Page 41 of 118 FirstFirst ... 31383940414243445191 ... LastLast

Thread: World War Three

Thanks
    Thanked 43,178 Times in 11,953 Posts
    I'm curious about something Chris, it has been reported that Putin opened safety corridors for Ukrainian citizens wanting to escape to Russia. Do you know how many have opted to use them?

I haven't noticed it discussed in the news I watch or any reference to it. I guess now I'll have to start blaming the CIA for the lack of responsible reporting rather than a possible oversight in all the muss and fuss, or I could just have missed it.
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 9th March 2022 at 12:38.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th March 2022), Chris (9th March 2022), Dreamtimer (9th March 2022), Wind (9th March 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Chuckie View Post
    I'm curious about something Chris, it has been reported that Putin opened safety corridors for Ukrainian citizens wanting to escape to Russia. Do you know how many have opted to use them?

I haven't noticed it discussed in the news I watch or any reference to it. I guess now I'll have to start blaming the CIA for the lack of responsible reporting rather than a possible oversight in all the muss and fuss, or I could just have missed it.
    Gas prices are getting pretty crazy in the U.S. There is a very large workforce here that have the capability to work from home. If American companies truly want to be supportive they have a win-win in letting those willing to work from home. That would have a downward pressure on gas prices, make many workers (like me) happy to be working from home and allow the fuel expenditure differential be used by necessary services such as trucking and Uber like transportation.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th March 2022), Dreamtimer (13th March 2022), Octopus Garden (29th April 2022)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,908 Times in 1,858 Posts

Sorry, I haven't a clue. These corridors are only open towards Russia and Belarus. I assume not that many Ukrainians want to move there, given the general hostility and the fact both countries are on the brink of economic collapse, due to sanctions.

Corridors open towards Ukrainian held territories were repeatedly shelled, despite Russian promises to the contrary.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th March 2022), Dreamtimer (10th March 2022), Emil El Zapato (9th March 2022), Octopus Garden (29th April 2022), Wind (9th March 2022)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Gas prices are getting pretty crazy in the U.S. There is a very large workforce here that have the capability to work from home. If American companies truly want to be supportive they have a win-win in letting those willing to work from home. That would have a downward pressure on gas prices, make many workers (like me) happy to be working from home and allow the fuel expenditure differential be used by necessary services such as trucking and Uber like transportation.
    That's gonna be the big question. How much punishment are Western Consumers willing to take to stand up for a country most haven't even heard of until two weeks ago?

Not much, I'm guessing. Biden tried calling Saudi Arabia and a few other Gulf oil producers to ask them to increase oil production, but they didn't even take his call. Not going well, then.

If this war drags on, as it probably will, us Europeans will be freezing our asses of next winter and will probably have to put up with fuel and electricity shortages, as well as skyrocketing inflation, even before then. I suspect that will dampen Western solidarity towards Ukraine, which isn't quite the innocent victim in this war Western Media makes it out to be. It could have found reasonable accommodations with Russia to avoid war, but chose not to, mistakenly assuming the West would have its back.

Biden and Co. aren't stupid, they won't risk Nuclear confrontation with Russia and the sanctions alone are hurting Western consumers really deeply already. Keep in mind, a large part of global consumer society is predicated upon China turning Russian energy and raw materials into Western consumer goods. Once that chain breaks down, there will be mass upheaval and shortages of everything.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th March 2022), Dreamtimer (10th March 2022), Emil El Zapato (9th March 2022), Octopus Garden (29th April 2022), Wind (9th March 2022)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    From the Saker, a Russia-biased website, it would seem the Ukrainian military situation is far worse than is reported in the West or claimed by the Ukrainians. From the map below, it seems that the South, the North and the East has largely been taken by Russian forces, with Central Ukraine, Odessa, Kyiv and Kharkiv facing a siege next. Once they fall, Only Western Ukraine (known as Galicia historically) will remain under Ukrainian government control. It may be, that Russia won't even bother to take that bit and will leave it to Ukrainian nationalists.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Chris View Post
    That's gonna be the big question. How much punishment are Western Consumers willing to take to stand up for a country most haven't even heard of until two weeks ago?

Not much, I'm guessing. Biden tried calling Saudi Arabia and a few other Gulf oil producers to ask them to increase oil production, but they didn't even take his call. Not going well, then.

If this war drags on, as it probably will, us Europeans will be freezing our asses of next winter and will probably have to put up with fuel and electricity shortages, as well as skyrocketing inflation, even before then. I suspect that will dampen Western solidarity towards Ukraine, which isn't quite the innocent victim in this war Western Media makes it out to be. It could have found reasonable accommodations with Russia to avoid war, but chose not to, mistakenly assuming the West would have its back.

Biden and Co. aren't stupid, they won't risk Nuclear confrontation with Russia and the sanctions alone are hurting Western consumers really deeply already. Keep in mind, a large part of global consumer society is predicated upon China turning Russian energy and raw materials into Western consumer goods. Once that chain breaks down, there will be mass upheaval and shortages of everything.
    Countries can always make concessions Chris, one thing experience has taught me in my own life is that, takers will take all you give them and then keep on truckin'. How much dignity is one willing to sacrifice. But that is why psychopaths thrive until they don't. Putin holds nuclear holocaust over the heads of the entire world, the ultimate psycho club. I would think that U.S. among other western countries are already working on plans to covertly undermine Putin. I saw a clip yesterday on a possible fake news site that a Russian military ship was disabled by an 'unknown' military.

It's like drones ... when those first emerged I don't think anyone gave it a thought and those that did, like a Vietnamese friend of mine, whose father was imprisoned for having been part of the South Vietnamese officer corps, couldn't even conceive of it. I told him it was the U.S. executing drone strikes and he said, 'uh unh'. He was blind in the sense that he felt the North Vietnamese was all-powerful so he didn't even consider the U.S. - he leaned heavily to racism and authoritarianism. That leaning is something one can find in many military Vietnamese families that evacuated in 1975. They stick out like sore thumbs in American politics, those that don't fit that mold are extremely nice people.

Quote Originally posted by Chris View Post
    From the Saker, a Russia-biased website, it would seem the Ukrainian military situation is far worse than is reported in the West or claimed by the Ukrainians. From the map below, it seems that the South, the North and the East has largely been taken by Russian forces, with Central Ukraine, Odessa, Kyiv and Kharkiv facing a siege next. Once they fall, Only Western Ukraine (known as Galicia historically) will remain under Ukrainian government control. It may be, that Russia won't even bother to take that bit and will leave it to Ukrainian nationalists.
    I would take a middle road in this situation, one won't be able to choose Putin's or U.S. reports. That was ridiculously obvious to me during the Viet Nam war. I was actually removed from a college class for a session because I pointed that out, in a rather metaphorical fashion, that my bitch English professor didn't appreciate. I thought I was rather clever actually.
    Last edited by Wind, 9th March 2022 at 16:08.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th March 2022), Dreamtimer (10th March 2022), Octopus Garden (29th April 2022), Wind (9th March 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,483 Times in 7,285 Posts
    This guy makes interesting analyzes, they're a bit lengthy but worth it (less than 30 mins).

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ4hvLqNfqo

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th March 2022), Dreamtimer (10th March 2022), Emil El Zapato (9th March 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    This guy makes interesting analyzes, they're a bit lengthy but worth it (less than 30 mins).
    you're very right about this guy, I watched this last night ...
    Last edited by Wind, 9th March 2022 at 15:46.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th March 2022), Dreamtimer (10th March 2022), Wind (9th March 2022)

Thanks

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th March 2022), Dreamtimer (10th March 2022), Emil El Zapato (9th March 2022)

Thanks
    This is precisely why Obama, tried to separate from Israel and was stomped on by the right.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th March 2022), Dreamtimer (10th March 2022), Wind (9th March 2022)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Beau discusses the troops coming in to support both Russia and Ukraine. Russia is deploying mercenary and Syrian troops. These are 'crack' troops, hardened and experienced. And Beau says that there aren't enough.

Troops going in to support Ukraine are coming in from America, NATO, non-aligned countries, African countries, and more. They aren't coming under the aegis or flag of their nations. They're coming on their own. And there are many.

The volunteer aspect provides a lot of plausible deniability for special forces going in to 'do their thing'. What Ukraine is getting is gonna help on a lot of different fronts.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th March 2022), Emil El Zapato (10th March 2022), Wind (11th March 2022)

Thanks
    It might have been the similarity of the word itself, but I was watching a film clip showing a family killed in a missile strike and when the soldiers ran to the scene of the injured/killed, I distinctly heard one of the soldiers yelling, "Medic" in what sounded like plain English to me ...

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th March 2022), Dreamtimer (13th March 2022), Wind (11th March 2022)

Thanks
    Even some young Finnish men have joined the Ukrainian troops, it's not illegal. Could be bad for your health though.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th March 2022), Dreamtimer (13th March 2022), Emil El Zapato (11th March 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 1,685 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    Even some young Finnish men have joined the Ukrainian troops, it's not illegal. Could be bad for your health though.
    It is for some nationals
    Ní siocháin go saoirse

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sidious For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th March 2022), Dreamtimer (13th March 2022), Emil El Zapato (11th March 2022), Wind (11th March 2022)

Thanks

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th March 2022), Dreamtimer (13th March 2022), Emil El Zapato (12th March 2022)