Page 20 of 48 FirstFirst ... 101718192021222330 ... LastLast

Thread: [Way Off-Topic] The Music Gear Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 81,142 Times in 20,323 Posts
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (3rd March 2023), modwiz (5th March 2023), Wind (4th March 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,206 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    NICE!
    NICE!
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (3rd March 2023), Wind (4th March 2023)

Thanks
    Not many people know about Heritage, but it is a brand of guitars that came into life back in 1985, when Gibson decided to relocate their production from Kalamazoo, Michigan ─ where Orville Gibson had begun his stringed-instrument-building company in the late 1800s ─ over to Nashville, Tennessee. Gibson offered its Kalamazoo employees a chance to relocate along with the production facility, but of course, for many of their employees, that was a very long way from home. Most of them couldn't just leave Kalamazoo for Nashville, because they had families, with kids going to school there and/or spouses that worked elsewhere in town, and so on.

This is why four of Gibson's higher-level and soon-to-be-former employees decided to buy the old factory building from Gibson, as well as some of the older machinery, allowing their colleagues to remain at work at the Kalamazoo plant, doing what they knew how to do best. As such, the Heritage brand was born, and to this very day, they are still making Gibson-like guitars at that very same factory, using hand-operated routers and traditional production techniques ─ they do not have any CNC machinery ─ producing guitars in much smaller volumes than Gibson, but quality-wise definitely on par with them, if not better.

Heritage does also have a Custom Shop division where they build guitars per customer order, and their Custom Shop guitars are fitted with Heritage's own hand-wound pickups, but for their normal production guitars, Heritage is ─ depending on the model ─ using either Seymour Duncan '59 humbuckers or Jason Lollar P-90s.

I don't think I've ever posted these two followup videos regarding Heritage guitars. The first one is about the Heritage Custom Shop models — which are not quite as expensive as their counterparts from the Gibson Custom Shop — and the second one is about the hollow-body jazz boxes Heritage offers.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (5th March 2023), modwiz (5th March 2023), Wind (5th March 2023)

Thanks
    These things are exceptional value for the money. And considering that they're Gretsches, I hope our brother Gio is watching.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (6th March 2023), Wind (6th March 2023)

Thanks
    These things are exceptional value for the money. And considering that they're Gretsches, I hope our brother Gio is watching.

My brother's son-in-law (In Texas) bought him a stratocaster for Christmas...He had a chance to trade the red one he got for a blue one which sonny (He's about 5 years younger than my brother) said was one of very few in the United States. I would have gone for blue just for the color.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th March 2023), Wind (6th March 2023)

Thanks
    Does that sound true to you, Aragorn? I had no clue but he sounded sincere.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Chuckie View Post
    Does that sound true to you, Aragorn? I had no clue but he sounded sincere.
    That there would be only a few Stratocasters of that particular type? Well, that in itself is possible, provided that it's a very special type of Strat. But as for blue being a rare color for Strats in the US, no, not quite.

In fact, there have been many different flavors of blue Strats (and other Fenders) since the 1960s. As of 1962, Fender made its guitars available (at a small extra cost) in any color from the Dupont catalog, which led to the Lake Placid Blue and Daphne Blue Fender guitars, among many other automotive colors, and they sold many of those, both domestically and abroad.

It was the era of surf rock, with guitar-driven instrumental acts like The Shadows, The Ventures, Dick Dale, and many others. 1962 was also the year that Fender released the Jaguar model, which shared its offset-waist body shape with the 1957 Jazzmaster but added lots of chrome to the recipe.

Gibson in turn responded by hiring automotive designer Ray Dietrich — who had previously been working for Packard and Lincoln — to design a guitar for them that would be able to compete with the Fender Jaguar in terms of looks and appeal, which in 1963 resulted in the reverse-styled Gibson Firebird. And so as to compete with Fender's automotive colors, Gibson started offering their own guitars in similar but differently named colors. Gibson's equivalent to Fender's Lake Placid Blue was called Pelham Blue.

I played a beautiful translucent-blue sunburst Stratocaster with a mirror pickguard at a shop once, but that one was not a Fender — it was a Blade, a German boutique brand of hand-built guitars, most of which are copies of Fender designs.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Wind (6th March 2023)

Thanks
    That there would be only a few Stratocasters of that particular type? Well, that in itself is possible, provided that it's a very special type of Strat. But as for blue being a rare color for Strats in the US, no, not quite.

In fact, there have been many different flavors of blue Strats (and other Fenders) since the 1960s. As of 1962, Fender made its guitars available (at a small extra cost) in any color from the Dupont catalog, which led to the Lake Placid Blue and Daphne Blue Fender guitars, among many other automotive colors, and they sold many of those, both domestically and abroad.

It was the era of surf rock, with guitar-driven instrumental acts like The Shadows, The Ventures, Dick Dale, and many others. 1962 was also the year that Fender released the Jaguar model, which shared its offset-waist body shape with the 1957 Jazzmaster but added lots of chrome to the recipe.

Gibson in turn responded by hiring automotive designer Ray Dietrich — who had previously been working for Packard and Lincoln — to design a guitar for them that would be able to compete with the Fender Jaguar in terms of looks and appeal, which in 1963 resulted in the reverse-styled Gibson Firebird. And so as to compete with Fender's automotive colors, Gibson started offering their own guitars in similar but differently named colors. Gibson's equivalent to Fender's Lake Placid Blue was called Pelham Blue.

I played a beautiful translucent-blue sunburst Stratocaster with a mirror pickguard at a shop once, but that one was not a Fender — it was a Blade, a German boutique brand of hand-built guitars, most of which are copies of Fender designs.
    It does sound like a very beautiful guitar...wow.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Thanks

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (7th March 2023), modwiz (7th March 2023), Wind (7th March 2023)

Thanks
    Jam baby...

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th March 2023), Wind (7th March 2023)

Thanks

It's an unfair comparison, in my humble opinion. The SG was indeed born as the spiritual successor to the Les Paul and was initially even sold under the name Les Paul — Les himself did indeed object to his name being on the guitar, but not all of that had to do with the guitar itself, because he was also going through an acrimonious divorce from Mary Ford at the time, and his divorce attorneys were advising him to suspend his royalties arrangements with Gibson for the time being — but comparing an SG to a Les Paul is like comparing apples and oranges.

Sure, they're in the same ballpark and they both have the iconic Gibson sound, but they feel, play and sound differently. An SG is a pure and uncompromising rock guitar with a focused sound, while a Les Paul is more of an all-rounder with its roots in jazz, notwithstanding the fact that it too has become widely adopted in rock. An SG has much better ergonomics than a Les Paul — which was one of the principal considerations when Ted McCarty and his team designed the SG — but the construction and wood mass of the Les Paul give it a much deeper and more driven tone and sustain.

I own three SGs and I also own a Les Paul — as well as a Firebird VII, but that is yet an entirely different type of guitar. I love them all, and although aesthetically different, I find them all equally beautiful.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (7th March 2023), modwiz (7th March 2023), Wind (7th March 2023)

Thanks
    It's an unfair comparison, in my humble opinion. The SG was indeed born as the spiritual successor to the Les Paul and was initially even sold under the name Les Paul — Les himself did indeed object to his name being on the guitar, but not all of that had to do with the guitar itself, because he was also going through an acrimonious divorce from Mary Ford at the time, and his divorce attorneys were advising him to suspend his royalties arrangements with Gibson for the time being — but comparing an SG to a Les Paul is like comparing apples and oranges.

Sure, they're in the same ballpark and they both have the iconic Gibson sound, but they feel, play and sound differently. An SG is a pure and uncompromising rock guitar with a focused sound, while a Les Paul is more of an all-rounder with its roots in jazz, notwithstanding the fact that it too has become widely adopted in rock. An SG has much better ergonomics than a Les Paul — which was one of the principal considerations when Ted McCarty and his team designed the SG — but the construction and wood mass of the Les Paul give it a much deeper and more driven tone and sustain.

I own three SGs and I also own a Les Paul — as well as a Firebird VII, but that is yet an entirely different type of guitar. I love them all, and although aesthetically different, I find them all equally beautiful.
    Why does it squawk at the end...it's losing it's vibe?

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th March 2023), Wind (7th March 2023)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Chuckie View Post
    Why does it squawk at the end...it's losing it's vibe?
    They're both playing through a fuzz effect, and fuzzes do strange things sometimes.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (7th March 2023), Wind (7th March 2023)

Thanks

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

modwiz (8th March 2023), Wind (9th March 2023)

Thanks
    [CENTER]
    Sweet! I think they've finally learned how to start out their videos...

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th March 2023), Wind (9th March 2023)