Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Empire Files: Updates

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    My conservative brother was fine with going into Afghanistan. He was also just fine with taking our eye off the ball and going into Iraq. He said it could be easy and over in a couple weeks. He also said that wars are good for the economy and make people rich.

The people who get rich are not the working folks, of course.

There are plenty of conservatives who want war. In my opinion, the tea party types, the genuine ones anyway, were taken advantage of. Republicans love war. Trump wanted to make much more war than he did. He was discouraged not because it's wrong, but because he had no plans and no explanations for the American people.

I'm not defending Biden. And I'm not defending his actions. I'm merely pointing out that Republicans love war. John McCain even sang about how he'd like to Bomb, Bomb Iran. Warhawk John Bolton worked for many Republican administrations.

Their corporate buds get rich off war. That's the part they like and support.
    Last edited by Dreamtimer, 4th March 2021 at 12:07.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (14th March 2021), Aragorn (4th March 2021), Cearna (20th April 2021), Elen (5th March 2021), Emil El Zapato (4th March 2021), Octopus Garden (4th March 2021), Wind (4th March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    But in truth, there was an awareness that peace was profitable, certainly for the moguls. Perhaps to the right the means are irrelevant to the end. Who needs war if they can get rich without it. Dead people? It's all the same game and people are only tools to do the work, alive until dead.

Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    hello
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (14th March 2021), Cearna (20th April 2021), Dreamtimer (4th March 2021), Elen (5th March 2021), Wind (4th March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,303 Times in 7,219 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    He said it could be easy and over in a couple weeks. He also said that wars are good for the economy and make people rich.
    I'm sorry to say, but that sounds quite sociopathic to me. If that's the official Republican stance then they all might be sociopaths.

Not only do wars kill countless innocent people, the people including soldiers who survive are still left with PTSD perhaps forever.

Why don't politicians fight the wars? Oh maybe because they're fucking spineless and corrupt cowards.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYoeIr4ewbU

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (14th March 2021), Aragorn (4th March 2021), Cearna (20th April 2021), Dreamtimer (10th March 2021), Elen (5th March 2021), Emil El Zapato (4th March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (14th March 2021), Cearna (20th April 2021), Dreamtimer (10th March 2021), Elen (5th March 2021), Emil El Zapato (4th March 2021), Octopus Garden (10th March 2021), Wind (4th March 2021)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    I'm sorry to say, but that sounds quite sociopathic to me. If that's the official Republican stance then they all might be sociopaths.

Not only do wars kill countless innocent people, the people including soldiers who survive are still left with PTSD perhaps forever.

Why don't politicians fight the wars? Oh maybe because they're fucking spineless and corrupt cowards.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYoeIr4ewbU

You may be right, Wind.

I took it as hubris. And there was a book written about that era called Hubris.

There was a lot of that, imo. The whole 'Mission Accomplished' thing was a fiasco.

And there was a book written in that era called Fiasco.

And many others, no doubt.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (14th March 2021), Aragorn (10th March 2021), Cearna (20th April 2021), Elen (11th March 2021), Emil El Zapato (10th March 2021), Octopus Garden (10th March 2021), Wind (11th March 2021)

Thanks

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (14th March 2021), Cearna (20th April 2021), Dreamtimer (14th March 2021), Elen (14th March 2021), Emil El Zapato (14th March 2021), Wind (14th March 2021)

Thanks

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2021), Cearna (20th April 2021), Elen (12th April 2021), Emil El Zapato (12th April 2021), Wind (12th April 2021)

Thanks
    Ever heard of this guy! A lot of history in Uganda. Something in the water? Must be a special place for Gaia.

Idi Amin Dada Oumee was a Ugandan military officer who served as the President of Uganda from 1971 to 1979. Commonly known as the "Butcher of Uganda", he is considered one of the most brutal despots in world history. Amin was born in Koboko to a Kakwa father and Lugbara mother.

Wikipedia

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2021), Aragorn (12th April 2021), Cearna (20th April 2021), Dreamtimer (14th April 2021), Elen (13th April 2021), Wind (14th April 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by BeastOfBologna View Post
    Ever heard of this guy! A lot of history in Uganda. Something in the water? Must be a special place for Gaia.

Idi Amin Dada Oumee was a Ugandan military officer who served as the President of Uganda from 1971 to 1979. Commonly known as the "Butcher of Uganda", he is considered one of the most brutal despots in world history. Amin was born in Koboko to a Kakwa father and Lugbara mother.

Wikipedia
    Oh yes, I am quite familiar with Idi Amin, and I'm actually surprised Abby did not mention him. There was even a movie about Amin, The Last King of Scotland, with Forest Whitaker ─ he won several awards for his performance as Amin.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2021), Cearna (20th April 2021), Dreamtimer (14th April 2021), Elen (13th April 2021), Emil El Zapato (12th April 2021), Wind (14th April 2021)

Thanks
    Oh yes, I am quite familiar with Idi Amin, and I'm actually surprised Abby did not mention him. There was even a movie about Amin, The Last King of Scotland, with Forest Whitaker ─ he won several awards for his performance as Amin.
    I've never seen the movie, Too familiar with Amin's antics. I had a disturbed but admittedly very intelligent acquaintance that had a bit of a fascination with Amin. Elephant hunting with cannons. Wow!

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th April 2021), Cearna (20th April 2021), Dreamtimer (14th April 2021), Elen (13th April 2021), Wind (14th April 2021)

Thanks

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Elen (20th April 2021), Emil El Zapato (19th April 2021), Wind (20th April 2021)

Thanks
    mmm, no, if anything Biden is tickling the Taliban to let them get it out of their system. Negotiations by Biden's administration and the Afghanistan administration both agree that the Taliban have no reason to continue their fighting. It has been pointed out to them that they have been invited to take part in a legitimate government and no longer have a legal, humanitarian, or philosophical reason to go on killing people randomly.

We live in fast times, things that we believe about extant political realities are ghosted daily and it is incumbent upon us to keep up with the changes. The United States has no, zero, none desire to war with China. As the Afghan leader stated China doesn't give a bloomin' you know what about involving itself in regional political processes, with its military, that is. Russia does and will if prompted. Why is she so unhappy about wanting to stop needless bloodshed. And the refugee problem happened years ago but some are anticipating another with the intent to leave. The U.S. doesn't need to be there. Bemoaning lost lives and money when the Taliban specifically represented a real threat to Afghanistan and most European and American nations says nothing about the circumstances of today. They have changed dramatically. She's still very cute, though.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (21st April 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by BeastOfBologna View Post
    mmm, no, if anything Biden is tickling the Taliban to let them get it out of their system. Negotiations by Biden's administration and the Afghanistan administration both agree that the Taliban have no reason to continue their fighting. It has been pointed out to them that they have been invited to take part in a legitimate government and no longer have a legal, humanitarian, or philosophical reason to go on killing people randomly.

We live in fast times, things that we believe about extant political realities are ghosted daily and it is incumbent upon us to keep up with the changes. The United States has no, zero, none desire to war with China. As the Afghan leader stated China doesn't give a bloomin' you know what about involving itself in regional political processes, with its military, that is. Russia does and will if prompted. Why is she so unhappy about wanting to stop needless bloodshed. And the refugee problem happened years ago but some are anticipating another with the intent to leave. The U.S. doesn't need to be there. Bemoaning lost lives and money when the Taliban specifically represented a real threat to Afghanistan and most European and American nations says nothing about the circumstances of today. They have changed dramatically. She's still very cute, though.
    You are entitled to your opinion, and you are even entitled to your loyalty to the US Democratic Party, misplaced as it ever is. But you are not an investigative journalist. Abby Martin is.

Perhaps you should watch the video again and listen more carefully to what she's saying. She's not against ending bloodshed. She's exposing the hypocrisy and the real agenda behind the US's retreat from Afghanistan ─ a country once raped by the Soviet Union because the USA had tricked them into invading said country and then sponsored and trained an armed resistance with the help of one Osama Bin Laden in order to ─ and I quote the late Zbigniew Brzezinsky, may he rot in hell ─ "... give the Russians their own Vietnam". (And let's not even get into what the US did to the real Vietnam.)

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Cearna (20th April 2021), Dreamtimer (21st April 2021), Elen (20th April 2021), Emil El Zapato (20th April 2021), Wind (20th April 2021)

Thanks
    You are entitled to your opinion, and you are even entitled to your loyalty to the US Democratic Party, misplaced as it ever is. But you is not an investigative journalist. Abby Martin is.

Perhaps you should watch the video again and listen more carefully to what she's saying. She's not against ending the bloodshed. She's exposing the hypocrisy and the real agenda behind the US's retreat from Afghanistan ─ a country once raped by the Soviet Union because the USA had tricked them into invading the said country and then sponsored and trained an armed resistance with the help of one Osama Bin Laden in order to ─ and I quote the late Zbigniew Brzezinski, may he rot in hell ─ "... give the Russians their own Vietnam". (And let's not even get into what the US did to the real Vietnam.)
    I appreciate all that ... I just have a little different perspective is all. I don't want to alienate my buddy based on minor view differences. Party, in this case, is irrelevant to left/right international politics, even values take a back seat, the only thing that matters is National security. Biden and Obama are both domestic-oriented El Presidentes.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (20th April 2021), Cearna (20th April 2021), Dreamtimer (21st April 2021), Elen (20th April 2021), Wind (20th April 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,303 Times in 7,219 Posts
    Zbigniew Brzezinski
    That man must have been the definition of pure evil, a real reptile. On the current political level only Dick Cheney might come close.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (20th April 2021), Dreamtimer (21st April 2021), Elen (21st April 2021), Emil El Zapato (21st April 2021)