can. Let's not judge the path of another. Unemployment is an important issue for all of us. We need to consider all ideas of ways to make the world a better place.

There is someone much smarter than you and me - - and that's all of us together.

Said with much love, Barbara

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BabaRa For This Useful Post:

Calabash (2nd January 2014), Cearna (3rd January 2014), Church (3rd January 2014), GCS1103 (3rd January 2014), KosmicKat (3rd January 2014), modwiz (2nd January 2014)