Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Atlantic Ocean Mega-Tsunami Alert - Volcano on La Palma is about to blow

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,908 Times in 1,858 Posts

Atlantic Ocean Mega-Tsunami Alert - Volcano on La Palma is about to blow

There are increasingly worrying reports in the media about the possibility of a mega-Tsunami that would affect the whole Atlantic Ocean basin, from the Eastern coast of North and South America to the Western Coast of Africa and Europe, with some places likely to see a Tsunami Hundreds of feet high, travelling dozens of miles inland. Potential death toll in the millions, if evacuations aren't started on time.

The volcanic Island of La Palma in the Canaries is very likely to blow in a matter of days or weeks, which could cause a mountain-top the size of Manhattan Island to slide into the Atlantic Ocean, causing a Tsunami similar to what was witnessed in Indonesia a few years ago when the Volcanic Island Krakatao blew in a similar manner, except on a much-much larger scale.

This is the latest from El Pais:

https://english.elpais.com/science-t...-la-palma.html

And this is the most likely scenario as to what would take place if the worst were to occur:

https://riskandinsurance.com/mega-ts...ut-east-coast/

This story was first reported by ex-CIA analyst and current radio-show host Hal Turner, who was woken up in the middle of the night by his ex-colleagues at the CIA who alerted him to the possibility of a mega-Tsunami engulfing the entire Eastern Seaboard and thus the need to prepare for a swift evacuation. He keeps an updated tally of events on his website.

https://halturnerradioshow.com/index...st-via-tsunami

There is probably no need to panic yet, but if La Palma does blow, we can start worrying about the potential landslide and mega-tsunami that can follow it.

On a personal note, I found about this immediately after I delivered my sister and her family, two adults and four children to the airport, where they promptly proceeded to fly to the Canaries. They will be spending a week on Tenerife, right next door to La Palma. Should the worst happen, the entire population of the Canary Islands will be wiped out in a matter of minutes as the "Slosh" generated by the landslide could be up to a kilometre high.

I'm not too worried yet as there have been many false alerts before, but it's worth keeping an eye on this nevertheless. If you are anywhere near the Atlantic Coast, in Southern England or Ireland, the Low Countries, etc... You should be paying attention too.

Update:

Apparently a meeting has been held on La Palma to raise the threat level to orange and start preparing evacuation procedures, but a panel of experts decided against it for now, due to lack of sufficient evidence that an eruption is imminent. Scientists will be taking soil measurements on site today to determine the risk.

https://thesaxon.org/earthquakes-app...a-palma/78696/
    Last edited by Chris, 16th September 2021 at 12:13.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th September 2021), Dreamtimer (16th September 2021), Emil El Zapato (16th September 2021), Wind (16th September 2021)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    CSI has already tackled the LA PALMA TSUNAMI scenario in one of their episodes in spectacular fashion:

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th September 2021), Dreamtimer (16th September 2021), Emil El Zapato (16th September 2021), Wind (16th September 2021)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    That's one of the mega-disasters which could befall us. Hoping for the best...

I'm not near the coast. The Chesapeake bay is closer. I don't really know how it would act in response to a tsunami. It's a very big bay. It wouldn't be pretty.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th September 2021), Chris (16th September 2021), Emil El Zapato (16th September 2021), Wind (16th September 2021)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post

I'm not near the coast. The Chesapeake bay is closer. I don't really know how it would act in response to a tsunami. It's a very big bay. It wouldn't be pretty.
    I would like to stress that a Mega-Tsunami is still extremely unlikely, however, if it were to happen, in the worst case scenario, the entire Eastern Seaboard, the entirety of Florida and a big chunk of the Gulf coast would be flooded in a larger version of what we saw in Japan. The cities around Chesapeake bay, such as Richmond and Washington DC would be washed away.

The Fema projection in such an event is approximately 65 million dead in the United States alone.

However, even if the landslide on La Palma were to occur, it could be more gradual than feared, in which case a much smaller Tsunami would ensue, possibly only a few metres high. It would still devastate low-lying areas such as Florida.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Chris View Post
    I would like to stress that a Mega-Tsunami is still extremely unlikely, however, if it were to happen, in the worst case scenario, the entire Eastern Seaboard, the entirety of Florida and a big chunk of the Gulf coast would be flooded in a larger version of what we saw in Japan. The cities around Chesapeake bay, such as Richmond and Washington DC would be washed away.

The Fema projection in such an event is approximately 65 million dead in the United States alone.

However, even if the landslide on La Palma were to occur, it could be more gradual than feared, in which case a much smaller Tsunami would ensue, possibly only a few metres high. It would still devastate low-lying areas such as Florida.
    I've heard that some people are 'sensitive' to Earth changes and I had never noticed if i was or not. The day before they announced the hurricane coming toward Houston I had a dental appt and they were unable to do the work because my blood pressure was too high. When I am unstressed my blood pressure is normal (no meds) but it shoots through the roof when i am stressed. Something like that never happened before. It sucked! ...

Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post

I wonder if it would have any effect on the Gulf Coast?

CSI has already tackled the LA PALMA TSUNAMI scenario in one of their episodes in spectacular fashion:

Am I losing it or is that in Spanish?
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th September 2021), Chris (16th September 2021), Dreamtimer (16th September 2021), Wind (16th September 2021)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by BeastOfBologna View Post
    I wonder if it would have any effect on the Gulf Coast?
    If it's just a small Tsunami, probably not, but if a mega-tsunami were to occur low-lying areas of the Gulf Coast would be flooded as well, possibly all the way to Houston.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    If it's just a small Tsunami, probably not, but if a mega-tsunami were to occur low-lying areas of the Gulf Coast would be flooded as well, possibly all the way to Houston.
    yikes, that's all my nerves need, another doomsday scenario ...

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th September 2021), Chris (17th September 2021), Dreamtimer (17th September 2021), Wind (16th September 2021)

Thanks
    I'm far enough west of Baltimore not to be in the danger zone, but it would affect much of what lies east of me drastically.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th September 2021), Chris (17th September 2021), Emil El Zapato (16th September 2021), Wind (16th September 2021)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Mainstream News started reporting this story yesterday, probably after the El Pais article alerted them to it. Curiously, most are glossing over the Tsunami Risk, which is very real.

As for the Volcanic eruption itself, the magma is now less than 1 km below the surface. It is expected to blow in a matter of days. Nobody knows where the magma will exit the volcano, with this type of Volcano, a new passage is formed with each eruption.

If we're lucky, it will be in a place that won't destabilize the Manhattan-sized slab of rock that is slated to tumble into the Atlantic Ocean at some point (this is inevitable, though it might not happen for decades or centuries) and we'll only get a standard volcanic eruption. If we're unlucky, well, you know the drill, you'll have a few hours to get out of low-lying coastal areas that will be flooded by this Tsunami.

I watched the CSI Miami episode I posted earlier which is built around this exact scenario, but it was pretty weak overall. Still, interesting to see that this has been predicted and expected for decades now.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th September 2021), Dreamtimer (17th September 2021), Emil El Zapato (17th September 2021), Wind (17th September 2021)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    This study is from 2020, but it seems to the best estimate as to what would happen if the mega-landslide and with it, the mega-tsunami were to occur.

read://https_www.express.co.uk/?url=...i-atlantic-spt

Tenerife fears: How La Palma volcano eruption could trigger mega-tsunami

TENERIFE would be hit by a tsunami less than an hour after an eruption occurred on its neighbouring island, in a devastating natural disaster that could produce waves three times higher than ever recorded.

The Cumbre Vieja volcano is located on the island of La Palma, just a few hundred metres off the shore of Tenerife and is part of an active, albeit currently dormant, volcanic ridge. It has erupted twice in the last seven decades, first in 1949 and then 1971, but over the last few years, thousands of tremors have rumbled from the giant, leading scientists to fear it could erupt in the future. Researchers say a volcanic eruption would not only cause devastation for the Canary Islands from the initial blast but could trigger a vast undersea landslide, too.

This would set off a tsunami wave capable of inundating coastal regions thousands of kilometres away, as well as devastating the islands eastwards within 15 minutes to an hour.

The warning came from Dr Steven Ward, of the University of California, US, and Dr Simon Day, of the Benfield Greig Hazard Research Centre at University College London, UK.

Writing in Geophysical Research Letters, they refined an earlier estimate of the likely consequences of the collapse of the western flank of the volcano.

They believe a build-up of groundwater could destabilise a block of rock up to 500km in size, which could break off in a future eruption, rushing into the sea at up to 350km an hour (220 mph).

The dome of water it caused would be 900 metres (2,950 feet) high, and the resulting tsunami, higher than any in recorded history, would travel outwards in an arc formation, reaching speeds of 800km an hour (500mph).

Waves 100 metre (330 feet) high would strike the African coast, while north-eastwards they would affect Spain, Portugal and France, and could still be approaching 12 metres (40 feet) when they hit the UK.

That is almost three times the maximum recorded after the Lisbon earthquake of 1755.

Dr Day said the waves striking the UK coast would not penetrate more than two or three kilometres inland.

He told the BBC in 2003: "Weird things happen when tsunamis enter harbours or estuaries.

"If those resonate at a certain frequency, that may substantially increase the damage."

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th September 2021), Dreamtimer (17th September 2021), Emil El Zapato (17th September 2021), Wind (17th September 2021)

Thanks
    This is likely where I first heard details about La Palma and potential tsunamis.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th September 2021), Chris (17th September 2021), Emil El Zapato (17th September 2021), Wind (17th September 2021)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Updates from Hal Turner, who has been monitoring and reporting on the situation since monday night, when his CIA contacts alerted him to the seriousness of the situation with a middle-of-the night phone call on his encrypted phone.

UPDATE 9:37 AM FRIDAY EDT --

I have been contacted by a Geologist who chose to compare the actual tsunami that took place in Japan (Fukushima) in 2011 and the potential tsunami of a flank collapse of the Cumbre Viejo volcano on the island of La Palma in the Canary Islands. His analysis is terrifying.

He reports as follows:

To calculate the water displacement by a flank collapse of the Cumbre Viejo volcano on the island of LaPalma in the Canary Islands, you need to multiply 200 km x 100 km x SEVERAL METERS (how much the fault moved vertically). This is the total land area that is unstable and in danger of collapsing into the ocean.

If you do that, you come up with a much smaller number. "Several meters" is up to 10 meters. Let's say 10 meters, which is 0.01 km.

So, 200 cubic km. water displacement.

Or 100 cubic km. water displacement if the vertical move was 5 meters.

Another thing that have to be considered is the speed at which the fault which caused the 2011 Japan Tsunami (Fukushima) moved upward, which is MUCH SLOWER then a landslide.

All in all, the Fukushima tsunami was generated by a land mass at least 60% smaller (if 10 meters vertical move), or 80% smaller (if 5 meter vertical move) then Cumbre Vieja, with an energy also much smaller.

The angle at what the Japan (Fukushima) fault moved is also highly important, because the water displacement in the case of Fuku or Indonesia tsunamis were even smaller then 100 cubic km.

It is impossible to calculate the difference, but it is safe to say that Fuku tsunami would be but a fraction of the Cumbre Vieja tsunami, in water displacement, speed and energy.

Probably around 10% or less destructive power, and not even 0.01% the damage cost (material costs in impacted area only, not the instant collapse of world economy...), IF the Cumbre Vieja eruption will cause a 500 cubic km. landslide.

The aftermath of a 500 cubic km. landslide would be cataclysmic, and that is the only word that might describe it.

An interesting additional development:

The same guy from IGN, where we get the earthquake data, who made a public statement on twitter that their data is continuously reviewed and updated (including mags and depths), is the same guy who is now tweeting that certain local scientists and technical staff involved with their volcano warning system should not be saying certain things to the public re: possibility of eruption.

The more I read the more I think those in charge of the data are either self directed to, or being directed to, suppress data

Multiple locals tweeting they feel confused and unsure of plans, preps, and possibilities, citing conflicting messaging from officials and media

Also worth noting there are multiple local accounts in Canaries and Spain tweeting not to worry, no eruption coming, all is well, claiming to know, and all these accounts seem to be of a particular political identity.

MORE:

President of the Canary Islands says "if the eruption occurs, we have the mechanism to evacuate more than 2,000 people."

(Uh... population on La Palma is 85,000.)

Just like the U.S. government can't tell millions of people that a tsunami is going to wipe out the East Coast for the panic it would cause, these officials on La Palma can't tell the whole island to start evacuating.

Maybe "we can only evacuate 2,000 people" is their round about way of telling those smart enough to read between the lines and get out on their own while they can.

UPDATE 1:07 PM EDT FRIDAY --

Deformation is now at 12 cm.

(All the officials speaking have a super worried look on their faces. They only have the capacity to evacuate 2,000 people. The island has over 83,000.)

Authorities in La Palma, Canary Islands, have warned there could be a volcanic eruption in the coming days due to the sudden increase in seismic activity.

The National Geographic Institute in Spain has detected 20,650 earthquakes in an “earthquake swarm” in the Cumbre Vieja national park, around the Teneguia volcano in the south of the island.

On Tuesday, September 14, the Canary Island’s regional government put the island on yellow alert for a potential volcanic eruption because the quakes intensified and moved closer to the surface.

The yellow alert is the second of a four-level alert system.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th September 2021), Dreamtimer (4th October 2021), Emil El Zapato (17th September 2021), Wind (17th September 2021)

Thanks
    Not so coincidentally I heard news today that approximately 10 rogue waves are active in the world's oceans at any given time, the average height is about 90-100 ft and the theoretical maximum is 200 ft. They don't last long.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th September 2021), Dreamtimer (4th October 2021), Wind (17th September 2021)

Thanks
    If I had family there, I'd be getting the fork out ... period.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th September 2021), Dreamtimer (4th October 2021), Wind (17th September 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,302 Times in 7,218 Posts
    Every winter in earlier years my grandfather used to go to the Canaries, but I guess since he is gone now he won't have to worry about any tsunamis. Maybe not the best holiday location?

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th September 2021), Chris (18th September 2021), Dreamtimer (4th October 2021), Emil El Zapato (17th September 2021)