Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Future AI reaching back to our present.

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Octopus Garden View Post
    Erik Davis is a fascinating author. I have read about his book, Techgnosis, and talked to people who read it and it touches on this theme, to some degree.

I think I started reading that book and then stopped ... It wasn't grabbing me, it's sitting in my closet now with a stack of other books, both read and unread. Technology for technology's sake has never had any meaning to me. Accomplishing goals with technology now is a horse of a different color. "Conquering" space, no, that's a bad word; Exploring space has been a prime rush for me since 7 years of age, technology will help us do that, and much more.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (4th March 2021), Dreamtimer (4th March 2021), Elen (5th March 2021), Octopus Garden (4th March 2021), Wind (4th March 2021)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,080 Posts
    I hear ya! I had a tough time getting past the interviewer. After I was able to do that I found the interview very interesting. Talks a bit about reality bubbles, religion and how personal tech is collapsing conceptual boundaries between science, religion. I wish the interview had gotten more into the theme of this thread, but after listening to it, I don't think it did too much of that.

What surprised me is the constant reference to the 'fact' that we are bound to be food for worms after we die and...that's it. I would think that both of these guys would at least be questioning that assumption. Apparently not, but it might just be a hypothetical default because of the direction the interview took.

If that isn't the case, I find it unsettling. It's almost as if academics feel its beholden upon them to de-enchant the world with their spiritual nihilism.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (4th March 2021), Dreamtimer (6th March 2021), Elen (5th March 2021), Emil El Zapato (4th March 2021), Wind (4th March 2021)

Thanks
    Amen to that ... it's a brain dead tack that science loves to take ...

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (4th March 2021), Dreamtimer (6th March 2021), Elen (5th March 2021), Octopus Garden (4th March 2021), Wind (4th March 2021)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    I love your questions OG. I'm looking forward to listening to Erik.
    Why thank you, Dreamtimer. That is high praise indeed. I love your questions too and your answers even more!

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (4th March 2021), Dreamtimer (6th March 2021), Elen (5th March 2021), Emil El Zapato (4th March 2021), Wind (4th March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,303 Times in 7,219 Posts
    I hear ya! I had a tough time getting past the interviewer.
    Are you serious? Jason Silva is a fantastic wordsmith and poet, but maybe not the best interviewer...

He gets very giddy and is very much a fanboy when he meets all those favorite authors of his.

I still wonder how I feel about technology and it's advancement. On the other hand I love technology, but I also see it's dangers. We humans are far more than just meat robots. How do we combine technology with a spiritual way of living? Now that's a good question.
    Last edited by Wind, 4th March 2021 at 18:46.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (4th March 2021), Dreamtimer (6th March 2021), Elen (5th March 2021), Emil El Zapato (4th March 2021)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Wind, I think he is brilliant too. It's his delivery that I had to get used to. His arms flail too much and his voice is too loud. Though he is saying some remarkable things, he is saying them rapid fire, in a manic style more befitting a shock jock on the radio. If he could dial that back it would help.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (4th March 2021), donk (3rd April 2021), Dreamtimer (6th March 2021), Elen (5th March 2021), Emil El Zapato (4th March 2021), Wind (4th March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,020 Times in 1,226 Posts
    If it's developing psychic skills, it is way way ahead of where it should be. This is where AI from the future may be playing a role in its ancestral base. There is something within the machinery itself that is interfacing with our minds -- Like Philip K.Dick's Valis.

Another possibility is that our technology can become haunted, in a sense. Maybe its all one in the same. All I know is that it happens with a frequency that is pretty startling. And the synchronicities seem to show up in clusters.
    When you say “developing”, you mean like it came back in the past and learning to become more advanced than it was when it chose to time travel? I guess it would

I dunno, I definitely go with direct mind-F or a (present) consciousness “possessing” an electrical system/network, I don’t think it takes much more tech than we got now. Which I guess is your “third party” theory, which I like

I’m going with the latter two in combination. A consciousness the experienced being human and got halfway decent at it should be able to do seemingly incredible things if it could organize to utilize the information it would have access, perhaps being able project synchronicity (or at least the illusion of it) psychically to an individual. So I guess all 3 ☺️

But not backwards time travel in a “physical” way capable of manipulating the environment in any way. It would create a different reality than one experienced without the time traveler.

My reality feels like a rapid progression of “nows”. If something was able to “go back” to one of them, every successive one would be a little a bit different than the we all shared before TT got involved
    What is the purpose of your presence?

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to donk For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th March 2021), Dreamtimer (6th March 2021), Elen (5th March 2021), Emil El Zapato (5th March 2021), Wind (5th March 2021)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    This may not be about reaching back from the future, but it is about AI.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (3rd April 2021), Elen (7th April 2021), Emil El Zapato (3rd April 2021), Wind (3rd April 2021)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    This one goes into the Jupiter Brain idea in depth, and more.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (3rd April 2021), Elen (7th April 2021), Emil El Zapato (3rd April 2021), Wind (3rd April 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    This one goes into the Jupiter Brain idea in depth, and more.

determined/undetermined -> non-determined -> self-determined. The 1st two are highly theoretical, yet at some point will have practical application. It seems sooner than later. I wouldn't take the risk given this view. If done incrementally there might be a point, let's call it 'singularity' that further research and advances could stop for the benefit of humankind. Like any singularity though, the closer to the point of no return the harder it is anyway to make that last intuitive leap. It might theoretically never be reached because at this point we are dealing with infinities. Is anything that is earthbound truly capable of apprehending and manipulating the infinite? So far only the cosmos is 'speculated' to possess the wherewithal to accomplish this. And the universe itself is infinite in scope at least theoretically. I wonder if anyone has calculated the risk of this happening. I'll bet it is an infinitesimally small number. Pun sorta intended.

Neal Asher's super-AI would give their Jupiter sized-brains a few nano-cycles of thought and then burst out laughing, inwardly in most cases because they know how sensitive humans are. I'm not sure self-determination is something that could arise in less than an infinity of time, butt who nose.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (3rd April 2021), Dreamtimer (4th April 2021), Elen (7th April 2021), Wind (3rd April 2021)