modwiz (23rd October 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,975 Times in 20,256 Posts
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

modwiz (23rd October 2022)

Thanks
    This one's more informative than the Fender and Gibson factory tours. 1 hour and 3 minutes.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

modwiz (23rd October 2022), Wind (23rd October 2022)

Thanks

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

modwiz (3rd November 2022), Wind (3rd November 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,564 Times in 1,372 Posts
    I've been playing with VCVRack a lot lately.
    As real modular synthesizers are very very expensive I am trying to come to terms with electric circuitry, breadboards, rail-boards and am eying howto's on etching psb-boards.
    Anyhoe..
    I found this.. and will slowly slowly build my own over the next few months/years.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBatvo8bCa4
    Have a great day today

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (3rd November 2022), modwiz (4th November 2022)

Thanks

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

modwiz (10th November 2022)

Thanks

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

modwiz (15th November 2022)

Thanks
    A very entertaining interview, this one. 1 hour and 10 minutes.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Thanks

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Thanks

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

modwiz (18th November 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,564 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Never knew that the (what I believed to be a )womans voice from this musical masterpiece was in fact a Theremin.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY7sXKGZl2w
    Have a great day today

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th November 2022), modwiz (18th November 2022), Wind (20th November 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Catsquotl View Post
    Never knew that the (what I believed to be a )womans voice from this musical masterpiece was in fact a Theremin.
    Well, I'll be damned, I didn't know that either.

A classical orchestra setting like this one was the last place in the world where I'd expect a space-age instrument like a theremin to show up. But she does play the instrument masterfully; controlling only the correct pitch of the notes on a theremin is already incredibly difficult, and then we're not even talking about producing only the intended notes and no extraneous noise.

Thank you for posting this.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

modwiz (18th November 2022), Wind (20th November 2022)

Thanks

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

modwiz (18th November 2022), Wind (20th November 2022)

Thanks

Lightbulb

Given that I'm primarily an electric guitarist, I have up until now foregone the posting of videos about acoustic guitars, but there is one particular brand of acoustic guitars that I would like to highlight nevertheless, namely Ovation.

Ovation is a brand of stringed instruments created in the 1960s by aerospace engineer and guitar enthusiast Charles Kaman — pronounced as "kuh'man", with emphasis on the second syllable — who came up with some revolutionary ideas regarding the construction of acoustic guitars. Specifically, he wanted to create an acoustic guitar with better sound projection, more sustain and better articulation than the offerings of the time, and with built-in electronics that made it ready for the stage without having to rely on microphones, as well as a neck feel that sat much closer to that of a typical electric guitar. Kaman also felt frustrated over the instability and vulnerability of the typical acoustic guitar, and being involved with (among other things) the aerospace industry, he decided to tap into his experience with aerospace materials for the creation of his guitars.

As a result, Ovation acoustic guitars — which come in either steel-string or nylon-string versions, as well as either in a traditional symmetrical hourglass shape or with a single cutaway, with either a single and traditional sound hole or with a combination of multiple small sound holes placed all over the upper bout, and in three distinct body depths (Deep Contour, Mid-Depth and Super Shallow) — have a back in the shape of a parabolic bowl, made from a patented aerospace-derived material called Lyrachord, which is an injection-molded (and on the more expensive Adamas range, hand-laid-in) fiberglass-based resin, used in (among other things) helicopter rotor blades.

The necks — which are either glued-in or attached with screws, depending on the model — are fairly narrow for an acoustic guitar, and they have a rounder (10") fingerboard radius and an intermediary (25.3") scale length, with, depending on the model, either 20 or 23 frets. Most of the models have a sitka spruce soundboard — which is laminated on most models and solid on the more expensive models — with or without a veneer, while most of the ultra-high-end Adamas models actually have a soundboard made from carbon fiber.

I myself own a 1999 Ovation Celebrity CS-157 — specifically, in Super Shallow depth, with a single round sound hole and a cutaway — finished in gloss black. This particular guitar was made in Korea. It has a glued-in neck, and the electronics comprise a piezo pickup under the bridge and a (9V) battery-powered preamp with a three-band equalizer and a few presets. Given the age of my guitar, it does not feature the built-in tuner yet that the newer models come with.

The guitar in the picture below is not mine — it's a photo taken from Reverb, a website for the direct trade of used musical gear — but the one I have looks identical to this one. The retail price back in 1999 was about €650 with the hard-shell case included, or about €550 without the case. When I bought it, my only requirement was that it would have a cutaway, and so I tried various other Ovation acoustics as well, all pretty much within the same price range. During the tryout, it quickly became clear to me that the deeper-contoured models simply didn't agree with me, and of all the models I tried — which included some that had the multiple small sound holes — the one I bought was the one that felt most comfortable to play.

I've already mentioned the Adamas range a couple of times in the above paragraphs. These are the ultra-high-end Ovation guitars manufactured in the USA. Apart from the Adamas range, there is also the Balladeer range, which harks back to Ovation's earliest model but has been modernized a bit. Then there is the Celebrity range to which my own Ovation guitar belongs, and finally, there is the Applause range, which — for those of you familiar with electric guitars — is to Ovation what Squier is to Fender, or what Epiphone (nowadays) is to Gibson.

Back in the 1970s and 1980s, Ovation also produced genuine electric guitars, most of which were solidbodies. I've played a couple of those at a musical instrument shop around 1980-1981, and they were all excellent guitars, somewhat in the same price bracket as the Fender electrics of the era. I specifically liked the Viper III model, which was a three-pickup single-cutaway model. It was very light, it had a very comfortable maple neck and fingerboard with rounded edges, the action was low, and each pickup had its own on/off switch, so you could dial in any pickup combination you liked.

Meanwhile however, the electric guitar range was discontinued, but alongside of their 6- and 12-string electric-acoustic guitars, Ovation also produces acoustic 4-string bass guitars, as well as mandolins, ukeleles and twin-neck guitars — commonly with either a 12-string neck and a 6-string neck, or a 6-string neck and an 8-string mandolin neck. The company has since the 2000s also changed hands a couple of times. Charles Kaman passed away in 2011, and the Ovation company was sold to Fender in 2008, only to be sold again to a company called Drum Workshop in 2015.

Ovation acoustic guitars have some notable endorsers, who all have their own signature model, namely Al DiMeola, Kaki King, Melissa Etheridge, Dave Amato, and the late Glen Campbell, who was one of Ovation's very first endorsers in the late 1960s. Apart from these official endorsers, many other professional guitarists are also using Ovation acoustic guitars, such as Steve Lukather (Toto), Robert Fripp (King Crimson), Paul Simon, Boz Scaggs, John McLaughlin, Paco de Lucia, Nancy Wilson (Heart), Bob Seger, Mark Knopfler, the late Bob Marley, Lindsey Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac), Mike Scott (The Waterboys), Alex Lifeson (Rush), both Richie Sambora and Jon Bongiovi (Bon Jovi), and many others.

Sadly enough, the Andertons YouTube channel has so far not published any videos about Ovation guitars, which is why I'm including a couple videos from other sources with this post.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Wind (20th November 2022)