Page 23 of 46 FirstFirst ... 132021222324252633 ... LastLast

Thread: [Way Off-Topic] The Music Gear Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (23rd March 2023), modwiz (23rd March 2023), Wind (24th March 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    The gain by itself sounded fuzzy, together much better. The delay can be interesting if you don't know what you're looking at. I heard a band and I thought they were faking probably because of the delays they were using. They were actually quite good then.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd March 2023), Wind (24th March 2023)

Thanks

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (24th March 2023), modwiz (25th March 2023), Wind (24th March 2023)

Thanks
    What does EQ do? I definitely liked the last sound the best...clean and sharp, that's what I like. It really strikes the ear...cool.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (25th March 2023), Wind (25th March 2023)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Chuckie View Post
    What does EQ do?
    EQ is short for equalization, i.e. the different frequency bands of the tone control — bass, middle, treble, and sometimes presence, which is the upper midrange. And in this case, I think the EQ controls might be passive rather than active, i.e. that they don't actually boost any frequencies but rather determine to what extent the given frequency range is reduced from the raw output of the preamp section. They don't seem to be doing a whole lot on this device — or at least, such is my impression, but it's always possible that YouTube's compression algorithm ruins the sound, even though I do have a decent set of speakers connected to my computer.

Another thing is that Laney certainly isn't the first company to come out with an amplifier that's small enough to fit on a pedal board — the Andertons channel even has videos on several still recently introduced Victory amplifiers that fit on a pedal board — but in my personal opinion and experience, an analog solid-state amplifier can never give you the warmth and dynamics that a tube amplifier gives you, or that — ironically — a good digital model of a tube amplifier provides. That's why, back in the year 2000, I traded in my solid-state Marshall amplifier for a fully tube-driven one — digital amp modeling wasn't anywhere near usable yet in those days, and analog amp modeling sucked cue balls through a garden hose.

So personally, I'd much rather play through something like the Fender Tone Master series of (digital) amplifiers than through an analog solid-state amplifier. Or something like that HeadRush Prime device as per a couple of posts higher up, connected to an FRFR (full range, flat response) speaker cabinet, which has a built-in power amplifier, just as what Digital John™ uses for playing live — well, he's not actually using the HeadRush, but he does use a similar device.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (25th March 2023), Wind (25th March 2023)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    EQ is short for equalization, i.e. the different frequency bands of the tone control — bass, middle, treble, and sometimes presence, which is the upper midrange. And in this case, I think the EQ controls might be passive rather than active, i.e. that they don't actually boost any frequencies but rather determine to what extent the given frequency range is reduced from the raw output of the preamp section. They don't seem to be doing a whole lot on this device — or at least, such is my impression, but it's always possible that YouTube's compression algorithm ruins the sound, even though I do have a decent set of speakers connected to my computer.

Another thing is that Laney certainly isn't the first company to come out with an amplifier that's small enough to fit on a pedal board — the Andertons channel even has videos on several still recently introduced Victory amplifiers that fit on a pedal board — but in my personal opinion and experience, an analog solid-state amplifier can never give you the warmth and dynamics that a tube amplifier gives you, or that — ironically — a good digital model of a tube amplifier provides. That's why, back in the year 2000, I traded in my solid-state Marshall amplifier for a fully tube-driven one — digital amp modeling wasn't anywhere near usable yet in those days, and analog amp modeling sucked cue balls through a garden hose.

So personally, I'd much rather play through something like the Fender Tone Master series of (digital) amplifiers than through an analog solid-state amplifier. Or something like that HeadRush Prime device as per a couple of posts higher up, connected to an FRFR (full range, flat response) speaker cabinet, which has a built-in power amplifier, just as what Digital John™ uses for playing live — well, he's not actually using the HeadRush, but he does use a similar device.
    hmm, ok, I must still be asleep, I'll have to read it a few times for it to sink in.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (25th March 2023), Wind (25th March 2023)

Thanks
    Some Wizard material again.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (26th March 2023), modwiz (25th March 2023), Wind (25th March 2023)

Thanks

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

modwiz (27th March 2023), Wind (27th March 2023)

Thanks
    Some Wizard material again.

I went with 1243...because I couldn't remember the first one exactly, i would have gone 3124

Hell, I can't remember...the smallest gauge, I had in the wrong place because I didn't remember the 1st one which I think was the 2nd smallest gauge.
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 27th March 2023 at 20:46.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th March 2023), Wind (27th March 2023)

Thanks

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (28th March 2023), modwiz (28th March 2023), Wind (28th March 2023)

Thanks
    almost a western style twang, very cool, nonetheless.

really nice, he always seems to go to a low note that sounds a little out of round to me.

Bravo! Bravo!
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 28th March 2023 at 20:11.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th March 2023), Wind (28th March 2023)

Thanks

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (31st March 2023), modwiz (31st March 2023), Wind (31st March 2023)

Thanks

Unhappy I accidentally ruined the finish on my Les Paul 😭

It happened a few days ago. There was a stain on the finish of my Les Paul that had already been there for a while — not really a stain as such, but more like an ugly patina. And a few days ago, I decided to try and clean that off, thinking it was just a stain from cigarette smoke or something. Bad idea...

I use Dunlop guitar care products, and in order to try and buff the stain to a sheen again, I used the carnuba wax included in the Dunlop care pack. But what I didn't know was that this wax had changed its chemical composition over time, and that this was the reason why there was a stain on the top of that guitar in the first place...

So, in my ignorance, I put on even more wax and I started buffing. And, as you can guess, it made things even worse — much worse! The patina stain is now four times the size it was before, and in it you can even see small dimples where the wax has eaten away the outer layer of the lacquer.

I'm not sure whether it can be fixed without refinishing the entire guitar, because my Les Paul is already 21 years old now, and it's nitrocellulose lacquer, which ages with time. And it would either way have to be done by a skilled luthier, which is going to be very expensive.

I am genuinely sad about it, given that my Les Paul is the pride of my guitar collection. As I wrote in the opening post to this thread, at over €3'100 — the official list price was over €3'400, even — it is to date my most expensive guitar, and by a huge margin, because the number-two most expensive guitar in my collection is my 2003 Firebird VII, and that one cost over €1'000 less than my Les Paul.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (3rd April 2023), modwiz (2nd April 2023), Silly Wabbit (5th April 2023), Wind (2nd April 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,307 Times in 7,221 Posts
    Well that sucks, I hope you can get it fixed. What colour was the guitar?
    "The more I see, the less I know for sure." ~ John Lennon

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (2nd April 2023), Emil El Zapato (3rd April 2023)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    Well that sucks, I hope you can get it fixed. What colour was the guitar?
    Heritage Cherry. It's a very popular color on Gibson electric guitars. It's a translucent finish, used as the color for the backs of the bodies on maple-topped Les Pauls with either a Cherry Sunburst finish, an Iced Tea sunburst finish, a Lemon Burst finish or a Tangerine Burst finish — this includes some Custom Shop models.

It's also used on SGs, and on ES-335s, albeit that it looks much brighter on a 335 due to it being mostly made of laminated maple.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (3rd April 2023), Wind (2nd April 2023)