Page 62 of 118 FirstFirst ... 12525960616263646572112 ... LastLast

Thread: World War Three

Thanks
    Thanked 12,128 Times in 2,668 Posts
    Some interesting observations from Jeffrey Sachs: (9 minutes)
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th October 2022), Aragorn (15th October 2022), modwiz (15th October 2022), Wind (15th October 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,540 Times in 7,306 Posts
    I suppose in late October and early November a real mayhem might begin there. We live in crazy times.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkocO2fvND0
    "The more I see, the less I know for sure." ~ John Lennon

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th October 2022), Aragorn (15th October 2022), Fred Steeves (15th October 2022), modwiz (15th October 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    I suppose in late October and early November a real mayhem might begin there. We live in crazy times.
    I have never seen the world be crazier than it is now.

For a daily sober analysis from a professionally neutral commentator. Quite a lot of detail.

Last edited by modwiz, 15th October 2022 at 21:02.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th October 2022), Aragorn (16th October 2022), Fred Steeves (15th October 2022), Wind (15th October 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    I have never seen the world be crazier than it is now.
    That should tell something as you've already experienced quite many orbits around the sun.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th October 2022), Aragorn (16th October 2022), Fred Steeves (16th October 2022), modwiz (15th October 2022)

Thanks
    That should tell something as you've already experienced quite many orbits around the sun.
    Coming up on 70 orbits. My biggest observation is declining competence in most professions and general problem solving.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th October 2022), Aragorn (16th October 2022), Fred Steeves (16th October 2022), Lord Sidious (15th October 2022), Wind (15th October 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 81,142 Times in 20,323 Posts
    My biggest observation is declining competence in most professions and general problem solving.
    That has been my observation as well. One may even throw declining IQ scores into that mix.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th October 2022), Fred Steeves (16th October 2022), modwiz (17th October 2022), Wind (16th October 2022)

Thanks
    This guy just keeps on making good sense. Obviously a "Putin Puppet" that shouldn't even be listened to according to Western intelligentsia

Negotiate? Pfffft, you don't negotiate with the latest incarnation of Hitler. That's Russian propaganda saying we should sit down and talk!

(8:30 long)

Socrates

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th October 2022), Aragorn (17th October 2022), modwiz (17th October 2022), Wind (17th October 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    That has been my observation as well. One may even throw declining IQ scores into that mix.
    I was implying that. There clearly is a lack of intellectual 'horsepower'.
    Last edited by modwiz, 17th October 2022 at 23:07.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th October 2022), Aragorn (18th October 2022), Fred Steeves (17th October 2022), Wind (17th October 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    This guy just keeps on making good sense. Obviously a "Putin Puppet" that shouldn't even be listened to according to Western intelligentsia
    He certainly knows how it is and I almost fully agree with him.

Despite that, the reality is that at the moment too Putin is terror bombing Ukraine and Kiev. There is no excuse for that.

What do you do in a situation where Biden or Putin doesn't want to negotiate? The lines have been crossed long ago.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th October 2022), Aragorn (18th October 2022), Fred Steeves (17th October 2022)

Thanks
    He certainly knows how it is and I almost fully agree with him.

Despite that, the reality is that at the moment too Putin is terror bombing Ukraine and Kiev. There is no excuse for that.
    I hadn't heard "terror bombing" yet, so went and looked it up. It looks like now the West is saying if you shoot off missiles or drones it's terror related, and according to Putin, if your enemy covertly blows something up it's terror related. War is nasty business, and it's never just one side that "terrorizes" the other (see Iraqi roadside bombs), to me this new terror banter is just the latest chapter in each side propagandizing for its cause.

What do you do in a situation where Biden or Putin doesn't want to negotiate? The lines have been crossed long ago.
    So far as I've seen, its been the West that steadfastly refuses to negotiate thus far, fighting to the last Ukranian is still the overall strategy.

Socrates

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th October 2022), Aragorn (18th October 2022), Lord Sidious (17th October 2022), Wind (17th October 2022)

Thanks
    I hadn't heard "terror bombing" yet, so went and looked it up. It looks like now the West is saying if you shoot off missiles or drones it's terror related

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bugWizIoPec

So far as I've seen, its been the West that steadfastly refuses to negotiate thus far, fighting to the last Ukranian is still the overall strategy.
    Putin sees no need for talks with Biden for now

"He should be asked whether he is ready to hold such negotiations with me or not. To be honest, I don’t see any need by and large. There is no platform for any negotiations for the time being," Putin told the media on Friday, when asked about the possibility of a meeting with Biden at the G20 summit in Indonesia.
    The Kremlin wants to buy time to prepare for a ‘full-scale offensive’ in early 2023

Meduza has learned from multiple sources close to the Russian government that the Kremlin has simultaneously been lobbying Western leaders behind closed doors to convince Kyiv to agree to a temporary ceasefire. But according to the sources, Putin has no intention of ending the war; instead, his ceasefire campaign is part of a wider strategy to buy time for training conscripts and replenishing supplies in order to launch a "full-scale offensive" in February or March.​
    I think this lays out the plan quite well.

The Crimean Peninsula, finally, is strategically important for NATO as well as Ukraine. Russian possession of the peninsula allows Russia to base anti-air and anti-shipping missiles 325 kilometers further west than it could using only the territory it legally controls. It lets Russia position aircraft in Sevastopol, about 300 kilometers further west than airbases on the territory of the Russian Federation. These differences matter greatly to the scale and scope of the air and missile threat Russia can pose to NATO’s southeastern flank as well as to Russia’s ability to prepare and support future invasions of Ukraine. Of all the Ukrainian lands NATO should desire Ukraine to regain for NATO’s own interests, Crimea should be at the top of the list.
    Last edited by Wind, 18th October 2022 at 02:28.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th October 2022), Aragorn (18th October 2022), Fred Steeves (17th October 2022)

Thanks
    I hadn't heard "terror bombing" yet, so went and looked it up. It looks like now the West is saying if you shoot off missiles or drones it's terror related
    Yes, that's right in line with what I was reading. Propaganda is entering into feverish pitch territory, the manufacture of consent is now fully into the manufacture of outrage mode.

Putin sees no need for talks with Biden for now

He should be asked whether he is ready to hold such negotiations with me or not. To be honest, I don’t see any need by and large. There is no platform for any negotiations for the time being," Putin told the media on Friday, when asked about the possibility of a meeting with Biden at the G20 summit in Indonesia.
    Huh, TASS actually looks fairly straight forward with their reporting. I'm surprised! The West forced Zelensky to walk away from the table in March, and what Putin says above sounds about right, who's he supposed to negotiate with?

I'm sure he hasn't forgotten that blown up pipeline either by "you know who", even though it's already water under the bridge here in the West with our short little spans of attention, and a convenient near blackout by our "media" to help that along.

Socrates

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th October 2022), Aragorn (18th October 2022), Wind (18th October 2022)

Thanks
    Alex and Alex, The Duran, gave that story some coverage today.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th October 2022), Aragorn (18th October 2022), Fred Steeves (18th October 2022)

Thanks
    Alex and Alex, The Duran, gave that story some coverage today.

I saw that last night, and of course immediately went looking to confirm, but couldn't. Tried again this morning and still can't find any confirmation, except on Reddit, where it took me full circle right back to The Duran

Socrates

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th October 2022), modwiz (18th October 2022), Wind (18th October 2022)

Thanks

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (19th October 2022), Fred Steeves (19th October 2022), Lord Sidious (20th October 2022)