Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fred/Gracy Affair, and the Inter-Forum Aftermath Thereof

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    First of all, nothing has been deleted here.
    Aragorn, thank you for your very lengthy detailed reply. But you could have saved yourself a lot of time, because many of the points you were making were not criticisms that I or Fred or anyone else I could see were actually levelling at you. I don't the anyone here was accusing you of 1) deleting posts 2) banning members 3) impropriety when putting Vern/Ainawa on a sabbatical. If you want to give yourself a pat on the back for not doing these things okay, but these are not the accusations being made here.

I did however, accuse you of "threatening to marginalize someones speech", and that someone is Maggie. I am going to revise the wording on that again: you censored Maggie.

You don't have to ban someone from the forum, or delete their posts, or remove it to the "information promulgated by right wing freaks" section. All you have to do is threaten to do so.

I also said that it was very important to allow free speech about this,
    and no pro-vaxxer posting on Avalon has ever been silenced in any way.
    Actually, you did silence her. She left the forum after your threat. You didn't delete her post or cancel her membership or even move the thread to the Hall of Garbage ideas. You just had to threaten to. And it worked. And just about any other intellectually curious, passionate person who wanted to engage in intelligent debate would have left to.

Why share your thoughts if someone is going to consign your words in the garbage bin area? It also sends out a message to a lot of other people who would want to engage in a debate about vaccines which is : "Why bother? Your words won't be deleted, just relegated to the sidecar freak show area." (a.k.a. the "Misinformation, Disinformation, Propaganda & Hoaxes" section). I am sure that there were probably others who wanted to say something that never did because they knew Aragorn would threaten to censor them.

Despite all your attempts to paint yourself as someone who doesn't censor free speech, you did, in fact, censor Maggie. And you've got a spiritually dead, uninteresting forum to show for it. There are certainly some friendly people here, exchanging social niceties and sharing links to music, but I just do see there are a lot of people finding any great worthwhile threads that would bring outsiders in. (Not that I have read them all and please feel free to prove me wrong.) As long as you are a moderator and until you find a way to put this behind you, you will have and deserve the reputation of a place with limited tolerance for free speech.

The claim that autism would be caused by vaccines ... is also highly insulting toward autistic people
    What a absolutely ludicrous claim to make. Yes, this claim may offend some autistic people, but many (or most) of the activists questioning the safety of the MMR vaccine are autistic or the parents of autistic children. Do you care about how your censorship deeply offends them because is does absolutely????? Free speech will always offend somebody, but stifling is should offend everyone who wants to get on the path of truth and intellectual inquiry.

As it just so happens to be ─ and I am really tired of having to explain myself over and over again on account of this subject...
    The claim that autism would be caused by vaccines has not only been scientifically disproven
    Wow, sorry to hear you are so tired. Perhaps you are taking on a job here that isn't necessary ... to have the last word and "correct" everyone else's ideas.

I thought your job was to be a moderator, a facilitator of debate and discussion. But it seem you need to be the final word, the authority on everything. And since you are human and have limited energy and time and can't always respond to all the contrary ideas, research and information and have that last word on the subject you care about, the authority has to become an authoritarian by using you power as an administrator to relegate the speech of others into the dustbin. But of course, you don't have to let the ugly title of "censor" or "authoritarian" stick to you. You can just threaten to censor people. You can just threaten to, while claiming "but I never actually did censor anyone ... I am for free speech." Yet it has the same effect on others. And shuts them up. So if you always need to have the last word, now you can rest.

But it isn't just the admin/moderator over reach that is destroying the forum here, it is also the lack of action on some of the really childish, snivelling, vacuous, antisocial behaviors here. Here are just two examples from this very thread:

I'll have to correct you there, you simply haven't been a member long enough to make that judgement call.
    Wow, nothing rolls out the welcome like saying you aren't in the country club long enough to make judgement calls. Does this poster say this to everyone who comes here, or just to people he wants to alienate? What a great way not to engage in debate, which can be a tiring thing if you are brain dead but need to feel superior without actually having to defend your opinion.

And then there is the perverse misuse of the word "propaganda" here:

Vern has been sent on a little holiday for spreading right-wing propaganda
    or this one, directed at me in one post:

You don't seem to understand what propaganda is.
    What don't I know about propaganda? I am quite familiar with the work of Edward Bernays, of how, historically, radio and then television have been to mobilize populations for war and other political purposes, of the history of Project Mockingbird. My uncle stared one of the best newspapers after World War II, the Rome Daily American which was later purchase by the CIA as part of Project Gladio, a foment violence between various political sectors in Italy. And I know a lot more about the history of propaganda. What gives this person the gall and temerity to tell me I don't know propaganda is?

The word "propaganda" seems to have a completely different meaning on this forum. You redefine what others would call "free speech" which you find distasteful, but don't wish to engage with, as "propaganda" and then commence with the antisocial behaviors. "Oh, you can't have an opinion here." "Oh, you are right wing and must be wearing a red maga hat". This will pretty much wear people down and make the go away, long before you have to threaten to move their posts to the "freak show thread" area.

Such insidious conversation ending-behaviors are not tolerated at Project Avalon. They don't need to be censored - you just need to point out their bad behaviors and find a way to ask them to act like an adult. Is anyone doing that here? Not that I can see.

While people here consider Project Avalon "right wing", some on Avalon consider TOT to be "left wing". (While there is much talk of the "other forum" on TOT, I have only seen TOT mentioned twice on Avalon). I thought left wing might be a refreshing change and check out the forum. There are a lot of information-filled threads on Avalon about vaccines, COVID, and the government policies and media coverage of these issues here. But they are generally one sided, that being the antivax side. I thought, perhaps, coming here there might be some really good info on the pro-vax side of the fence. But, alas, not such data bank of information exists that I see. All I see is "Andrew Whitefield is a proven fraudster", "Robert Malone has an ax to grind", "Scientific studies show that MMR can not cause autism", "your dangerious unscientific information is killing people." That's it. It doesn't go any deeper than that. What if the brightest and best people on both forums had a debate on vaccines? I can tell you that people on Project Avalon would absolutely decimate TOT, not because TOT is on the right or wrong side of the issue, but because you have insulated yourself from intellectual challenges and information and locked your self in an intellectual void. You simply place simple little adjectives ideas on the words and people: "fraudster", "propaganda", "right wing" so that you can be dismissive and turn up you nose.

It is unfortunate. As long as you practice censorship here (and you absolutely do), as long as you focus on deprecating the "other" instead of engaging in intellectual debate, you are missing a great opportunity. I really hope someone can turn this forum around because a great opportunity is being missed.

and P.S., not saying you should respond to this thread, but I don't expect to be back to read your replies. Project Avalon may have it's problems, but it also is much more engaging, challenging and alive than this forum. Good luck!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Christian For This Useful Post:

Chris (5th February 2022), Fred Steeves (4th February 2022), PurpleLama (7th February 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,164 Times in 11,946 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Christian View Post
    and P.S., not saying you should respond to this thread, but I don't expect to be back to read your replies. Project Avalon may have it's problems, but it also is much more engaging, challenging and alive than this forum. Good luck!
    Don't run away yet, Christian. I, for one, really enjoy honest debate ... Chris and I have had an ongoing dialogue that I find exhilarating. The problem is that to me, what you might call 'informed' views have really very little backing in intelligent critical thinking. Anyone can pick an expert out of a hat but if that source has a history of nonsensical scientific, political, medical, or philosophical stances that place them on the outlier spectrum of thought, then that isn't fostering erudite discussion, really that is much closer to straight 'bullshit'. That is what in my opinion the 'critical' line of considering solid 'new' information against fantasy. I've seen a whole big bunch of fantastical thinking on some forums.

Honestly, Christian if you can't find anything of interest here, then by all means introduce some. I love looking at new ideas, as long as they are sane, not biased in any way, or counterproductive to a happy healthy world community.

In truth, so far you seem like a pretty ok sort with a beef ... we all get beefed up sometimes I, for one, would love to see some of those at PA stop by, take their shoes off, and sit a spell. I relish the opportunity to pit my wits against theirs. I'd love to see who could win the debate battle concerning who is interested in creating a 'better' society and who isn't.

Last edited by Wind, 5th February 2022 at 08:46.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (4th February 2022), Chris (5th February 2022), Dreamtimer (5th February 2022), Fred Steeves (4th February 2022), Wind (5th February 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 81,098 Times in 20,304 Posts
    Aragorn, thank you for your very lengthy detailed reply. But you could have saved yourself a lot of time, because many of the points you were making were not criticisms that I or Fred or anyone else I could see were actually levelling at you. I don't the anyone here was accusing you of 1) deleting posts 2) banning members 3) impropriety when putting Vern/Ainawa on a sabbatical. If you want to give yourself a pat on the back for not doing these things okay, but these are not the accusations being made here.

I did however, accuse you of "threatening to marginalize someones speech", and that someone is Maggie. I am going to revise the wording on that again: you censored Maggie.
    I think you need to look up on the definition of censorship. If I had censored her, then I would have deleted her thread. I did not.

You don't have to ban someone from the forum, or delete their posts, or remove it to the "information promulgated by right wing freaks" section. All you have to do is threaten to do so.
    Maggie was not threatened with banning or retirement. You are putting your own twisted spin on things.

Quote Originally posted by Bill Ryan
    I also said that it was very important to allow free speech about this,
    and no pro-vaxxer posting on Avalon has ever been silenced in any way.
    Actually, you did silence her. She left the forum after your threat. You didn't delete her post or cancel her membership or even move the thread to the Hall of Garbage ideas. You just had to threaten to. And it worked. And just about any other intellectually curious, passionate person who wanted to engage in intelligent debate would have left to.
    Maybe freedom of speech is your highest value, Christian, but we've got values that are far nobler than that, and as with all freedoms, your freedom ends where other people's freedom begins, and the same applies to freedom of speech.

That which Maggie kept on championing here ─ and the fraudster behind her claims ─ is harmful to people on the autism spectrum. And maybe you don't know any autistic people who have been harmed and stigmatized by the false claims that autistic people would be brain-damaged because of a vaccine, but I know plenty of them, myself included.

I know people who've put their autistic child through bogus therapies with dangerous chemicals in order to "cure their autism", and then we're not even talking of the psychological abuse from autism Karens who just cannot accept that their child is autistic. I have personally been on the receiving end of it, and I'm not the only one.

And by the way, you were not quoting me, you were quoting Bill Ryan. I have corrected that now. Do not put words in my mouth which I've never spoken.

As long as you are a moderator and until you find a way to put this behind you, you will have and deserve the reputation of a place with limited tolerance for free speech.
    First of all, I'm the administrator here, not a moderator. That means that, alongside of the technical aspects of keeping this forum running, I also have a responsibility toward both our members and our unregistered visitors, and this forum is dedicated to the truth and to proven facts, with room left for things that cannot be proven or disproven ─ e.g. matters of spirituality ─ not to the championing of proven misinformation and disinformation that not only could be but all too often is harmful. The One Truth is not that kind of forum.

If free speech stands in the way of these objectives, then free speech is overrated. Insulting someone is also freedom of speech, but it is not the kind of freedom of speech that we support.

Also, we have never claimed that this place would be Project Avalon II. If you prefer Project Avalon, then by all means, go to Project Avalon. But don't come here ranting about what you think the role of this forum should be. You don't run this place; we do, according to our principles and values. Nobody is forcing you to like them, and nobody is forcing you to stay.

I've snipped the rest of your diatribe.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Chris (5th February 2022), Dreamtimer (5th February 2022), Fred Steeves (4th February 2022), Wind (5th February 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,089 Times in 2,652 Posts
    Wow, talk about a hit and run. Christian, since when is having last word, and slamming the front door shut on your way out, a viable slice of the open marketplace of ideas pie?

While I'm at it, and speaking of censorship, the "Trump and the Vaccine" thread is still slammed shut and soft deleted by decree of one very angry man. But that's different right?
    Last edited by Fred Steeves, 4th February 2022 at 23:31.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (4th February 2022), Chris (5th February 2022), Dreamtimer (5th February 2022), Emil El Zapato (5th February 2022), Wind (5th February 2022)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    You know what they say, "Don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you."

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th February 2022), Chris (5th February 2022), Emil El Zapato (5th February 2022), Fred Steeves (5th February 2022), Wind (5th February 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 1,685 Posts
    and P.S., not saying you should respond to this thread, but I don't expect to be back to read your replies.
    Dassvidanya tovarich.
    Job tvo jmadj
    Ní siocháin go saoirse

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sidious For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th February 2022), Chris (5th February 2022), Emil El Zapato (5th February 2022), Fred Steeves (5th February 2022), Wind (5th February 2022)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,904 Times in 446 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Lord Sidious View Post
    Dassvidanya tovarich.
    Job tvo jmadj
    *Do svidaniya, tovarish

до свидания, товарищ

:P

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Malisa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th February 2022), Chris (5th February 2022), Dreamtimer (5th February 2022), Emil El Zapato (5th February 2022), Fred Steeves (5th February 2022), Lord Sidious (5th February 2022), Wind (5th February 2022)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,908 Times in 1,858 Posts
    Nice hit and run Christian...

You're just proving our point for us. You can come over here and talk shit about us or our forum or any other topic all day long and nobody will censor you.

Could I go over to PA, register an account and say whatever I want about that forum or Bill Ryan in particular? I'd be banned before I could even finish my first post...

This is the difference between the two forums and I'm frankly getting tired of even discussing this topic and having to go back to discussing it over and over again, because those that are emotionally invested in PA can't leave it alone. You can come and go as you please and post whatever you like without censorship. Most of us who are members here would not get that opportunity over there, big difference. Whilst there are some good people over there, I would not want to participate in a forum where I constantly have to watch what I say, lest it offends you-know-who or any of his lackeys. How is that an open forum for discussions, rather than just a mouthpiece for one man's ego?

Anyways, I hope we can put this whole kerfuffle behind us, it is a massive waste of everyone's time.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th February 2022), donk (5th February 2022), Dreamtimer (5th February 2022), Emil El Zapato (5th February 2022), Fred Steeves (5th February 2022), Gio (7th February 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Malisa View Post
    *Do svidaniya, tovarish

до свидания, товарищ

:P
    Spassiba nugget
    Ní siocháin go saoirse

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sidious For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th February 2022), Dreamtimer (5th February 2022), Emil El Zapato (5th February 2022), Fred Steeves (5th February 2022), Malisa (6th February 2022), Wind (5th February 2022)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I understand the farewell. What's the rest? My mind's russian around to understand...

Dassvidanya tovarich.
    Job tvo jmadj
    (I've got comrade and thank you. halfway there)

Posts which contain direct ad hominem do not stay, fyi. Direct insults will be removed from threads. We have been very clear about our definitions of ad hominem. So if someone wants to come over and name-call, that won't fly.

Certainly issues can be discussed without name-calling so it wouldn't be a problem, of course.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th February 2022), Emil El Zapato (5th February 2022), Fred Steeves (5th February 2022), Wind (5th February 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    I understand the farewell. What's the rest? My mind's russian around to understand...

(I've got comrade and thank you. halfway there)

Posts which contain direct ad hominem do not stay, fyi. Direct insults will be removed from threads. We have been very clear about our definitions of ad hominem. So if someone wants to come over and name-call, that won't fly.

Certainly issues can be discussed without name-calling so it wouldn't be a problem, of course.
    Get a haircut, ya nugget...............
    Ní siocháin go saoirse

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sidious For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th February 2022), Dreamtimer (5th February 2022), Emil El Zapato (5th February 2022), Fred Steeves (5th February 2022), Wind (5th February 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Lord Sidious View Post
    Get a haircut, ya nugget...............
    Ah, but first you must bring her.... a shrubbery!

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (5th February 2022), Emil El Zapato (5th February 2022), Fred Steeves (5th February 2022), Wind (5th February 2022)

Thanks
    Ah, but first you must bring her.... a shrubbery!
    There you go again, Mr. the Sid, I got my 1st haircut in two years a week ago. ... My hair has been likened to a shrubbery in the distant past. Where the heck did that come from anyway?

I've had one of my usual fantastically chaotic ideas: I propose a temporary neutral site be set up where TOT and PA can hold a battle royale. After the smoke clears and before the site is removed from existence we can count the casualties. In the format of the ol' West barroom brawl, those are wild fun...

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th February 2022), Dreamtimer (5th February 2022), Fred Steeves (6th February 2022), Wind (5th February 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by BeastOfBologna View Post
    I got my 1st haircut in two years a week ago.
    I haven't had a haircut in two decades. How about you trying to match that, eh?

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (5th February 2022), Emil El Zapato (5th February 2022), Fred Steeves (6th February 2022), Wind (5th February 2022)

Thanks
    I haven't had a haircut in two decades. How about you trying to match that, eh?
    No sheeit ... you got me beat by a mile I'll say

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th February 2022), Dreamtimer (5th February 2022), Fred Steeves (6th February 2022), Wind (5th February 2022)