Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: some old myths become the new reality...

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 473 Posts
    As someone who works with wood, I have learned a few lessons over the years:
    1. When you strip the bark from a newly fallen (or cut, but not by my hand if I can possibly help it) limb, you see why we call tree branches limbs; the resemblance is uncanny!
    2. If at all possible don't throw a piece of "scrap" wood away. You can always find some use for it. And burn it only as a last resort when you need the warmth.
    3. Wood makes music. Electronics can make music, but to me, it is often lifeless compared with a "live" wooden instrument.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to KosmicKat For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (28th December 2013), Cearna (28th December 2013), Frances (28th December 2013), modwiz (28th December 2013), mojo (28th December 2013), Seikou-Kishi (28th December 2013), Spiral (28th December 2013)

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,686 Times in 375 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    For clarity. I do not wish to create confusion or conflation with the faerie term. Which is why I referenced a "human" faerie bloodline. I was not inferring, or poorly communicating, that humans and the non-human faerie had somehow mixed. I would hope not to be taken seriously if suggesting such an idea.
    Its fine, modwiz, I didn't write the comment with what you were saying in mind, it may have seemed like it, however, I was sharing an experience we have had with the genre.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wolf Khan For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (28th December 2013), Frances (28th December 2013), modwiz (28th December 2013), mojo (28th December 2013), Spiral (28th December 2013)

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,686 Times in 375 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by BabaRa View Post
    Some years ago, I was sitting on my deck (quite rural) enjoying the scenery when I felt there was a hummingbird behind me, yet I sensed if I turned it would fly away.

I thought: I wish it would come in front of me so I could see it. And to my amazement if flew right in front of me, just a foot from my face and just stayed there for a minute, flapping it's wings but remaining still.

Since then, I have always thought of hummingbirds as fairies.

As for trees, my dad loved them with a passion. He called them all his little darlings. Said they were a reminder for us to keep our roots deep in the earth, yet to reach for the heavens. I have inherited that love.

We should all love the many life-forms we share this world with. Doing so reveals our loving natures, and not that which causes pain. True love is a clear reality, strong when needed, soft when need calls for it. Loving is so deliberately misconstrued here on this planet. In doing so we miss so much of the pure magic of living.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wolf Khan For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (28th December 2013), Cearna (28th December 2013), Frances (28th December 2013), KosmicKat (28th December 2013), modwiz (28th December 2013), mojo (28th December 2013), Spiral (28th December 2013)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,007 Times in 1,526 Posts
    interesting a book on amazon is now (2 Used from $1,880.34) for hardcover edition entitled, American Elves: An Encyclopedia of Little People from the Lore of 380 Ethnic Groups of the Western Hemisphere

more than 3000 supernatural "little people," spirits found in 380 cultures within 49 linguistic divisions in the Western Hemisphere. This material was originally gleaned from a vast archive published over the past centuries by government agencies, anthropology museums, university research centers, scholarly professions, and other learned bodies throughout the Americas. Arranged within geographical, cultural, and linguistic boundaries, Roth's brief discussion attempts to clarify the multiple and conflicting nomenclature of Native groups. Longer articles briefly discuss social organization (tribal hierarchy), presence (elf, dwarf, pygmy, shape-shifter), power (magic, spiritual), habitat (location preferences), and beliefs. Each major entry is followed by brief bibliographical references, with a 120-page bibliography at the end. Alas, the thorough body of anthropological, ethnic, and linguistic information implied by the title is, regrettably, not realized. With the exception of a few passing references to European American and African American cultures, the coverage is largely limited to Indian settlements and languages. The information provided appears dated and allows only a marginal glimpse at the ethnic and linguistic topics covered. The confusing arrangement and absence of an index assures that a search for specific information can be a many-step process. The lack of standard organization and the coverage flaws noted render this encyclopedia unsuitable for general reference usage

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (28th December 2013), Calabash (28th December 2013), Cearna (28th December 2013), Frances (28th December 2013), modwiz (28th December 2013), Spiral (28th December 2013)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,335 Times in 635 Posts
    I haven't had time to read all but will. I was in a remote part on the mountain recently and saw a light figure jump behind a bush but couldn't see it like Tribe - probably because I'm not pure enough but you were a child and were able to see it.

Modwiz, do you mean humans who were faeries in another reincarnation because Spenser in the Faerie Queene speaks of the Faerie Queene as women of the royal bloodline (which Diana was too) but not very nice beings at all, usually?

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shamanseeker For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (28th December 2013), Cearna (28th December 2013), Frances (28th December 2013), mojo (28th December 2013), Spiral (28th December 2013)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,882 Times in 3,290 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by mojo View Post
    interesting a book on amazon is now (2 Used from $1,880.34) for hardcover edition entitled, American Elves: An Encyclopedia of Little People from the Lore of 380 Ethnic Groups of the Western Hemisphere
    If you look around it is available for less than $ 70 & it's also in some libraries.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (28th December 2013), Cearna (28th December 2013), Frances (28th December 2013), mojo (28th December 2013), shamanseeker (2nd January 2014)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,882 Times in 3,290 Posts
    Reflecting on what has been written on this thread has brought an incident to mind that I will have to meditate on.

Twenty odd years ago I was on the bus going to work (dull 9 to 5 at the local council) and the bus was stopped at at bus stop to let some people on, I was sat on the top deck & turned my head to look to my left for no reason I was aware of.

Just behind the 6 foot high stone wall that runs along that side of the road is a strip of woodland that borders some farmers fields, and there right where my eyes had fixed was a small human like creature not more than one & a half feet tall dressed just like a garden gnome stood next to a sycamore tree !

At the time I was teetotal & not on medication of any kind, I couldn't believe my eyes ! Immediately the bus set off but I know what I saw, seeing something like that on a mundane work day was a shock.

The following day I looked out for the little chap, but to my shock the very tree he had been stood next to had been cut down, just that one, none of the others.

Shortly after this my health collapsed, and a voyage of discovery started without me realising it.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (28th December 2013), Frances (28th December 2013), Seikou-Kishi (29th December 2013), shamanseeker (2nd January 2014)

Retired Member Haiti
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,813 Times in 895 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    Agreed. However, there is a class of beings that fall into a category that could be called Faerie. I use the word 'class' in its taxonomic sense, for there are then orders, families and geni (plural of genus?) that follow.

There is also the human faerie bloodline. Princess Diana being and example of it. If it is true.

Not reporting 'facts'. Just observations of mine.
    She is still hugely missed and has left a great big unfillable hole . . . .

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calabash For This Useful Post:

BabaRa (28th December 2013), mojo (28th December 2013), shamanseeker (2nd January 2014)