Thread: [Way Off-Topic] The Music Gear Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 27,482 Times in 7,284 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    I myself own a 1999 Ovation Celebrity CS-157
    That's a beautiful looking guitar.
    "The more I see, the less I know for sure." ~ John Lennon

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (20th November 2022), modwiz (24th November 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 81,103 Times in 20,306 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    I myself own a 1999 Ovation Celebrity CS-157
    That's a beautiful looking guitar.
    It sounds good too. It's a different sound to the everyday acoustic because of the fiberglass bowl, as opposed to a flat back and sides made from wood. The sound is very crisp and bright, especially when amplified, but this in itself is also a property of piezo pickups — unlike an electromagnetic induction pickup as on a normal electric guitar, a piezo-electric pickup generates sound from mechanical pressure, or put more concretely, the mechanical vibrations in the bridge.

But even when played purely acoustically, the sound of an Ovation is brighter and more articulate, and due to the parabolic bowl-shaped back, you can get about the same amount of volume from the Super Shallow bowl as you get from a full-depth wooden acoustic guitar.

I also particularly like the 12-string Ovations, but they are not available as Super Shallows — Medium Depth is the thinnest you can go for those.

= DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

modwiz (24th November 2022), Wind (20th November 2022)

Thanks
    As a followup, here's a couple of videos comparing different Ovation models — playing only, no talking.

For clarification, if you are listening through decent stereo speakers, then the sound from the piezo pickup will be coming through your left speaker, and the sound from the two Samson microphones will be coming through your right speaker. Unfortunately however, he does not make use of the option of letting you hear both sound sources at the same time, which is actually the best way of recording an electric-acoustic guitar.

That all said, I absolutely love the Celebrity Elite in Caribbean Blue sunburst with the quilted maple top, as well as the other Celebrity Elite in the more traditional brown sunburst shown in the thumbnail for the first video — both have the "super shallow" bodies — and I also do like the look of that Richie Sambora signature double-neck that he opens the video with. That's also a "super shallow", and it's about the coolest looking twin-neck acoustic guitar I've ever seen.

However, the Richie Sambora model is an American-made instrument, built at the custom shop in New Hartford, Connecticut, and that means that it's going to cost you over USD $4'000, including a very large and equally custom-made special hard-shell case. The two Celebrity Elites that I said I love are Korean-made and retail for around USD $500 each, not including the (separately sold) hard-shell case. But for that money, that's incredible value. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I personally like the whole "space age" vibe, and the — in my perception, at least — equally "space-age" sound of the fiberglass construction.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

modwiz (24th November 2022), Wind (20th November 2022)

Thanks
    And now that we're talking of acoustic guitars, here's the other end of the spectrum, i.e. the very affordable (but still decent-quality) stuff. Only GB £99 for one of these, but of course, for that kind of money you won't get any case or gig bag.

They do sound good, though.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

modwiz (24th November 2022), Wind (24th November 2022)

Thanks

Lightbulb

Staying with the acoustic vibe for a moment, this is actually quite a brilliant innovation.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

modwiz (26th November 2022), Wind (26th November 2022)

Thanks
    We have a by now already huge and hugely popular musical instrument store here in Belgium as well, and I have been a customer there for nearly 30 years now, which is how long ago it was that they set up business, in a single small shop in the city right next to the town where I live. I've watched them grow over the years, and it is surreal how their once small business has grown to such proportions, now spanning three countries ─ most of Belgium, part of the Netherlands, and even a couple of shops in France. Many of the people who work there are friends of mine, as is the owner.

Given my good relationship with the Belgian store chain ─ they have always been very kind to me ─ it would make me feel guilty to be promoting another store over theirs.
    Just a few days ago, I read that the Belgian musical instrument shop of which I spoke in the above-quoted post has gone bankrupt. Apparently it's not the first time, because they went bankrupt in 2019 as well, but then a Dutch musician came to the rescue by taking over most of the stores in the chain.

This time however, no one came to the rescue, and the entire inventory — €2'000'000 worth of gear — is being auctioned off. It's very sad, because I've known them since they first opened a then relatively small shop in the city next to the town where I live, and I was friends with several of the musicians who worked there, including the owner.

Another personal downside for myself is that there aren't any other musical instrument shops anywhere in the vicinity, and I don't even know where the nearest one would be. There was a store from a major Dutch chain in Antwerp — I hate having to drive to Antwerp (and for that matter, any other metropolitan) — but from the looks of it, they too have recently gone bankrupt.

Sadly enough, the Andertons YouTube channel has so far not published any videos about Ovation guitars, [...]
    Well, I now know why that is the case: Andertons is not an Ovation dealer, and they don't have a single Ovation guitar in their store.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

modwiz (28th November 2022), Wind (28th November 2022)

Thanks

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

modwiz (1st December 2022), Wind (1st December 2022)

Thanks

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

modwiz (5th December 2022), Wind (7th December 2022)

Thanks
    Some really nice jamming in this one.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

modwiz (7th December 2022), Wind (7th December 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,482 Times in 7,284 Posts
    I like the black, gold and burst, love the sound too. If I eventually get a Gibson Les Paul for myself, I'm wondering if to get the Gold Top.
    "The more I see, the less I know for sure." ~ John Lennon

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th December 2022), modwiz (7th December 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    I like the black, gold and burst, love the sound too. If I eventually get a Gibson Les Paul for myself, I'm wondering if to get the Gold Top.
    Well, considering that Gibson uses nitrocellulose lacquer, black is probably going to be the best option, because nitro lacquer ages very rapidly, and apart from cracking — also referred to as "checking" — the lacquer becomes opaque over time and adopts an amber hue, which would totally ruin a guitar with a translucent sunburst finish over a beautifully figured maple top.

And the Goldtops are even worse off, because that gold color is actually created by mixing bronze powder in with clear coat, and due to the cracking, air will get to the bronze powder and will cause it to corrode, with as a result that the guitar will beget an ugly green look instead — I've seen several aged Goldtop Les Pauls, and on some of them the corrosion effect was quite heavily visible.

As for the exact type, you can go for a Les Paul Standard '50s, a Les Paul Standard '60s, or a Les Paul Classic — the latter has the 9-hole weight relief, which doesn't affect the sound but makes the guitar a lot easier to play. The Standard '50s is available with either P-90 single-coil pickups or with unpotted vintage-style humbuckers. There's no right or wrong here — it's a matter of taste, although personally I'm no fan of unpotted pickups due to their low resistance to microphonic feedback.

The '50s also has a rounder C-shape neck profile, while the '60s and the Classic have a slightly thinner neck profile. Again no right or wrong here. My Lester has the '50s rounded profile and it's great even with my smaller hands, while my Firebird VII has the "slim taper" neck, which is a very fast-playing profile.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

modwiz (8th December 2022), Wind (9th December 2022)

Thanks

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

modwiz (17th December 2022), Wind (9th December 2022)

Thanks

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

modwiz (17th December 2022), Wind (15th December 2022)

Thanks

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

modwiz (17th December 2022)

Thanks