Thread: Theory of multiple intelligences

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts

Theory of multiple intelligences

A Harvard psychologist says humans have 8 types of intelligence. Which ones do you score the highest in?

"We're not all naturally skilled at the same things. Some are more athletic and have better coordination. Some pick up on language and words faster at a young age, while others are good with numbers and visualizing patterns.

But most people don't fully understand their range of abilities, and as a result, may end up in the wrong careers. Or, they might enjoy their jobs, but struggle to identify effective learning techniques that will help them excel further.

The theory of multiple intelligences

To get a better sense of your skills and capabilities, I often recommend starting with the theory of multiple intelligences.

First introduced in his 1983 book "Frames of Mind," Howard Gardner, a psychologist and professor at Harvard University, states that there are eight types of human intelligence — each representing different ways of how a person best processes information.

How high you score in one category does not necessarily influence how (high or low) you score in another.

If you want to learn to be exceptional at something, your best bet is to understand the unique areas of intelligence where you have an advantage, and then build upon those strengths.

For example, consider someone who struggled with writing until they attempted to create a graphic story, which turned into a compelling narrative. Or a student who couldn't seem to grasp fractions until they visualized separating apples into slices.

Below are the eight types of intelligence identified by Gardner. As you go through each, score yourself on a scale of one (doesn't come naturally) to five (comes very naturally).

1. Spatial intelligence

The ability to think abstractly and in multiple dimensions. Scoring a five means you have a large capacity for spatial reasoning and conceptualization — something required for fields such as architecture, graphic design, photography, interior design and aviation.

Potential career choices:

Pilot
    Fashion designer
    Architect
    Surgeon
    Artist
    Engineer

2. Bodily-kinesthetic intelligence

The ability to use your body in a way that demonstrates physical and athletic prowess. If you have this skill, you could be an athlete effortlessly running down a field and passing a ball, or a dancer flawlessly performing a complicated routine.

Dancer
    Physical therapist
    Athlete
    Mechanic
    Builder
    Actor

3. Musical intelligence

Sensitivity to rhythm, pitch, meter, tone, melody and timbre. This may entail the ability to sing and/or play musical instruments. Famous people with musical intelligence include Beethoven, Jimi Hendrix and Aretha Franklin.

Singer
    Musical conductor
    DJ
    Music teacher
    Songwriter
    Compose

4. Linguistic intelligence

Sometimes called "language intelligence," this involves sensitivity to the meaning of words, the order among words, and the sound, rhythms, inflections and meter of words. Those who score high in this category are typically good at writing stories, memorizing information and reading.

Poet
    Novelist
    Journalist
    Editor
    Lawyer
    English professor

5. Logical-mathematical intelligence

The ability to analyze problems logically, carry out mathematical operations and investigate issues scientifically. People with this intelligence, such as Albert Einstein and Bill Gates, are skilled at developing equations and proofs and solving abstract problems.

Computer programmer
    Mathematician
    Economist
    Accountant
    Scientist
    Engineer

6. Interpersonal intelligence

The ability to interact effectively with others. Sensitivity to others people's moods, feelings, temperaments and motivations. Essentially, it's being able to understand and relate to those around you.

Team manager
    Negotiator
    Politician
    Publicist
    Salesperson
    Psychologist

7. Intrapersonal intelligence

Sensitivity to one's own feelings, goals and anxieties, and the capacity to plan and act in light of one's own traits. Intrapersonal intelligence is not particular to specific careers; rather, it is a goal for every individual in a complex modern society, where one has to make consequential decisions for oneself.

Therapist
    Counselor
    Psychologist
    Entrepreneur
    Philosopher
    Theorist

8. Naturalistic intelligence

The ability to understand the nuances in nature, including the distinction between plants, animals, and other elements of nature and life. Notable individuals with naturalistic intelligence include Charles Darwin and Jane Goodall.

Geologist
    Farmer
    Botanist
    Biologist
    Conservationist
    Florist

Understand and build upon your strengths

If you struggled to assess yourself, ask people closest to you for their observations. Or, consider the things you gravitated towards during your youth. (It's usually when we're kids that we pick up activities closely linked with our innate abilities.)

Keep in mind that this is just a quick and simple exercise to provide you with a clearer sense of your strengths. Do your top skills and interests align with your career? If not, how can you use them to get to where you want to be?

When we gain a deeper understanding of our natural talents, we have better chance of figuring out how to achieve goals in both our personal and professional lives."

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N2pnYne0ZA
    Last edited by Wind, 12th March 2021 at 00:24.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th March 2021), Dreamtimer (11th March 2021), Elen (12th March 2021), Emil El Zapato (11th March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    Here's one test site.

"Your top three intelligences are Intrapersonal, Linguistic and Naturalist."

Naturalist part might apply on partly, I'm good with animals. Not so much with plants, at least not yet.

I do especially like language(s), because the way words are expressed can have a great importance. Not only spoken out loud, but when they're written then they are lasting and seen for a long time. It doesn't diminish the value of speaking, I think both might be equally important. Yet for introverted people I think that often communication through writing might be even more easy than speaking. I would know. Also poetry and koans have a very specific way of impacting people as they tend to go beyond the intellect. You can only really "get" their meaning with the feeling part, not so much with logic. Men and especially westerners often really like to use logic, but it doesn't always understand everything. I think my weak points are Bodily/Kinesthetic Intelligence and Mathematical Intelligence.

About Intrapersonal Intelligence

People with intrapersonal intelligence are adept at looking inward and figuring out their own feelings, motivations and goals. They are quintessentially introspective. They analyze themselves and seek understanding. People with intrapersonal intelligence are intuitive and usually introverted. They learn independently and through reflection.

Philosophy, psychology and theology are often of interest to people with intrapersonal intelligence. They enjoy journaling because it helps them learn about themselves. They are also good at helping others understand themselves. They are able to predict the reactions of themselves and others.

"No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear."C. S. Lewis
    About Verbal/Linguistic Intelligence

People with Linguistic intelligence love words. They enjoy reading and writing. Linguistic people are often gifted at learning languages. They appreciate the complexities of sentence structure, word structure, meaning and sound. They savor convoluted words and are quick at learning them. They possess rich vocabularies.

School is an area in which people with Linguistic intelligence often do well. They enjoy lectures and taking notes. They also have the ability to teach others and communicate complex concepts. People with Linguistic intelligence are adept at communicating through the written word and seek to hone their skills.

"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language."W. H. Auden
    Naturalist Intelligence

People with Naturalist intelligence have a sensitivity to and appreciation for nature. The Naturalist intelligence focuses on how people relate to their natural surroundings. Naturalists have a special ability to grow plants, vegetables and fruit. They have an affinity for animals and are good at training and understanding them.

Naturalists can easily distinguish patterns in nature. They are aware of and intrigued by weather phenomena. They are good at discovering the wonders of nature. Naturalists love to walk, climb, camp and hike. They enjoy the outdoors. People with Naturalist intelligence are inspired and rejuvenated by nature.

"Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books." — John Lubbock

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th March 2021), Elen (12th March 2021), Emil El Zapato (11th March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Just by reading I know I entered the wrong career, I've known it for a long time ... I've taken tests that suggested that I would be successful in most fields ... I don't know if that's true, but I know my deepest 'passion' and natural inclination is by far the intrapersonal.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th March 2021), Elen (12th March 2021), Wind (12th March 2021)