Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 162324252627 LastLast
Results 376 to 390 of 396

Thread: The Sideshow

  1. #376
    Senior Member Fred Steeves's Avatar
    Join Date
    1st May 2016
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,695
    Thanks
    5,022
    Thanked 12,120 Times in 2,666 Posts
    Wow! That was one aspect of my job in the navy, making sure the chute and all survival equipment are properly integrated with the ejection seat.
    https://twitter.com/historyinmemes/s...24823964889217
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

    Socrates

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

    Aragorn (16th March 2024), Lord Sidious (16th March 2024), Wind (22nd March 2024)

  3. #377
    Senior Member Fred Steeves's Avatar
    Join Date
    1st May 2016
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,695
    Thanks
    5,022
    Thanked 12,120 Times in 2,666 Posts
    At first I was wanting to think that this Great White was just curious, but as time went on, they can also be quite territorial over a feeding area. Like apparently territorial strikes are a big reason for Great White attacks on surfers; if the shark is there to feed it's by god gonna have its way, but when they just come in a do a quick hit or take a chunk? That's telling everyone in the area "Back The Fuck Off" And LOL of course we smartly do!

    But by and large they're just curious, and it's only by looks, capability and social conditioning that we look at these magnificent creatures in the way that we do.

    Whatever the case, I've been well out in the Gulf of Mexico in small boats enough, to appreciate what this type of encounter must have been like. Something I might joke in that situation would be "for a million dollars cash, on the spot, would you jump in right now and tread water for 10 seconds?"
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

    Socrates

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

    Aragorn (18th March 2024), Lord Sidious (18th March 2024), Wind (22nd March 2024)

  5. #378
    Senior Member Emil El Zapato's Avatar
    Join Date
    3rd April 2017
    Location
    Earth I
    Posts
    12,248
    Thanks
    36,798
    Thanked 43,202 Times in 11,965 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    At first I was wanting to think that this Great White was just curious, but as time went on, they can also be quite territorial over a feeding area. Like apparently territorial strikes are a big reason for Great White attacks on surfers; if the shark is there to feed it's by god gonna have its way, but when they just come in a do a quick hit or take a chunk? That's telling everyone in the area "Back The Fuck Off" And LOL of course we smartly do!

    But by and large they're just curious, and it's only by looks, capability and social conditioning that we look at these magnificent creatures in the way that we do.

    Whatever the case, I've been well out in the Gulf of Mexico in small boats enough, to appreciate what this type of encounter must have been like. Something I might joke in that situation would be "for a million dollars cash, on the spot, would you jump in right now and tread water for 10 seconds?"
    I think you're going to need a bigger boat...
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

    Aragorn (18th March 2024), Wind (22nd March 2024)

  7. #379
    Senior Member Fred Steeves's Avatar
    Join Date
    1st May 2016
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,695
    Thanks
    5,022
    Thanked 12,120 Times in 2,666 Posts

    Our politicians need to do this

    This is interesting, and from past experience I can attest to the validity of his journey.

    Michael Tracy is one of the independent media journalists that I've followed for some years now, this is quite the departure from his usual observations and investigations:

    I just went to one of the first legal psilocybin mushroom clinics in the United States


    Last week, I went to one of the first legal psilocybin mushroom clinics in the United States. In 2020, the wise people of Oregon voted to permit the establishment of such clinics, wherein this mysterious, naturally-occurring psychoactive compound can be safely administered to adults in a controlled, regulated environment. That this has suddenly become possible still feels like something of a miracle. Ten or fifteen years ago, the idea that one could just walk into a normal building on Main Street USA — as opposed to voyaging to an underground shamanistic lair — and consume the compound lawfully, under professional supervision, seemed like a laughably far-off fantasy. Something to vaguely hope for in the abstract, perhaps, but still so distant as to be a virtual impossibility. But then the impossible happened, as is frequently the case, and beginning in 2023, an initial round of state-sanctioned clinics opened to the general public.

    Entering into the experience purposefully and with intention is highly advisable. Though I wouldn’t presume to tell anyone whether, or how, to take these substances, I do think there’s value in treating the experience with reverence and solemnity — not as some frivolous excursion, and definitely not as a way to merely “have fun,” especially if you’ve been undergoing any psychological distress of late, and are seeking this out as a salve. The intention I visualized ahead of time was to introspect, and ideally to transcend recursive thought-patterns that had been burbling around in my head, which I had determined were ill-suited to flourishing, fulfillment, and productivity.

    It’s now been about six days since I ingested the curious compound (March 27 to be exact) and my mind is so much sturdier and quieter. A liberating stillness has washed over me. In general, I am walking around with a far greater sense of equanimity than had been attainable pre-ingestion. One distinct sensation I had during the height of the experience was a huge, long-awaited relief from the constant over-stimulation of regular waking life. Unwelcome thoughts don’t intrude into my headspace with the maddening frequency of before, although this new mental habit does need to be conscientiously maintained and cultivated after the intoxicant has worn off. Helpfully, I’ve found it much easier to meditate, which is something I’ve intermittently attempted to do in the past, even going to a 10-day silent meditation retreat some years ago. Now, it comes much easier and freer, without the same strain and internal resistance.

    Though one’s sense of time all but vanishes, I can roughly demarcate the first half of the experience as having been difficult — as distinct from “bad” — and then the second half as having been an immersion into glorious serenity. The “difficulty” arose from the excavation of myriad stresses, anxieties, and disturbances that inevitably accumulate in the subconscious. We really do absorb all kinds of stimuli that our normal sentient brains have extremely limited awareness of, which get stored in our physical bodily carriages — subtly dictating our behavior and cognition, without us having regular access to the storage center. Taking the mushroom is like being taken on a guided tour of your own psyche. It’s like being given a brief window into the inner-workings of your (alleged) self. Or put another way: it’s like ten years of therapy crammed into a few hours — except it actually works.

    There can be a temptation after such an experience to go around proselytizing like a madman about the rejuvenating wonders of this particular fungi. (The clinic provided a finely-ground mushroom concentrate that was mixed with lemon extract and hot water.) While it’s hard not to conclude that most people could derive major benefits from psilocybin, it’s also prudent to not get too overzealous: some people may not have the steadiness of mind to profitably undergo what can indeed be a very laborious “trip.” I know there were times in the midst of it when I second-guessed myself, or wondered whether I’d made a mistake. But when such thoughts fluttered, I was able to ground myself in the confidence that I’d made a rational and well-informed choice, and that all I could do at that point was “turn off my mind, relax, and float down stream.”

    Hence, there eventually did emerge an overflowing of gratitude and compassion, for myself and others. In the days afterward, I took some time to reflect and “integrate,” as the psychedelic lexicon goes. The experience of such a major alteration of consciousness can otherwise quickly fade into distant memory, which one cannot easily resurface.

    I knew that whatever I allegedly am was being reassembled when I cracked my first morbid joke to the facilitator, who stays in the room with you the entire time, and is licensed by the state of Oregon. (You are encouraged to simply lie down with your eyes closed, or with eye shades affixed.) I had asked the facilitator what people tend to do for the rest of the day after their “trip” has ended, as the ingestion takes place relatively early in the morning. She replied that some people like to watch cartoons for light entertainment. “What about watching gruesome murders?” I asked. Obviously, the psilocybin had not extinguished my fundamental sardonic self. Whatever I allegedly am was back, for better or worse.

    At times over the past year or so, I’d found it frustratingly difficult to focus and write. This can be a recurring cycle for me. Psilocybin, it seems, breaks the cycle — today I feel lighter and more mentally agile. The burdens I carry are relatively mundane and inconsequential; people who carry around substantially heavier burdens likely stand to gain even more from the experience. One thing that occurred to me during the peak of intoxication was how those with far more severe “trauma,” a term which I acknowledge can often be vastly and sometimes cynically overused, would benefit enormously from this brief flash of objectivity and detachment afforded by the psilocybin. Especially military veterans with PTSD, who have been the object of much recent scientific research into the effects of psychedelics.

    Again without imposing my peculiar perspective on anyone else, I do have a strong sense that this whole endeavor should be treated as a kind of sacrament, or a rite. It should not be treated frivolously or carelessly. Nearly a week later, I still maintain a feeling of reverence for the tranquility of mind I have been granted. My brain feels like it’s functioning properly again — like a long-unexercised muscle finally got an arduous, restorative workout.

    There’s an unavoidable public policy dimension here as well. It was only through concerted citizen action in Oregon (and two years ago, Colorado, which has yet to set up the requisite regulatory framework) that this incredible treatment finally became available to the general public — eliminating any extraneous fear of state punishment for mere consumption of the substance. The criminalization of altered states of consciousness really is a foul abomination, particularly when it has such powerful therapeutic potential.

    Cost can be onerous. All told, I paid around $1,500 for the service, which included the room, the facilitator, and the substance itself — although I ended up consuming less than the maximum amount of mushroom concentrate, so was amusingly handed $50 in cash at the conclusion of the session as a “refund.” This seemed outlandishly incongruous with the whole tenor of the experience. Still, it was a totally worthwhile expense, if only for the peace of mind brought by not needing to worry about the physiological integrity of what I was ingesting, or if the quantity was quite right, or any number of other ancillary concerns that could logistically complicate or even impair the experience. Instead, I could just relax.

    I wouldn’t be so arrogant as to presume that anyone should or shouldn’t do this, but I can confidently say that everyone should at least have the opportunity to make an informed choice about whether to do it. Almost immediately afterwards, I could feel the regeneration of neural pathways that had been seemingly dormant — consistent with research showing an increase of neuroplasticity from psilocybin consumption. I also took a relatively moderate dose, opting to treat myself as a total newcomer to the psychedelic enterprise. I’d taken psychedelics a handful of times in the past, but it was long enough ago (over 10 years) that the value of those experiences had become almost inaccessible in the recesses of my mind, even though they were very formative at the time.

    I’ve spent the last several days reflecting on the “trip,” with the rough aim of narrativizing it into something I can draw on during my ordinary modes of consciousness. This is definitely not a substance that I have any inclination to rush back and ingest again, but there’s comfort in knowing that it’s available — maybe in a year, maybe in five, maybe in ten, or maybe never. If I ever have the creeping intuition that my brain is being bogged down by the unwitting absorption of excess stimuli, it’s there. At least in Oregon. And soon Colorado. And maybe next to a Main Street near you?

    My entire (alleged) self feels re-enlivened. Amazingly, I am even eating better, and in more moderation. Or more “mindfully,” to use the popular jargon — which is only dismissible as “jargon” when you are unable to fully appreciate the true meaning of the term. I’ve been able to enjoy nature, thanks to the soaring coastal vistas of southern Oregon and far northern California, which add to the tranquility that has been mercifully re-established in my own head. My attention span has also noticeably improved.

    Here is the clinic I went to in Ashland, Oregon. The founder and owner, Andreas, picked up the phone the first time I cold-called and spoke to me for something like an hour. Those involved with this early-stage provision of psilocybin therapy are genuine pioneers in the alleviation of human suffering. Whatever small contribution I can make to furthering that noble project, I will do.
    https://www.mtracey.net/p/i-just-wen...he-first-legal
    Last edited by Fred Steeves, 3rd April 2024 at 13:59.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

    Socrates

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

    Aragorn (3rd April 2024), Gio (12th April 2024), Wind (3rd April 2024)

  9. #380
    Senior Member Fred Steeves's Avatar
    Join Date
    1st May 2016
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,695
    Thanks
    5,022
    Thanked 12,120 Times in 2,666 Posts
    Go on then - try not to laugh

    Name:  Try not to laugh.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  65.9 KB
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

    Socrates

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

    Aragorn (7th April 2024), Gio (12th April 2024)

  11. #381
    Senior Member Fred Steeves's Avatar
    Join Date
    1st May 2016
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,695
    Thanks
    5,022
    Thanked 12,120 Times in 2,666 Posts
    Ray Manzarek, keyboardist of "The Doors", takes us on a tour of Venice, California to very artfully describe how it all began. Master story teller IMO.

    From the comment section:

    "The Doors were educated men showing their talents. They were not a bunch of slobs that got lucky".
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

    Socrates

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

    Aragorn (12th April 2024), Gio (12th April 2024), Wind (12th April 2024)

  13. #382
    Senior Member Fred Steeves's Avatar
    Join Date
    1st May 2016
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,695
    Thanks
    5,022
    Thanked 12,120 Times in 2,666 Posts
    A video I made of the total solar eclipse that visited us here in East Tennessee in August 2017. Knoxville was in line for 99% total, but just a 50 mile jaunt to the south a little town named Sweetwater was smack dab in the bulls eye for as good as you were gonna get here in the States, so we took the day off and headed on down for the big show.

    And it was a big show, one of the most spectacular things I've seen in my now going on 58 years. A once in a lifetime experience more than likely, unless one has the gumption and the means to travel the world in order to witness this phenomena. For sure something I'll never forget.

    Notice the crickets come out too, it was mid afternoon - Street lights are seen to go on at 1:10/Back off at 5:30.

    The star spoken of is also seen bottomish screen from around 2:56 - 3:10.
    Last edited by Fred Steeves, 13th April 2024 at 02:47.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

    Socrates

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

    Aragorn (13th April 2024), Gio (13th April 2024), Wind (13th April 2024)

  15. #383
    Administrator Aragorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    17th March 2015
    Location
    Middle-Earth
    Posts
    20,304
    Thanks
    88,696
    Thanked 81,135 Times in 20,318 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    A video I made of the total solar eclipse that visited us here in East Tennessee in August 2017. Knoxville was in line for 99% total, but just a 50 mile jaunt to the south a little town named Sweetwater was smack dab in the bulls eye for as good as you were gonna get here in the States, so we took the day off and headed on down for the big show.

    And it was a big show, one of the most spectacular things I've seen in my now going on 58 years. A once in a lifetime experience more than likely, unless one has the gumption and the means to travel the world in order to witness this phenomena. For sure something I'll never forget.

    Notice the crickets come out too, it was mid afternoon - Street lights are seen to go on at 1:10/Back off at 5:30.

    The star spoken of is also seen bottomish screen from around 2:56 - 3:10.

    Well, that sure must be a surreal experience, going from broad daylight to night and back again in a matter of only a few minutes. And from what I've been told, one can then also feel a rapid change in the ambient temperature. It sure seems to confuse animals too.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

    Emil El Zapato (13th April 2024), Fred Steeves (13th April 2024), Wind (14th April 2024)

  17. #384
    Senior Member Emil El Zapato's Avatar
    Join Date
    3rd April 2017
    Location
    Earth I
    Posts
    12,248
    Thanks
    36,798
    Thanked 43,202 Times in 11,965 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Well, that sure must be a surreal experience, going from broad daylight to night and back again in a matter of only a few minutes. And from what I've been told, one can then also feel a rapid change in the ambient temperature. It sure seems to confuse animals too.
    lol, my cat didn't seem to know if it was supposed to go on the hunt or take a nap. He wisely chose to take a nap...
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

    Aragorn (13th April 2024), Wind (14th April 2024)

  19. #385
    Senior Member Fred Steeves's Avatar
    Join Date
    1st May 2016
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,695
    Thanks
    5,022
    Thanked 12,120 Times in 2,666 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Well, that sure must be a surreal experience, going from broad daylight to night and back again in a matter of only a few minutes. And from what I've been told, one can then also feel a rapid change in the ambient temperature. It sure seems to confuse animals too.
    Absolutely, it's bizarro world. And it makes me wonder what people centuries or millennia gone by must have been thinking, if 1) they didn't know it was coming, and 2) if they didn't even know what an eclipse was. I can only imagine it must have been utterly terrifying, thinking thoughts like the world is coming to an end or whatever. I certainly wouldn't blame them for having those thoughts.

    For me anyway, there was also a spiritual aspect to it. In one respect it's a stark reminder of how comparably insignificant we humans are, there was also a certain communal aspect in pausing your life to bear witness to this grand celestial event, while also bringing back up the wonder of how did the moon really just happen to be that precise distance from earth in perfectly matching the comparative size of the sun.

    A grand coincidence of monumental proportions? Or was it purposely placed into that particular orbit?
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

    Socrates

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

    Aragorn (13th April 2024), Wind (14th April 2024)

  21. #386
    Administrator Aragorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    17th March 2015
    Location
    Middle-Earth
    Posts
    20,304
    Thanks
    88,696
    Thanked 81,135 Times in 20,318 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    Absolutely, it's bizarro world. And it makes me wonder what people centuries or millennia gone by must have been thinking, if 1) they didn't know it was coming, and 2) if they didn't even know what an eclipse was. I can only imagine it must have been utterly terrifying, thinking thoughts like the world is coming to an end or whatever. I certainly wouldn't blame them for having those thoughts.
    Well, I would have to do my research — including down the memory lane of my elementary school years — but I imagine that this phenomenon will have made it into many religions and their respective scriptures over the aeons.

    If we even only look at the Abrahamic religions that we here in the West were brought up in, then there is for instance the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt, which led them to pass through the Red Sea, which parted in two to let them through and then closed again behind them so as to drown the Egyptian army in pursuit of them. And it was all beautifully and spectacularly portrayed in the epic movie "The Ten Commandments", with Charlton Heston as Moses — remarkable special effects for those days.

    But what did really happen there and then, now over 5 millennia ago? Did those Israelites just happen to catch an ebb moment on a stretch of land that would get flooded by the sea twice a day while the Egyptians were less lucky? And what was that column of fire they followed during the night, which supposedly turned into a column of white smoke during the day on their journey through the desert? At least, if the Old Testament and the Jewish scriptures sufficiently accurately describe what those people were seeing?

    And what about the Deluge, which Judaism simply took over from the Sumerian legends, and which Plato described as the fall of Atlantis — supposedly an allegory, but which could just as easily have been a genuine country or empire that perished in a tsunami? Tsunamis are real, as we very well know, and we've all witnessed them during our own lifetime.

    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    For me anyway, there was also a spiritual aspect to it. In one respect it's a stark reminder of how comparably insignificant we humans are, there was also a certain communal aspect in pausing your life to bear witness to this grand celestial event, while also bringing back up the wonder of how did the moon really just happen to be that precise distance from earth in perfectly matching the comparative size of the sun.

    A grand coincidence of monumental proportions? Or was it purposely placed into that particular orbit?
    You bring up two good points there. The first one is how an event such as this causes everyone to stop whatever they're doing — which emphasizes that there are forces and phenomena much bigger than our petty Earthly concerns — and the second one is whether there is such a thing as coincidence.

    Well, on account of the first one, there's an opportunity for developing a small sense of community and unity, right there, for however short a time it may be. But the moment was there, and everyone was experiencing the same thing, however briefly. I'd say that's a positive thing. For a short moment, there were no Democrats and Republicans, and it didn't matter whether you were white, black, yellow, brown, green, blue or purple. It didn't even matter whether you were human, feline, canine, avian, insectoid, reptilian, or amphibian.

    On account of your second point, well, it's all dictated by the laws of physics. The moon is where it is because it has that particular size, and due to the sun's gravity and Earth's gravity, it remains in a stable orbit around Earth, and also with that particular velocity that keeps it right where it is — even though it does wobble, because the distance between Earth and the moon does vary due to the moon's orbit being slightly elliptical, just as Earth's orbit around the sun is slightly elliptical.

    But that said, the question is officially still open as to whether math is real, or whether it's just something humanity has invented. In my personal opinion, math is very, very real, and I believe that it must be the product of a higher intelligence, even if said intelligence would be completely incomprehensible in comparison to what we ourselves consider intelligence and/or consciousness. Most likely, it is simply a purely logical and mathematical kind of consciousness, devoid of any ethical or emotional considerations — that's the part where we as individuated beings come in.

    And even though the lower echelons of mainstream science do still maintain that everything is merely a coincidence and that free will is real, it is surprisingly the high-brow science of Albert Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity which dictates that the future is, indeed, already written in stone, just as neurological research has shown that our brains are already settling on one choice over the other before we become conscious of making the choice, and that therefore, true free will does not exist.

    It's the math that put the moon where it is, and that put Earth where it is, and that put the sun where it is. But math is a language. So, no, it isn't a coincidence, even though many more (and partial) eclipses are happening all the time across the globe.

    All the ingredients are there for science and spirituality to meet. But it's not in L. Ron Hubbard's phantasms that they'd be doing it.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

    Fred Steeves (13th April 2024), Wind (14th April 2024)

  23. #387
    Senior Member Fred Steeves's Avatar
    Join Date
    1st May 2016
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,695
    Thanks
    5,022
    Thanked 12,120 Times in 2,666 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    On account of your second point, well, it's all dictated by the laws of physics. The moon is where it is because it has that particular size, and due to the sun's gravity and Earth's gravity, it remains in a stable orbit around Earth, and also with that particular velocity that keeps it right where it is — even though it does wobble, because the distance between Earth and the moon does vary due to the moon's orbit being slightly elliptical, just as Earth's orbit around the sun is slightly elliptical.

    But that said, the question is officially still open as to whether math is real, or whether it's just something humanity has invented. In my personal opinion, math is very, very real, and I believe that it must be the product of a higher intelligence, even if said intelligence would be completely incomprehensible in comparison to what we ourselves consider intelligence and/or consciousness. Most likely, it is simply a purely logical and mathematical kind of consciousness, devoid of any ethical or emotional considerations — that's the part where we as individuated beings come in.

    And even though the lower echelons of mainstream science do still maintain that everything is merely a coincidence and that free will is real, it is surprisingly the high-brow science of Albert Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity which dictates that the future is, indeed, already written in stone, just as neurological research has shown that our brains are already settling on one choice over the other before we become conscious of making the choice, and that therefore, true free will does not exist.

    It's the math that put the moon where it is, and that put Earth where it is, and that put the sun where it is. But math is a language. So, no, it isn't a coincidence, even though many more (and partial) eclipses are happening all the time across the globe.
    Of course it's the math, in the end all touch and all we see can be boiled down to a mathematical equation. Now you can either roll with this or not, but the memory I still have branded into my brain, after 40 years now concerning this, is from the first time I ever did LSD. Some time into 17 year old Fred's trip, somehow it just came to me in a flash the knowledge of the inner workings of how the universe operates in unison like a well oiled machine from the largest, right down to the tiniest minutia. But the kicker was that this intimate knowledge visited in the form of a mathematical equation. And it wasn't in one of these complex chalk board equations that we see in some movies, scribbled out by some genius with a 200 IQ, it was so short simple and profound that I seriously though to grab pen and paper to write it out.

    Now here's the thing though. It was such a simple and profound realization that I thought surely there's no reason to write it down, because this little equation is so simple it would be like forgetting my name to forget it, so no need. Then LOL it was gone a minute later, doh! So who knows what would really have been shown had I actually gone ahead and written it out, it may have been something, or it may have just been chicken scratch from a kid tripping on acid under the hallucination that he was just suddenly gifted with a flash of insight; however, whatever it really was, it deeply instilled in me the notion of every bit of our reality is at its root core, a mathematical equation.

    So that's the long version of saying I'm with you.

    However, I will quibble around a bit with you on math and the moon. Sure the distance, orbits and all are the result of mathematic equations, but how did this equation just happen to be that the moon is precisely the distance from earth it would have to be, in order to get the perfect eclipse as viewed from earth when the moon comes in between the earth and the moon? A little farther away and parts of the actual sun never get covered, a little closer, and the moon begins to just blot out the whole darn thing. Either way for instance, we'd never be able to view the corona as my video nicely demonstrated.

    Who's to say that this mathematical intelligence didn't purposely chose for the moon to be right there at that particular distance, for this exact reason? Or hell man, it could have even be spectacularly advanced beings that decided to up and physically move it there themselves for some purpose. Maybe there's more to it than meets the eye, just like we still don't know the exact purpose of the pyramids, or how they were built.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

    Socrates

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

    Aragorn (13th April 2024), Wind (14th April 2024)

  25. #388
    Administrator Aragorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    17th March 2015
    Location
    Middle-Earth
    Posts
    20,304
    Thanks
    88,696
    Thanked 81,135 Times in 20,318 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    Of course it's the math, in the end all touch and all we see can be boiled down to a mathematical equation. Now you can either roll with this or not, but the memory I still have branded into my brain, after 40 years now concerning this, is from the first time I ever did LSD. Some time into 17 year old Fred's trip, somehow it just came to me in a flash the knowledge of the inner workings of how the universe operates in unison like a well oiled machine from the largest, right down to the tiniest minutia. But the kicker was that this intimate knowledge visited in the form of a mathematical equation. And it wasn't in one of these complex chalk board equations that we see in some movies, scribbled out by some genius with a 200 IQ, it was so short simple and profound that I seriously though to grab pen and paper to write it out.

    Now here's the thing though. It was such a simple and profound realization that I thought surely there's no reason to write it down, because this little equation is so simple it would be like forgetting my name to forget it, so no need. Then LOL it was gone a minute later, doh! So who knows what would really have been shown had I actually gone ahead and written it out, it may have been something, or it may have just been chicken scratch from a kid tripping on acid under the hallucination that he was just suddenly gifted with a flash of insight; however, whatever it really was, it deeply instilled in me the notion of every bit of our reality is at its root core, a mathematical equation.
    Don't you now wish you had written it down?

    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    So that's the long version of saying I'm with you.

    However, I will quibble around a bit with you on math and the moon. Sure the distance, orbits and all are the result of mathematic equations, but how did this equation just happen to be that the moon is precisely the distance from earth it would have to be, in order to get the perfect eclipse as viewed from earth when the moon comes in between the earth and the moon? A little farther away and parts of the actual sun never get covered, a little closer, and the moon begins to just blot out the whole darn thing. Either way for instance, we'd never be able to view the corona as my video nicely demonstrated.
    Well, not every eclipse is like that, because the moon does wobble in its orbit around Earth. Sometimes it's closer to Earth, and sometimes it's farther away from Earth. And eclipses can be partial as well, depending on whether the moon is at a different latitude with regard to the sun or not. I've seen partial eclipses myself in the past, when I was still in high school.

    Every once in a while, you do get a perfect eclipse, as was the case now, but even then, that was only in North America now. It was not a perfect eclipse in Europe, Africa, Asia or Australia. And by the same token, it could have been in the middle of the Atlantic or in the middle of the Pacific, and then the rest of the world would have seen only a partial eclipse.

    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    Who's to say that this mathematical intelligence didn't purposely chose for the moon to be right there at that particular distance, for this exact reason? Or hell man, it could have even be spectacularly advanced beings that decided to up and physically move it there themselves for some purpose. Maybe there's more to it than meets the eye, just like we still don't know the exact purpose of the pyramids, or how they were built.
    I am not excluding the possibility that this intelligence — whatever it is — may have set things up as they are with the purpose of communicating something to the Earth-dwellers.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

    Emil El Zapato (13th April 2024), Wind (14th April 2024)

  27. #389
    Senior Member Emil El Zapato's Avatar
    Join Date
    3rd April 2017
    Location
    Earth I
    Posts
    12,248
    Thanks
    36,798
    Thanked 43,202 Times in 11,965 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    It's the math that put the moon where it is, and that put Earth where it is, and that put the sun where it is. But math is a language. So, no, it isn't a coincidence, even though many more (and partial) eclipses are happening all the time across the globe.
    Given a cosmic blink of an eye, the moon will be gone...
    Last edited by Wind, 14th April 2024 at 02:02. Reason: Shortened the quote
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

    Wind (14th April 2024)

  29. #390
    Senior Member Emil El Zapato's Avatar
    Join Date
    3rd April 2017
    Location
    Earth I
    Posts
    12,248
    Thanks
    36,798
    Thanked 43,202 Times in 11,965 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Emil El Zapato View Post
    Given a cosmic blink of an eye, the moon will be gone...
    I'm reading the book Gio suggested by Dan Ariely - Misbelief. I just dood an intellectual faux pas. On the scale of Intellectual humility conspiracy prone people will score very low on this scale. In other words, they think they are smarter than anyone else. I was reasonably high on the scale (for humility) but then on another measure, the question is asked regarding Cognitive Reflectivity. I missed the first two (embarrassingly badly) after the smack to the head I got 1 out of two and then on a rethought got the 2nd one correct. Anywho, the moral of the story is that before the moon can get away it will likely be consumed by the expanded Red Sun, probably in about 5 billion years. Another marker for conspiracy belief is the tendency to 'misremember' or even makeup facts. I swear I read a different version of the previous scientific 'fact'. Oh the shame, the shame. I would chalk it up to old age, but that is another no-no, justifying reasoning. I can't win because of another rabbit-hole inducement ... stress.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •