Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Straight Talk From Glenn Greenwald

Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 2,615 Posts

Some Straight Talk From Glenn Greenwald

This is not just about the The Young Turks, more focusing on them as a recent microcosm of the now systemic problem of "Russiagating" people within America's establishment Left. Good stuff from a rare, high quality journalist. 44 minutes long and well worth it:

Last edited by Aragorn, 13th July 2021 at 06:05. Reason: embedded your video, n00b! :p
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (13th July 2021), modwiz (12th July 2021), Octopus Garden (15th July 2021), Wind (13th July 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    What might be on your take on Secular Talk (Kyle Kulinski) these days, Fred? He's been my go to guy for some news.

I have heard about this drama some things, is it related to Jimmy Dore? Will save the video for later.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (13th July 2021), Fred Steeves (14th July 2021), Octopus Garden (15th July 2021)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Kyle didn't want to get into that drama, and I don't blame him. It's not worth bothering over, imo.

Glen has been popping up recently again and again, so this is good timing. (for me, anyway)

Thank you, Fred.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Fred Steeves (14th July 2021), Octopus Garden (15th July 2021), Wind (16th July 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Kyle didn't want to get into that drama, and I don't blame him. It's not worth bothering over, imo.

Glen has been popping up recently again and again, so this is good timing. (for me, anyway)

Thank you, Fred.
    They're all fucked up shit as far as I'm concerned ...

I will add ... TYT don't really believe all the highly biased fucked up shit they broadcast is taken seriously?
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (14th July 2021), Fred Steeves (14th July 2021), Octopus Garden (15th July 2021), Wind (16th July 2021)

Thanks
    Have you had a gander lately at what people might take seriously, BOB? TYT is pretty small-fry compared to some stuff folks are taking seriously these days. We can start with the Qanon garbage and go from there. TYT is tame in comparison. And they're not calling for civil war or revolution. That's at least one plus.

They certainly spend plenty of time ragging on Biden and the Democrats and the MSM. I'm actually surprised they're not more popular just for that.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (14th July 2021), Fred Steeves (14th July 2021), Octopus Garden (15th July 2021), Wind (16th July 2021)

Thanks
    The problem is that even if The Young Turks weren't about the biggest Lefty program on YouTube, in watching the video it's very clear that Glenn is talking about the entire establishment Left in general, so far as thinking it's perfectly okay to smear any opponent with the "you're a Russian asset", or "you support brutal dictators" thing. Yes Qanon and the far Right wing are extremely dangerous, but not far behind is shamelessly, and publicly, accusing critics of being out and out traitors to their country, with zero evidence to back those claims. Remember Hillary doing the same thing to Tulsi Gabbard for instance?

It's not okay, across the board, in fact it's despicable as Glenn rightly points out.

Socrates

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (15th July 2021), Emil El Zapato (14th July 2021), Octopus Garden (15th July 2021), PurpleLama (30th July 2021), Wind (16th July 2021)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Nice to be back around sane people again. There's this split occurring where the Left, of the TYT ilk, have stolen all the talking points from red scare McCarthyism. They are also exercising undue influence on big tech to censor too much. Censorship is find to curb torch and pitchfork behavior where someone could get physically hurt in the real world, but it is another thing to censor questions about vaccines, or ivermectin. I think ivermectin is going to turn out to be bogus, but youtube videos discussing the topic shouldn't be banned. Part of this move is due to government pressure, no doubt.

Anyway, it's all very weird. The 'left' is the new militaristic right. And the right are....God knows. Crazy as f***, as far as I can see. At least on the far right.

I have been following Jimmy Dore and TYT and have to say, boy, did he have some great ammunition on TYT when they tried to go all "Me Too" on him.

Sick bastards. And Anna Kasparian screaming about chemical warfare being dumped on children in Syria? WTF? Erin Mate destroyed that line of 'reasoning' and she did the whole, "Nobody knows who you are," exposing her for not only being a war monger, but a celebrity wannabe. Then she gave him the finger on air? She's a loud-mouthed broad, in the truest, most stereotypical sense and she dug herself right into that characterization.

Fred, it is really nice to get your opinions here.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (16th July 2021), Emil El Zapato (15th July 2021), Fred Steeves (16th July 2021), Wind (16th July 2021)

Thanks
    Hey there OG, glad you checked in! TYT branch of the left has been going off the rails for quite some time now, donning the cloak of true progressive, while more and more becoming what Aaron Maté has dubbed "the middle aged McCarthyites", don't look now but they are now in the same ballpark as the hard right in these matters. "If you criticize us you're one of them!" I mean really now, Aaron Maté is one of the finest true journalists out there these days, actually traveling to countries that U.S. neocon foreign policy has turned upside down like Syria and Venezuela, to report on what's actually going on on the ground with every day people. If you're going to flippantly tell him to fuck off and call him a traitor, then you may as well do the same for his colleague Max Blumenthal at "The Grayzone", and Abby Martin as well who is right there in the same camp.

I think them going after Jimmy Dore in that manner is going to be their downfall, done by their own petty hand. It's right there for all to see, who care to see.

When have Cenk or Anna ever left the comforts of their studio to actually travel to a country in question? Who the fuck are they to be wagging the finger at some of the finest news reporters and analysts out there? Their lack of substance is the true give away. Smear, and name call, with absolutely nothing to back it up with but more of the same. Now they've lost Kyle Kulinsky as well, the ship is going down fast. Maybe Cenk can manage to hook back up with MSNBC at some point, he would fit right in now LOL. He can join "The Russia muh Pussia Show" with Rachel Maddow.

But seriously though, the issue is much bigger than this, it's symptomatic of a much bigger problem as the establishment left, and the hard right, continue to play footsy with each other. Without even realizing it.
    Last edited by Fred Steeves, 16th July 2021 at 13:32.

Socrates

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (16th July 2021), Emil El Zapato (17th July 2021), Octopus Garden (16th July 2021), Wind (16th July 2021)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Totally agree, Fred. Here's the thing though. There is no way that GGreenwald, Aaron Mate, and other muck rakers are in any way Russian puppets. That is assanine and a stupid smearing tactic.

On the other hand, Trump was likely given help from the invisible hand of Russian intelligence to reach the presidency. To my way of thinking, it is exactly what I would have done, had I been a Russian in a position to influence American social cultural and realpolitik.

Russian intelligence was doing exactly what American intelligence has always done, so the 'deep state' shouldn't be butt sore about it, but straighten out their own act and quit their own interference.

The actual or supposed links that Trump would have been aware of, actively engaged in, would have been through his connections with the Russian mafia, likely operating out of places like Brighton Beach, New York. Those connections were likely superfluous and so rubbery they wouldn't stand up in court. And am not sure...is that where the promise to Trump of letting him build hotels, resorts, in Russia comes from?

Anyway, I like to look at it from Russia's perspective as well. They have a nation to protect too.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (16th July 2021), Emil El Zapato (17th July 2021), Fred Steeves (16th July 2021), Wind (16th July 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    Putin is a master chess player and has to be in order to survive in Russia, but I wonder if he actually would be able to influence US politics.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (16th July 2021), Emil El Zapato (17th July 2021), Fred Steeves (16th July 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    Putin is a master chess player and has to be in order to survive in Russia, but I wonder if he actually would be able to influence US politics.
    Seems like it would be/has been easy via social media. He doesn't have to change votes after they're cast, just get to hearts and minds. He didn't have this kind of access before, not coupled with the atmosphere amplified as it has been.

Cyber attacks upset systems. They've been happening and will increase. Power systems, money systems and more.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (17th July 2021), Fred Steeves (16th July 2021), Wind (17th July 2021)

Thanks
    Well, sure it's always possible, that Russia had influence in this particular arena; but this thread was not meant to reopen that now 5 year old can of worms litigation that never did actually present any credible evidence. The point is establishment media types here in the U.S. still, to this day, using that dog and pony show to smear people with the tired old, Russian asset accusation. It's McCarthyism round 2 coming on, as seen once again here with MSNBC's Joe Scarborough against Glenn Greenwald. Same as Cenk and Anna, based on zero presentable evidence.

When one can't argue on the issues at hand, and their veracity this way or that, this is what happens: (4 minutes)

Last edited by Aragorn, 17th July 2021 at 02:43. Reason: embedderized your videoation :p

Socrates

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (17th July 2021), Wind (17th July 2021)

Thanks
    ."..any credible evidence..."
    Since you mentioned it, thanks Fred, there's lots of evidence that's credible in many places and can be found right here on this thread, with more to come because there is so much it'll take time to aggregate.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (17th July 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    Russian operatives from around the world are always fucking with U.S. shit ... ok, I'll stop, but it's true.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

Thanks
    Well I had concern this would happen and it did. Therefore I hereby turn this thread over to all things Russia/Putin, never mind this dawning new age of McCarthyism taking aim at some of America's finest journalists. Sigh...

Socrates

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

PurpleLama (30th July 2021)