Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: [Way Off-Topic] The Music Gear Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    The new Fender Player Plus series ─ made in Mexico and significantly more affordable than the American-made Fenders.

= DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (15th September 2021), Emil El Zapato (15th September 2021), modwiz (15th September 2021), Wind (15th September 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Anderton's meets Fender. (Exec)

"To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th September 2021), Dreamtimer (15th September 2021), Emil El Zapato (15th September 2021), Wind (15th September 2021), Zebowho (15th September 2021)

Thanks

Lightbulb

Danelectro is a brand of guitars created by Nathan Daniels in the late 1950s for mail-order catalogs and large department stores. They have been sold under different names, among which Silvertone and Dynelectron ─ the latter actually being reproductions of the original Danelectros. The Coral Electric Sitar ─ used among others in Tom Petty's "Don't Come Around Here No More" and Steely Dan's "Do It Again" ─ was also a Nathan Daniels creation.

The guitars were very affordable at the time due to Nathan Daniels' choice of materials and construction. Even though the very first Danelectro was a solid-body guitar, most subsequent models were either semi-hollow or completely hollow, built around a solid wooden rim with or without a center block, and with Masonite board ─ essentially compressed wood pulp drenched in a resin ─ for the tops and backs. The low-output pickups were hand-wound and did not feature a bobbin or pole pieces; the coil wire was simply wound directly around the magnet bar, and Daniels used authentic lipstick tubes from a factory surplus as their housing.

Although cheaply made ─ or maybe it was exactly because of that ─ Danelectros have a sound all of their own, and as such, they have been used by quite a number of famous guitarists, and in quite a number of notable recordings. Among others, Jimmy Page used a Danelectro (in DADGAD tuning) for the recording of Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir", Eric Clapton was playing a Danelectro covered in a flowered wallpaper at some point during his days in Cream, and Jimi Hendrix was playing a Danelectro while he was serving in the US military.

The Ibanez TC-530 Talman guitar that I won in a lottery at a Jennifer Batten guitar clinic in August 1994 was Ibanez' attempt at creating a guitar with vintage features and a vintage sound, combining the visuals of the Fender Telecaster and Jazzmaster/Jaguar body styles with the sonic properties of a Danelectro. It has a chambered body made from something resembling Masonite ─ albeit that it's finished with an opaque and glossy polyurethane finish ─ and it has three lipstick tube pickups made by Kent Armstrong.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (28th September 2021), Emil El Zapato (24th September 2021), modwiz (24th September 2021), Wind (24th September 2021)

Thanks
    Well, 59 Divine did not give me GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

After I saw the price it gave me ED.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th September 2021), Dreamtimer (28th September 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    Well, 59 Divine did not give me GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).
    To be fair, they're not quite my thing either.

First of all, I'm a solid-body guy, secondly, the shape isn't exactly my taste, and thirdly, those heavily underwound pickups are also not my thing. That Ibanez I won has Kent Armstrong's reproductions of those lipstick tube pickups in it, and they lack any and all punch, just like the originals. They do however sound very even-toned, which makes them somewhat suitable for ambient rhythm guitar stuff, but less so for playing solos.

Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    After I saw the price it gave me ED.
    Well, at this point in time, everything music-gear-related is pretty much above and beyond my budget anyway. And that, in turn, makes me extra grateful for the gear I already possess, because I wouldn't be able to afford any of it anymore ─ least of all my Gibsons ─ if I had to start all over again today.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (28th September 2021), Emil El Zapato (24th September 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Well, at this point in time, everything music-gear-related is pretty much above and beyond my budget anyway. And that, in turn, makes me extra grateful for the gear I already possess, because I wouldn't be able to afford any of it anymore ─ least of all my Gibsons ─ if I had to start all over again today.

I am in the same situation and feel blessed for what I have. It's more than enough for my actual needs.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th September 2021), Dreamtimer (28th September 2021)

Thanks
    This is an interesting video, because it addresses questions about both an amplifier brand (Laney) and a guitar brand (Ibanez), given that Lee Wrathe works for both, plus that he's also a virtuoso player, which yields some nice jamming.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (28th September 2021), Emil El Zapato (26th September 2021), modwiz (26th September 2021), Wind (26th September 2021)

Thanks
    This one's for the Wiz...

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (4th October 2021), Emil El Zapato (1st October 2021), modwiz (2nd October 2021), Wind (7th October 2021), Zebowho (7th October 2021)

Thanks
    Not exactly budget stuff ─ and they won't be light either, because they're real tube amps ─ but man, these things sound good!

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (7th October 2021), Emil El Zapato (7th October 2021), modwiz (7th October 2021), Wind (7th October 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Not exactly budget stuff ─ and they won't be light either, because they're real tube amps ─ but man, these things sound good!

yeah, very nice ...

Quote Originally posted by BeastOfBologna View Post
    yeah, very nice ...
    What would be a price range on one of those be ... used ... even very used? That is clean, pristine even. That has to be digital, right?
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th October 2021), Wind (7th October 2021)

Thanks
    What would be a price range on one of those be ... used ... even very used?
    That's extremely difficult to say.

That is clean, pristine even. That has to be digital, right?
    No, quite the contrary. These are fully analog, old-school tube/valve amplifiers. Lee and Pete even mention the types of tubes/valves they use ─ I think they have four 12AX7 tubes in the preamp and two 6L6 tubes in the power section, but I'd have to watch the whole video again to be sure.

Lee even comments on how heavy they are, saying that even though a traditional Fender Twin Reverb is heavy ─ and I quote ─ "these are in a whole other league."

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (7th October 2021), modwiz (7th October 2021), Wind (7th October 2021)

Thanks
    That's extremely difficult to say.

No, quite the contrary. These are fully analog, old-school tube/valve amplifiers. Lee and Pete even mention the types of tubes/valves they use ─ I think they have four 12AX7 tubes in the preamp and two 6L6 tubes in the power section, but I'd have to watch the whole video again to be sure.

Lee even comments on how heavy they are, saying that even though a traditional Fender Twin Reverb is heavy ─ and I quote ─ "these are in a whole other league."
    Followed the links to the product and the single head they had was 2500 British Pounds.

Some maps use English EL 34/84 tubes and some use American. One had 4 6v6's in it.

Great sound from them.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th October 2021), Dreamtimer (8th October 2021)

Thanks
    Another fresh video from the Andertons channel. This is a killer overdrive/distortion/fuzz effect, which uses an actual tube/valve, but unfortunately, we're staying in the big-budget atmosphere with this one.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (8th October 2021), Emil El Zapato (8th October 2021), modwiz (7th October 2021), Wind (7th October 2021)

Thanks
    This one's not about gear, but it's a very interesting video nevertheless, in which Lee Anderton interviews his dad, and at the end of the interview, Lee has a surprise gift for his dad.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (8th October 2021), Emil El Zapato (8th October 2021), modwiz (10th October 2021), Zebowho (8th October 2021)

Thanks
    Another one for the Wiz...

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (11th October 2021), Emil El Zapato (11th October 2021), modwiz (10th October 2021), Zebowho (13th October 2021)