Thread: The Other Side of America

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts

The Other Side of America

Disclaimer: This is not a political message thread! (Though, it is inevitable that it will go there) This first post is from a human that is motivated by and touched by humanity:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXA-ddp2S3w

The humans among us are distressed by acts of inhumanity and yes, incensed and driven mad by man's inhumanity to man. Or woman, or other, or androgyneity.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (1st December 2021)

Thanks
    Hi DT,

I didn't know if you were familiar with this or if you might have any interest:

I'm looking for books about Europe (I'm on an autodidactic quest) So far haven't found anything on Belgium but did find some on Scandinavia.
    Last edited by Dreamtimer, 1st December 2021 at 11:04.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by BeastOfBologna View Post
    Hi DT,

I'm looking for books about Europe (I'm on an autodidactic quest) So far haven't found anything on Belgium but did find some on Scandinavia.
    This one looks like a interesting historical read but too expensive:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    So far haven't found anything on Belgium but did find some on Scandinavia.
    How about these ones?

Last edited by Wind, 29th November 2021 at 19:57.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (1st December 2021), Emil El Zapato (1st December 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    How about these ones?
    I know all about Norse mythology ... I read Thor comic books with great enthusiasm while growing up ... I did see one that was about Finland and Russia during WWII but stopped short because I wanted something closer to the internal history. I found a couple that were a little wider in scope regarding Western and Northern Europe history. The Celtic history is interesting because many people have a misconception about that. At least, I always did.
    Last edited by Wind, 1st December 2021 at 23:26.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (1st December 2021), Wind (29th November 2021)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Hi DT,

I accidentally edited your post, BOB. I believe it's as it was now.

I haven't tried knitting Scandinavian motifs yet. But I did recently knit an infinity cowl out of some bamboo yarn which was spun but had sections of roving (unspun). It's really textured.

I've done hardanger embroidery which comes from Norway and is whitework. I designed a couple of my own things, including a banjo. Yes, a hardanger banjo.

I never thought of myself as a designer. I went through my folders yesterday and made a list of all the things I'd designed or adapted/arranged/modified. There were nearly fifty items and I'm pretty sure there's more knitting and crochet that I've designed.

I may start a business.

If things don't collapse. ;p

Are you looking online for books, BOB? Do you have any good used bookstores? Sometimes you can get lucky in thrift stores. I've found some cool things, books and otherwise. I recently found a book of granny squares (which are crocheted and then connected into blankets and other items).

The two coolest things were cross stitch kits from Europe. One was from a museum in Celle, Germany. It's a sampler reproduction. The other is from the Netherlands. It's a cross stitch rendition of a painting by Rie Cramer. I had trouble finding info on that one, but other patterns by Nouvelle have been listed on eBay.

I also found a Readers Digest book of Needlework. It's hardbound, it cost a dollar, and it's chock full of great info. It has very thin paper so it's dense.

There's an online gutenberg library, Project Gutenberg, which has a bunch of old stuff you can read online. It's free. You can donate.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (1st December 2021), Wind (1st December 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    I accidentally edited your post, BOB. I believe it's as it was now.

I haven't tried knitting Scandinavian motifs yet. But I did recently knit an infinity cowl out of some bamboo yarn which was spun but had sections of roving (unspun). It's really textured.

I've done hardanger embroidery which comes from Norway and is whitework. I designed a couple of my own things, including a banjo. Yes, a hardanger banjo.

I never thought of myself as a designer. I went through my folders yesterday and made a list of all the things I'd designed or adapted/arranged/modified. There were nearly fifty items and I'm pretty sure there's more knitting and crochet that I've designed.

I may start a business.

If things don't collapse. ;p

Are you looking online for books, BOB? Do you have any good used bookstores? Sometimes you can get lucky in thrift stores. I've found some cool things, books and otherwise. I recently found a book of granny squares (which are crocheted and then connected into blankets and other items).

The two coolest things were cross stitch kits from Europe. One was from a museum in Celle, Germany. It's a sampler reproduction. The other is from the Netherlands. It's a cross stitch rendition of a painting by Rie Cramer. I had trouble finding info on that one, but other patterns by Nouvelle have been listed on eBay.

I also found a Readers Digest book of Needlework. It's hardbound, it cost a dollar, and it's chock full of great info. It has very thin paper so it's dense.

There's an online gutenberg library, Project Gutenberg, which has a bunch of old stuff you can read online. It's free. You can donate.
    yeah, I buy a lot of books from Half Price books, but I don't sell them back, I prefer to donate them to the local library branch than get ripped off by the book store. (the donated books go to a bookstore in the library ... hmmm)

yeah, I ran into the above at a place called sumpin' or udder. I ended up buying 5 books to get my one free. The problem I run into is that many of the books that I really want can be silly expensive. For example, I wanted one by, can't remember his name right now, it was about a thousand dollars. yeah, right!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (19th February 2022)