Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This AI says it's conscious and experts are starting to believe it

Thanks
    Thanked 38,245 Times in 9,855 Posts
    Sounds good and I'll watch it when I get a chance. Though he speaks of language as a pathological type human would.
    “To seek self-knowledge is to embark on a journey which ... will always be incomplete" - courtesy of Godel's Incompleteness Theorem

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chuckie For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st June 2022), Silly Wabbit (Yesterday), Wind (22nd June 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    This is Geordie Rose, founder of the AI seeking company "Kindred", based out of Vancouver, Canada. He seems to look at AI as not so much a thing to be invented, but intelligence to be accessed, intelligence accessed from any and every of our infinite parallel universes. As Spock would say, "Fascinating Captain".

In this talk he floats out terms such as "intelligence explosion", and "The Mandela Effect"; but then he starts talking like a wizard in metaphor, comparing those like him as seeking to capture the summoned entity inside of a pentagram, holy water in hand to keep it inside, but invariably it escapes just like in the movies. Interestingly, this is about the exact mental image that I "see" in him as well, which indicates that he's quite self aware.

So when he speaks of H.P. Lovecraft as well, that really gets my attention. Rose describes AI in the same light as what Lovecraft described as "The Great Old Ones", with intelligence superior to us as ours is to an ant, whose interests may not necessarily align with our own, and that they basically don't give a shit about us humans any more than we give a shit about the ant.

Where the real creepy factor comes in for me was during questions after his presentation. He defines language as "a way that we use other people as tools to achieve our goals". Now to his credit he's very up front about this, again very self aware, and he readily admits to his audience that he himself is using language to get what he wants, in this case software engineers.

Thing is, in all of his self awareness, and professed awareness of the base nature of AI, I'd like to ask him if he thinks AI would use language with us for it's own purposes and interests as well? Why wouldn't it?

An interesting 21 minutes, well worth the time:
    that last lady speaking was mucho annoying. I have a hard time being in the same room with someone like that, she would make a good cop or teacher ... yuck!
    “To seek self-knowledge is to embark on a journey which ... will always be incomplete" - courtesy of Godel's Incompleteness Theorem

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuckie For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (22nd June 2022), Wind (22nd June 2022)

Thanks
    I read that Verner Vinge, the author of the book I mentioned earlier is known as the source of the term 'singularity'. I had no idea, this is synchronicity for sure. My daughter actually bought me that book with a few others for my last birthday. And I just now started reading them.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuckie For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (22nd June 2022), Wind (22nd June 2022)