Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: [Way Off-Topic] The Music Gear Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    My 2002 Gibson "Pete Townshend Signature" SG Special has dual P-90s in it. They are single-coil pickups, but they are wound quite "hot" and they have two magnet bars sitting underneath the bobbin. The attack is dry, like with any single coil ─ a humbucker sounds "creamier" ─ but they sound very "fat". Lots of midrange and low end. Lots of output too ─ it is very easy to kick your preamp into overdrive with them.

Rock & roll pickups, indeed.
    In his earliest recordings and performances, Leslie West played a Les Paul Junior with a single P-90 pick-up in the bridge position.

His sound was fat with no mush and really cut through the 'mix'.

Later years find him playing some single pick-up guitar with a humbucker in the bridge position.

I have a Telecaster and depend on my tone control, big time, to fine tune my sound.

Tele bridge pick-up with tone all out is a sound all it own and well recognized for its 'brightness', lol. That some pick-up modified through the Tele, 'grease-pot' tone control allows for a a few different expression of that pick-up. Tele bridge pick-up and how it sits in the bridge plate is so unique. Like it or not, it is unique.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th September 2021), Dreamtimer (7th September 2021), Wind (7th September 2021)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    My husband was just given, on loan, a Taylor which was played for years by a blues artist. I've forgotten her name, I'll ask him. He's really stoked. He started guitar lessons last year and has been practicing regularly.

I'll show him some of the posts. I bet he'll like many of the vids.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th September 2021), modwiz (8th September 2021), Wind (7th September 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    In his earliest recordings and performances, Leslie West played a Les Paul Junior with a single P-90 pick-up in the bridge position.

His sound was fat with no mush and really cut through the 'mix'.
    Carlos Santana was using an SG with dual P-90s at Woodstock, and for the recording of "Samba Pa Ti", "Oye Como Va" and "Black Magic Woman".

Technically, that guitar was listed as a Les Paul Special, because the Gibson SG was indeed initially sold as the new Les Paul until 1964, when Les Paul ended his endorsement deal with Gibson because of his acrimonious divorce from Mary Ford. He also never really cared for the SG ─ he hadn't been involved with its development, and he found the neck joint too weak. So when Les' divorce attorneys advised him to divest himself from any endorsement deals, he asked Gibson to remove his name from the guitar, and it would from then on become known as the Gibson SG ─ short for "Solid Guitar", the name it had been given internally at Gibson during its development.

I have a Telecaster and depend on my tone control, big time, to fine tune my sound.
    Oh, I myself almost never use the tone control(s), but I know that a lot of guitarists do use them to color their sound.

Tele bridge pick-up with tone all out is a sound all it own and well recognized for its 'brightness', lol. That some pick-up modified through the Tele, 'grease-pot' tone control allows for a a few different expression of that pick-up. Tele bridge pick-up and how it sits in the bridge plate is so unique. Like it or not, it is unique.
    It is, indeed ─ and copied by many others in the meantime. Here's a new Ibanez model that features the same bridge pickup mount. (Wonderful jam at the end of the video, by the way. )

The mounting of the bridge pickup in the steel bridge assembly spreads out the magnetic field, and creates a very bright and twangy sound that you just can't get out of any other type of pickup mount.

Leo Fender probably came up with the idea from his earlier experience in working on lap steel guitars with Adolph Rickenbacker and Doc Kauffman.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (8th September 2021), Emil El Zapato (8th September 2021), modwiz (8th September 2021), Wind (7th September 2021)

Thanks
    More goodies, albeit on the really expensive side this time...

PRS Guitars is an American company started in the 1980s. Its founder, Paul Reed Smith, was mentored by the late Ted McCarty, himself the former president of Gibson and the engineer responsible for the design of the Gibson Les Paul model in 1950. It was also Ted McCarty who managed to convince Gibson's then parent company CMI to start negotiating an endorsement deal with Les Paul, after they had first mockingly sent Les away in 1945 when he came to talk to them with his self-built "Log" prototype about making him a signature solid-body guitar. PRS has two guitar models in its range ─ one singe-cutaway and one double-cutaway ─ that are specifically named after Ted McCarty; Lee Anderton owns a PRS McCarty Single-Cut model.

Paul Reed Smith's objective when he started his company was to combine the best features of both Gibson and Fender into a single line of guitars, although he has in the meantime also begun offering models that lean more toward one design than to the other, and vice versa. The PRS catalog comprises both more expensive guitars, which are built in the USA, and more affordable but still high-quality guitars that are built in South Korea. Both varieties are extremely popular, and PRS also has a number of notable endorsers, among whom Carlos Santana, John Mayer, Joe Walsh, Mark Tremonti, David Grissom, and many, many others. The company also has its own line of tube/valve amplifiers.

Note: The video below was shot during the 2020 pandemic lockdown in the UK, which is why Lee and Pete are in different rooms.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (8th September 2021), Emil El Zapato (8th September 2021), modwiz (8th September 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    More goodies, albeit on the really expensive side this time...

PRS Guitars is an American company started in the 1980s. Its founder, Paul Reed Smith, was mentored by the late Ted McCarty, himself the former president of Gibson and the engineer responsible for the design of the Gibson Les Paul model in 1950. It was also Ted McCarty who managed to convince Gibson's then parent company CMI to start negotiating an endorsement deal with Les Paul, after they had first mockingly sent Les away in 1945 when he came to talk to them with his self-built "Log" prototype about making him a signature solid-body guitar. PRS has two guitar models in its range ─ one singe-cutaway and one double-cutaway ─ that are specifically named after Ted McCarty; Lee Anderton owns a PRS McCarty Single-Cut model.

Paul Reed Smith's objective when he started his company was to combine the best features of both Gibson and Fender into a single line of guitars, although he has in the meantime also begun offering models that lean more toward one design than to the other, and vice versa. The PRS catalog comprises both more expensive guitars, which are built in the USA, and more affordable but still high-quality guitars that are built in South Korea. Both varieties are extremely popular, and PRS also has a number of notable endorsers, among whom Carlos Santana, John Mayer, Joe Walsh, Mark Tremonti, David Grissom, and many, many others. The company also has its own line of tube/valve amplifiers.

Note: The video below was shot during the 2020 pandemic lockdown in the UK, which is why Lee and Pete are in different rooms.

that sounds like a studio all by itself ...
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th September 2021), Dreamtimer (8th September 2021)

Thanks
    There is a relatively new Fender guitar, that I would buy and cherish, if I could.

The Fender Acoustasonic Jazzmaster. The third iteration of and acoustasinic, ( Stratocaster and Telecaster models came previously) for my style of guitar playing, this would be a great fit.

I am posting three videos to showcase this guitar.

First is the typical dry official Fender promotion. Informative, kinda.

The second is a well done Fender 'behind the scenes' and concept of the guitar. (I liked this one)

Third is Lindsey Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac) playing it and singing a song of his.

"To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th September 2021), Dreamtimer (8th September 2021), Wind (9th September 2021)

Thanks
    Pertaining to the above post about the Fender Acoustasonic Jazzmaster. Found one more that really shows the versatility of this guitar.

Different artists showcasing their skills and the various shades the guitar comes in. Last segment features two guitar players using different settings on the same guitar. It really highlights what this guitar can do.

Fender did a great job imagining this instrument.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th September 2021), Dreamtimer (8th September 2021)

Thanks
    Pertaining to the above post about the Fender Acoustasonic Jazzmaster. Found one more that really shows the versatility of this guitar.

Different artists showcasing their skills and the various shades the guitar comes in. Last segment features two guitar players using different settings on the same guitar. It really highlights what this guitar can do.
    Dusty Stephenson was using this exact version of the Acoustasonic in the most recent HSCC video I posted on the Lounge Thread, whereby he goes from the brooding acoustic "swamp blues" sound in the first part of the song to an overdriven electric sound for the solo at the song's climax.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (14th September 2021), Emil El Zapato (8th September 2021), modwiz (8th September 2021), Wind (9th September 2021), Zebowho (14th September 2021)

Thanks
    Dusty Stephenson was using this exact version of the Acoustasonic in the most recent HSCC video I posted on the Lounge Thread, whereby he goes from the brooding acoustic "swamp blues" sound in the first part of the song to an overdriven electric sound for the solo at the song's climax.
    good song, I like that one ...

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th September 2021), Dreamtimer (9th September 2021), Wind (9th September 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by BeastOfBologna View Post
    good song, I like that one ...
    I've had the "Rumours" album on vinyl ever since it came out ─ 1977 or 1978; it was somewhere within that time frame ─ but unfortunately, I no longer have a decent record player. I do own a record player, but it's not a very good one ─ it's one of those all-in-one stereo sets, with the record player, the tuner, the amplifier and a tape cassette deck all in the same housing, and it came with its own speaker set too. It's currently sitting on a shelf in my garage.

The "Rumours" album was the one that brought forth such chart hits as "Dreams", "Go Your Own Way", "Don't Stop" and "You Make Loving Fun". If I remember correctly ─ without looking through my (humble) album collection ─ then "The Chain" is the opening track on the B-side of the album.

It's a good album, and it sold very well, but at the same time it also marked the beginning of the end for the Buckingham-Nicks-McVie-McVie-Fleetwood lineup. John and Christine McVie's marriage had already broken down, and the romantic relationship between Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks was headed down the same path.

They still recorded another album with the same lineup after the "Rumours" album, called "Tusk" ─ which also yielded a few chart successes ─ but then Lindsey Buckingham left the band in anger and started a solo career. Fleetwood Mac then hired two new guitarists in the early 1980s, but that particular lineup was rather short-lived. Then Buckingham returned, and he remained with the band until still recently, when Stevie Nicks suddenly ─ and seemingly out of the blue ─ began objecting to him being in Fleetwood Mac, and then ultimately got him fired from the band again.

According to Lindsey Buckingham himself, he still doesn't know why Stevie wanted him out of the band. But then again, Stevie Nicks isn't exactly the mentally most stable person on Earth either. Fleetwood Mac's wild years of substance abuse seem to have affected her more than any of the other band members, except perhaps for Peter Green, but that was before her time ─ Lindsey Buckingham was specifically recruited by John McVie and Mick Fleetwood as a replacement for Green, but as Buckingham and Nicks were not only a couple but also a musical duo, Buckingham insisted that they'd hire Nicks too.

So in the end, it was Lindsey Buckingham who got Stevie Nicks into Fleetwood Mac, and it was Nicks who got Buckingham kicked out of it again. Oh well...

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (9th September 2021), Emil El Zapato (9th September 2021), modwiz (9th September 2021), Wind (9th September 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    Interesting trivia about that band, I didn't know so much about them. Except for the fact that they made a lot of good music and used lots of drugs. As I am a guitar newbie, I checked what guitars we have here and I wonder about the brands. The first guitar we ever had was my father's old acoustic Landola which he often would play when I was younger and he's still not any kind of real musician, the guitar has seen life and looks that way too. I think it's at least 40 years old by now, it only has nylon strings, easy for beginner's hands though.

The newer guitars which we got were an electric guitar, that was about 13-14 years ago, bought an Marshall amplifier with it. That's a beautiful looking red (cherry?) Epiphone guitar, not sure how to identify it though. It was a couple of hundred euros, it is my dream to learn to play it one day. Some years ago we got a Yamaha acoustic guitar with steel strings, but I haven't touched that one. Last year I got a rather cheap, but nice looking Yamaha C-40ABL acoustic guitar and with that I really try to learn to play something, it has both nylon and steel strings. By far the most interesting musical instrument is the electric guitar and then the acoustic one. After that comes piano and violin for me, my grandfather used to play the violin and accordion although I never heard him play them. My brother is quite well versed with playing guitars and piano too, he's the really musical one in this family. That's a talent I can really admire. I should ask him about his few guitars.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th September 2021), Dreamtimer (9th September 2021), modwiz (14th September 2021)

Thanks
    I've had the "Rumours" album on vinyl ever since it came out ─ 1977 or 1978; it was somewhere within that time frame ─ but unfortunately, I no longer have a decent record player. I do own a record player, but it's not a very good one ─ it's one of those all-in-one stereo sets, with the record player, the tuner, the amplifier and a tape cassette deck all in the same housing, and it came with its own speaker set too. It's currently sitting on a shelf in my garage.

The "Rumours" album was the one that brought forth such chart hits as "Dreams", "Go Your Own Way", "Don't Stop" and "You Make Loving Fun". If I remember correctly ─ without looking through my (humble) album collection ─ then "The Chain" is the opening track on the B-side of the album.

It's a good album, and it sold very well, but at the same time it also marked the beginning of the end for the Buckingham-Nicks-McVie-McVie-Fleetwood lineup. John and Christine McVie's marriage had already broken down, and the romantic relationship between Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks was headed down the same path.

They still recorded another album with the same lineup after the "Rumours" album, called "Tusk" ─ which also yielded a few chart successes ─ but then Lindsey Buckingham left the band in anger and started a solo career. Fleetwood Mac then hired two new guitarists in the early 1980s, but that particular lineup was rather short-lived. Then Buckingham returned, and he remained with the band until still recently, when Stevie Nicks suddenly ─ and seemingly out of the blue ─ began objecting to him being in Fleetwood Mac, and then ultimately got him fired from the band again.

According to Lindsey Buckingham himself, he still doesn't know why Stevie wanted him out of the band. But then again, Stevie Nicks isn't exactly the mentally most stable person on Earth either. Fleetwood Mac's wild years of substance abuse seem to have affected her more than any of the other band members, except perhaps for Peter Green, but that was before her time ─ Lindsey Buckingham was specifically recruited by John McVie and Mick Fleetwood as a replacement for Green, but as Buckingham and Nicks were not only a couple but also a musical duo, Buckingham insisted that they'd hire Nicks too.

So in the end, it was Lindsey Buckingham who got Stevie Nicks into Fleetwood Mac, and it was Nicks who got Buckingham kicked out of it again. Oh well...
    Isn't there a song called, "Just like a woman" ... AND just like a man to not know why.

Like that one, too

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th September 2021), Wind (9th September 2021)

Thanks

Joking

Just for laughs, this is a repost of an older video (from 2015), in which Rob Chapman and Lee Anderton are demonstrating and testing the Korg Miku effects pedal. This video is absolutely hilarious, so for the sake of your keyboard, be sure not to attempt consuming any beverages while watching.

Thou be warned.

And then there are these...

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (14th September 2021), Emil El Zapato (14th September 2021), modwiz (14th September 2021), Wind (14th September 2021), Zebowho (14th September 2021)

Thanks
    The Miku pedal video was hilarious.

Rob Chapman was perfect for this review with The Captain.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th September 2021), Zebowho (15th September 2021)

Thanks
    The Miku pedal video was hilarious.

Rob Chapman was perfect for this review with The Captain.
    It never gets old. It starts off with the both of them looking quite serious, but then as soon as Rob starts playing with the Miku sound, Lee starts cracking up a little bit more by the second, and you can see him struggling while still trying to continue playing those chords. It's just priceless.

And of course, Rob's nickname is Monkey Lord, so that should already speak for itself.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (15th September 2021), modwiz (15th September 2021), Zebowho (15th September 2021)