Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Laptop From Hell

Thanks
    Thanked 43,167 Times in 11,949 Posts
    Reference: big ouch ...

Coming from that "Republican paper" ...

I wonder if Maher even reads biased news whether right or left. My guess is his production advisers give him all kinds of left dirt so he can keep the righties fans listening. The following article was published by the New York Times and god knows what the timeline was but it's fair to say 'A long times ago'. Right and Left news outlets have very different priorities. The left will not publish unsubstantiated rumors. The right thrives on them if it references the left.

Published Dec. 9, 2020
    Updated Aug. 13, 2021

Hunter Biden Discloses He Is Focus of Federal Tax Inquiry

Mr. Biden said Justice Department prosecutors in Delaware had said they were examining his “tax affairs.”

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department is investigating the tax affairs of President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr.’s son Hunter, he disclosed in a statement on Wednesday.

The investigation is being led by the U.S. attorney’s office in Delaware. It was opened in late 2018 and has included inquiries into potential criminal violations of tax and money laundering laws, according to people familiar with the inquiry. The money laundering aspect of the case failed to gain traction after F.B.I. agents were unable to gather enough evidence for a prosecution, the people said.

“I learned yesterday for the first time that the U.S. attorney’s office in Delaware advised my legal counsel, also yesterday, that they are investigating my tax affairs,” Hunter Biden said in a statement. “I take this matter very seriously, but I am confident that a professional and objective review of these matters will demonstrate that I handled my affairs legally and appropriately, including with the benefit of professional tax advisers.”

The inquiry was focused on Hunter Biden and some of his associates, not the president-elect or other family members, two people familiar with it said. On Tuesday, prosecutors in Delaware served subpoenas, including at least one that sought information related to Hunter Biden’s taxes, two people familiar with the matter said.

The disclosure of the federal investigation seems certain to exacerbate the politically tense relationship between the departing Trump White House and the incoming Biden administration. The timing means it is possible that one of the last decisions of the Trump Justice Department could be about a potential case against the son of the incoming president, if investigators uncover enough evidence to go forward.

It also means that Mr. Biden will most likely come into office as the Justice Department is actively investigating his son, a case his political opponents are certain to seize on to try to damage the early days of his presidency.

The investigation could also complicate Mr. Biden’s efforts to instill public confidence that the department can operate independent of the personal interests of the president after it became deeply politicized under President Trump. Last week, Mr. Biden said that establishing separation between the department and the White House was a top priority.

“I’m not going to be telling them what they have to do and don’t have to do. I’m not going to be saying go prosecute A, B or C,” Mr. Biden said in an interview with CNN. “It’s not my Justice Department. It’s the people’s Justice Department.”

Spokeswomen for the Justice Department and the U.S. attorney’s office in Delaware declined to comment on the investigation. Hunter Biden’s lawyer did not respond to messages seeking comment.

The tax issues came to the attention of F.B.I. agents after they opened the money laundering investigation into Hunter Biden’s financial affairs in late 2018, under the attorney general at the time, Jeff Sessions, according to several people familiar with the inquiry.

What prompted the F.B.I. inquiry remains unclear. Former law enforcement officials said that though the money-laundering aspect of the inquiry appears to have died out, investigators with the Internal Revenue Service continued to examine Mr. Biden’s taxes.

By early 2017, Mr. Biden and his first wife, Kathleen, who were then estranged, owed $313,970 in taxes, and had “maxed-out credit-card debt” and “double mortgages on both real properties they own,” according to a filing she submitted in their divorce.

The next year, the I.R.S. issued a lien against the pair, who were by then divorced, for $112,805 in unpaid taxes from 2015. Those taxes appear to have been paid off by March of this year, when the lien was released.

Separately, the city government of Washington, D.C., where Mr. Biden had lived, issued liens against him in July totaling nearly $454,000 for unpaid taxes from 2017 and 2018. Those liens were released less than one week later, according to tax records.

Mr. Biden has long been an intense target of Mr. Trump and his allies over the range of business ventures he pursued around the world during his father’s time as vice president and beyond.

He was paid $50,000 a month or more to serve on the board of Burisma, a Ukrainian energy company owned by an oligarch who was widely seen as corrupt, advised a wealthy Romanian business executive facing corruption charges and invested in a private equity fund linked to the Chinese government.

Mr. Trump’s impeachment centered on allegations that he abused his powers over American foreign policy in part to damage the Biden campaign by pressuring the government of Ukraine to announce an investigation into Hunter Biden’s dealings there. The Republican-led Senate acquitted the president in February.

Mr. Biden and a group of partners — including his uncle James Biden, the president-elect’s brother — were also involved in negotiations about a joint venture with a Chinese energy and finance company called CEFC China Energy in 2017, documents provided by a jilted former business partner show.

While the deal appears to have fizzled, an investigation by Republican-controlled Senate committees found that a subsidiary of CEFC transferred $100,000 in August 2017 to a law firm controlled by Hunter Biden. The transaction was flagged as suspicious, according to the report produced by the Republican investigation, which cited an unspecified “confidential document.” A Senate aide said it was a U.S. government record but would not describe it further.

The Republican report, which was released weeks before Election Day in an apparent effort to damage the Biden campaign, found no evidence of improper influence or wrongdoing by the former vice president.

Efforts by Mr. Trump and his supporters to damage Mr. Biden’s presidential campaign took on new urgency in October after The New York Post published reports based on files from a laptop that appeared to have belonged to Hunter Biden. The Post, which obtained materials from Mr. Trump’s personal lawyer Rudolph W. Giuliani, reported that the laptop had been seized by the F.B.I.

“We’ve got to get the attorney general to act,” Mr. Trump said in an interview on “Fox & Friends” after the Post article was published. “He’s got to act fast. He’s got to appoint somebody. This is major corruption, and this has to be known about before the election.”

A Republican congressman, Representative Ken Buck of Colorado, called on the Justice Department on Wednesday to appoint a special counsel. “This needs to be investigated free from political interference,” he said on Twitter. “No matter who is in the White House.”

The Biden team has rejected some of the claims made in the Post articles, but has not disputed the authenticity of the files upon which they were based.

A computer repair shop owner in Wilmington, Del., named John Paul Mac Isaac has said Hunter Biden left a damaged Apple computer at his store in April 2019 and asked him to recover any data. Mr. Isaac said that Mr. Biden filled out a work order and identified himself as Hunter Biden, and that he came to his shop twice but never returned to retrieve the computer or an external hard drive on which its contents had been stored.

As part of the F.B.I.’s closely held money-laundering investigation into Mr. Biden, agents working with federal prosecutors in Delaware authorized a federal grand jury subpoena and obtained the laptop and an external hard drive. People familiar with the examination said that the F.B.I. examined the laptop but that its contents did not advance the money-laundering investigation.

Before giving it to the F.B.I., Mr. Isaac said in an interview in October, he copied the contents of the external hard drive, which were later provided to Mr. Giuliani, who claimed the laptop showed evidence of corruption by Mr. Biden.

Mr. Trump and his allies openly pressed the Justice Department to disclose negative information about Mr. Biden ahead of the election, but investigators did not make overt moves that would have exposed the investigation before the ballots were cast.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (2nd April 2022), Gio (3rd April 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,468 Times in 10,173 Posts

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Gio (3rd April 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aianawa View Post
    C'mon, Aianawa. Joe and Hunter are just trying to bring democracy to other countries.
    Last edited by Aragorn, 3rd April 2022 at 13:19. Reason: fixed quoting bug
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (2nd April 2022), Gio (3rd April 2022)

Thanks
    Yes Moddy they are doing a marvelous job of bringing that to yet another country, impressive realllly, look at the woke countries doing so well and all their people so so happy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

modwiz (3rd April 2022)

Thanks
    So happy to see neither being defended laptop wise, we are growing i feel, my surprise is the multipill prongs from many places, both left rite n middle saying why did we not know these things in real time, wee bit like the phizzer monthly data dumps having many in power saying who knew this in real time, so is this our new normal ? hearing the truth of our recent past that previousely only a few seem to be read into ?, BNC do you still believe it is not kosher ?.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,393 Times in 1,104 Posts
    EXCLUSIVE: Whistleblower who handed Hunter's abandoned laptop to congressmen and DailyMail.com reveals he has 450 gigabytes of DELETED material including 80,000 images and videos - and has fled to Switzerland fearing retaliation from White House

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...itzerland.html
    Sometimes God shines his magic light beam from outer space, and it works in mysterious ways.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleLama For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th April 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by PurpleLama View Post
    EXCLUSIVE: Whistleblower who handed Hunter's abandoned laptop to congressmen and DailyMail.com reveals he has 450 gigabytes of DELETED material including 80,000 images and videos - and has fled to Switzerland fearing retaliation from White House

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...itzerland.html
    That doesn't sound a little 'funky' to you?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th April 2022)

Thanks
    Happiness is funky, add some joy and a sprinkle of laughter plus a dollop of thankfullllness = our beautifullll world is evolving joyfully, hope biden junior has the help he needs and his father gets to retire asap for everyone's best interests.

mmmm who would replace him ?.

Like noone likes kam kam and she was not born in USA ?, feel pelosi would be xlent but likely the 44th president but can he do it again legalllly ?.

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aianawa View Post
    Happiness is funky, add some joy and a sprinkle of laughter plus a dollop of thankfullllness = our beautifullll world is evolving joyfully, hope biden junior has the help he needs and his father gets to retire asap for everyone's best interests.

mmmm who would replace him ?.

Like noone likes kam kam and she was not born in USA ?, feel pelosi would be xlent but likely the 44th president but can he do it again legalllly ?.
    buttigieg is my choice, he was actually my 1st choice last time but I knew it wouldn't happen. The Texas dude would have been ok, a little over the top though ... I prefer the booty.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th April 2022)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    The laptop story seems to be a good distraction from the missing hours of the President's phone logs, the ongoing testimony of folks who now include Ivanka and Jared, and all the other scandals emerging.

The provenance of it and the lack of care as it was passed around makes it really really sketchy.

But the story is a great distraction.

An open and now admitted coup was attempted, and so a nice shiny distraction is in order.

imo.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th April 2022), Emil El Zapato (8th April 2022), Fred Steeves (8th April 2022), Wind (8th April 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,089 Times in 2,652 Posts
    Any reason we can't walk and chew gum at the same time? I'm curious about corruption coming from any and every source in the U.S. government, not just one, if there's smoke billowing from the Biden camp then logic dictates that should be looked into as well.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th April 2022), Aragorn (8th April 2022), PurpleLama (9th April 2022), Wind (8th April 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 81,099 Times in 20,304 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    The laptop story seems to be a good distraction from the missing hours of the President's phone logs, the ongoing testimony of folks who now include Ivanka and Jared, and all the other scandals emerging.

The provenance of it and the lack of care as it was passed around makes it really really sketchy.

But the story is a great distraction.

An open and now admitted coup was attempted, and so a nice shiny distraction is in order.

imo.
    Any reason we can't walk and chew gum at the same time? I'm curious about corruption coming from any and every source in the U.S. government, not just one, if there's smoke billowing from the Biden camp then logic dictates that should be looked into as well.
    I don't think Dreamtimer will disagree with that, Gracy Fred () — sorry, I couldn't resist causing some ripples to fan out across the interforum pond — but I believe her somewhat knee-jerking reaction above comes from the fact that primarily between 2016 and 2020, there was and is an onto this day still persistent climate of seeing corruption among the Democratic camp even where there was none — cfr. the Pizzagate™ hoax — while being completely blind to any and all corruption within the Benito Trumpolini administration.

Therefore, to my eyes, your rhetorical question here-above is somewhat analogous to His Imperial Highness Ceasar Billzebub's "All lives matter" response to the name of the Black Lives Matter movement. Or perhaps otherwise put, yes, ultimately all corruption should be investigated, condemned and banned, just as ultimately, all racial discrimination is evil and all human life should be respected, but there is a reason as to why Black Lives Matter was named that way, namely that apparently in the US, black lives do not matter all that much.

As such, Dreamtimer has a point that the sudden immense focus among the news media — and especially among those of a right-wing persuasion — on Hunter Biden's laptop provides for a convenient distraction from the dirt that hasn't been properly cleaned up yet, namely that of a by voter turnout ousted former US president who had a significant hand in an attempted coup d'état against his own country, in which several people — insurgents and police officers alike — lost their lives, while half of the US Congress refuses to condemn and/or investigate said former president's own corruption — cfr. the two official impeachments that led to nothing — and the degree of said former president's responsibility in the aforementioned coup d'état, simply because he's "one of them" (i.e. the Republican Party).

The USA has always been a country where some animals are more equal than others — cfr. the earlier coup d'état by Republican Senator Prescott Bush and the military-industrial complex that was awarded impunity. Until this problem of selective justice has been remedied, it's only a race between two contestants trying to get to the finish line first by running in circles.

And that's why I generally stay out of threads like these. See what I did there?
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th April 2022), Emil El Zapato (8th April 2022), Fred Steeves (8th April 2022), Octopus Garden (30th April 2022), PurpleLama (9th April 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 7,282 Posts
    There has been many hoaxes, the Pizzagate hoax, Russian collusion hoax etc. It's basically a mudslinging contest between two parties, liberal and conservative values and it's tearing the whole nation apart. Obviously the two-party system alone is very problematic, but so is the whole system I would say. By that I mean the military industrial complex and the businesses and oligarchs which rule the American empire through corruption. Meanwhile the people are being placed against each other and it works like a charm. It will be catastrophic.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th April 2022), Aragorn (9th April 2022), Emil El Zapato (8th April 2022), Fred Steeves (8th April 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,089 Times in 2,652 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    the fact that primarily between 2016 and 2020, there was and is an onto this day still persistent climate of seeing corruption among the Democratic camp even where there was none — cfr. the Pizzagate™ hoax — while being completely blind to any and all corruption within the Benito Trumpolini administration.
    I think we may be talking apples and oranges here. It looks like you're talking about daily servings over at Alt Right Central next door, while I'm talking about the daily servings from mainstream media in general (minus FOX NEWS, OAN and Newsmax). What I've been looking at is the 3 year official Mueller version of "Russia Gate", 2 impeachment proceedings, and presently the January 6th investigation.

Other than the 3 right wing outlets above, it seems like nothing but Trump investigations for 6 straight years now, while the original surfacing of possible Biden misdeeds was all but systematically scrubbed from public view, much like the sexual assault charge against him.

Half the country has been obsessed for those 6 years to finally see the hammer fall on Captain Chaos, come hell or high water, so it's understandable that anything else along these lines would be seen as a distraction to that end.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th April 2022), Aragorn (9th April 2022), PurpleLama (9th April 2022), Wind (8th April 2022)

Thanks
    Your good at explaining imo the obvious FG, so a question Freddy G 4U, would pelosi do as well as biden has done if she were put in charge due to bidens sons behaviour or his own ?.