Thread: WikiLeaks Release: Secret Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPP)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,882 Times in 3,290 Posts

Exclamation WikiLeaks Release: Secret Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPP)

13 November 2013, WikiLeaks released the secret negotiated draft text for the entire TPP (Trans-Pacific Partnership) Intellectual Property Rights Chapter. The TPP is the largest-ever economic treaty, encompassing nations representing more than 40 per cent of the world’s GDP. The WikiLeaks release of the text comes ahead of the decisive TPP Chief Negotiators summit in Salt Lake City, Utah, on 19-24 November 2013. The chapter published by WikiLeaks is perhaps the most controversial chapter of the TPP due to its wide-ranging effects on medicines, publishers, internet services, civil liberties and biological patents. Significantly, the released text includes the negotiation positions and disagreements between all 12 prospective member states.

The TPP is the forerunner to the equally secret US-EU pact TTIP (Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership), for which President Obama initiated US-EU negotiations in January 2013. Together, the TPP and TTIP will cover more than 60 per cent of global GDP.

Full press release here; https://wikileaks.org/tpp/pressrelease.html

http://wikileaks.org/tpp/static/pdf/...IP-chapter.pdf

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Useful Post:

Calz (18th November 2013), dianna (14th November 2013), Frances (14th November 2013), john parslow (14th November 2013), Melidae (18th November 2013), Wolf Khan (14th November 2013)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,106 Times in 484 Posts
    I am truly surprised at the lack of information and discussion about TPP on the alternative forums. It takes power and control away from the member countries governments and puts them under corporate rule.

From an article at Activist Post (http://www.activistpost.com/2013/11/...tion-also.html)...

If you think the Monsanto Protection Act was bad, watch out for the Trans-Pacific Partnership, a multilateral trade agreement being negotiated in secret, which subverts national sovereignty for corporate rule.
    -------
    The TPP forbids a member nation from passing any laws not “consistent with the provisions of this Chapter.”
    and...

The Intellectual Property chapter (or here) devotes 21 pages to patents for drugs and genes; copyrights cover 16 pages, enforcement covers 24 pages, with the final section of 15 pages addressing how they plan to punish internet service providers whose clients violate the new IP rules. Assange remarked:

"If instituted, the TPP’s IP regime would trample over individual rights and free expression, as well as ride roughshod over the intellectual and creative commons. If you read, write, publish, think, listen, dance, sing or invent; if you farm or consume food; if you’re ill now or might one day be ill, the TPP has you in its crosshairs."

Thom Hartmann’s read of the TPP IP chapter leads him to conclude, “The provisions would stifle innovation, creativity, and information sharing, all under the guise of protecting intellectual property.”

While much ink has gone to the TPP’s squashing of internet freedom, the IP chapter also threatens biological diversity by forcing trade in genetically modified organisms. It fast-tracks patent approval and forbids nations from banning genetically modified organisms solely on the grounds that it already bans them.
    and...

My read of the IP chapter finds no mechanisms for individual citizens to assert personal sovereignty or reject any of the terms of these agreements. It’s like we don’t exist in the corporate mind, though 800 million people live in the TPP nations. Dave Johnson warns, “if you don’t have a seat at the table, you are on the table.”
    and...

But it’s much worse than that; the Trans-Pacific Partnership represents corporate domination over national and individual sovereignty, food sovereignty, creative freedom, healthcare access, and the environment, replacing laws passed by elected representatives with rules developed in secret by corporations unaccountable to the people impacted by them.

I am very careful to about what I put into my body. Just the thought of being forced to eat GMO's makes my skin crawl.

Where's the uproar over TPP? It has the possibility of doing so much more damage than all the NSA spying in the world that everyone is going on about...and yet, silence on TPP.

I don't get it.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Melidae For This Useful Post:

Calz (18th November 2013), Frances (18th November 2013), Spiral (18th November 2013)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,882 Times in 3,290 Posts
    Where's the uproar over TPP?

Its dull, difficult to digest and there is no hero or beautiful heroine, no catch phrase or tune you can't get out of your head, and most people still think they live in a democracy that has their greater good at heart.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Useful Post:

Calz (18th November 2013), Melidae (19th November 2013)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,070 Times in 1,329 Posts
    I think those who are "awake and aware" are simply exhausted from the non-stop push from the ptb/w.

Sorting out the facts from fiction with all the myriad sources and degrees of disinfo is tiresome in and of itself.

Some suggest they are desperate ... cornered animals ... but until the monetary system fails (providing the means to reward their minions) they still have some very sharp claws.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calz For This Useful Post:

Melidae (19th November 2013), Spiral (18th November 2013)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,106 Times in 484 Posts
    I guess the only saving grace is that eventually the snake will eat its' own tail...or is that already beginning?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Melidae For This Useful Post:

Spiral (19th November 2013)