Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flooding in Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium. Climate chaos everywhere

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,080 Posts

Flooding in Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium. Climate chaos everywhere

Terrible flooding in Europe, a 100 year flood. A couple of weeks ago we had 121 degrees F in a town in B.C. Lytton. It burnt down, the whole town. I suspect a barbecue mishap. Still, it burned down in record time at record temperatures for Canada.

Hundreds dead on the Coast in the Pacific Northwest, from the heat. We are surrounded by ocean, where I am, so temps didn't climb above 105 degrees F. It was like this for a few days. This is entirely abnormal for this area. Lots and lots of forest fires in the interior of the province.

Another heat dome expected this weekend for the interior and coastal and interior regions of Oregon, Northern California.

It's scary. What are you seeing in your neck of the woods?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/over-60...rope-1.5509912

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (20th July 2021), Aragorn (16th July 2021), Dreamtimer (16th July 2021), Emil El Zapato (16th July 2021), Fred Steeves (16th July 2021), pabranno (16th July 2021), Silly Wabbit (20th July 2021), Wind (16th July 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Octopus Garden View Post
    Terrible flooding in Europe, a 100 year flood. A couple of weeks ago we had 121 degrees F in a town in B.C. Lytton. It burnt down, the whole town. I suspect a barbecue mishap. Still, it burned down in record time at record temperatures for Canada.

Hundreds dead on the Coast in the Pacific Northwest, from the heat. We are surrounded by ocean, where I am, so temps didn't climb above 105 degrees F. It was like this for a few days. This is entirely abnormal for this area. Lots and lots of forest fires in the interior of the province.

Another heat dome expected this weekend for the interior and coastal and interior regions of Oregon, Northern California.

It's scary. What are you seeing in your neck of the woods?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/over-60...rope-1.5509912
    In Houston Texas we get an 900-year rain about every 20 years.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (20th July 2021), Aragorn (16th July 2021), Dreamtimer (16th July 2021), Fred Steeves (16th July 2021), Octopus Garden (16th July 2021), pabranno (16th July 2021), Silly Wabbit (20th July 2021), Wind (16th July 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,974 Times in 20,256 Posts
    In Belgium, just about every province is dealing with severe flooding right now, all except the West Flanders and East Flanders provinces ─ I'm in East Flanders. Several people have died and several others are still missing. The Netherlands and Germany are also getting hit hard, with equal if not greater amounts of casualties. Things are supposed to settle down in the coming weekend, but it's going to take a very long time to clean up the mess. Many people have lost their homes.

It's quite surreal for this country. There have been floods before, and especially in the Netherlands, but that was because of dike breaches ─ most of the Netherlands lies below sea level. But I don't think Belgium has ever had such severe flooding before.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (20th July 2021), Dreamtimer (16th July 2021), Emil El Zapato (17th July 2021), Fred Steeves (16th July 2021), Octopus Garden (22nd July 2021), pabranno (16th July 2021), Silly Wabbit (20th July 2021), Wind (16th July 2021)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Aragorn, I am so relieved you are okay, even if your country is taking a battering. God Almighty!

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (20th July 2021), Aragorn (16th July 2021), Dreamtimer (16th July 2021), Emil El Zapato (17th July 2021), Fred Steeves (16th July 2021), pabranno (16th July 2021), Silly Wabbit (20th July 2021), Wind (16th July 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,307 Times in 7,221 Posts
    I was going to write about this, weird things happening all over the world now! Canada is getting wildfires and Belgium and it's neighbour countries flooding. It's been unusually hot here in Finland for the past month! Only next week we might get some relief finally.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (20th July 2021), Aragorn (17th July 2021), Dreamtimer (16th July 2021), Emil El Zapato (17th July 2021), Octopus Garden (16th July 2021), pabranno (16th July 2021), Silly Wabbit (20th July 2021)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Wind, I hope the temps moderate in Finland. Forest fires are my main concern here. The weather here has flipped to quite cool right now, but still dry as a bone. I am starting to love cloudy days if there is even a chance of rain. Nothing for 5 weeks.

For Canada, the fire activity means that insurance companies will likely not insure houses that are out in the boondocks in heavily forested land. It's one of the reasons I moved right into town and into a townhouse from my old place that was in the same general area but located in the worst possible place if a fire broke out. That was a couple of years ago. I used to wake up to the smell of smoke in the summer and sometimes be unable to gauge whether it was coming from Washington state or Vancouver island, or down the street. Talk about panic attacks!

Fire suppression has contributed in a huge way to the problems we are seeing here too. Like, let it burn, for God's sakes. If houses burn down, build elsewhere with the insurance money.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (20th July 2021), Aragorn (17th July 2021), Dreamtimer (16th July 2021), Emil El Zapato (17th July 2021), Wind (16th July 2021)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I'm so glad you're safe from the fires, Octopus Garden. It's just awful. I have family in California and Arizona and they're feeling the drought and fire risks for sure.

And I'm very glad to hear you're safe, Aragorn. I heard that the gulf stream is doing weird things which contributed to the weather system getting stuck over Germany and Belgium rather than moving off as normal.

Near us (a handful of years ago), Ellicott City was brutally flooded with two so-called 500 years floods, within the space of less than a year. The repairs and upgrades just weren't complete when the second one came. Many folks couldn't re-open. It was just too much.

Where we live we're near a river which has the effect of breaking weather up, sometimes, as it comes across the valley. We escaped a tornado that way several years back.

I've just been reading about the moon wobble entering the stage where it has more extreme effects on tides. Just in time for the crazy weather being produced by climate change. And the sun's waking up too.

Oh joy.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (20th July 2021), Aragorn (17th July 2021), Emil El Zapato (17th July 2021), Octopus Garden (17th July 2021), Silly Wabbit (20th July 2021), Wind (16th July 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,974 Times in 20,256 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    It's been unusually hot here in Finland for the past month! Only next week we might get some relief finally.
    Over here it's relatively cold for summer. Believe it or not, but my central heating has been coming on several times already in the past three weeks ─ sometimes multiple times a day, even. That's not normal for July. Normally it only starts firing up again around late August or early September.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (20th July 2021), Dreamtimer (17th July 2021), Emil El Zapato (17th July 2021), Silly Wabbit (20th July 2021), Wind (17th July 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,307 Times in 7,221 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Over here it's relatively cold for summer. Believe it or not, but my central heating has been coming on several times already in the past three weeks ─ sometimes multiple times a day, even. That's not normal for July. Normally it only starts firing up again around late August or early September.
    Here in Finland we have been used to cooler and milder summers, especially in the past few years, it was a bit different in my childhood decades ago. Sometimes there are brief heatwaves for sure, but usually rains come sooner or later with the cooler weather. Heat doesn't last here for months even though June, July and August are considered summer months, it can be warm during those months and also during May and September, but usually September is often cool and rainy. However, this year has been record-breaking when it comes to the heat, this wave started in mid June and it has been continuing until now every day, it has been close to +30 C or more, for most Finns that's too much, people start to consider it heat here when temperatures rise above +25 C and then many will start to complain, especially considering that in this country it's not common to have proper air-conditioners in flats, so inside it's +30 C if not more and no air is moving. It will only briefly get "cooler" next week, meaning it will only be above +22 C and then the temperatures will rise again.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (20th July 2021), Aragorn (18th July 2021), Dreamtimer (17th July 2021), Emil El Zapato (17th July 2021), Silly Wabbit (20th July 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    I'm so glad you're safe from the fires, Octopus Garden. It's just awful. I have family in California and Arizona and they're feeling the drought and fire risks for sure.

And I'm very glad to hear you're safe, Aragorn. I heard that the gulf stream is doing weird things which contributed to the weather system getting stuck over Germany and Belgium rather than moving off as normal.

Near us (a handful of years ago), Ellicott City was brutally flooded with two so-called 500 years floods, within the space of less than a year. The repairs and upgrades just weren't complete when the second one came. Many folks couldn't re-open. It was just too much.

Where we live we're near a river which has the effect of breaking weather up, sometimes, as it comes across the valley. We escaped a tornado that way several years back.

I've just been reading about the moon wobble entering the stage where it has more extreme effects on tides. Just in time for the crazy weather being produced by climate change. And the sun's waking up too.

Oh joy.

Hi DT,

I think tornado saving impediments like rivers, hills, etc are a bit of a myth. Some years ago in the span of a few years, nature did its myth-busting thing to Kansas.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (20th July 2021), Aragorn (18th July 2021), Dreamtimer (17th July 2021), Silly Wabbit (20th July 2021), Wind (17th July 2021)

Thanks
    Wishful thinking, eh? The tornado could have just peter'd out at the right time. But the overall pattern is evident after 20 years here. Systems or storms will often spread and split around us.

Perhaps it's our invisible shield of invulnerability.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (20th July 2021), Aragorn (18th July 2021), Emil El Zapato (18th July 2021), Silly Wabbit (20th July 2021), Wind (17th July 2021)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post

Oh joy.

Wow, Dreamtimer. I am so glad you're protected from tornadoes where you are currently living! I spent a lot of time reading about all of the flooding in the Nebraska area a while back. Is that near Elliot city? There was a lot of concern about their crops, obviously. Now, out West, our entire bread basket is under threat, Canada and U.S.
    Have been following the sun and moon wobble too. Darn....it is going to be an action packed decade, hopefully not century, millenia...but I am not too hopeful.

It kind of makes you wonder if buying a home anywhere makes any sense and if it might make more sense to buy something you can travel around in, like a big RV, where you can escape the climate chaos region by region--assuming there are roads. Maybe horses and a covered wagon would work better. Or huskies pulling a sled, or something? I don't know....

Dreamtimer, if you do see a tornado coming, click your heels three times and say, "there's no place like home." Or is that to get back from Oz? I forget!

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (20th July 2021), Aragorn (18th July 2021), Dreamtimer (21st July 2021), Emil El Zapato (18th July 2021), Silly Wabbit (20th July 2021), Wind (17th July 2021)

Thanks
    I live in Northern California, USA, and we are smack dab in the middle of a heat wave, and drought this year. And it is fire season. (I do not live ar away from the Paradise area that recently burned)... The water table is low, and we are being asked to conserve water after years of excess. The heat is brutal for people like me with a heat intolerance.

I do wish they would let the folks clean the forest floors when needed, and let some natural fires burn, so it takes away all the underbrush which is really driving the fires when they do come. Poor land management essentially. And the insurance companies are being overly drastic, when it comes to insurance in these areas. They will threaten you for each renewal, for things that have zero to do with fire hazards, just to limit their risk in fire areas.

For example, you could live in a pocket that is relatively safe as far as fire danger but have an area near you that was hit hard by fire, so they will single out the area, and if they cannot claim there is fire risk, they will look for other reasons to threaten to cancel your policy. An extra vehicle in the driveway, lawn furniture in your backyard. etc...

It is really ridiculous honestly. These companies are not there to help you but to enrich their own investors, so when they have to actually pay out, they cancel to protect the profits. Sad really. I am still insured, own the home, and try to keep them happy, but they are beginning to pick and choose things they really should have no control over when it comes to your property. The fact that people have lawn furniture, or need to repaint a board "For looks" are the types of reasons they're claiming now to cancel long standing accounts. It sounds more like a homeowners association these days than an insurance business... profits, THAT is why they're in business. They're so afraid of fires wiping them out, regardless of what is to blame, a power company fault, or just mother nature that they're just blanket eliminating options to homeowners, for any reason they can think of.

I hope all is well everywhere else! It's definitely a wild ride these days

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Silly Wabbit For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (20th July 2021), Aragorn (20th July 2021), Dreamtimer (21st July 2021), Emil El Zapato (20th July 2021), Octopus Garden (22nd July 2021), Wind (20th July 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,452 Times in 10,162 Posts
    Thank gosh there be nothing happening behind the scenes and weather wars or anything like that lol.

Nasty stuff world wide atm, we got storms and floods etc as well.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (20th July 2021), Dreamtimer (21st July 2021), Emil El Zapato (20th July 2021), Octopus Garden (22nd July 2021), Wind (20th July 2021)

Thanks
    Typhoon InFa is expected to drop 31 in of rain in Shanghai and other cites of China.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th July 2021), Emil El Zapato (26th July 2021), Wind (26th July 2021)