Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harry's Road Trips

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    40 minutes, this one.

Damn, I thought Americans were bad drivers...Those folks need to stay on their side of the road. Don't know for sure if I remember when it happened, the boat crash ... probably I remember it well from TV.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th April 2022), Dreamtimer (27th April 2022), Wind (25th April 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (27th April 2022), Emil El Zapato (26th April 2022), Wind (26th April 2022)

Thanks

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (27th April 2022), Emil El Zapato (26th April 2022), Wind (26th April 2022)

Thanks
    [ video ]
    Cat seems to quite like the roar of the Ferrari ...

Where's the autobahn ... I remember hearing about a guy test driving his Ferrari on the autobahn and surprisingly at 185 mph he missed his turn off ... it wasn't a pretty result. He drives like I like to drive ... Appears to have really tight steering which is cool.
    Last edited by Aragorn, 26th April 2022 at 20:24. Reason: trimmed your quotes

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th April 2022), Dreamtimer (27th April 2022), Wind (26th April 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Chuckie View Post
    Cat seems to quite like the roar of the Ferrari ...

Where's the autobahn ... I remember hearing about a guy test driving his Ferrari on the autobahn and surprisingly at 185 mph he missed his turn off ... it wasn't a pretty result. He drives like I like to drive ... Appears to have really tight steering which is cool.
    The Autobahn is, as its name suggests, in Germany. It is the generic name for the German highway network, and although there is a speed limit of 130 km/h on many sections of the Autobahn, the German highways are of course best known for their many unrestricted areas where you can drive as fast as your car will go, albeit while still adhering to other traffic regulations and conducting yourself responsibly. In other words, if you were to behave like a hooligan on the deregulated sections, then you can still get yourself arrested, because the German police does monitor those sections of the Autobahn just as closely as they do the restricted areas.

There is also a section of the infamous Nürburgring — specifically, the Nordschleiffe — that is part of the deregulated Autobahn and that is open to the public on weekdays, albeit that you do have to pay for passing through there — it's a toll road — and if you're caught with a ticking chronograph in your car, then you're screwed. It is strictly verboten to time your lap at the Nürburgring when it is open to the public, although many still do, and then often crash.

The Ring is well known as a very dangerous circuit — many people have already lost their lives there, including professionals — and it is often referred to as "the Green Hell of the North". There are several blind corners, two very treacherous carousels — i.e. flat-surfaced corners with a concrete banking on the inside of the corner — as well as several climbs followed by heavy compression.

There is also a prohibit of driving over the Ring more than once a day if your car is too loud, as Shmee150 recently found out when he went onto the Nürburgring in his Huracán STO and wanted to come back for seconds after his first lap. Although not a road trip video in and of itself, I'll post Shmee150's video — 20 minutes in length — of that event below, because he's got cameras in his car and he's showing the whole lap on screen as if you yourself are behind the wheel of his car. It is quite spectacular to behold.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (27th April 2022), Emil El Zapato (26th April 2022), Fred Steeves (26th April 2022), Wind (26th April 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 2,615 Posts
    The Autobahn is, as its name suggests, in Germany. It is the generic name for the German highway network, and although there is a speed limit of 130 km/h on many sections of the Autobahn, the German highways are of course best known for their many unrestricted areas where you can drive as fast as your car will go, albeit while still adhering to other traffic regulations and conducting yourself responsibly. In other words, if you were to behave like a hooligan on the deregulated sections, then you can still get yourself arrested, because the German police does monitor those sections of the Autobahn just as closely as they do the restricted areas.
    I had a chance to drive one of those unrestricted autobahn sections when we visited Germany years ago. Generally kept the rental car from 160 -180 kpm, not being used to that kind of speed I was plenty good inside that range.

Funny side story to that: Cruising along right there in that range of speed, when out of seemingly nowhere two brand new pure white BMW's came ripping by in tandem like we were sitting still, and were out of sight in no time. That, was a bit of a jaw dropper, because I had thought I was going fast. Bought new meaning to the term getting your doors blown off!
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th April 2022), Dreamtimer (27th April 2022), Emil El Zapato (26th April 2022), Lord Sidious (19th December 2022), Wind (26th April 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    I had a chance to drive one of those unrestricted autobahn sections when we visited Germany years ago. Generally kept the rental car from 160 -180 kpm, not being used to that kind of speed I was plenty good inside that range.

Funny side story to that: Cruising along right there in that range of speed, when out of seemingly nowhere two brand new pure white BMW's came ripping by in tandem like we were sitting still, and were out of sight in no time. That, was a bit of a jaw dropper, because I had thought I was going fast. Bought new meaning to the term getting your doors blown off!
    Or as my dad would say about drivers like that, they're not driving really fast, they're just flying really low.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (27th April 2022), Emil El Zapato (26th April 2022), Fred Steeves (26th April 2022), Lord Sidious (19th December 2022), Wind (26th April 2022)

Thanks

There is also a section of the infamous Nürburgring — specifically, the Nordschleiffe — that is part of the deregulated Autobahn and that is open to the public on weekdays, albeit that you do have to pay for passing through there — it's a toll road — and if you're caught with a ticking chronograph in your car, then you're screwed. It is strictly verboten to time your lap at the Nürburgring when it is open to the public, although many still do, and then often crash.

The Ring is well known as a very dangerous circuit — many people have already lost their lives there, including professionals — and it is often referred to as "the Green Hell of the North". There are several blind corners, two very treacherous carousels — i.e. flat-surfaced corners with a concrete banking on the inside of the corner — as well as several climbs followed by heavy compression.

There is also a prohibit of driving over the Ring more than once a day if your car is too loud, as Shmee150 recently found out when he went onto the Nürburgring in his Huracán STO and wanted to come back for seconds after his first lap. Although not a road trip video in and of itself, I'll post Shmee150's video — 20 minutes in length — of that event below, because he's got cameras in his car and he's showing the whole lap on screen as if you yourself are behind the wheel of his car. It is quite spectacular to behold.
    Definitely cool, he hit about 150 miles per hour ... that's flying. Noise limits? very interesting. Man, that's great though

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th April 2022), Dreamtimer (27th April 2022), Wind (26th April 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post

I've hit 105 mph on my way to work ... always have to worry about tickets though. The worst ticket I've had is going 85 in a 55 ... speed trap.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th April 2022), Dreamtimer (27th April 2022), Fred Steeves (27th April 2022), Wind (26th April 2022)

Thanks
    I was driving the interstate once and chugging along at my usual 85 and a BMW and a Mercedes pulled up behind me, passed me, and then side-by-side just blasted off. It was cool. I didn't have the horsepower or the huevos to compete so I just watched them blast on down the road. I was driving an older middle-class 'sporty' car. I'd had a chance to buy a well cared for Mustang and passed it up because of the paint job and always regretted my choice. About 5 miles down the road I passed an overturned Mercedes. I don't know for sure if it was the same car, but I suspect it was.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th April 2022), Dreamtimer (28th April 2022), Wind (27th April 2022)

Thanks

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (28th April 2022), Emil El Zapato (27th April 2022), Wind (27th April 2022)

Thanks
    Damn that autobahn run ... the dude was screaming ... wow ... woohoo lol ... I have to ask what the hell does the 'Green Party' have to say about it ... he be just driving down the road.
    Last edited by Wind, 27th April 2022 at 22:32.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th April 2022), Dreamtimer (28th April 2022), Wind (27th April 2022)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I guess 'gear-heads' might not relate to Teslas since, as my brother told me, they don't have gears. How does that even work? I don't know the mechanics of a Tesla, clearly. He bought one at the end of last year and when he had to drive a rental he just kept complaining that it had no power. Poor guy.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th April 2022), Emil El Zapato (28th April 2022), Wind (28th April 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    I guess 'gear-heads' might not relate to Teslas since, as my brother told me, they don't have gears. How does that even work? I don't know the mechanics of a Tesla, clearly.
    When it comes to a Tesla, they have one or two electric motors — one driving the rear wheels and possibly an extra one driving the front wheels. Other electric vehicles may have individual motors per wheel — it really depends on the manufacturer.

Electric vehicles normally don't have any gear ratios, or at most two ratios. The reason for this is that the gear ratios are intended to multiply the torque, given that internal combustion engines have a very narrow torque band. But electric motors have their peak torque available from the moment they are powered up, even when they're not spinning yet.

So, an electric vehicle has its peak torque available across the entire power band and will have no problem accelerating and pulling its mass forward, and that's why they generally do away with the added complexity of a transmission with multiple gears. It gets rid of some of the complexity and of some of the weight, because electric vehicles are much heavier than vehicles with an internal combustion engine, courtesy of the battery pack. A Tesla Model 3 for instance weighs over 1'800 kg, whereas my own car — a typical front-wheel-driven European "hot hatch" of approximately the same size as a Model 3, but with a 2-liter 4-cylinder turbocharged petrol/gasoline engine and a 6-speed manual transmission — weighs about 1'300 kg.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (28th April 2022), Emil El Zapato (28th April 2022), Wind (28th April 2022)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    ...no exhaust.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th April 2022), Emil El Zapato (28th April 2022), Wind (28th April 2022)