Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Left In America

Thanks
    Thanked 7,393 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Thanks, chuckie, but I watched parts of the hearing. It is not a mischaracterization, I am taking what she has said, not what others have said about what she said. Her own words are plenty by which to judge her position.
    Sometimes God shines his magic light beam from outer space, and it works in mysterious ways.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PurpleLama For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th March 2022), Dreamtimer (25th March 2022), Emil El Zapato (23rd March 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,177 Times in 11,952 Posts
    ok, the only two things I found questionable are her awareness or lack thereof of 'Critical Race Theory'. It was a little dodgy but during the questioning, my first thought was that there exists a delineation between public and private educational institutions. But, in effect, what she said was true. The other thing is that she is married to a white guy. I have nothing against miscegenation but I would question the 'purity' of a Supreme Court Justice in that circumstance. My point is that I think a black person that is wedded to a white person are likely to be more authoritarian in the fashion of Clarence Thomas the conservative jurist. Not to mention her family has been associated with law enforcement for decades. Of course, those 'feelings' run directly contrary to what the unsavory likes of Lindsey Graham and Ted Cruz were arguing.

Incidentally, the only way that I can see that you heard the words from her mouth would have required you to be present? If you have a source that shows the exact circumstances as alluded to by Cruz please post it up and I'll watch it and make my own decision. It could very well end up with us in agreement.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th March 2022), Dreamtimer (25th March 2022), PurpleLama (23rd March 2022)

Thanks

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NswAGPG6wYo

Go to 23:30 in the video, NAP. I do not think it is a mischaracterization to say that she is arguing against a sentencing enhancement that exists for people who use a computer to consume or distribute cp. I personally would argue that sentencing should be harsher in the face of the fact that it is far easier to produce, distribute, and consume such material, and also the fact that this is occuring on a staggering scale which was impossible when we were young.
    Last edited by Aragorn, 24th March 2022 at 06:39. Reason: fixed your video
    Sometimes God shines his magic light beam from outer space, and it works in mysterious ways.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PurpleLama For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th March 2022), Dreamtimer (25th March 2022), Emil El Zapato (24th March 2022), Gio (24th March 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by PurpleLama View Post

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NswAGPG6wYo

Go to 23:30 in the video, NAP. I do not think it is a mischaracterization to say that she is arguing against a sentencing enhancement that exists for people who use a computer to consume or distribute cp. I personally would argue that sentencing should be harsher in the face of the fact that it is far easier to produce, distribute, and consume such material, and also the fact that this is occuring on a staggering scale which was impossible when we were young.
    yeah, you're correct, I never actually saw this exchange ... I still have to watch the entire thing to get the full context but it seems to be a question of the classic right/left approach to crime. It's interesting that historically it was exactly within this context that Bill/Hillary Clinton were essentially forced into a corner to take a hard stance against black American crimes, so years down the road the right could use it against them claiming they were hate-mongers, this is part and parcel of the right's typical game.

But Jackson is not a politician, she is a jurist and a very logical and rational one I would say. I still think it might be unfair to generalize anything she might do because her decisions include a concern for both victim and perpetrator. And why not? We have literally centuries of lopsided criminal sentences against 'victimless' crimes such as drug use. The court system has consistently and almost without failure levied statistically and significantly harsher penalties against people of color. Why not inject a little justice into the law? It's my opinion that Jackson as a jurist is doing an ethical service to humanity by TRULY considering each case as an individual transgression and adjudicates a proportionally just penalty. What more could we ask of a legal system?

Incidentally, Lindsey Graham is an utterly hypocritical asshole with what I would call a 'Let's hang the n*gger' mentality. Southern gentleman turned redneck landowner. He certainly is the 'archetype' for that memic tragedy. There is so much to despise about the GOP so I will be about my business of doing so.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (25th March 2022), Gio (24th March 2022)

Thanks
    There is much to despise about partisan politics in general. As long as one is more willing to point out problems with one side, and not the other, one is missing half the picture.

What I see so far with the Jackson nomination is a judge who is only willing to apply interpretation on to the law in one direction. This may make for a good judge in some instances, but not in others, and therefore she is perhaps not a good fit for the SC in general. My assessment is open to change, but I am not confident, thus far, in this nomination. The issue around sentencing for cp is a bit of a stopper, for me, and given the conspiracy theories turned facts around the biden family pedo problems, one might wonder at the real motives behind her nomination.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PurpleLama For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (25th March 2022), Emil El Zapato (24th March 2022), Gio (24th March 2022)

Thanks
    There is much to despise about partisan politics in general. As long as one is more willing to point out problems with one side, and not the other, one is missing half the picture.

What I see so far with the Jackson nomination is a judge who is only willing to apply interpretation on to the law in one direction. This may make for a good judge in some instances, but not in others, and therefore she is perhaps not a good fit for the SC in general. My assessment is open to change, but I am not confident, thus far, in this nomination. The issue around sentencing for cp is a bit of a stopper, for me, and given the conspiracy theories turned facts around the biden family pedo problems, one might wonder at the real motives behind her nomination.
    omigod, ok, but there is no pedo problem in the Biden family. That is purely conspiracy theory stuff.

a couple of personal questions if you're willing ... Are you American and I have always been curious where you got your name? Can I assume that you are 100% white anglo saxon?

I'm 10% llama from Peru.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (25th March 2022), Gio (24th March 2022), PurpleLama (24th March 2022), Wind (25th March 2022)

Thanks
    I am a Mississippi boy, and is anyone around here 100% anything? I have scottish, irish, french and native american ancestry, and I am sure there is some english in there, too. Irl I go by my middle name, which is Reilly.

So you are still in denial about the biden family, ok then, lol. You ought to check out the laptop, and ashley's diary. These things have come out as legitimate, although the laptop stuff was fairly solid, early on, as all the photos were certainly of him, and some of those photos also featured child prostitutes. Such material is not for the faint of heart.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PurpleLama For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (25th March 2022), Emil El Zapato (24th March 2022), Gio (24th March 2022), Wind (25th March 2022)

Thanks
    I am a Mississippi boy, and is anyone around here 100% anything? I have scottish, irish, french and native american ancestry, and I am sure there is some english in there, too. Irl I go by my middle name, which is Reilly.

So you are still in denial about the biden family, ok then, lol. You ought to check out the laptop, and ashley's diary. These things have come out as legitimate, although the laptop stuff was fairly solid, early on, as all the photos were certainly of him, and some of those photos also featured child prostitutes. Such material is not for the faint of heart.
    yeah, maybe. On the other hand I looked everywhere for the content/context of the NY Times story about that laptop. I never found it, perhaps you can help me? And then we can continue the discussion. A problem I always have with Fred is that he doesn't subscribe to consensus reality so we are constantly linguistically always bypassing each other. If we can establish common ground for the discussion it might prove fruitful.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (25th March 2022)

Thanks
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/all-the...en-11647637814

From the editorial board of the Wall Street Journal. I have not read the article, yet, as I had seen the confirmation from other avenues. But, I knew from the get go it was real, given many items on the laptop being confirmed pre-2020 election. The whole thing was a cover-up from the msm.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PurpleLama For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (25th March 2022), Emil El Zapato (24th March 2022), Gio (24th March 2022), Wind (24th March 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,482 Times in 7,284 Posts
    What about Trump's connection to Epstein, nothing shady there? I don't think there were any pee tapes though.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (25th March 2022), Emil El Zapato (24th March 2022), Gio (24th March 2022), PurpleLama (24th March 2022)

Thanks
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/all-the...en-11647637814

From the editorial board of the Wall Street Journal. I have not read the article, yet, as I had seen the confirmation from other avenues. But, I knew from the get go it was real, given many items on the laptop being confirmed pre-2020 election. The whole thing was a cover-up from the msm.
    Before I click the link, I will just state that I started reading the Wall Street Journal when I was 18, just a student worker with nothing better to do. They reported mostly on economic matters, such as the price of coffee and the price of marijuana. At one point coffee was more expensive.

But sadly, now it is owned by the False Profit, Rupert Murdoch. So the tale continues.

Here is a stranger than fiction story I stumbled on: (I have an obsessive fear of plane crashes and always watch "Mayday" on youtube.)

David Koch, of the depraved Koch Brothers corporate business empire, was on a plane flight that crashed on landing at LAX a number of years ago. The emergency exits were blocked and everyone was trying to escape from the back end of the plane. Many of them died there huddled at the tail end of the plane. Koch in serendipitous fashion stumbled to the front of the plane and was able to escape from the galley portion of the plane because it had cracked open upon impact. He alerted no one on the plane, he just jumped to safety. He stated that he felt guilty for not trying to alert anyone but felt better about himself thinking that he probably just would have been overcome by the smoke and died if he had tried to help anyone.

David H. Koch, a rightist corporate political icon. And incidentally, I was just out for a walk and got pooped on by a bird for the umpteenth time. Birds don't like me I reckon. What would one expect from those damn GOP loving birds.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (25th March 2022), PurpleLama (24th March 2022), Wind (24th March 2022)

Thanks
    I pulled the WSJ because it was literally the first link when I used Brave search for "nytimes hunter laptop". NYT were the first to come out and say that they knew it was legit. Also, I did not realize the full article was behind a paywall when I posted it, my apologies.

To answer Wind, there may be something to the Trump/Epstein connection. I recall that T was in the black book that got published years ago, and conveniently that page seemed to be missing when it resurfaced during the Trump admin. Epstein and whoever he worked for doubtlessly have their tentacles in both sides of US politics. Nevermind the fact that T was president when Epstein was suicided in a maximum security prison. Personally, I think it was a double that was killed and Epstein had some plastic surgery done in order to keep living his best life on some tropical island somewhere.

As for pee tapes, that, the steele dossier, and everything else around russiagate was so much garbage, like so much it was a distraction to keep people divided, as folks tend to follow their own biases. All it was for me was the final nail in the coffin of media credibility.

I don't naturally love or hate any politician, I don't tend to hero worship anyone in the political class (or otherwise), rather I try to take them on their own record. Trump in his personality is quite odious to a lot of people, and most of the people who see him that way will not see anything he did or tried to do as a positive thing. For me, at least he was relatively incompetent as a gov't official, and the less effective the gov't is in any given circumstance, the better it tends to be for the citizens involved.

We are veering pretty far off topic, as this thread isn't about the previous US admin.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PurpleLama For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (25th March 2022), Emil El Zapato (24th March 2022), Fred Steeves (24th March 2022), Wind (24th March 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,096 Times in 2,656 Posts
    We are veering pretty far off topic, as this thread isn't about the previous US admin.
    To be expected. When I first started this thread, it was already a foregone conclusion that soon enough it would be flipped on it's head and used as yet another vehicle to lash out at republicans, the right, and of course orange Jesus who broke so many brains.

Like the old saying "all roads lead to Rome".
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

PurpleLama (24th March 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    To be expected. When I first started this thread, it was already a foregone conclusion that soon enough it would be flipped on it's head and used as yet another vehicle to lash out at republicans, the right, and of course orange Jesus who broke so many brains.

Like the old saying "all roads lead to Rome".
    Trump was the point, Fred ... as usual you missed it by a country mile. Trump is off topic as well as being off his nut.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I pulled the WSJ because it was literally the first link when I used Brave search for "nytimes hunter laptop". NYT were the first to come out and say that they knew it was legit. Also, I did not realize the full article was behind a paywall when I posted it, my apologies.

To answer Wind, there may be something to the Trump/Epstein connection. I recall that T was in the black book that got published years ago, and conveniently that page seemed to be missing when it resurfaced during the Trump admin. Epstein and whoever he worked for doubtlessly have their tentacles in both sides of US politics. Nevermind the fact that T was president when Epstein was suicided in a maximum security prison. Personally, I think it was a double that was killed and Epstein had some plastic surgery done in order to keep living his best life on some tropical island somewhere.

As for pee tapes, that, the steele dossier, and everything else around russiagate was so much garbage, like so much it was a distraction to keep people divided, as folks tend to follow their own biases. All it was for me was the final nail in the coffin of media credibility.

I don't naturally love or hate any politician, I don't tend to hero worship anyone in the political class (or otherwise), rather I try to take them on their own record. Trump in his personality is quite odious to a lot of people, and most of the people who see him that way will not see anything he did or tried to do as a positive thing. For me, at least he was relatively incompetent as a gov't official, and the less effective the gov't is in any given circumstance, the better it tends to be for the citizens involved.

Oh, I get it, I searched for a good while and finally found 'maybe' the times article the right is going ecstatic about. I read this story months ago and sort of disregarded it because most of the article's content regarded tax considerations. But on paragraph 24 there is a statement 'alluding' to the laptop. (which another article stated was the paragraph where the revelation occurred... by divine revelation no doubt). There is no verification that the legal verification is predicated on the purported laptop's contents. I clicked the link and would need to pay to get the follow-up story. End of the story so far.

The article I read was dated March 16, 2022 (I thought for sure it had to be 2021 but I rechecked) and there was no indication of a reprint. I still find it somewhat questionable that the NY Times hasn't recently responded to the accusation of conspiring to hide the truth from the public. Either they are completely unaware of the accusation because virtually the only place any references can be found is on right wing news outlets or they are guilty of hiding the truth from the public. Anywho, as I always say, "We shall see!"

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post: